Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1444770 - 05/27/10 01:12 PM OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Pieces
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Pieces for Piano 2nd edition. Hal Leonard publishers.

http://www.amazon.ca/Oscar-Peterson-Exercises-Minuets-Etudes/dp/0634099795

Seems several of us are working on this book, so why not have a thread about it - and then maybe someone will make a pretty box we can put in our siggy lines when we get through it!

I'm just starting, and Playing with Exercise N2 and Minuet N2.

Who's next? smile

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1444776 - 05/27/10 01:23 PM Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Pieces [Re: casinitaly]
Pianosaurus Rex Offline

I got exercise 4, 5 and 6 almost under my belt.
#5 probably needs a bit more work, I'm gonna start on the minuet of #6 in my next practise session this afternoon.

Didn't try any of the other minuets yet, might give them a go sometime depending on my experience with minuet #6. smile

They're really good exercises, and I actually tend to play them often when my friends or family ask me to play some piano for them, and so far everyone loves them. :p

Student/apprentice technician

#1444790 - 05/27/10 01:55 PM Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Pieces [Re: Pianosaurus Rex]
GlassLove Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Okay, both of you have convinced me that I should buy this book and join in. I will order from Amazon today.

#1444795 - 05/27/10 02:05 PM Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Pieces [Re: GlassLove]
casinitaly Offline

Yeah! Glad you're joining in!

I order most of my English books from Amazon (UK) simply because they aren't available here - but for music I'm in heaven !!!!!!!

The amount of material that is available - and easy to get hold of - is mind boggling.

Next time I'm in the music shop I'll take pictures to give an idea of what is available -(If they will let me), it is UNbelievable.

#1444840 - 05/27/10 03:01 PM Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece [Re: casinitaly]
CMohr Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Oregon
It's funny that I saw this post this morning - I just ordered the Oscar Peterson book! Haven't seen the contents, but it sounded like a great addition to what I'm now doing.

So, who knows, I may be joining in here, too. I should have my book within a week.

#1444895 - 05/27/10 04:37 PM Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece [Re: CMohr]
MegumiNoda Offline

Oh hey! I got a copy of that book a couple of years ago, when I was contemplating restarting on piano again. At the time, I thought I might try to branch out and learn jazz. But then, sort of by chance, I found a (classically trained) teacher I liked. She has assigned me a steady diet of Bach, Beethoven, and Brahms. And so, Oscar Peterson got placed on the back burner.

Since then, I've occasionally broken the book out to practice sight-reading. I feel like I must be doing something wrong though -- everything I did just sounded kind of flat and un-jazzy. I don't think I can figure jazz out on my own, so I'm glad that you guys have started a thread on this book.

#1444908 - 05/27/10 04:53 PM Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece [Re: MegumiNoda]
HomeInMyShoes Offline

I might need to go look this book up. Oscar Peterson is one of my favourite artists of all time and both Night Train and Canadiana Suite are pretty high up on my list of albums I'd take to the desert island with me.

#1445011 - 05/27/10 07:22 PM Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece [Re: HomeInMyShoes]
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I've seen this book mentioned a lot and it intrigues me! Can anyone share how it's structured and what it entails? I'd be highly interested in joining the study group, but I just haven't seen it around anywhere.
BM, Violin & Percussion Performance 2009, Piano Pedagogy 2011.

#1445158 - 05/28/10 12:14 AM Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece [Re: ll]
MegumiNoda Offline

Originally Posted By: ll
I've seen this book mentioned a lot and it intrigues me! Can anyone share how it's structured and what it entails? I'd be highly interested in joining the study group, but I just haven't seen it around anywhere.

The book has three sections: It begins with "exercises and minuets." Each pair of exercise/minuet introduces some particular concept (like the boogie woogie pattern). These are short (each pair takes up just a page). The minuet seems to be a slightly harder variation on the exercise. Then there is an "Etudes and Pieces" section. These are a little longer (a pair spans 2-3 pages), and they seem more complex. The third section is another set of (multi-page) exercises.

Here is an excerpt from the preface blurb that I found motivating:
Originally Posted By: Oscar Peterson

... when a person, whether studied or not classically speaking, attempts to enter the jazz world from a playing aspect, he often finds himself hamstrung by many varied musical inadequacies. Very few people truly ever attribute their lack of ability to the proper cause, I feel. Many of them blame what they term their creative inability to conceive jazz phrases, without stopping to realize that a jazz technique in many ways is a completely new form of technique when compared with the classical.

I still feel pretty much hamstrung, but I hadn't really worked honestly and sincerely on these jazz exercises yet.

Edited by MegumiNoda (05/28/10 12:21 AM)

#1445159 - 05/28/10 12:17 AM Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece [Re: MegumiNoda]
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thank you!

Are the excercises, etudes, and pieces progressively in more difficult order, or do they all just present a new idea? Is it something a beginner to jazz could work with, or is it more for an advanced student looking for technical work?

#1445160 - 05/28/10 12:22 AM Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece [Re: ll]
MegumiNoda Offline

They do seem to get progressively harder. The first set seems more like it's just introducing ideas. I think this is a beginner book.

#1445161 - 05/28/10 12:24 AM Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece [Re: MegumiNoda]
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thank you so much! I'll be ordering it tonight smile

#1445179 - 05/28/10 01:18 AM Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece [Re: ll]
casinitaly Offline

Well, looks like we're off to a flying start!
The funny thing is that I am not a huge jazz fan by any stretch of the imagination - but I do love Oscar! When I saw the book, - and yes, it really IS a beginner, or at least low level book - I just couldn't resist.

I think we'll really get rolling in about 10 days or so when everyone's books start arriving from Amazon! smile

#1445388 - 05/28/10 11:27 AM Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece [Re: casinitaly]
Pianosaurus Rex Offline

Woah, lots of people joining in I see! How very nice! smile

I gave minuet #6 a try yesterday, but it was rather difficult. I think I'm gonna save it for the weekend when I've got more time on my hands.
I think it's pretty manageable if I stay focused. laugh

#1445818 - 05/29/10 02:51 AM Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece [Re: Pianosaurus Rex]
casinitaly Offline

Exercise 3 page 8: I have to say that the first bar really stumped me on how to move my hand!

4 5 4 5 4 5 4 2
C D C A C D C A

The same patter is repeated in the first bar of the last line but the 4th note (the first A) is N2 finger. I wonder if the first is a typo?

#1445847 - 05/29/10 04:49 AM Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece [Re: casinitaly]
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member

That is definitely a typo... I'd say finger 2, just like it says later.

#1445853 - 05/29/10 05:23 AM Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece [Re: ll]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: ll
That is definitely a typo... I'd say finger 2, just like it says later.

I felt it had to be, thanks for the confirmation!

#1448330 - 06/01/10 08:38 PM Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece [Re: casinitaly]
CMohr Offline

I got my book today, yea! So what's the plan? Are we going to work on the same exercises, etc. or pick each others' brains? Post recordings?

I've only quickly scanned through the book, looks like it will be fun.

#1448384 - 06/01/10 09:54 PM Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece [Re: CMohr]
bluespianofan Offline

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Don't forget to swing those notes!

#1448506 - 06/02/10 12:31 AM Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece [Re: bluespianofan]
Pianosaurus Rex Offline

Originally Posted By: CMohr
I got my book today, yea! So what's the plan? Are we going to work on the same exercises, etc. or pick each others' brains? Post recordings?

I've only quickly scanned through the book, looks like it will be fun.

I can't really work on the same exercises as you, since I don't have the actual book, just some copied pages my teacher assigned to me.

I can, of course, record those pages I do have! Here's a rather slow recording of #6 I made a while back.
http://www.box.net/shared/4c0v5j0dff

Originally Posted By: bluespianofan
Don't forget to swing those notes!

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Don't really know why, guess I just like alternating.

#1448629 - 06/02/10 07:36 AM Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece [Re: Pianosaurus Rex]
GlassLove Offline
500 Post Club Member

That is a really nice recording, PianosaurusRex. I am so excited for my book to come. It hasn't even shipped yet mad

#1448664 - 06/02/10 09:09 AM Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece [Re: GlassLove]
GlassLove Offline
500 Post Club Member

YEAH!!! I just got notice that it shipped. yippie I like the idea of working on the same lessons and discussing them. I love the idea of recording ourselves. I haven't managed to record myself up to this point. I did do some digital filming (with my camera), but the sound quality was pretty poor. How did you record yourself, Pianosaurus?

#1448674 - 06/02/10 09:27 AM Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece [Re: GlassLove]
casinitaly Offline

Glassglove, glad your book has shipped! woohoo!

CMohr, I have no idea how we're going to move ahead with this - post our successes? Comments? Ask each other questions? Maybe just encourage each other.

PianosaurusRex - nice recording - you say you did this a while back - do you feel you're making progress on it?
I noticed you only played the first chord of the right hand in each bar - (at least that's how it sounded, I could be wrong) - however, that seems like a good idea as a "building step" for gradually working into the piece - while getting the left hand under control.

I did some work on Minuet N4 and I have to say I didn't care for it much. I think n. 2 is a very pretty little piece. 3 is a bit more challenging, but I've been focusing more on my Purcell "AIR" and getting dynamics into Vinciquerra - Lilla than working in this book.

I don't know when I'll get around to doing recording. I have to move the computer over to the piano and last time I tried undocking it I ran into problems... grrrr. Now that I know how to do it all, maybe it woun't be so irritating. In the end the set up /connection was quite easy, I used Audacity and then converted to Mp3.

Maybe next weekend.

#1448732 - 06/02/10 11:37 AM Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece [Re: casinitaly]
Howser Offline

Loc: Pretoria, South Africa
Hi everyone,

Out of interest and as a guide if I should get the book, those that already have the book, what grade/level are you?

Started: 17 December 2009
Using : Alfred's All-In-One Level 2
Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Pieces for Piano
Alfred Adult "Greatest Hits"
Masterwork Classics 1-2

#1448737 - 06/02/10 11:48 AM Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece [Re: Howser]
casinitaly Offline

I started playing 1 week after you smile. I had never played piano before that, though I play clarinet and guitar.

I'm a pretty clear beginner! This book is, aimed at "young pianists" (in the preface) ...and I take that "young" as being "new" smile

There are 14 Exercises and Minuets, 10 Etudes and Pieces and 10 more advanced exercises at the end of the piece. It seems to me that the level of difficulty increases as you go along, but it doesn't look intimidating.

Hope that helps.

#1448742 - 06/02/10 12:02 PM Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece [Re: Howser]
Pianosaurus Rex Offline

Originally Posted By: GlassLove
That is a really nice recording, PianosaurusRex. I am so excited for my book to come. It hasn't even shipped yet mad

Thank you very much!

Originally Posted By: GlassLove
How did you record yourself, Pianosaurus?

I used my laptop, which is positioned right on top of my Digital. I'm going to try recording my acoustic tomorrow, I think I'll have to place my laptop a bit further away. smile

Originally Posted By: casinitaly
PianosaurusRex - nice recording - you say you did this a while back - do you feel you're making progress on it?
I noticed you only played the first chord of the right hand in each bar - (at least that's how it sounded, I could be wrong) - however, that seems like a good idea as a "building step" for gradually working into the piece - while getting the left hand under control.

Hah, I'm definitely making progress. I play it pretty much the same now, except I can do it a bit faster if I'd like. Also, with each exercise I learn, the others become much more manageable!

And this exercise actually only has a single right hand chord each measure, I think you might be confused with minuet #6 which has several chords over the same left hand.
I'm working on minuet #6 now, and it's pretty tricky, I'm not gonna post a recording of that yet!

What you said kind of described the way I did learn exercise #6 though. At first when I still had trouble with it, I only played the right hand and the first note of the left hand in each measure.
After I got all those chords down it was really easy to add the remaining left hand notes.
It's a trick my teacher told me to use, and it paid off really well!

Originally Posted By: Howser
Hi everyone,

Out of interest and as a guide if I should get the book, those that already have the book, what grade/level are you?

I also started late December, like many of us here. I think the book will suit you well.
The exercises get progressively harder, so I'm sure there's plenty of useful material in it for you!

#1448797 - 06/02/10 01:34 PM Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece [Re: Pianosaurus Rex]
casinitaly Offline

P-Rex, you're right - I was looking at the Minuet, not the exercise!

I guess a lot of us got our pianos for Christmas eh?

#1448840 - 06/02/10 02:46 PM Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece [Re: casinitaly]
Pianosaurus Rex Offline

Originally Posted By: casinitaly
P-Rex, you're right - I was looking at the Minuet, not the exercise!

I guess a lot of us got our pianos for Christmas eh?

Hehe, just a coincidence in my case. While my piano was indeed a gift, it wasn't necessarily a Christmas gift.

Anyway, I just returned from my lesson. My teacher said I did all my Peterson exercises really well, but she wants me to continue them for one more week because I still played with a slight amount of hesitation here and there.
Also she said that after that, I'd be done with them for a while and we'd move on to Czerny for a bit.

I still have the minuets to all exercises I did so far though, so I still have plenty of Peterson material to keep me going for a while. smile

#1448921 - 06/02/10 05:13 PM Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece [Re: Pianosaurus Rex]
casinitaly Offline

What great feedback from the teacher! Good for you!

Do you know which Czerny you're going to be working on?
That will be interesting!

#1449024 - 06/02/10 07:27 PM Re: OSCAR PETERSON - Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Piece [Re: Pianosaurus Rex]
CMohr Offline

PRex- Sorry I can't seem to listen to your recording. I don't think my old ITunes likes wma files.

Howser - I'm not a true beginner, intermediate I suppose, but I just started the jazz thing last November. I do take lessons and anything I can get my hands on to help me through this journey is all gravy. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
132 registered (ajames, accordeur, Abby Pianoman, A Guy, 38 invisible), 1506 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75334 Members
42 Forums
155760 Topics
2286871 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Damper Regulation difficulty
by lotsofquestions
07/09/14 11:19 PM
chopin unequal temperament
by opus18
07/09/14 11:06 PM
Pianos in the mind of the average American
by Davepost
07/09/14 10:54 PM
Tone effects in Roland DP90se
by lunobili
07/09/14 09:38 PM
Keyboard Memory/Keyboard Visualization
by attaboy
07/09/14 09:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission