Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1446119 - 05/29/10 03:00 PM a question concerning ragtime tempo
al-mahed Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Rio de Janeiro
Hello, I have a question concerning this time signature : Two Step. I made the same question on ABF but seems that no one there is able to answer until now. So, sorry for duplicate the post!

I came across a fairly unknown ragtime piece from Arthur Marshall, a Scott Joplin's colaborator in two of his ragtime pieces.

Well, I noticed this tempo mark : two step. I imagine it is something near to a moderato time because the introduction is marked as moderato. I cannot say whether it is more or less faster than an average moderato ( 80 ~ 90 BPM).

He's the link to the score:

http://ucblibraries.colorado.edu/cgi-bin/sheetmusic.pl?RagKinklets&Rag&2

Edited by al-mahed (05/29/10 03:01 PM)

Working on: music

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1446124 - 05/29/10 03:08 PM Re: a question concerning ragtime tempo [Re: al-mahed]
Priidik Offline

Loc: Estonia
ragtimes are relatively slow

#1446125 - 05/29/10 03:11 PM Re: a question concerning ragtime tempo [Re: Priidik]
al-mahed Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Priidik
ragtimes are relatively slow

so?

#1446177 - 05/29/10 05:01 PM Re: a question concerning ragtime tempo [Re: al-mahed]
RayE Offline

Loc: Rochester, NY, USA
A Two Step is slightly slower than other Rags but we don't know an exact metronome marking. Easy Winners is a two step and I like to play that about 104 BPM, but that's my personal preference, I've heard it done faster by others.

#1446199 - 05/29/10 05:35 PM Re: a question concerning ragtime tempo [Re: RayE]
al-mahed Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: RayE
A Two Step is slightly slower than other Rags but we don't know an exact metronome marking. Easy Winners is a two step and I like to play that about 104 BPM, but that's my personal preference, I've heard it done faster by others.

Tank you Ray!

The only piano version of this piece on youtube is this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NgsVACWgOQ

It is slower than 100 bpm, moderato tempo (and it is using pedal, so I don't know about the intention of fidelity of the performer since the is no pedal marks on the original score).

I like this rag slow, it brings up a nostalgic mood because the harmony with the use of the pedal, but I don't know if it is "correct"...

#1446559 - 05/30/10 10:48 AM Re: a question concerning ragtime tempo [Re: al-mahed]
David T Offline

Loc: central Kentucky
I'd like to think there's no one correct tempo. True, ragtime is "relatively slow," or, as Joplin says, "should never be played fast." But relative to what, and how fast is fast?

Ragtime generally is happy music, so a brisk tempo suits it best, but even if I were in a bordello where there were other, more intense, distractions, I wouldn't want to hear an evening of music played at the same tempo for hours on end. Each piece has its own character and demands its own treatment.

Performing is a whole lot more than doing the best you can to follow the composer's intentions, tempo-wise or otherwise. True, sometimes that may be the best way to get a piece across, but your duty as a performer is also to be true to yourself. If you are convinced by your own playing, it will carry conviction to the listener.

David

#1446562 - 05/30/10 11:15 AM Re: a question concerning ragtime tempo [Re: David T]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: David T
I'd like to think there's no one correct tempo. True, ragtime is "relatively slow," or, as Joplin says, "should never be played fast." But relative to what, and how fast is fast?David
I think Joplin's statement has been misinterpreted by many amateurs or conveniently used especially by beginners. I've read that Jopin only said this because the prevailing tempos used by performers tended to be ultra fast. More importantly, if one listens to Youtube performances of Jopin, Dick Hyman, Adam Swanson and most other professional performers, the tempos chosen are far faster than most intermediate level MLRag players would like to use.

Edited by pianoloverus (05/30/10 11:17 AM)

#1446614 - 05/30/10 01:47 PM Re: a question concerning ragtime tempo [Re: pianoloverus]
Samuel1993 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I've just finished Maple Leaf Rag with my teacher, she says play it like a march. It's really down to taste I guess... some people like to play it faster. Scott Joplin always put 'It's wrong to play Rags fast'.
Liszt - Romance in E minor "O pourquoi donc" S.196

#1446644 - 05/30/10 02:48 PM Re: a question concerning ragtime tempo [Re: Samuel1993]

Originally Posted By: Samuel1993
I've just finished Maple Leaf Rag with my teacher, she says play it like a march. It's really down to taste I guess... some people like to play it faster. Scott Joplin always put 'It's wrong to play Rags fast'.

How does your tempo compare to these performances?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMAtL7n_-rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RISjp-d38-0

#1446681 - 05/30/10 03:51 PM Re: a question concerning ragtime tempo [Re: pianoloverus]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Did you know that Joplin composed a symphony and a piano concerto? Unfortunately, they were never published and the manuscripts are lost. He also composed an opera, "Treemonisha, and was posthumously awarded a Pulitzer Prize.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1446685 - 05/30/10 03:59 PM Re: a question concerning ragtime tempo [Re: stores]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
Treemonisha is great, Aunt Dinah blows the horn!, his little Mexican Serenade 'Solace' is a gem, in general he always puts 'not fast' and more moderato-like tempi above the scores, probabely good taste is, as always, the best guide.

Chopin op.28/20/31/39/54

#1446704 - 05/30/10 04:31 PM Re: a question concerning ragtime tempo [Re: dolce sfogato]
Ben Crosland Online   content

Loc: Worcester, UK
With ragtime, I feel there is a tempo sweet-spot - fast enough that the piece moves along nicely, but not so fast that the syncopations are lost. As soon as the tempo is taken too fast, it becomes all about the player showing-off, and not the piece of music itself.

Cool Beans!

Easy Christmas Jazz

YouTube channel

#1446937 - 05/30/10 09:33 PM Re: a question concerning ragtime tempo [Re: Ben Crosland]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
Originally Posted By: Ben Crosland
With ragtime, I feel there is a tempo sweet-spot - fast enough that the piece moves along nicely, but not so fast that the syncopations are lost. As soon as the tempo is taken too fast, it becomes all about the player showing-off, and not the piece of music itself.

Wow, Ben! Exactly!!!

Pianoloverus--the YouTube videos you linked to are interesting. I like the tempos of the Maple Leaf Rag there. The roll played by Scott Joplin himself is particularly telling! I hope the person who recorded it set the player piano at the right tempo! laugh

In "Weeping Willow," I let my feel for the third section dictate the tempo of the rest of the piece. That third section (after the "recapitulation"(?)) is very nostalgic, and needs to be played quite moderately in order to sing properly, IMO. So, when I practice it, I play that section first to set the tempo, then go to the beginning and play it through.

I'm curious about "Swipesy." The tempo is marked "slow," and yet, the cake walk was a kind of parody dance processional. I feel this one moderato as well...

???

--Andy

#1447208 - 05/31/10 10:31 AM Re: a question concerning ragtime tempo [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Hop Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hudson, FL
Joshua Rifkin recorded a number of Joplin rags in the early 1970s. I've always felt that his tempos were right on the mark. They in fact did seem to hit the sweet spot of "not too fast"

Here is a link to Amazon.com with samples from his album:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/radio...agSuffix=dp_img

Hop

#1447256 - 05/31/10 11:51 AM Re: a question concerning ragtime tempo [Re: Hop]

Originally Posted By: Hop
Joshua Rifkin recorded a number of Joplin rags in the early 1970s. I've always felt that his tempos were right on the mark. They in fact did seem to hit the sweet spot of "not too fast"

Here is a link to Amazon.com with samples from his album:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/radio...agSuffix=dp_img

Hop
Rivkin's MPR is considerably slower than Joplin's own performance. Always possible that there's something wrong with that recording but IMO that's quite unlikely?

Also, Rivkin's performance is musch slower than the ones by Adam Swanson and Dick Hyman. Neither of those great performers is at the point where they have to play anything fast just for the sake of doing so.

#1447399 - 05/31/10 03:19 PM Re: a question concerning ragtime tempo [Re: pianoloverus]
al-mahed Offline
500 Post Club Member

I think Rifkin's interpretation is great! You cannot tell at what speed joplin used to play based on those piano rolls.

I don't think rifkin's Elite Syncopations, for instance, is slow at all. I do think that his Maple Leaf Rag could be a bit faster, but works pretty well the way he plays it.

About swipesy, I don't know exactly what tempo "slow" means. I think it means nothing faster than 120 bpm, but if the 120 bpm mark is the ceeling, what tempo is the floor?

In a matter of fact, I've listened renditions of swipesy at ~80 bpm (with pedal) and ~150 bpm, both fulfill my taste, because the pianists were so skillful that they could bring the correct feeling according to the tempo, and the accuracy and clearness was great, so all depends on the pianist.

#1447421 - 05/31/10 03:43 PM Re: a question concerning ragtime tempo [Re: al-mahed]
Skorpius Offline
500 Post Club Member

My teacher told me once that people play ragtime music too fast...especially Maple Leaf xD

Deux Arabesques, Debussy

On Queue-

Danse Russe from Petroushka, Stravinsky
Toccata, Ravel

#1447443 - 05/31/10 04:15 PM Re: a question concerning ragtime tempo [Re: al-mahed]

Originally Posted By: al-mahed
I think Rifkin's interpretation is great! You cannot tell at what speed joplin used to play based on those piano rolls.
There must be "something" to indicate the speed the pianist wanted/performed the piece at when he made the piano roll, no? Otherwise, how would anyone know what speed to play any piano roll whether classical or ragtime?

Edited by pianoloverus (05/31/10 04:19 PM)

#1447446 - 05/31/10 04:17 PM Re: a question concerning ragtime tempo [Re: Skorpius]

Originally Posted By: Skorpius
My teacher told me once that people play ragtime music too fast...especially Maple Leaf xD
I think many beginners and intermediates play it too slow. Do you think the performances I posted by Joplin and Swanson are too fast?

#1447457 - 05/31/10 04:27 PM Re: a question concerning ragtime tempo [Re: pianoloverus]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
There must be "something" to indicate the speed the pianist wanted/performed the piece at when he made the piano roll, no? Otherwise, how would anyone know what speed to play any piano roll whether classical or ragtime?

Yes! Or, more than likely, yes!

Check out the piano roll at the beginning, here. "Tempo 85" it says...

"Do It Again" Youtube at AmpicoGPM's channel

#1447458 - 05/31/10 04:29 PM Re: a question concerning ragtime tempo [Re: pianoloverus]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
Originally Posted By: Skorpius
I think many beginners and intermediates play it too slow. Do you think the performances I posted by Joplin and Swanson are too fast?

No! grin

#1447483 - 05/31/10 05:06 PM Re: a question concerning ragtime tempo [Re: al-mahed]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

[...] About swipesy, I don't know exactly what tempo "slow" means. I think it means nothing faster than 120 bpm, but if the 120 bpm mark is the ceeling, what tempo is the floor?

In a matter of fact, I've listened renditions of swipesy at ~80 bpm (with pedal) and ~150 bpm, both fulfill my taste, because the pianists were so skillful that they could bring the correct feeling according to the tempo, and the accuracy and clearness was great, so all depends on the pianist.

I just timed my playing of the two I was talking about.

"Weeping Willow" comes in at the 63 setting on my metronome, with a quarter note getting one beat. That might be too schmaltzy for some, but to me it sings properly, and can still be played with lilt.

"Swipesy" comes in at 88 on my metronome, with a quarter note getting one beat. It's definitely peppy without being frantic.

Those are my preferences, FWIW.

--Andy

#1447534 - 05/31/10 06:03 PM Re: a question concerning ragtime tempo [Re: Cinnamonbear]
whaley Offline

The sheet music for Fig Leaf Rag and for Pine Apple Rag both say a quarter note = 100. Both rags also warn not to play them fast. The only other Joplin rags I can find with BPM specified are Eugenia at 72 and Sugar Cane at 100. "Scott Joplin's New Rag" is Allegero moderato, which I guess is even faster (and unlike these others it has no warning to avoid playing too fast).

I love Rifkin's Joplin recordings. Rifkin plays Fig Leaf about half of 100 BPM. He plays Pine Apple slower than 100. His New Rag is less than 70 BPM according to my metronome.

I think Fig Leaf would be way too fast at 100. Listeners would miss important details at that speed. I've always wondered if the 100 is a typo, there are plenty of other typos in the original Joplin sheet music. Maybe the scores should have indicated that an *eighth* note should be 100. No way *that* would be too fast!

#1447633 - 05/31/10 07:55 PM Re: a question concerning ragtime tempo [Re: Cinnamonbear]
al-mahed Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Cinnamonbear

"Swipesy" comes in at 88 on my metronome, with a quarter note getting one beat.

--Andy

Hi andy, do you use pedal on this one? Do you have any recording of your playing? smile

cheers

Edited by al-mahed (05/31/10 07:55 PM)

#1447903 - 06/01/10 08:25 AM Re: a question concerning ragtime tempo [Re: al-mahed]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Cinnamonbear

"Swipesy" comes in at 88 on my metronome, with a quarter note getting one beat.

--Andy

Hi andy, do you use pedal on this one? Do you have any recording of your playing? smile

cheers

Hey, al-mahed!

I use pedal a bit for a little jaunty expression. I haven't recorded it, but since you requested it, I will. However, I can't promise when. I'll try to do it at least by the end of summer. (Just for the public record, that brings to 3 the total number of things I've promised to post to member recordings by the end of summer! grin )

--Andy

#1448036 - 06/01/10 12:29 PM Re: a question concerning ragtime tempo [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Hop Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hudson, FL
I tend to agree with others who like Joshua Rifkin's pacing. Too fast makes for a frenetic, frantic, unappealing performance. Bright and energized is preferred. But not dreary and dragging. For me, Rifkin hits it about right. It would be interesting to know how Joplin himself paced his rags, but I don't think knowing that would change my preferences, since when I played the Maple Leaf and the Entertainer I tried various tempi but finally settled on Rifkin's choice as the most pleasing.

Hop

#1448057 - 06/01/10 01:03 PM Re: a question concerning ragtime tempo [Re: Hop]

Originally Posted By: Hop
It would be interesting to know how Joplin himself paced his rags, but I don't think knowing that would change my preferences, since when I played the Maple Leaf and the Entertainer I tried various tempi but finally settled on Rifkin's choice as the most pleasing.

Hop
Then listen to the recording by Joplin I posted earlier in the thread for MLRag. It's quite a bit faster than Rivkin. Some other important present day performers of this kind of music, including Swanson and Hyman (who are far more well known than Rifkin for this kind of music), play it even faster than Joplin. Of course, what Joplin and others do in the MLR doesn't)mean they'd choose the same tempo for other rags. I always use MLR since it's the most popular.

Edited by pianoloverus (06/01/10 01:06 PM)

#1448068 - 06/01/10 01:20 PM Re: a question concerning ragtime tempo [Re: Cinnamonbear]
hv Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cape Cod
As you can imagine, the subject of tempo often comes up at ragtime festival seminars and presentations. It seems to be a general consensus among those folks that the popular cakewalk which preceded ragtime was definitely slower. Kind of as a practical matter, due to the attire of the late 1800's. Although it's not a cakewalk, a two-step, or a dance itself, there's an illustration of how the cakewalking public dressed on the cover of the Maple Leaf Rag. Here's another really nice one on a cakewalk cover.

Ragtime, which adopted the march in the left-hand, was somewhat faster... march tempo. A lot of folks credit the adoption of ragtime into the repertoire of the Souza Band as a major factor in its early public success and that's obviously the tempo they would have played it.

Kinklets, being identified as a ragtime two-step, rather than a cakewalk two-step, seems to suggest a faster tempo than a cakewalk. I also have the impression that the slower cakewalk style faded with the introduction of ragtime, and was being displaced by a faster professional dance-form that probably inspired ragtime in the 1st place. Buck and Wing dancing. This started being popularized in the 1840's as part of circus entertainment but eventually took on a life of its own becoming a trademark of Vaudeville and eventually evolving into tap-dance. My own theory is that ragtime got its syncopation from it and that piano ragtime, particularly on the East coast, used its tempo as its starting point.

I only mention all that because Kinklets was written in 1906 when everything was speeding up. Take a look at this 1903 cakewalk tempo (apparently professional dancers) in which the male star in the middle clearly does pigeon moves while the male at the right is almost flat-footed in more traditional cakewalk garb:

http://memory.loc.gov/mbrs/varsmp/0377.mpg

So if Kinklets was intended to be played somewhat faster than that...

Btw, the general thinking in ragtime circles is that Joplin's motivation for putting his "it's never right to play ragtime fast" notices on his music was more about his own playing ability than musical considerations. Although he was a superstar composer, he just wasn't a flashy player. But he needed income from concert touring. Indications are that it was a lost cause. His earliest tempo markings were indeed march tempo. Then be followed with a few marked "not fast" and "not too fast". In 1905, beginning with Leola, he started with the notices and a tempo marking of "slow march tempo". A dozen notices later in 1909 Wall Street upped the ante with "very slow march". After which he gave it up. The notices suddenly ended forever in 1910 with Stoptime marked "fast or slow." And his New Rag in 1912 and Magnetic in 1914 got "allegro moderato." Eubie Blake, whose only admitted contact with Scott Joplin was seeing him perform once in 1915, became fond of jokingly telling audiences before he performed a Joplin piece (after Joplin's death, of course) that he met him once and got special permission to play it his own way. I think most modern ragtimers follow Eubie's lead.

Howard

#1448252 - 06/01/10 06:21 PM Re: a question concerning ragtime tempo [Re: hv]
al-mahed Offline
500 Post Club Member

What a great post Howard!

#1448501 - 06/02/10 12:20 AM Re: a question concerning ragtime tempo [Re: hv]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Howard,

Thanks for the terrific post!

Now, for an innocent question. Did rags morph into fox trots? Fox trots have impressed me as being "rhapsodic rags."

Yes? No?

--Andy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
91 registered (bennevis, angelsong, 36251, 25 invisible), 1291 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153538 Topics
2250138 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
2014 Bradshaw and Buono Piano Competition
by hsheck
04/18/14 01:21 AM
What is the strangest thing you have found inside a piano?
by That Tooner
04/17/14 11:18 PM
Kawai vs Ritmuller
by cromax
04/17/14 11:08 PM
Considering going into debt for a Steinway grand
by joonsang
04/17/14 10:38 PM
Best Glue for Damper Pads
by JMichaelWilson
04/17/14 10:07 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission