2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 13 invisible), 1,868 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A word of advice, dullsf: don't even try having a substantive conversation about Mahler with argerichfan. As you can see, argerichfan thinks that anyone who dares to like Mahler is akin to religious extremists/zealots. Of course, argerichfan is blind to the extremism/zealotry within himself.

Oy vey.

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Stockfisch bleiben dicke,
Die Karpfen viel fressen,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SlatterFan
And is his 8th symphony really just a bunch of emotionally immature hooey?
The incredibly intricate counterpoint in the development section of the first movement is certainly not the product of an emotionally immature being.

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Sie bleiben wie alle.
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Andromaque

Another example is that of Sofronitsky and his masterful Scriabin performances which are often attributed to his greater-yet posthumous- familiarity with the composer.

The problem with the Sofronitsky example is that he was equally astonishing in other composers' music, so it is very hard to say that his special Scriabin connection helped him play that music any better than he would have otherwise.

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Some of us (like me) wallow on the bios of a favourite composer ... in a devotee’s attempt to gain insight into the genius prompting of a special piece under hands .

IMHO failure to adopt this course ... can only result in a second-rate rendition.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
Here is the abbreviated/paraphrased discussion of the question in my OP from the latest issue of International Piano magazine. I should add that the magazine discussion was only about Schumann, but I think the viewpoints can be generalized.

"Does knowledge of his life help?"

Imogen Cooper:There are two things one must know about...his mental/physical health and the huge importance in his own life of his writings.

Ashkenazy:The whole biographical question is very personal. Of course, it's very helpful for some but for others everything you need to know is in the music. The biography isn't so much irrlelevant as unnecessary....certainly as a route to musical truth.

Kuerti:Fascinating as it is to know about a composer's life, I've always questioned its relevance to performance(part of a composer's genius is his ability to put his life into those curious blacks marks in the score). In Schumann's case it may play more an important a role than for other composers.

"What about reading the literary works that inspired him(Schumann)?"

Kissin: One can gain certain insight into the character and mood of the music, the literary world that Schumann lived in. But the contrived, artificial character I find in a lot of Romantic literature I never find in Schumann. I think his music is always better than the literature that inspired it.

Kuerti: I don't see any tangible correlation between Hoffmann's Kappelmeister and Schumann's Kreisleriana.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just some opinions by a few terrific pianists. It would be interesting to see what 100 of the top pianists had to say about this topic. There obviously is no correct answer to this question.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 05/23/10 12:07 PM.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
pianoloverus -- thanks for a fascinating thread.

I have subscribed to International Piano Magazine today.
How did you find out about International Piano Magazine?
Reason: Other (please describe below)
"Recommended in a pianoworld.com forum"

Up to a maximum of three, are there any especially good back issues that you can recommend, please?

(Used to post as SlatterFan)
OP Online Content
I think that would depend on one's personal interests. Maybe there's a listing of the main articles in each issue at the IP site?

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I think that would depend on one's personal interests. Maybe there's a listing of the main articles in each issue at the IP site?

There doesn't appear to be, but I will hunt around.

(Used to post as SlatterFan)
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
One thing I have learned here: don't EVER question Mahler's greatness. That is a sin against the Holy Grail. It's always okay to dislike Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Liszt or Wagner, but Mahler? No other composer has such Messianic significance.

If there ever was a greater orchestrator, I'd like to know. His music has a technical address which would probably amaze Mozart, Brahms and Wagner.

I'm just questioning the ultimate result. We don't see it the same way.

Jason
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
smile

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by argerichfan
One thing I have learned here: don't EVER question Mahler's greatness. That is a sin against the Holy Grail. It's always okay to dislike Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Liszt or Wagner, but Mahler? No other composer has such Messianic significance.

If there ever was a greater orchestrator, I'd like to know. His music has a technical address which would probably amaze Mozart, Brahms and Wagner.

I'm just questioning the ultimate result. We don't see it the same way.

I guess I'm a blasphemer, since I dislike Mahler a great deal. Genius? Yes. Composer I want to listen to daily? No.

I find your Elgar much more congenial. smile

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
they all share the same heaven, those old catholics, haha

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I like to think the composers themselves would say no to this question. They want their music to be remembered and not their personal lives.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by argerichfan
Well I love Mahler, but I don't think I've ever accused you of a mortal sin for not sharing that, have I Jason? (I was a bit upset when you bagged Schubert, however... smile )

Du holde Kunst...
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It's perfectly fine to dislike Mahler. What is not fine is implying that anyone who likes Mahler is a misguided religious zealot who unthinkingly worships the composer as a messiah figure.

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Sie bleiben wie alle.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Useful or not, there seems to be an academic factor in playing classical music, so I like knowing about the composer's life and intentions on composing his/her music. smile

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
It's fascinating how Mahler's music attracts such divergent views. I love his music - but then I love Bach, Schubert, Messiaen, Shostakovich, etc, etc.

I'm old enough to remember the days when Mahler was definitely not a main stream composer. When performances were very rare indeed. When many critics looked down their noses at his music. When the only conductors who championed his music (apart from Walter and Klemperer who both knew and worked with Mahler) were Bernstein (in the US) and Barbirolli (in the UK). It's also fascinating that Barbirolli introduced Mahler to the Berlin Philharmonic and that Karajan only took up Mahler with that orchestra after Barbirolli was off the scene.

People associate Mahler with massive forces, and he does use a very large orchestra, but much of the writing has an almost chamber quality to it. Also, I strongly believe that his symphonies should be heard in the concert hall and that CDs give a pale reflection of the reality (but then that is true of most music).

Incidentally, his Symphony No 8 is a curious beast. Some very respected Mahler conductors (e.g. Haitink) don't get on with it at all, whereas some less successful Mahler conductors excel in it. (As far as I am concerned it's my least favourite symphony.)

[Not sure why I made this rambling contribution - but I will let it stand.]

Last edited by John_B; 05/24/10 05:30 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Schubertian
Great thread - hermeneutics - groovy!
3. There are some composers for whom the bio is more important and others for whom it is less. Haydn and Mozart do not demand much more than an appreciation historically than a general sense of the times, I don't think. On the other hand both Schubert and Beethoven knew that their days were numbered towards the ends of their lives and the music shows it I think.

In the case of Mozart I would disagree. I would agree to the extent that his scores seem to be very clear in that the dynamic markings generally convey the mood. But his life went through incredible ups and downs - from superstar to has-been who could barely put food on the table. My impression is that for the most part he was a guy who wanted much of his music to be happy. Not tritely so but I do get the sense of a guy who loved life from, for example, most of the Sonatas. There's an adagio for the piano from 1788 - a bad year - that is a marked contrast in this regard. To me, knowing that he had hit the skids in a big way contributes.

Though of course, maybe it just contributes to my enjoyment. Maybe it isn't necessary but it is useful....

Justin
-------
Bach English Suite #5
Scarlatti Sonata K141 . L422
Mozart Sonata K333
Schubert Impromptu opus 90 D899
Schubert Moment Musicaux opus 94 D780
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission