Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1447655 - 05/31/10 08:23 PM Arm gets tired when playing fast music on a digital piano
dlee1001 Offline

I've been listening to a piano solo of "Der Erlkönig" on a Piano Classics CD because I wanted to play it. I could tell that the pianist was playing on a grand piano (an excellent sound quality, for that matter).

I've gotten much better at playing this piece, except for one problem. When I play this piece on my Casio PX-120, my right arm gets tired pretty quickly as a result of playing repeated notes quickly, a characteristic of this piece. The right hand plays repeated triplets of the same notes very rapidly.

I played part of this piece on a real grand piano, and when I played, I noticed that my arm was not tired at all.

Why did my right arm get so fatigued when I played on my Casio PX-120 (or other digital piano), but not when I played on the grand piano?

I've had my Casio PX-120 for about 8 months now. I can't afford a piano in my basement, which is where I live and keep the Casio.

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1447681 - 05/31/10 09:29 PM Re: Arm gets tired when playing fast music on a digital piano [Re: dlee1001]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Posture? Does your position before the digital differ from that before the grand piano.

#1447865 - 06/01/10 07:25 AM Re: Arm gets tired when playing fast music on a digital piano [Re: MacMacMac]
Marthart Offline

I can relate to what you write. Playing fast on my Yamaha Clavinova is very tiring for me, too. I'm pretty sure that for the most part it's a matter of technique or lack thereof in my case, but having played on good uprights and grands as well, I know that it is just so much easier to play on a good keyboard.

With a lot of keyboards, either the action is too soft or it is too hard and playing feels like a work out for your fingers. Furthermore, with many keyboards, the key needs to travel a long distance until the sound is produced, it's like walking though deep snow, very tiring.

#1447870 - 06/01/10 07:34 AM Re: Arm gets tired when playing fast music on a digital piano [Re: Marthart]
Dave Horne Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
Which muscles are affected, your top forearm muscles or the muscles on the underside of your arm?

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1447876 - 06/01/10 07:39 AM Re: Arm gets tired when playing fast music on a digital piano [Re: Dave Horne]
joe80 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I get fatigue when playing a digital piano too, thats because the key needs to go very far and doesn't come back quick enough.

On a grand piano, the key doesn't have to come all the way back to rest position before you can strike it again. On a digital, it does.

I use my digital for slow practice with headphones, at times that it is not appropriate to use the grand, so hardly ever really. I'm glad its there though.

#1447887 - 06/01/10 08:01 AM Re: Arm gets tired when playing fast music on a digital piano [Re: joe80]
NikkiPiano Offline

Loc: Hertfordshire, UK
Originally Posted By: joe80
On a grand piano, the key doesn't have to come all the way back to rest position before you can strike it again. On a digital, it does.

Which digital do you use? This isn't the case on my digital Yamaha Clavinova, nor should it be on those digitals pianos with three sensors, GH3 etc. The Casio PX-120 does not have a Tri-Sensor keyboard.

Edited by NikkiPiano (06/01/10 08:06 AM)

#1447888 - 06/01/10 08:02 AM Re: Arm gets tired when playing fast music on a digital piano [Re: joe80]
hpeterh Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany

That was what me disturbed most with my CP136.
Technically spoken it was necessary to rise the key by 50%, and because nobody can do this precisely I had to rise the key 80% to 100% before restriking.
But I modified it and now it is fine.

Also the new Casio series with 3 sensor keyboard and the new Kawais dont require to rise the key totally.

Peter

#1447912 - 06/01/10 08:39 AM Re: Arm gets tired when playing fast music on a digital piano [Re: NikkiPiano]
joe80 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: NikkiPiano

Which digital do you use? This isn't the case on my digital Yamaha Clavinova, nor should it be on those digitals pianos with three sensors, GH3 etc. The Casio PX-120 does not have a Tri-Sensor keyboard.

I have a CP-300 which doesn't have the GH3 keyboard. At the school where I teach there is a CLP-370 and yeah its good, but still not really close to a grand, and I still get tired out on it.

#1447915 - 06/01/10 08:46 AM Re: Arm gets tired when playing fast music on a digital piano [Re: joe80]
NikkiPiano Offline

Loc: Hertfordshire, UK
Do you think this is because the action may be heavier, stiffer, has more travel or doesn't bounce back in a more amenable way?

#1447917 - 06/01/10 09:04 AM Re: Arm gets tired when playing fast music on a digital piano [Re: NikkiPiano]
Marthart Offline

If I may answer,too: it'a all four factors you mentioned that make long playing so tiring.

#1447937 - 06/01/10 09:52 AM Re: Arm gets tired when playing fast music on a digital piano [Re: Marthart]
joe80 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Agreed smile

Digital pianos are great instruments and have a place, but virtuoso practice isn't one of their places yet. Well, of course, the AvantGrand is a different story!

#1447940 - 06/01/10 09:56 AM Re: Arm gets tired when playing fast music on a digital piano [Re: Marthart]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
I've noticed the grading of the keys on both of our keyboards (P120, StudioLogic 880) is not nearly as pronounced as our grand piano. The keyboards feel largely the same from low to high, whereas on our grand piano you can really tell where you are by the heaviness of the feel. This tends to make the higher notes on our keyboards heavier than on our real piano, which might be one reasons your right arm out is tiring out.

Whatever you do, if you feel pain you should stop for a while. My wife has what seems to be a permanent injury from playing through the pain many years ago.

#1450026 - 06/04/10 09:51 AM Re: Arm gets tired when playing fast music on a digital piano [Re: NikkiPiano]
dlee1001 Offline

What is your opinion of the Casio PX-120? Is it a good digital piano to play fast music such as "Der Erlkonig"?

Edited by dlee1001 (06/04/10 09:52 AM)

#1450085 - 06/04/10 11:27 AM Re: Arm gets tired when playing fast music on a digital piano [Re: dlee1001]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I've found that indeed, the weighted keys on all the digital pianos I"ve played have felt heavier than any real piano I ever played, I think they over-do it! Maybe, as someone mentioned, they are weighting them all as "bottom" keys. As for the keys being graded to reduce the weight as you move up on the keyboard, that's supposed to be a feature of the recent Yamahas, which I haven't played.

I had never thought about the other issue raised here, though, that you have to raise the key higher before a restrike, too. As it happens, I have one of those "triple strike" Casios on order, I'll be curious to see if that actually addresses that.

#1450244 - 06/04/10 03:25 PM Re: Arm gets tired when playing fast music on a digital piano [Re: dlee1001]
Martin C. Doege Offline

Loc: Hamburg, Germany
Originally Posted By: dlee1001
What is your opinion of the Casio PX-120? Is it a good digital piano to play fast music such as "Der Erlkonig"?

The PX-120 (and 320) has the heaviest, clunkiest action of a digital piano ever, or at least of those DPs I know. With the PX-130 (and 330), Casio has made the action much lighter, more Yamaha-like I suppose, so it looks like they realized their earlier action was too stiff and heavy.

I'm not surprised at all you are having fatigue issues with the PX-120 if you try to play fast on it. To me the PX-120 always felt like playing on bricks...

#1450468 - 06/04/10 08:59 PM Re: Arm gets tired when playing fast music on a digital piano [Re: Marthart]
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
on some good acoustic pianos, the keys have the sort of mechanical/string bounce feel, which if you could take advantage of would make playing much easier, but digital keys (at least in current action technology) don't have such feel, and would feel somewhat 'dead weight', which won't help your relaxing your fingers or arms at all unless you force yourself playing relaxed. just have to find a way to adapt to it. my teacher used to tell me that playing on acoustic is easier than on digital.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
66 registered (Aucha, ando, Akshay, adultpianist, 15 invisible), 1093 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74236 Members
42 Forums
153570 Topics
2250689 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
On Temperament strip tuning, and other things
by Mark Davis
50 minutes 43 seconds ago
NAAFI pianos
by PhilipInChina
Today at 04:41 AM
Yamaha Upright - Please help identify
by awyaks
Today at 01:00 AM
song i wrote. people in clubs love it
by jedplays
Yesterday at 10:49 PM
Fazioli "factory tour" video.
by R_B
Yesterday at 10:27 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission