2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, danno858, benkeys, brennbaer, DaCapoDiTuttiCapi, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, 11 invisible), 1,854 guests, and 328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 59 of 341 1 2 57 58 59 60 61 340 341
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by scepticalforumguy
I'll post something soon. I've got lots of 1st take cuts of the following tunes GS, My Romance, Here's that Rainy Day, Miss Jones, Byebye Blackbird, Very Early, etc. Been busy with company for the last 3 weeks so hard to download these days. Maybe something tonight, ok?

First takes are best. This is not the thread for finished products...

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by beeboss
I did find Kenny Werner and Chris Potter playing Gianst Steps as a duo on youtube.
Pretty mind bending...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lx2I113XROw

Sick! Here's another mind boggling version:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3W_bRtc75GA

No way I"m tackling GS, have fun guys!

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Wizard of Oz

Sissy! smile smile smile

My Jazz Blog

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Argh you've gotten me to compulsively play along with this track now, not sure I even like this tune.=p

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KlinkKlonk
Argh you've gotten me to compulsively play along with this track now, not sure I even like this tune.=p

smile No. I don't use playalongs...(you've just proved to me why).

Everybody should be able to play this. The question is just what tempo.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
This was just a snippet of a practice session. This is what I sound like -- sped up smile

For some reason, the Yammie P-155 converted the recording to some unbelievable speed here (sounds like 300 at least). I actually recorded at 200. So the notes are me but the speed isn't. So now I won't be intimidated by all of your fast fingers...LOL.

Giant Steps Superspeed
http://www.box.net/shared/6rxavp1vss

Next time I post it will be super slow.

My Jazz Blog

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Interesting, it shows how your lines would be if your fingers and brain worked faster, and they would be pretty interesting.
I have often thought that the great players are just like the rest of us but their brains just run faster.

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
jazzwee I like the flow of your lines, sounds organic, which I think is tough with this tune due to the stressing harmonic rythm, especially at a fast tempo.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hey JW,

I listened to your snippet. I thought it was really nice. Especially the 1st half. The lines were long and melodic, the way I like them.

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K

http://www.divshare.com/download/11557528-d23 Aaalmost there, you may find a few repeated ideas in there, lol. It's two merged tracks that both turned out pretty decent.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Hey KK, well done with your Giant steps. You are making the changes there and with some good lines. Very fluent as well at that fast tempo.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KlinkKlonk

http://www.divshare.com/download/11557528-d23 Aaalmost there, you may find a few repeated ideas in there, lol. It's two merged tracks that both turned out pretty decent.

Klink, your technique at that tempo is amazing. You are still maintaining incredible legato. Even when I recorded at 200, I was already losing control technically.

You certainly made the changes and I liked your lines. Yeah you repeated. So what? LOL! Coltrane repeated too. smile

That tempo is beyond me so I can just admire the rest of you that can play that fast (and even more incredible -- to maintain ideas at that tempo). thumb

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the comments guys.

I asked my teacher a question on playing at really fast tempos and the answer he gave was pretty much what Beeboss noted.

Originally Posted by beeboss

I have often thought that the great players are just like the rest of us but their brains just run faster.

He did a little solo at some slower tempo, to give me a feel of what it sounds like. Then he played it at 300 or so and demonstrated that he's playing the same kind of lines. His point is that he can just think of the notes faster and that at no time was he resorting to patterns or licks or memory.

So the point of the lesson was to demonstrate to me that I have to do the same thing and practice the same way and that it would work out.

Out of curiousity, I actually tried matching the speed of the sped-up recording to see if my brain could handle it. It looks like it can since I can keep up in bursts. The flaw seems to be technique related. I could probably do 250 but with an uneven touch. It's something I can specifically work on and it's a discussion like this that reveals my weaknesses.

I'm just enjoying this interaction guys! thumb

My Jazz Blog

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by jazzwee

His point is that he can just think of the notes faster and that at no time was he resorting to patterns or licks or memory.

I think I know what you mean but any combination of notes is a pattern, every chord shape and every melodic fragment. Memory operates at many levels, and there are all manner of things that need to be remembered while soloing, many of which we are not even aware of consciously. It is not possible to solo well at a high speed without having memorized many many combinations of notes. Of course the idea is for them to come out effortlessly but that is going to take a long long time to develop for anybodys. Knowing as many patterns as possible should aid melodic playing not hinder it.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Beeboss, I'm just saying what he said. So I'm not trying to interpret what he says (maybe he didn't say it well).

I'll make this observation though. When he plays for me in a lesson, I get a sense of repeated melodic constructs in what he plays. I'll see recognizable snippets.

When he plays in a real gig, or in his recordings, everything is unique sounding to my ears. So it seems he can call upon memory/patterns/shapes when he doesn't want to make the effort (like in teaching). But he is able to get into a zone of creation where the music is seamlessly connected to him and it is flowing with a purpose.

I get your point though since there's no way to separate known shapes from one's memory. Even chords and intervals are all familiar and automatic. But I think the different is in mindless streaming of notes vs. a musical idea. Maybe in a literature analogy, much like reading a dictionary vs. reading poetry.

When I was playing GS, I was striving to make melodic connections and it was very hard to concentrate at 200bpm. Much easier at 150bpm. If my mind wanders off a bit, I end up going through some automatic motions. Perhaps that's what it's all about. The concentration to take the robot out of the playing mechanism.

My Jazz Blog

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W

Sissy! smile smile smile

Haha! I'm learning Shorter's Ana Maria right now. If you thought Nef was tough... just beautiful harmonic changes.

Kenny Kirkland covered it on his self-titled album, it has got to be one of the best improvs I've ever heard bar none. Find it if you can, (or ask and I'll send it to you.)

Kurt Rosenwinkle did it too on his standards album, I'm not as keen for it on guitar, and Kurt doesn't do it for me, but you may also like that one.

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
btw, of all people playing Giant Steps, here's STEVIE WONDER:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYoadikm1sI

Killer!

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

Haha! I'm learning Shorter's Ana Maria right now. If you thought Nef was tough... just beautiful harmonic changes.

That is one great tune. I love that Shorter album 'Native Dancer'. I have never dared to play it though.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

When he plays in a real gig, or in his recordings, everything is unique sounding to my ears. So it seems he can call upon memory/patterns/shapes when he doesn't want to make the effort (like in teaching). But he is able to get into a zone of creation where the music is seamlessly connected to him and it is flowing with a purpose.

I get your point though since there's no way to separate known shapes from one's memory. Even chords and intervals are all familiar and automatic. But I think the different is in mindless streaming of notes vs. a musical idea. Maybe in a literature analogy, much like reading a dictionary vs. reading poetry.

That makes perfect sense. The phrases need to work together to complement each other and not just be thrown out randomly, ideally at least. To do this at a fast tempo is just very difficult which is why I always try to play a few fast things to get the old brain working in that way. Better to do it on something very easy before trying it with giant steps though.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I'm just listening to it now. I don't know it and it's a beautiful tune. I would be happy to learn this someday.

To my ears though it doesn't seem difficult to grasp. I don't know why that is. Perhaps a tune that stays in a tonality long enough and you can adjust to the change.

Compared to VE and GS, these two tunes can be rather abrubt. Just as my ear starts to expect a particular harmony it shifts suddenly. Throws me off and then it's hard to resume or connect an idea.

I don't have a problem with even the most frequent key changes in most standards, as long as they linger for a bar or two.

And I just realized something about VE and GS, even when there is a ii-V or V-I, the form is off center in both, meaning the ii-V or V-I is split between two bars. Maybe that's why it's disconcerting to many, including myself.

When a tune follows a more regular form, and ii-V's occur in a single bar (or 2), maybe that's what makes it easier to follow.

My Jazz Blog

Page 59 of 341 1 2 57 58 59 60 61 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission