Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1444848 - 05/27/10 03:19 PM Help with Steinway Duo-Art B. Grand Piano
Chatsworth Offline

Hello,

I was just curious if anyone might have some information about this piano. I have talked to Steinway and they even seemed a little stumped.

1931 oak Steinway Aeolian duo-art. Double legged. Obviously was a reproducer with an external player I believe. Serial # 273178.
OK according to Steinway rep on phone. Piano was sold to Aeolian as a raw piano where Aeolian installed the player components. My question is about the case. carved oak veneer, highly decorative. Squared rear as opposed to rounded. Anyone have a clue about maybe designer or where/when this was done?
Thanks in advance...

~ John

Edited by Chatsworth (05/27/10 03:32 PM)

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1445510 - 05/28/10 03:36 PM Re: Help with Steinway Duo-Art B. Grand Piano [Re: Chatsworth]
James Senior Offline

Loc: England
Hi,
you may want to post the question on the Mechanical Music Digest:
http://www.mmdigest.com/

#1445832 - 05/29/10 03:53 AM Re: Help with Steinway Duo-Art B. Grand Piano [Re: Chatsworth]
turrin150 Offline

Loc: Ridgewood, NJ
John,
You have a stunning piano! I'm a collector of Duo-Art pianos. Your piano did not have the spool box above the keyboard as in most Duo-Art reproducers. (You can see/hear many great examples of Steinway Duo-Art grands on YouTube). Your's was probably one of the rare Concertola models where the roll mechanism was housed in a separate cabinet (matching the piano case) and connected to the piano with a type of hose-pipe. These systems were electro-pneumatic. One would operate the player mechanism via a remote control box (connected to the Concertola cabinet by an electrical cable) with buttons to activate each roll. The Duo-Art Concertola was introduced in very late 20's and were made for both the Duo-Art reproducing piano and the Aeolian reproducing home pipe organ. Very few of these Concertolas were made and were extremely complex and difficult to maintain. The few that survive have been restored by collectors. Bob Taylor, one of the foremost experts on the reproducing piano and reproducing Aeolian pipe organs has posted information on the Concertola on his site: http://members.socket.net/~rtaylor/concertola.html.

#1445931 - 05/29/10 10:10 AM Re: Help with Steinway Duo-Art B. Grand Piano [Re: turrin150]
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Hello Chatsworth,

This cabinet is an art case based on the Spanish style Steinway Duo-Art cabinet. Although the general style changed year to year, they all has the turned legs, like this one:

The squared off tail is only cabinet, but you probably knew that. Under the built up cabinet is a standard bent rim.

It is cool furniture, thats for sure, but I need to say that just as there differing qualities of rebuilders out there, the Ampico systems can be rebuilt to varying degrees of quality as well - just a word to the wise.

Good Luck,
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#1445953 - 05/29/10 10:42 AM Re: Help with Steinway Duo-Art B. Grand Piano [Re: Rich Galassini]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Another Steinway with, I think, the same legs but a different case:
http://www.grandgrands.com/www/pianopg/s30fhmwf.jpg

Edited by pianoloverus (05/29/10 10:43 AM)

#1445988 - 05/29/10 11:30 AM Re: Help with Steinway Duo-Art B. Grand Piano [Re: pianoloverus]
Chatsworth Offline

Hey guys.. thanks for the input.. I contacted Steinway as stated and in the paperwork sent to me... the piano is a 1931 Model L case J6299, mahogany New York Living Room Grand. Completed on Jan 29th 1931 and sold "raw" directly to Aeolian who installed the player system. From there Steinway looses track and has no more records.
The inner case is indeed mahogany but the veneer is oak and multiple woods. The work is incredible.

What do they mean by RAW? Im guessing unfinished and not toally complete, especially if work will be done to cabinet, works, ETC.

@ Turrin: Yeah, the player was seperate. Doesn't have the extended keys or pin block .(sorry, not too familar with main word usage on pianos, I deal with furniture in general)

Previous owner had the insides rebuilt. Not sure by who or what was changed exactly. I dont have the paperwork yet. The owner here plays alot. We also have a 1980 Model B grand and he prefers to play the 1931 as he says it sounds better & feels better.

Any idea what would be a fair asking price, or should I do more research? Some of the wood guys that come through here say find the carver or architect who did the case first. I tend to agree with them totally.

Thanks again. Below are some detailed pictures of the side of case.

~ John

#1445993 - 05/29/10 11:36 AM Re: Help with Steinway Duo-Art B. Grand Piano [Re: Chatsworth]
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
What an exquisite work of art!

#1445999 - 05/29/10 11:41 AM Re: Help with Steinway Duo-Art B. Grand Piano [Re: sophial]
Chatsworth Offline

BTW, all remnants of the player are gone. All pipes, hoses, works ETC

#1446056 - 05/29/10 01:01 PM Re: Help with Steinway Duo-Art B. Grand Piano [Re: Chatsworth]
PianoMan1958 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tennessee
very nice woodwork

Plays:
Yamaha C5 grand (home)
Kawai KG5 grand (church)
Roland RD300GX digital (jazz group)

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"Break Free" by Ariana Grande on Piano
by Zach Evans
14 minutes 3 seconds ago
V-Grand delivery on Friday!
by TonyB
14 minutes 36 seconds ago
Kawai CE220 CA65 cabinet vibrations
by origen
Today at 04:43 PM
Baldwin 243 for Grade 4 students - Advice please!
by LeslieG
Today at 04:39 PM
Exorcist movie main theme
by Danijelcro
Today at 12:03 PM
Who's Online
148 registered (A Guy, accordeur, 36251, 45 invisible), 1431 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76297 Members
42 Forums
157714 Topics
2316610 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission