2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Carey, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 1,978 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
Hi; My nephew and I would like to start jamming, but don't really know a good place to begin. He's an early intermediate guitar player, and I'm a late intermediate piano player. Any song suggestions and/or other ideas would be much appreciated!

Hailun 178
Guy Offline
I don't have any specific recommendations, but I would start with this: what kinds of recordings excite you? Specifically, which tunes? I'd suggest starting to build a repertoire, based on the answers.

G
G
My first advice is simple:

Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it!

You can scarcely imagine how much you are likely to learn by playing with other people. I would (and did) jump at the chance.

Learn songs you like that aren't too hard at first. Get some chord charts. He can just strum to start with, but you'll need to experiment with different rhythm strategies. Maybe the first one will be "repeat the chords in the RH on the quarter note beats, play the root in the LH on 1 and the Fifth in the LH on 3"

Try varying the RH chord inversion so the top note doesn't jump around too much. i.e. follow a C Major in root position (CEG) with a G Major in 2nd inversion (BDG). This keeps the top note constant, which we tend to like.

Listen to various piano chord rhythms and try to work them out by yourself. Then you can try them out with your friend. Experimenting with someone else gives you more focus and more incentive. It's also fun. See if there's anyone else around on your level. Maybe a bass player or a singer.

Enjoy. Don't worry about not knowing where to start. You'll get past that stumbling block quickly, I predict.

Greg Guarino
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Get a "jam track" play along CD at your local guitar store. It will have a little booklet with the chord progressions for each piece. Make sure you take turns soloing and comping.

Here is a free online site

http://www.bluesblast.com/

Estonia L190 #7004
Casio CDP S350
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the tips, everyone. We got together last night and did Stand by Me, Let it Be, and Brown-eyed Girl. It worked out really well. As it turns out my nephew's wife is a pretty decent singer and will be joining us next time. Now I just have to convince her she has some Maria Muldaur and Etta James in her blood...

Hailun 178
That's great glad you had a good experience with your first jam.

Retired Army reserve Bandsman who now plays for the Joy of Music!!

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission