Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1447899 - 06/01/10 08:17 AM 100yo 3 crown Ronisch - your thoughts?
Nikki832 Offline

Does anyone have any experience with antique Ronisch pianos? I have a chance to buy a 3 crown upright Ronisch, about 100 yrs old, apparently with not much wear. 134cm high. It has had some restorative work done - namely re-shaping of hammers. Hammers, felts and hammer pivot felts were apparently in good condition and didn't need changing.

I've been told these pianos were top quality in their hey day and equivalent to a Yamaha YUS/ YUX or Schimmel today. Also, that it would last another 20 years or so.

Any thoughts? Would it last 20 more years? Would the maintenance be more trouble/ expense than it's worth? Am I better off buying a new piano?

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1447906 - 06/01/10 08:31 AM Re: 100yo 3 crown Ronisch - your thoughts? [Re: Nikki832]
joe80 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm thinking that a 100 year old upright might not be a good purchase. Re-shaping the hammers isn't really reconditioning, but a routine part of maintenance.

In their day they may have been very high quality pianos, it may well look beautiful and in so many ways be a tempting purchase. I think that for musical results you might want to look for something newer.

Example - I looked at a 1926 model K Steinway that a shop had in, and next to it was a 1985 U3 Yamaha. The Steinway was a romantic ideal but in a play off, the Yamaha won hands down. Don't get me wrong, the Steinway had some nice tone left in it, but the reality was it was on its way out.

#1447918 - 06/01/10 09:06 AM Re: 100yo 3 crown Ronisch - your thoughts? [Re: Nikki832]
john gill Offline

Loc: Perth Western Australia
hello Nikki

I used to own a 1924 Ronisch. It had been a player with a Hupfeld mech. I restrung it and did other work and it ended up with a marvellous sound.
I'm over here in Perth and do see a few Ronischs. The outstanding thing about Ronisch's older pianos is that their soundboards all seem to be in excellent condition which means that Ronisch made some of the very best s boards ever.
Do get a good tech to have a look at it for you and see what he thinks could be done.

There is one thing that puzzles me here in Australia, and that is that people nearly always refer to Ronischs as 3 crown or two crown. These were only "german crests" and do not mean anything that I am aware of. Except they still are found on some of todays German pianos.
As for the sound of a 1926 steinway being beaten by a yam, that'a as may be. A ronisch in good shape would wipe the floor with either of them.

So get good advice from a tech and you could end up with a piano that is "Bonzer!!!'"

Best of luck.

John Gill
Perth pianoman

#1447935 - 06/01/10 09:50 AM Re: 100yo 3 crown Ronisch - your thoughts? [Re: john gill]
joe80 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Well, I'd like to try one of these Ronisch pianos in that case. We don't seem to have many up here in Scotland, infact I've never seen any.

Some old pianos I guess can still hold their own against the new boys on the block, that's true.

#1448175 - 06/01/10 04:04 PM Re: 100yo 3 crown Ronisch - your thoughts? [Re: joe80]
FogVilleLad Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
The best used piano money that you can spend is that spent for a prepurchase inspection by an experienced tech who has no affiliation with the seller. Action parts, bridges, strings, and hammers should all be focused on.

As joe posted, reshaping hammers is not really restoration.

#1448194 - 06/01/10 04:50 PM Re: 100yo 3 crown Ronisch - your thoughts? [Re: FogVilleLad]
James Senior Offline

Loc: England
I have a Roenisch grand, and have played several of the very tall uprights which were, as mentioned, used in upright players. Very high quality, beautiful sound. Get it checked out.
It's a bit sad, but from the frame and cheeks I can identify that in this unusual video, Emil Gilels is playing a Roenish:
You tube
Should clearly get out more!

#1449201 - 06/03/10 01:49 AM Re: 100yo 3 crown Ronisch - your thoughts? [Re: James Senior]
Nikki832 Offline

Thanks so much for all your comments! It is encouraging to hear such glowing reports of the Ronisch from John Gill and James Senior. I will be inspecting it this weekend. Another contender is a 1920 Feurich which is 125 cm tall and has had its hammers replaced. Both have been tuned to concert pitch.

#1449268 - 06/03/10 05:42 AM Re: 100yo 3 crown Ronisch - your thoughts? [Re: Nikki832]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
What's the rule of thumb for replacing strings on a piano, every 20 or 30 years? I'm guessing the piano in question has the original strings .... ? or not?

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1449293 - 06/03/10 07:34 AM Re: 100yo 3 crown Ronisch - your thoughts? [Re: Nikki832]
Mark R. Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria, South Africa
Originally Posted By: Nikki832
Another contender is a 1920 Feurich which is 125 cm tall and has had its hammers replaced.

Although Feurich is another premium German manufacturer, please be aware that if it was necessary to replace hammers, then the rest of the action is quite possibly also heavily worn. Hammers don't wear in isolation.

I was caught out by a (re)builder who first sold me a structurally bad 1920s Seiler, and then exchanged it for a 1920s Zimmermann, praising the latter for its new hammers and keytops. Only later did I realise that the rest of the action is badly worn. (Backcheck felts, catcher buckskins, butt leathers, etc.)

I can only echo FVL's statement that one should take along an independent tech. If the seller is uncomfortable with this, or says (or implies) that you can trust him without an independent opinion because he himself is a tech, walk away.

That's my 2 Cents (more like 2500 Dollars learning curve, actually).

1922 49" Zimmermann, project piano.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
157 registered (accordeur, A Guy, Al LaPorte, 52 invisible), 1422 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76037 Members
42 Forums
157219 Topics
2309141 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai ES7 v1.15 software update - now available
by Kawai James
09/01/14 08:43 PM
Mason & Hamlin's action vs. Kawai's Millennium III action
by ColinDS
09/01/14 08:32 PM
Recognising Slash chords by ear
by Visalia
09/01/14 06:07 PM
Hammer blow distance, dynamic range, controllability
by prout
09/01/14 05:39 PM
Arrangers Comparable to Marilynn Ham Suggestions
by Hunt
09/01/14 04:13 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission