2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, 4 invisible), 1,288 guests, and 287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 37 of 341 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 340 341
B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B
Dave,
great version of Falling Grace. I love your relaxed groove, you make it sound so effortless. The whole piece has a really nice shape the way the solo builds and then comes down again.
'Very early' is one of my faves as well. I just got a great cd by Bobo Stenson with an amazing version on it, hopefully should be good for inspiration.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Dave, great to see you participating. That was quick and nicely done. I couldn't tell it was Falling Grace though until I got the hint at the end. Looks like you wanted to keep the KC people guessing. smile We're off to a great start.

I mentioned these two tune choices before and no one made a comment. But I think they are really good learning tunes. They were on a list my teacher wanted me to do. Now I don't know which to start first.

One of the interesting things about Very Early is that the progression has no functional relationship often as well. Not unlike Nef. Adding to that is a Waltz rhythm. However, to the ear, it's much easier to follow than Nef and there will be no dispute about changes, I'm sure.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzwee
However, to the ear, it's much easier to follow than Nef and there will be no dispute about changes, I'm sure. Unless that jerk Scep shows up.

Hey, that's not fair! Stop calling me names! smile

Dave, The sound/recording is beautiful. Playing has your signature sound. I find your playing readily identifiable. I really like the straight timing. It is busy and calm at the same time. Excellent take.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Dave, I've known your playing for awhile and I now realize it is very distinctive with the straight style. I just realized that 7 hit the nail on the head. Of course it's always with these lush voicings that show how much time you spend hammering it out. I think voicings have to be your specialty. Sounds great!

I haven't figured out that tune yet, but I'm not giving up quite yet.

Btw - if any of you get tired of some of the named tunes (whatever we come up with) you can all do some reharms just like KC. I'm sure we shall all be entertained while the less experienced among us take a little longer on new tunes.

No rules here as I said.

My Jazz Blog

D
D
Dave - your Falling Grace is terrific - really sensitive touch on a great sounding piano (which one in your collection was it?)

My offerings are more modest in terms of complexity. I have a Youtube 'Very Early' video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgqRaAVAxCc
that is fairly straight ahead. It has been annotated with a few comments on different techniques used which might encourage others to have a go at a great Bill Evans song to play.
And I really enjoy playing 'Falling Grace'. I did a midi file ages ago, and more recently a bass player picked it up from my web site and using great technology/recording skills re-cast it using his bass playing and a variety of midi instruments.
http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=8423744&q=hi&newref=1

Doug

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
My goodness, even Doug is here. It's a Youtube convention. Welcome Doug! I'm sure I've linked many a video of yours in the Jazz Thread 1. I've learned from your videos/mp3's for so many years all the way from LJP.

And lovely playing of Very Early. I've never thought of Very Early as a ballad and this is a very, very nice example. You made it sound so easy.

Glad you're lurking around.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by scepticalforumguy

Hey, that's not fair! Stop calling me names! smile

Hey! I almost missed this smile Stop lurking you fool. Post some music smile smile

I know what I'll do. If you post your music elsewhere, I'll copy the link over here and criticize you over here. wink No escape buddy.

We like you here. Though you are a bit of a pain...

Can you handle Very Early? Should be Child's play.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
By the way, any more tune suggestions? I might suggest Invitation as well but I know many of you play that. But at least for those who want to workshop a beautiful complex tune.

Maybe other tunes of this nature should be kept on the list, and the advanced players can always reharm if they know the base version.

I think it would be helpful to have a collection of contribution examples.

Thoughts?

Personally, I've started on Very Early and Falling Grace.

My Jazz Blog

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Hmm, for tunes, I was thinking of taking pop or rock songs and "jazzing" them up. Like what Herbie Hancock did with his New Standards album, all mainstream songs. I especially like Peter Gabriel's Mercy Street so I will try that one. Sting's got some good songs too, Fragile, Every breath you take, Message in a Bottle.

Interesting that Andy Summers, the guitarist for the Police is a huge jazzer, he's done pure jazz albums.

Him and Sting did a nice Round Midnight. and of course Sting's done tons of jazz covers, especially for movie soundtracks.

Something fun to try. I like standards but the main thing is to play music we like, of any genre.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Hey Wiz, just wanted to explain that the purpose is to develop some new skills. So it isn't about showing off what we know but to see if we can play something difficult and then learn from it.

That's why I was asking for tunes that are more complex. I do believe that each time we stress our brain to figure out a new concept, we grow and our handling of even basic tunes begins to improve.

It's a fairly traditional way of learning Jazz.

My Jazz Blog

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
True, learning and mastery of the art is constant, but we have to remember the heart of music is for pleasure, so you have to play what you like, otherwise what's the point?

Jarrett can make a simple tune like Over the Rainbow sound so poignant, and why is that, the chords and notes aren't that difficult. It's the touch, expression, and nuance...

I mean, we could do Shorter tunes to the moon, but look at Miles Davis. He wanted to simplify things and focus on the music, hence So What, with only 2 chords, but man it's a beautiful tune.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Yes Wiz, it's really about the concept of learning something in particular and then everyone can contribute. Because multiple people could be working on the same thing, there's an opportunity for exchange.

You can suggest any tune you want if there's some learning concept involved and others think the concept is interesting enough. If you're just posting what you know how to play, I'm sure it will be enjoyed, but others may not join in.

BTW - when my teacher played Nef for me, it blew me away. He did it so simply yet completely horizontally integrated, meaning extremely melodic. After hearing that, I realized that there is much to learn. No one here played it like he did. Don't forget that Nef is a Miles Davis tune (though Shorter composed it). It just goes to show that some unexpected things can happen with an open mind and that unless you're Keith Jarrett or Chick Corea (etc.), there's room for LOTS of learning.

Now I was exposed to this because of this thread so I'll be active here as long as I'm learning something.

My Jazz Blog

B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B
Dave, no idea what that 'guess this tune' was, but I liked it.

And Doug, I enjoyed your 'very early'.

I was playing that today, there is so much that can be done with it, but I couldn't get it to hang together properly. Probably just haven't played for such a long time I need to re-memorize a bit. The chords go past so fast. I'll post something if I can churn out something that isn't painful.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
I've posted this before on KC...

Dave, could you supply a link to KC reharm link? I've found the Keyboard Corner, but couldn't find Reharm as a thread.

If Dave or anyone could supply that, I'd appreciate it.

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Jazzwee,

Would really appreciate any directions/instructions on playing and improvising the blues (I know the blues scales but am still a beginner at this).

BTW, what happened to this station that was recommended here:
http://luckysevenradio.com/

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beeboss
Dave, no idea what that 'guess this tune' was, but I liked it.

And Doug, I enjoyed your 'very early'.

I was playing that today, there is so much that can be done with it, but I couldn't get it to hang together properly. Probably just haven't played for such a long time I need to re-memorize a bit. The chords go past so fast. I'll post something if I can churn out something that isn't painful.

I was just thinking to myself how fast these changes go (Very Early), as I was practicing it. And the way I'm trying to play this is way difficult a little like stride.

Please don't rush BB. Forces me to go at this faster than I can handle.

There's a lot more going on here then Nef.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Elssa
Jazzwee,

Would really appreciate any directions/instructions on playing and improvising the blues (I know the blues scales but am still a beginner at this).

BTW, what happened to this station that was recommended here:
http://luckysevenradio.com/

Elssa, me take this to the other thread.

My Jazz Blog

Page 37 of 341 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission