Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1449583 - 06/03/10 04:02 PM Grieg's Ballade op.24
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
I play this beautiful and original piece quite often, a staple in the rep. so to speak, yet I always seem to have trouble convincing people to like it as much as I do, and I'm sure it's not my fault, however arrogant that might seem...What are your opinions about the piece?

Couperin pièces, Ravel tombeau de C

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1449593 - 06/03/10 04:13 PM Re: Grieg's Ballade op.24 [Re: dolce sfogato]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
It's not a staple of the repertoire IMO. I might have heard it once(Earl Wild or Bolet all Ballade program?) in 40 years of recital going and it's almost never on recital programs in NYC(even the ones I don't go to).

#1449598 - 06/03/10 04:18 PM Re: Grieg's Ballade op.24 [Re: pianoloverus]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

it's a staple in My rep that is, and, like you, I've never or hardly heard it in concert, Godowski's recording is good, and actually the only one I really like, this isn't about an obscure piece, is it?

#1449604 - 06/03/10 04:22 PM Re: Grieg's Ballade op.24 [Re: dolce sfogato]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
It's tucked away in my library, but not yet in my repertoire. It's one of those odd pieces, always been played by the greats like Godowsky (breathtaking btw), Rachmaninoff, Rubinstein, Merzhanov.. but never really "caught on" outside Scandinavia. I hope that people continue to program it, because there's nothing else like it.

#1449612 - 06/03/10 04:27 PM Re: Grieg's Ballade op.24 [Re: jeffreyjones]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Even Brahms liked it, well, I just will go on confronting people outside Scandinavia with it, too bad for ones repeutation, haha

#1449640 - 06/03/10 05:01 PM Re: Grieg's Ballade op.24 [Re: dolce sfogato]
MarkH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA
I absolutely love it! As I've become more and more familiar with the standard and non-standard repertoire, the number of new pieces I find that really excite me has of course decreased. The Grieg Ballade is one of the few new discoveries within the past couple of years that has really possessed me. I got the complete Grieg solo piano works recorded by Einar Steen-Nokleberg, and I actually prefer his version of the Ballade to Godowsky's. Their interpretations of the more fiery sections are similar, but Einar's slow sections seem deeper to me.

Dolce, as someone who has performed it regularly, what are your thoughts on the piece from a performer's perspective? Does it lie well under the hands? Are the patterns idiomatic? How do you find its difficulty compares to something like Chopin's 1st Ballade?

Jeffrey, where did you see reference to Rachmaninoff playing the Grieg Ballade? It's really a shame he didn't record it. IMO his version would be even more interesting the great one by Godowsky.

In case anyone is interested, I did a quick search for information about it, and I found a doctoral thesis analyzing Grieg's use of variation technique in the Op. 24 Ballade and Old Norwegian Melody with Variations for two pianos Op. 51. In addition to the analysis, it gives the background on the piece's composition: http://etd.ohiolink.edu/send-pdf.cgi/Sagona_Amalia.pdf?osu1257892076

#1449644 - 06/03/10 05:03 PM Re: Grieg's Ballade op.24 [Re: MarkH]
Mattardo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Grieg's piano pieces are wonderful - but woefully underplayed. They always emotionally touch me, though, and that's a good thing. I've met plenty of people who can't stand Grieg, though. For me - he's a very personal pianist, capable of evoking a full orchestra at the piano as well,.

#1449650 - 06/03/10 05:10 PM Re: Grieg's Ballade op.24 [Re: MarkH]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: MarkH
Jeffrey, where did you see reference to Rachmaninoff playing the Grieg Ballade? It's really a shame he didn't record it. IMO his version would be even more interesting the great one by Godowsky.

I'm not sure, but I think it was probably in Dubal's Art of the Piano that I read it was in his repertoire.. along with many other pieces he never recorded, like Liszt's "Dante" Sonata, Totentanz, Scriabin's Fifth Sonata, the "Appassionata"..

#1449651 - 06/03/10 05:13 PM Re: Grieg's Ballade op.24 [Re: Mattardo]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

MarkH, it's a very pianistic piece, with al the obvious influences the young Edvard Hagerup was under, ie. Schumann, Chopin, Liszt, quite difficult in places, never tricky, some hard fingerwork,jumps,the works, but really rewarding, though no final banging..., very moody, and rather dark,and a good performance should avoid the lurking danger of repetitiousness, it's nearly 20 minutes of sheer joy, with a very melancholic undertoe, a masterpiece in my humble opinion, and very worthwhile playing!

#1449689 - 06/03/10 06:06 PM Re: Grieg's Ballade op.24 [Re: dolce sfogato]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: dolce sfogato
Even Brahms liked it, well, I just will go on confronting people outside Scandinavia with it, too bad for ones repeutation, haha

That's the spirit. I enjoy the piece but have only recently been aware of it. A forum member had recommended Leif Ove Andsnes playing, so I purchased a CD and this was on it.

#1449693 - 06/03/10 06:12 PM Re: Grieg's Ballade op.24 [Re: Damon]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Did you like L.O.Andsnes's recording?

#1449705 - 06/03/10 06:35 PM Re: Grieg's Ballade op.24 [Re: dolce sfogato]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area

Yes, I do. I have nothing with which to compare it (it is my only recording of the Ballade), but I like the whole album which included the Concerto and a smattering of familiar lyric pieces. All very well done.

#1449715 - 06/03/10 06:49 PM Re: Grieg's Ballade op.24 [Re: Damon]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I saw this documentary on tv, about Grieg, L.O.A. played a big role in it, he ended up high on a snowy mountain, grand piano and all, playing, I don't remember, maybe Hochzeitstag in Troldhaugen or so, quite unintendedly hilarious, and talked a lot about the Ballade, there was obviously no time to perform it there and then.

#1449718 - 06/03/10 06:55 PM Re: Grieg's Ballade op.24 [Re: dolce sfogato]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I saw this documentary on tv, about Grieg, L.O.A. played a big role in it, he ended up high on a snowy mountain, grand piano and all, playing, I don't remember, maybe Hochzeitstag in Troldhaugen or so, quite unintendedly hilarious, and talked a lot about the Ballade, there was obviously no time to perform it there and then.

I was thinking of bringing that up.. it's called Ballade for Edvard Grieg and it's on DVD..

#1449721 - 06/03/10 07:00 PM Re: Grieg's Ballade op.24 [Re: jeffreyjones]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

talking about ballades, I see that you're taking on Chopin's op.23, how are you doing, and what is your major trouble, mine is the little run upwards towards the scherzando-section, and some of the octaves in the first big-tune 2nd theme...

#1449738 - 06/03/10 07:48 PM Re: Grieg's Ballade op.24 [Re: dolce sfogato]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

It's been a lifelong endeavor of mine. I started on it really young and I'm still learning. The tinkly/chordy parts are no longer the problem, but rather the pacing in the slower "heartbeat" sections..

#1449894 - 06/04/10 01:28 AM Re: Grieg's Ballade op.24 [Re: dolce sfogato]
BassoonyPianoKevn Offline

Loc: Maryland
I played this piece for a jury at school since I am a music minor last fall. The faculty on the jury told my teacher they had never heard that piece played by a student! I do enjoy playing the Ballade no matter how much stamina it takes. The piece has tricky quick passages along with beautiful chordal parts. You probably know which back to back variations I am thinking of dolce. It was quite a challenge to learn it, as I started in the summer and felt comfortable to perform it by December. It was worth it.

I suspect that people may not like as much as you and I is that it is not the easiest piece to get into on the first few listens. My own introduction to the piece was with the Godowsky recording. I had a hard time the first few times even staying involved listening to the piece. Eventually, I came around. Grieg is one my favorite composers and I had already learned the Sonata and some of the lyric pieces so the next big piece to learn was the Ballade which I'm happy to say I did.

#1449958 - 06/04/10 04:57 AM Re: Grieg's Ballade op.24 [Re: Damon]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Damon

Yes, I do. I have nothing with which to compare it (it is my only recording of the Ballade), but I like the whole album which included the Concerto and a smattering of familiar lyric pieces. All very well done.

I heard a broadcast of him playing it live, and it was riveting. He really knew how to shape the thing, which can be tricky.

#1449970 - 06/04/10 07:01 AM Re: Grieg's Ballade op.24 [Re: wr]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
Hi dolce,

Grieg Ballade Opus 24

Thanks for the lead ... having just downloaded the Ballade from IMSLP (with thanks) and played and recorded the first 8 plaintive measures ... there’s something about the serenity of Grieg’s music (nobody should need persuading of it’s superb quality) ... reminds of the rich isolation of a snow-bedecked fairyland (shades of learning how to ski just north of Oslo).

But something should be said of the polished neatness of a Grieg score ... by comparison beloved Chopin can be all over the place (presently on Sonata 3) ... IMHO Grieg’s innate feel for a watertight score (no loose ends) merits top dog status.

The possible weakness in his writing (looked at from a hot Italian viewpoint) might be due to the vibes of the prevailing loneliness of his sparsely populated fatherland.

Nogtans, weer baie dankie vir die leidraad ... ek is baie dankbaar ... alles van die beste.

#1449974 - 06/04/10 07:43 AM Re: Grieg's Ballade op.24 [Re: btb]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: btb
Hi dolce,

Grieg Ballade Opus 24

Thanks for the lead ... having just downloaded the Ballade from IMSLP (with thanks) and played and recorded the first 8 plaintive measures ... there’s something about the serenity of Grieg’s music (nobody should need persuading of it’s superb quality) ... reminds of the rich isolation of a snow-bedecked fairyland (shades of learning how to ski just north of Oslo).

But something should be said of the polished neatness of a Grieg score ... by comparison beloved Chopin can be all over the place (presently on Sonata 3) ... IMHO Grieg’s innate feel for a watertight score (no loose ends) merits top dog status.

The possible weakness in his writing (looked at from a hot Italian viewpoint) might be due to the vibes of the prevailing loneliness of his sparsely populated fatherland.

Nogtans, weer baie dankie vir die leidraad ... ek is baie dankbaar ... alles van die beste. Graag gedaan, veel succes!

#1451964 - 06/07/10 02:06 PM Re: Grieg's Ballade op.24 [Re: dolce sfogato]
jdhampton924 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Evansville, Indiana
I also love this piece, I had started working on it about a year and a half ago, had to put it down though. I loved every minute of it though! Hopely I will get a chance to work on it next year.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
141 registered (a-z0-9, alans, ando, ABC Vermonter, 46 invisible), 1448 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75609 Members
42 Forums
156343 Topics
2296263 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha P-85 closer to a Grand Piano action than any Upright!
by Paul678
08/01/14 07:22 PM
Do someone have a Sciortino Insta-COILER
by Olek
08/01/14 06:55 PM
Buying used piano for school district - need advice/cautions
by ChoralScholar
08/01/14 05:34 PM
Help with a leg!
by igirl
08/01/14 04:53 PM
Have you had to fire your piano teacher? Why?
by alans
08/01/14 04:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission