2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,808 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 46 of 50 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 49 50
M
M
I bought a CP5 two weeks ago, and I can hardly stop playing the thing.

Such a clear, expressive piano. Fat and funky electric pianos. All the organs a guy could ask for.

The action might not be GH, but I don't miss it. It's as though the keys enjoy being played.

However...

Every now and then a few of the keys (2 or 3) produce a clicking sound. Has anyone encountered anything like this with a Yamaha? Just a very light, very quick click. But noticeably not the soft frump of the other keys when pressed. And not every time. I'd hate to think I've got a defective $2,600 piano.

And I might be a complete moron, but I'm certainly not a sound engineer with a degree from MIT. Which it appears you must be to understand much of the absurd language in the owner's manual. (I remember buying two separate third-party spriral books for my Korg M1 just to explain the basics).

So can anyone help me figure out how to get the drum kits to play? I can play all the pre-recorded patterns (there are 100), but I imagine there must be a way to lay down original drum tracks using the keys. I'm pretty good at figuring out how these consoles work, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this. Anyone? Thanks.

A
A
I went from a 700gx to cp50 just yesterday...I really like it.

Greetings, Yamaha aficionados, and others. I've read each post here and now feel I already know some of you, lol. Ordered my CP5 a couple weeks ago. On delayed delivery to the store. The wait is killing me!

My introductory thread:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1439708.html#Post1439708

Is it just me, or has the silence has become almost deafening on the CP line? Can't help but wonder if I'm making the right decision.

Last edited by R.I.P. Utopians; 05/28/10 11:38 AM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by R.I.P. Utopians
Is it just me, or has the silence has become almost deafening on the CP line? Can't help but wonder if I'm making the right decision.

Everyone is over on the RD-700GXF threads. smile

500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member

I'm sure your decision was a good one. thumb
I've not yet had the chance to try the CP5 here in Europe, but am looking forward to when my nearest dealer gets one set up for demo purposes.

Currently working on:-
C Major scale (r/h only - starting with the pinkie finger)......

Dear Noah,
We could have sworn you said the ark wasn't leaving till 5.
Yours sincerely,
The Unicorns

(Sent from my Sinclair ZX81)..........

------------------------------

Originally Posted by dewster

Everyone is over on the RD-700GXF threads. smile

Yes. Those beautiful SN sounds aren't helping any. crazy

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe

I'm sure your decision was a good one. thumb
I've not yet had the chance to try the CP5 here in Europe, but am looking forward to when my nearest dealer gets one set up for demo purposes.
That's just it. There doesn't seem to be a rush to post positive experience with the CP5, (or the CP1 for that matter), and the CP5 reportedly hit the streets a while ago. :crickets:

Last edited by R.I.P. Utopians; 05/28/10 01:03 PM.
Z
Z
I'm excited to try one but need to wait until late June/July before I can commit to a purchase. The 700GXF is certainly in contention and perhaps by the time I'm ready the Casio PX-3 will be available to test out. Still reading all I can about the CP-5

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
The most positive posts on the CP1/CP5 date to before dewster's squiggly lines and the first purchasers' lament and subsequent returns. Hopefully most of those satisfied with their new CPs are too busy playing them to care about posting here.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S

R.I.P. Utopians #1445604 05/28/10 06:33 PM
P
P

From my own experience, it's a mixed bag. Some good, some bad.

I've had a CP5 here for two weeks. I've spent a lot of time with it, so while I don't know everything, I can get around on it well. I've done a lot of editing, and stored those edits maybe two hundred times or so.

Initially I had a good impression, because as the next generation of the Yamaha CP line, there are some improvements. Smaller profile, lighter weight, better layout regarding output jacks, etc. But then Yamaha Support told me that these CPs are NOT a next generation of anything - they are apparently some kind of branch of the tree all their own. Yamaha wants to keep selling their CP33 and CP300, so they intentionally left off of the new CPs some critical features that the old CPs had.

One in particular is probably going to be a deal breaker for me - the fact that the left/right part volume knobs are only good for controlling internal sounds. I think it is very close to deceptive advertising, because they are in the exact same place as on the CP300 and CP33, they do the exact same things, only they left off the crucial function of being able to assign them to external midi control. The CP stage pianos are minimally capable of being controllers in the first place, so why they would strip them down even more makes no sense, unless it's purely to keep customers buying the earlier models.

The sound of the instrument does not knock me out. I've got other synths and keyboards that sound better - bigger, deeper, fuller, more musical sounds. All of the parameter controls in the world won't make up for a generally smaller less musical sound. I was counting on this thing taking me back to when I had a Rhodes electric piano, and Yamaha marketing has been trumpeting the amazing EPs in it. But to my ear, they are just so-so. Nothing amazing about them. The main piano sample/model is fine, but again, I'm not amazed by it or anything. It's workable in a mix.

The action is lighter than other Yamaha keyboards, which could be a plus, depending on what you like. I've never been a big fan of any Yamaha actions, including their acoustic grands. They are ok, but they always seems heavier than necessary or optimal to me. It's a nice action on the CP5 and CP1, BUT, there are some problems with inconsistent velocity levels from note to note, and I sometimes wonder if this new action they've built is part of the culprit.

The knobs and switches are ok, but nothing to write home about. The small gray plastic knobs seem pretty cheap, but they work ok. The middle large black knobs for editing work well, but as mentioned previously are somewhat worrisome because they could be damaged easily because they stick up pretty far.

Personally, there are enough cons to this new CP5 that I have two other stage pianos coming here in the next few days that I will consider buying instead. I was really pumped to get a new CP5, but for me, the reality does not live up to the hype.

Just for the record, the reality has lived up to the hype for me before, so it can happen. My Bosendorfer piano, Cranesong STC-8 compressor, and GML 8200 EQ all come to mind in that regard. For me, the Yamaha CP5 stage piano is not in their league.

Mychal

Peakly #1445701 05/28/10 09:40 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
This evening I went down to the local Guitar Center to take a look at the Roland RD-700GX. After playing with it for a while I noticed the CP5 and CP50 sitting there. Amazingly, they were all plugged in and connected to working amps. This was my first time seeing any of these keyboards.

The keys of the CP50 feel like standard plastic Yamaha, which is to say not bad, and the wooden keys of the CP5 are interesting and a bit lighter. I played around with the CP5 and really couldn't figure out what mode it was in. For all the dedicated buttons and knobs and stuff, the interface was beyond my comprehension. Which is kind of strange because I can usually figure interfaces out rather quickly.

The RD on the other hand is pretty simple. Voice selection is pressing a button and spinning the dial, layering happens when you press the part buttons, layer mix is the associated slider, transpose works logically, effects have an on/off button and depth dial - the only thing I didn't get was how to select different patterns for the arpeggiator. Even the drawbar organ is fairly easy to adjust. I'm pretty sure my wife and her students could thrash about on it and come up with useful results.

I hadn't looked at the operating manuals for any of them before I entered the store. IMO Yamaha seriously needs to work on their user interfaces, they are exceedingly and unnecessarily cryptic.

dewster #1445755 05/28/10 11:52 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by dews
I hadn't looked at the operating manuals for any of them before I entered the store. IMO Yamaha seriously needs to work on their user interfaces, they are exceedingly and unnecessarily cryptic.

I'm glad you finally got a look at the keyboards, but sorry to hear you couldn't get the CP5 up and running. Maybe take a quick look at the manual online and give it another chance when you can. I'd be interested to hear what you think.

Before I try a keyboard, especially a Yamaha, I always check out their manual, because like you said, you have to know their secret codes! I've even written certain key menu things down to take along, because I know once I get in that store with the dude jamming away on the rap sequencer who always seems to be there, I'll forget what the heck I'm doing.

A good thing to do for the CP5 might be to get it into its preset mode, and then just start scrolling through them. There are a lot of dumb ones, but there are some that show the keyboard better. To your left are part buttons and knobs, so you can turn those off and on to hear the stacked parts on the performances they've created. And right in front of you turn off and on the pre-amp, mod-fx, and pwr amp buttons to hear them go on and off. And to look inside their menus, just hold any of those switches down, and you can start scrolling through the different parameters.

I have to tell you, I actually like a lot of how they've laid out the editing part of the keyboard. I got used to it fast once I saw what was going on. But it also revealed what I think is another serious omission on the machine - the inability to copy parts and fx around inside the keyboard. It can take hours to get a decent patch, and it would be very helpful if you could copy and paste that around more freely.

Mychal

Peakly #1445760 05/29/10 12:15 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
...the dude jamming away on the rap sequencer who always seems to be there...

Lol!

While visiting the US on business a few years ago I visited a handful of the large musical instrument chain stores - without fail each one had a chap working on a R&B/hip-hop sequence on a Fantom or Motif.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
dewster #1445862 05/29/10 06:24 AM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M

I hadn't looked at the operating manuals for any of them before I entered the store. I

I always recommend knowing the basics ahead of time, starting with how to do a factory reset.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I played around with the CP5 and really couldn't figure out what mode it was in. For all the dedicated buttons and knobs and stuff, the interface was beyond my comprehension. Which is kind of strange because I can usually figure interfaces out rather quickly.

That was also my first impression ... and I've owned the P250 and CP300. It took me about a week of playing with the keyboard and rereading the owner's manual to become fairly comfortable with it.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
Kawai James #1445890 05/29/10 08:19 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James
While visiting the US on business a few years ago I visited a handful of the large musical instrument chain stores - without fail each one had a chap working on a R&B/hip-hop sequence on a Fantom or Motif.

That's hilarious. In the GC last night there was a guy at a Motif with a canned hip-hop riff on infinite repeat, speakers all the way up. I'm not sure what he was doing, the loop never changed and he seemed to be just sitting there. Luckily for me the DPs were located in a separate DP room. There was a little kid in there playing some built-in rhythms and dancing around, but he was no match for my sealed headphones.

Peakly #1445903 05/29/10 09:17 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Peakly
...sorry to hear you couldn't get the CP5 up and running. Maybe take a quick look at the manual online and give it another chance when you can.

I normally prepare for these things, but it was a spur-of-the-moment trip. I wanted to be out of the house for a couple of hours while my wife was giving a group class, so I figured, what the heck, go hit the GC and check out the RD.

On the CP, every time I played a key a automatic rhythm would start and I'd have to hit the stop button. Pressing the bank buttons changed the voice, but not to what I expected. There were strange characters on the little blue display that looked like Klingon. I was completely baffled. It's a little too much like our Motif rack unit, where, even with the manual in front of me, I'm never really sure what I'm doing, and I'm constantly scolded by the LCD to not turn the unit off while it's busy doing something or other (writing to flash I presume, rather hair-raising).

I'll give it another go when my wife demos the RD, but I'm looking through the manual right now and getting an instant headache.

For example, here is the text introducing the EXIT/jump to edit button:

[EXIT/jump to edit] button (pages 21, 34) Press this button to return to the Performance screen from the parameter setting screen for the currently selected block (page 31), from the Utility screen, or from the File screen. Furthermore, by pressing the [PRE-AMP] button, the [MODFX] button, the [PWR-AMP] button, the [REVERB] button, the [MASTER COMPRESSOR] button, or a part button while holding down the [EXIT/jump to edit] button, you can jump directly to the corresponding parameter setting screen. You can also press the [STORE/ASSIGN] button while holding down the [EXIT/jump to edit] button to call up the screen for assigning parameters to Knobs 1 to 3.

Who in their right mind would make a button as basic and essential as the exit button do anything but exit? And the store button should never, ever be touched unless you want to store something, period. But pressing both of these essential / scary buttons at the same time and in a particular way inexplicably takes you to a screen where you can assign functions to the knobs? It's like there's some kind of UI obfuscation contest going on in the Yamaha software lab.

Last edited by dewster; 05/29/10 11:58 AM.
dewster #1445941 05/29/10 10:22 AM
Who in their right mind would make a button as basic and essential as the exit button do anything but exit? And the store button should never, ever be touched unless you want to store something, period. But pressing both of these essential / scary buttons at the same time inexplicably takes you to a screen where you can assign functions to the knobs? It's like there's some kind of UI obfuscation contest going on in the Yamaha software lab.
User interface design isn't easy, and they often get it VERY wrong. There are plenty of good guidelines to work from. Yet designers commit the same atrocious errors time after time. Sux, dunit?

Page 46 of 50 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 49 50

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission