Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1446639 - 05/30/10 02:30 PM Brendel's Strange Repertoire
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
I think he played mostly Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert and liszt. It seems quite strange to me that a single Romantic composer would appeal so much to someone whose other rep was so strongly centered on the Classical Austrian Germanic music. He seems to have loved Liszt but played almost no other Romantic composers (Chopin, Schumann, Brahms) or Impressionists (Ravel, Debussy.

Of course, one likes what one likes. But I don't think other pianists who play mostly the German-Austrian classical and early Romantic repertoire play(ed) much Liszt. I'm thinking of pianists like Schnabel, Serkin(although I guess he varied more from the Germanic literature than Brendel), Uchida, Fischer, etc.

Thoughts?

Edited by pianoloverus (05/30/10 02:38 PM)

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1446641 - 05/30/10 02:39 PM Re: Brendel's Strange Repertoire [Re: pianoloverus]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
I have a recording of Brendel playing Schumann's Fantasiestucke, and another set of fantasy pieces by Schumann that escape me right now...

#1446642 - 05/30/10 02:43 PM Re: Brendel's Strange Repertoire [Re: pianoloverus]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
I don't find his repertoire strange at all. He certainly is a champion of Liszt and while probably best known for his Beethoven (my personal favorite), he did venture outside of his comfort zone and became closely associated with the Schoenberg Concerto. Believe it, or not, his first recording was of the Prokofiev 5th concerto. He's one of my idols and I'm extremely disappointed that I was never able to hear him live.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1446643 - 05/30/10 02:47 PM Re: Brendel's Strange Repertoire [Re: stores]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
There are videos of Brendel playing Beethoven's Hammerklavier Sonata on Youtube that are impressive, also.

#1446645 - 05/30/10 02:51 PM Re: Brendel's Strange Repertoire [Re: stores]
Ridicolosamente Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Miami, Florida, USA
I don't find Brendel's Liszt repertory strange at all.

If you've ever seen The Art of Piano, I believe it was Sandor that said "we like to classify pianists..." as in, "why do we do that? And what's the use?" A great pianist is a great pianist (queue: someone bringing up Horowitz's Beethoven...)

Also, there's an interview with Uchida on YT where she talks about her "peculiar" repertory, namely Ravel, Messiaen etc.

-Daniel

#1446646 - 05/30/10 02:52 PM Re: Brendel's Strange Repertoire [Re: Orange Soda King]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
He played Stravinsky's Pétrouchka and Balakirev's Islamey on Vox/Turnabout in the 60's and Mussorgski's Pictures, one wouldn't believe that nowadays, and he played them wonderfully, on record that is, I don't think he ever played them really, i.e. live..

Chopin op.28/20/31/39/54

#1446647 - 05/30/10 02:54 PM Re: Brendel's Strange Repertoire [Re: dolce sfogato]
Mattardo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Brendel has a very fascinating essay on concert repetoire, programs and his views on how to pick a good one, also speaks about concerts and how to 'balance' pieces. He's a very interesting writer, in addition to being a pianist - if you haven't read any of his essays give them a read. It's impossible to agree with everything he says, of course, but he has an extreme talent for putting musical ideas into words.

#1446649 - 05/30/10 02:56 PM Re: Brendel's Strange Repertoire [Re: dolce sfogato]
Damon Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Here is his strangest.

#1446650 - 05/30/10 02:57 PM Re: Brendel's Strange Repertoire [Re: dolce sfogato]

Originally Posted By: dolce sfogato
He played Stravinsky's Pétrouchka and Balakirev's Islamey on Vox/Turnabout in the 60's and Mussorgski's Pictures, one wouldn't believe that nowadays, and he played them wonderfully, on record that is, I don't think he ever played them really, i.e. live..
Yes, I'm aware of that because there are a few recordings by composers like that on Youtube. But for a long time during his career he seemes to have played almost exclusively the composers I listed.

#1446657 - 05/30/10 03:06 PM Re: Brendel's Strange Repertoire [Re: pianoloverus]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I think I can understand why he combined the Viennese Classics with Liszt, the KISS must be the missing link, haha, but seriously, in a time when Franz/Ferenc wasn't considered by many to be highbrow music, Alfred Brendel did exacttly the right thing: play him, and play him well!, I think his, Brendel's that is, legacy would be, amongst other things, getting Liszt being taken seriously, a great job!

Chopin op.28/20/31/39/54

#1446660 - 05/30/10 03:06 PM Re: Brendel's Strange Repertoire [Re: Ridicolosamente]

Originally Posted By: Ridicolosamente
Also, there's an interview with Uchida on YT where she talks about her "peculiar" repertory, namely Ravel, Messiaen etc.
Yes, but she says her main rep is the German Austrian Classical rep plus some contemporary.

#1446672 - 05/30/10 03:36 PM Re: Brendel's Strange Repertoire [Re: Mattardo]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mattardo
Brendel has a very fascinating essay on concert repetoire, programs and his views on how to pick a good one, also speaks about concerts and how to 'balance' pieces. He's a very interesting writer, in addition to being a pianist - if you haven't read any of his essays give them a read. It's impossible to agree with everything he says, of course, but he has an extreme talent for putting musical ideas into words.

Yes, very true. His essays are excellent. He also writes poetry.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

#1446673 - 05/30/10 03:38 PM Re: Brendel's Strange Repertoire [Re: pianoloverus]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
... for a long time during his career he seemes to have played almost exclusively the composers I listed.

What's your point?

♪ ≠ $

#1446676 - 05/30/10 03:45 PM Re: Brendel's Strange Repertoire [Re: stores]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: stores
I don't find his repertoire strange at all. He certainly is a champion of Liszt and while probably best known for his Beethoven (my personal favorite), he did venture outside of his comfort zone and became closely associated with the Schoenberg Concerto. Believe it, or not, his first recording was of the Prokofiev 5th concerto. He's one of my idols and I'm extremely disappointed that I was never able to hear him live.

I don't know if it is on YouTube still, but I very much enjoyed his filmed & self commentated journey through Liszt's Années de Pelerinnage.

#1446682 - 05/30/10 03:52 PM Re: Brendel's Strange Repertoire [Re: Horowitzian]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Horowitzian

I don't know if it is on YouTube still, but I very much enjoyed his filmed & self commentated journey through Liszt's Années de Pelerinnage.

I have the DVD and it's excellent.

♪ ≠ $

#1446684 - 05/30/10 03:55 PM Re: Brendel's Strange Repertoire [Re: stores]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Might have to add that to my next Amazon order. smile

#1446693 - 05/30/10 04:19 PM Re: Brendel's Strange Repertoire [Re: Horowitzian]
John_B Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bristol, UK
Brendel used to have a pretty wide repertoire but in recent decades he concentrated almost exclusively on Haydn, Beethoven, Schubert and Mozart (whose music, he said, was the hardest of all to play). All performed with great insight.

#1446702 - 05/30/10 04:27 PM Re: Brendel's Strange Repertoire [Re: John_B]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

and he was so right in just staying where he was most comfortable, like Edwin Fischer, Arthur Schnabel, Wilhelm Kempff and the likes, he'll be regarded as one of those one day.

Chopin op.28/20/31/39/54

#1446839 - 05/30/10 07:33 PM Re: Brendel's Strange Repertoire [Re: stores]
ABC Vermonter Offline

Originally Posted By: Horowitzian

I have the DVD and it's excellent.

I also enjoy the DVD as well. Highly recommended. The only downside is that his English is hard to understand; just wish that the DVD comes with English subtitle.

#1446948 - 05/30/10 10:04 PM Re: Brendel's Strange Repertoire [Re: ABC Vermonter]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
He is not known for his Bach interpretations, and in fact- I think- he has not recorded much Bach, as suggested by PLUS. However I find myself often listening to his Italian Concerto and Chromatic Fantasy and Fugue, I find his playing unusually beautiful and joyous.
I also never saw him live and tried, unsuccessfully, to make it to one of his lectures at Juilliard last year (one was about Schubert and the other about interpretation I believe).

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
146 registered (Almaviva, 36251, ADWyatt, accordeur, 48 invisible), 1666 Guests and 39 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74257 Members
42 Forums
153603 Topics
2251253 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
DIsassemble Kawai MP10/MP11
by prox
Today at 10:59 AM
Action regulating
by pater57
Today at 08:59 AM
Kurzweil SP5-8 as main studio keyboard/stage piano
by Barty
Today at 08:33 AM
Greg Pauley in Concert June 1st, Sunday 3:30pm
by Larry Buck
Today at 07:58 AM
Happy Easter!
by Marko in Boston
Today at 06:58 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission