2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 9 invisible), 1,790 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
OP Offline
P
My 8 yr old daughter (adopted at age 1) was evaluated for a learning disability, I received the feedback friday. She has a nonverbal learning disability and scores 75 (avg is 100) for this area of learning - ie she can't read music or body language, can't do puzzles or build complex designs with blocks. The psychologist suggested I switch from piano to guides or another activity where she can work on social skills and doesn't have to learn reading (music).
I was very upset and actually cried in her office. My daughter and I do 30 min a day piano as I teach her, and it is our daily activity together. She hated group piano (4-5 yrs old) and insisted on quitting, but when I bought the Kawai grand last summer she was so enamoured with it she asked me to teach her. I never thought she would stick with it, but she has. She cannot read music/flash cards/etc but plays all her grade 1 music beautifully from memory and her clapback and playback is good. Technique is not bad, she should be fine for her exam in 3 weeks. Any suggestions on what to do? I would really appreciate them!

Last edited by pianogal37; 05/23/10 06:01 PM.

Bach French Suites No. 6, Allemande and Gigue, Beethoven's Pathetique, Chopin Nocturne 72/1, Fantaisie-Impromptu, Debussy's First Arabesque, Takacs Toccata Op 54, Rachmaninoff Etude-Tableau 33/8.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
If this activity is fulfilling for both of you, I would continue. Given her disability, I would vote for learning lots of stuff by ear and by imitation. She can learn a lot this way and the two of you can still have fun together.

There are lots of creative things you can do. She might really enjoy creating her own pieces. Have her record her compositions and perhaps you can notate them for her, if you think that would be fun.

Your relationship with your daughter is the most important thing and if making music together enhances that, so be it.

I wish you much joy.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
This makes no sense. If she is able to play piano and enjoys doing so, why should she stop doing so because of those particular difficulties. Working together with you daily on piano is a social activity. It is daily interaction on both a mental plane, and a physical one, including body language! Socializing isn't something that only happens in groups and especially less in formalized settings. Does this psychologist play piano and know what it entails?

I agree with this others. If playing the piano and learning with you gives you both pleasure - then why stop? You're not forcing her to learn to read music - you've adapted your teaching to suit her needs - so in that sense there is no problem regarding learning for her.

If the psychologist suggests a social activity like guides - there is nothing to stop your daughter doing both! Why should she have to give one up to do the other?

She has a nonverbal learning disability and scores 75 (avg is 100) for this area of learning - ie she can't read music or body language, can't do puzzles or build complex designs with blocks. The psychologist suggested I switch from piano to guides or another activity where she can work on social skills and doesn't have to learn reading (music).

OK, I understand the diagnosis. People can be recognized as having a learning disability if some of their learning process are significantly disconnected (by a standard deviation or more) from the rest of their learning skills. But I don't get the 'suggestion' to switch away from piano. For starters, the piano is a complex mix of processes. One can learn the abstractions needed to make music without ever reading a note.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
The psychologist doesn't understand that music is not primarily about reading!!! It's about physical action creating sonic effect with emotional consequences!!! Let alone the fact your daughter loves it, you and she have fabulous bonding time through the piano, all that kind of thing.

Seriously, the psychologist is hung up on the idea (as are many of us) that the world is all about reading. It's not. And music is the best proof of that - how many fabulous musicians are there who CAN'T read music? Loads. So, even though of course you are better off to be able to read, life does not come to an end with reading, and in music the reading only facilitates certain kinds of music making.

Teacher, Composer, Writer, Speaker
Working with Hal Leonard, Alfred, Faber, and Australian Music Examination Board
Music in syllabuses by ABRSM, AMEB, Trinity Guildhall, ANZCA, NZMEB, and more
www.elissamilne.wordpress.com
Oh this is psycho babble.

My youngest (I have 4) has adhd, an unspecified learning disability around language and had surgery on his hand because of syndactly - his 3rd and 4th fingers of both hands were fused. I am an expert on the value of various finger exercises for increasing independence.

He is the most musical of my children. He has taken piano from a music therapist since he was 3 ( after his surgery to release his fingers from webbing) and "regular" lessons for the last year (he is ten).

Of course a child with a non-language disability should do something social - play soccer or basketball or get involved with the school play.

I think this is a situation where AND and not OR is the word
But give up piano? I don't know why the therapist would tell you to remove a success from this child.

Dorrie

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianogal37
My 8 yr old daughter (adopted at age 1) was evaluated for a learning disability, I received the feedback friday. She has a nonverbal learning disability and scores 75 (avg is 100) for this area of learning - ie she can't read music or body language, can't do puzzles or build complex designs with blocks. The psychologist suggested I switch from piano to guides or another activity where she can work on social skills and doesn't have to learn reading (music).
I was very upset and actually cried in her office. My daughter and I do 30 min a day piano as I teach her, and it is our daily activity together. She hated group piano (4-5 yrs old) and insisted on quitting, but when I bought the Kawai grand last summer she was so enamoured with it she asked me to teach her. I never thought she would stick with it, but she has. She cannot read music/flash cards/etc but plays all her grade 1 music beautifully from memory and her clapback and playback is good. Technique is not bad, she should be fine for her exam in 3 weeks. Any suggestions on what to do? I would really appreciate them!

I say screw the psychologist. You know your child better than anyone, so I think your gut instinct about music is correct. Your daughter enjoys it anyway. smile

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
S
S
I was once asked to teach a 18 years old autism who is my student's older brother. He learn piano from another teacher who taught him by ear and doesn't know how to read music. Mom wants me to try (even though I told her that I am not experience in teaching 'special need' student) to teach him how to read music. His mom said that it was wonderful that he can play anything by ear, by imitating the teacher, but now his mom wants to know if he can be trained to read music.
I had been honest to mom that I do not know how to approach this type of student, but I will try. Basically, I treat him like normal students and try the normal approach that I normally will do to my other students.
It doesn't work, we stop lesson after 3 months of trying.
I think what I am trying to say here is that your psychologist actually [u][/u] suggested that "no need to learn to read music". I think he doesn't say "no need to learn to play piano". Am I right on this?
So, I guess, your daughter can still learn to play piano.
Are you a teacher? How long has your daughter learn piano before the diagnosis of the psychologist? Can she read music notes? What is her current level now?
I think a different approach will needed for your daughter, but please do not take piano away from her! Piano and music might be her very good gift in her life, you never know!

C
C
RIght, and there are so many ways to learn piano, as you know - tactile, aural, intellectual etc... and probably some ways we don't even know or understand. Your daughter needs to feel a sense of accomplishment about whatever she does - because low self esteem can easily go along with learning disabilities. So if it brings her happiness, and the two of you closeness, do it! Maybe what the psychologist is saying is don't force the reading part, because it will lead to frustration. Though maybe she'll develop her own way of reading the written music, over time. And, wouldn't it be good for her?
Good luck!

Working on:
Chopin: Barcarolle
Schubert: Sonata D959
Rachmaninoff: Daisies
Lutoslawski: Paganini Variations for 2 pianos

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I'm wondering if the suggestion that the psychologist is actually making is that your daughter get more time to work on social skills with other children and expressing concern that piano, being a more solitary activity or one she primarily shares with you, won't provide that. Hopefully it doesn't have to be an either/or situation and she might be able to do both if there is time and interest? It might be worthwhile to explain to the psychologist what you have written here (perhaps you already have) and how your daughter is learning piano without the emphasis on reading. Hope it all works out!

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
It is obvious that it would be silly to stop doing musical activity with your daughter. I would think that there is a misunderstanding, I can't imagine that anyone suggest such a thing.

However, I would think that it would be useful to use written music in some fashion. You may need to be astuctious to find actvities at the measure of the situation, and evidently patient without limit. Howver reading and writing activity is important for everyone at whatever level they are capable. Even the most simple acquisitions in this domaine are a source of great pride and self-estime, and in the mind of the person in question represent an important link with his entourage.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by landorrano
It is obvious that it would be silly to stop doing musical activity with your daughter. I would think that there is a misunderstanding, I can't imagine that anyone suggest such a thing.

However, I would think that it would be useful to use written music in some fashion. You may need to be astuctious to find actvities at the measure of the situation, and evidently patient without limit. Howver reading and writing activity is important for everyone at whatever level they are capable. Even the most simple acquisitions in this domaine are a source of great pride and self-estime, and in the mind of the person in question represent an important link with his entourage.

LOL. You've been waiting all week to use the word astuctious (astucious) haven't you? =p

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by stores
LOL. You've been waiting all week to use the word astuctious (astucious) haven't you? =p

I am IMPRESSED! That's a new one to me, I had to look it up. It seems to precisely describe your meaning.

Now I need to watch for a chance to use it. Knowing I probably don't have enough years left, and certainly my audience will not understand it. But I'm gonna save it just in case.

gotta go practice
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by stores

Write you are.

You see, I am the living pruf of my staytmint uhbuv.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Let your daughter play the damn piano!I had it with Drs "diagnosis..if my mother listened to the Dr.s I would've never functioned in society I learned "everthing" took me way longer..but i still did it..look at Einstein..
just teach your daughter "stick to it ness"

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by TimR

I am IMPRESSED! That's a new one to me, I had to look it up. It seems to precisely describe your meaning.

Ah, now I get your point, Stores, I thought that your were making fun of my spelling.

Astucious is a perfectly normal word. Listen, guys, you need to read books from time to time and stop trying to be like your ex-president who, it seems, said that the lazy French don't even have a word for entrepreneur.

M
M
I do wonder what the reasoning behind telling a student who has a learning disability in reading to not try reading. It's like saying "you can't do that, so don't even bother trying." I wonder what Helen Keller would think? There's an old Chinese proverb that states "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."

It is clear that your daughter *is* playing piano, and while reading may not be the strong point - which I think you should continue spending a little amount of time on it with her regardless - there is absolutely no reason to discontinue as it is enjoyable for both of you. It is a wonderful way for mother and daughter to spend time together, sharing their love of music.

A diagnosis like this should not be used to limit your daughter in any way, but simply to understand where her strengths and weaknesses lie so that you can approach her weaknesses in a way that will help her understand them. I even dislike the term "learning disability". It already has a negative connotation of "you can't do this" rather than simply understanding that this is who your daughter is. It's not a problem, it just IS.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I have worked in Special Education for many years and I have seen multiple children have their "diagnoses" changed, some more than once. This is just one person's opinion. She has seen your daughter for a relatively short amount of time. YOU know your daughter best. Go with what you feel is right.

MANY children with "disorders" benefit from music, some kids respond more to music than anything else.

It is better to be kind than to be right.

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Her score is 75 out of 100 - that means that her capacity at the time of testing is scoring is below average, not that it's nonexistent. Assuming the testing was valid which is a big assumption, she'll just have to work harder with the 75% that that she has. Everyone has to work harder at something. She's going to face nonverbal tasks all her life and apparently the piano is one challenge she's meeting with joy rather than frustration. That's a great gift. Don't throw it away.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission