Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1434025 - 05/10/10 11:07 PM Advice Needed- Pondering on 20 Yr Old Kawai-US6 LE
Cruxify Offline

Good day all pianists,

I was looking for piano in the central area when I came across a Kawai US6 LE. It is 20 yr old, in good original condition and sounds beautifully. Was told/claimed by the shop owner that it is a limited edition(LE) and was imported from Japan. Shop owner then quoted me SGD$5400(USD 3923). I wanted to get a Yamaha U3 in the beginning but now I am so obsessed with the sound made from Kawai... it sounds so so sweet! Hence, I will like to get some advice from all of you to offer a reasonable counter offer. Is the age of the piano a big concern since all parts are original, one year warranty etc. All advice are welcome! Thank you all so much!

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1434028 - 05/10/10 11:13 PM Re: Advice Needed- Pondering on 20 Yr Old Kawai-US6 LE [Re: Cruxify]
gnuboi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
20 years old isn't too old. Most people would recommend having a piano technician check it out to make sure there aren't any expensive repairs or replacements required in the near term.

I also too prefer the sound of Kawai over Yamaha.

Not sure about the price. It's a bit high, but pianos start depreciating a lot slower after 20 years, so I wouldn't expect the seller to go down by half.

#1434033 - 05/10/10 11:23 PM Re: Advice Needed- Pondering on 20 Yr Old Kawai-US6 LE [Re: gnuboi]
Cruxify Offline

Thanks gunboi,
I tried to find out more about this model online but to no avail. Not sure if I should go for this or U3. Do you have any ideas on how much this model is selling or worth? The owner is waiting for my counter offer and I am losing sleep that someone might get this before me.. Ha. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: gnuboi
20 years old isn't too old. Most people would recommend having a piano technician check it out to make sure there aren't any expensive repairs or replacements required in the near term.

I also too prefer the sound of Kawai over Yamaha.

Not sure about the price. It's a bit high, but pianos start depreciating a lot slower after 20 years, so I wouldn't expect the seller to go down by half.

#1434039 - 05/10/10 11:39 PM Re: Advice Needed- Pondering on 20 Yr Old Kawai-US6 LE [Re: Cruxify]
gnuboi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
According to the PW Chart, expect a 20-year old to cost around 45% of new. So how much is a new Yamaha or Kawai? I think the seller might end up selling between SGD $3900-$4900, given my tiny bit of experience with used piano pricing. But you are in Singapore and I am in the US... totally different worlds.

The best way is to look for more ads of similar pianos to get an idea how your seller prices pianos.

#1434115 - 05/11/10 02:38 AM Re: Advice Needed- Pondering on 20 Yr Old Kawai-US6 LE [Re: gnuboi]
pianobroker Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Hollywood CA.
I've pretty much had all the Kawai US.. mdls. over the past years one time or another. Most with the exception of the US50,US6X,US8X all the other US..mdls. are Gray market as for imports into the USA.
They are US55,US60,US63H,US70,US75,US5X,US7K. I don't ever recall a US6LE though Kawai made hundreds of mdls.for different markets worldwide. Are you sure it is not a US6X?
A great piano and vintage if thats the case.
Does it look like this ?

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/DSC00004.JPG

Edited by pianobroker (05/11/10 02:44 AM)
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE

#1434204 - 05/11/10 06:32 AM Re: Advice Needed- Pondering on 20 Yr Old Kawai-US6 LE [Re: pianobroker]
Cruxify Offline

Originally Posted By: pianobroker
I've pretty much had all the Kawai US.. mdls. over the past years one time or another. Most with the exception of the US50,US6X,US8X all the other US..mdls. are Gray market as for imports into the USA.
They are US55,US60,US63H,US70,US75,US5X,US7K. I don't ever recall a US6LE though Kawai made hundreds of mdls.for different markets worldwide. Are you sure it is not a US6X?
A great piano and vintage if thats the case.
Does it look like this ?

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/DSC00004.JPG

Hi Pianobroker,
Thank you for your sharing. I have double checked the model and it is indeed the US6LE(from the interior). It is from the 1990 to 1991 and looks just like the picture uploaded. May I know what model do you call it in the States? Thank you!!!!

#1434415 - 05/11/10 01:00 PM Re: Advice Needed- Pondering on 20 Yr Old Kawai-US6 LE [Re: Cruxify]
pianobroker Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Hollywood CA.
Probably similar to the US63H LE (pic) or the US6X. Since you are not in the USA it is most likely the same as the US63H LE without the neotex keytops.
That is about the same vintage as your US6LE. I have the US63H and they are excellent pianos.

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/DSC00005.JPG
http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/DSC00006.JPG

Edited by pianobroker (05/11/10 02:04 PM)
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE

#1435582 - 05/13/10 06:40 AM Re: Advice Needed- Pondering on 20 Yr Old Kawai-US6 LE [Re: pianobroker]
Cruxify Offline

Originally Posted By: pianobroker
Probably similar to the US63H LE (pic) or the US6X. Since you are not in the USA it is most likely the same as the US63H LE without the neotex keytops.
That is about the same vintage as your US6LE. I have the US63H and they are excellent pianos.

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/DSC00005.JPG
http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/DSC00006.JPG

Thank you Pianobroker,
US6LE has been delivered to my home on a 6 month trial. Lesson begins on Monday... Pray for me, 30 yr old learning piano after a 20 long year wait. Will post pics and reviews soon. Thank you all for the advice and info given. Bless you.

#1435590 - 05/13/10 07:22 AM Re: Advice Needed- Pondering on 20 Yr Old Kawai-US6 LE [Re: Cruxify]
ChasT Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia
Congrats on the new piano! I really like big Kawais.

Thirty isn't old. Last fall, I started lessons again after a 45 year break. I'm sure it'll come to you a lot more quickly than to me. Just enjoy. It's all good.

Charles

#1435737 - 05/13/10 11:55 AM Re: Advice Needed- Pondering on 20 Yr Old Kawai-US6 LE [Re: ChasT]
Cruxify Offline

Originally Posted By: ChasT
Congrats on the new piano! I really like big Kawais.

Thirty isn't old. Last fall, I started lessons again after a 45 year break. I'm sure it'll come to you a lot more quickly than to me. Just enjoy. It's all good.

Charles

Haha... Thanks Charles. Very comforting to know it is not too late. I am sure it is all going to be so worth it to learn how to play the piano. My first lesson ever... trying to watch some videos on youtube to get a head start. Cheers!

#1444606 - 05/27/10 08:40 AM Re: Advice Needed- Pondering on 20 Yr Old Kawai-US6 LE [Re: Cruxify]
achengms Offline

Hello. I am new here and was also looking for a piano and this thread seemed interesting. Can someone please let me know the best (and most value for money) piano and from where to buy in Singapore. Note I am a newbie pianist as well.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha U3 - How old is too old?
by Yekul
10/25/14 09:53 PM
Digital Vs. Acoustic is apples and oranges so far
by harpon
10/25/14 08:40 PM
the sound of unrestored Erards
by Michael Sayers
10/25/14 08:34 PM
how best to match natural mahogany on plain wood case parts
by msks
10/25/14 08:26 PM
Heading to the junk pile...
by Emmery
10/25/14 07:39 PM
Who's Online
115 registered (Anne'sson, anamnesis, Almaviva, alans, 36 invisible), 1274 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76656 Members
42 Forums
158498 Topics
2327651 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission