2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, 11 invisible), 1,905 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
OP Offline
D
I've been listening to a piano solo of "Der Erlkönig" on a Piano Classics CD because I wanted to play it. I could tell that the pianist was playing on a grand piano (an excellent sound quality, for that matter).

I've gotten much better at playing this piece, except for one problem. When I play this piece on my Casio PX-120, my right arm gets tired pretty quickly as a result of playing repeated notes quickly, a characteristic of this piece. The right hand plays repeated triplets of the same notes very rapidly.

I played part of this piece on a real grand piano, and when I played, I noticed that my arm was not tired at all.

Why did my right arm get so fatigued when I played on my Casio PX-120 (or other digital piano), but not when I played on the grand piano?

I've had my Casio PX-120 for about 8 months now. I can't afford a piano in my basement, which is where I live and keep the Casio.

Kawai KG-3C (primary)
Casio PX-120

https://youtube.com/user/1001dlee
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Posture? Does your position before the digital differ from that before the grand piano.

M
M
I can relate to what you write. Playing fast on my Yamaha Clavinova is very tiring for me, too. I'm pretty sure that for the most part it's a matter of technique or lack thereof in my case, but having played on good uprights and grands as well, I know that it is just so much easier to play on a good keyboard.

With a lot of keyboards, either the action is too soft or it is too hard and playing feels like a work out for your fingers. Furthermore, with many keyboards, the key needs to travel a long distance until the sound is produced, it's like walking though deep snow, very tiring.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Which muscles are affected, your top forearm muscles or the muscles on the underside of your arm?

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
I get fatigue when playing a digital piano too, thats because the key needs to go very far and doesn't come back quick enough.

On a grand piano, the key doesn't have to come all the way back to rest position before you can strike it again. On a digital, it does.

I use my digital for slow practice with headphones, at times that it is not appropriate to use the grand, so hardly ever really. I'm glad its there though.

YAMAHA Artist
N
N
Originally Posted by joe80
On a grand piano, the key doesn't have to come all the way back to rest position before you can strike it again. On a digital, it does.

Which digital do you use? This isn't the case on my digital Yamaha Clavinova, nor should it be on those digitals pianos with three sensors, GH3 etc. The Casio PX-120 does not have a Tri-Sensor keyboard.

Last edited by NikkiPiano; 06/01/10 08:06 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

That was what me disturbed most with my CP136.
Technically spoken it was necessary to rise the key by 50%, and because nobody can do this precisely I had to rise the key 80% to 100% before restriking.
But I modified it and now it is fine.

Also the new Casio series with 3 sensor keyboard and the new Kawais dont require to rise the key totally.

Peter

1929 Galaxy Blüthner Baby Grand
acer aspire m3300 AMD Phenom II X6

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by NikkiPiano

Which digital do you use? This isn't the case on my digital Yamaha Clavinova, nor should it be on those digitals pianos with three sensors, GH3 etc. The Casio PX-120 does not have a Tri-Sensor keyboard.

I have a CP-300 which doesn't have the GH3 keyboard. At the school where I teach there is a CLP-370 and yeah its good, but still not really close to a grand, and I still get tired out on it.

YAMAHA Artist
N
N
Do you think this is because the action may be heavier, stiffer, has more travel or doesn't bounce back in a more amenable way?

M
M
If I may answer,too: it'a all four factors you mentioned that make long playing so tiring.

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
Agreed smile

Digital pianos are great instruments and have a place, but virtuoso practice isn't one of their places yet. Well, of course, the AvantGrand is a different story!

YAMAHA Artist
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I've noticed the grading of the keys on both of our keyboards (P120, StudioLogic 880) is not nearly as pronounced as our grand piano. The keyboards feel largely the same from low to high, whereas on our grand piano you can really tell where you are by the heaviness of the feel. This tends to make the higher notes on our keyboards heavier than on our real piano, which might be one reasons your right arm out is tiring out.

Whatever you do, if you feel pain you should stop for a while. My wife has what seems to be a permanent injury from playing through the pain many years ago.

D
OP Offline
D
What is your opinion of the Casio PX-120? Is it a good digital piano to play fast music such as "Der Erlkonig"?

Last edited by dlee1001; 06/04/10 09:52 AM.
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
I've found that indeed, the weighted keys on all the digital pianos I"ve played have felt heavier than any real piano I ever played, I think they over-do it! Maybe, as someone mentioned, they are weighting them all as "bottom" keys. As for the keys being graded to reduce the weight as you move up on the keyboard, that's supposed to be a feature of the recent Yamahas, which I haven't played.

I had never thought about the other issue raised here, though, that you have to raise the key higher before a restrike, too. As it happens, I have one of those "triple strike" Casios on order, I'll be curious to see if that actually addresses that.

M
M
Originally Posted by dlee1001
What is your opinion of the Casio PX-120? Is it a good digital piano to play fast music such as "Der Erlkonig"?

The PX-120 (and 320) has the heaviest, clunkiest action of a digital piano ever, or at least of those DPs I know. With the PX-130 (and 330), Casio has made the action much lighter, more Yamaha-like I suppose, so it looks like they realized their earlier action was too stiff and heavy.

I'm not surprised at all you are having fatigue issues with the PX-120 if you try to play fast on it. To me the PX-120 always felt like playing on bricks...

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
on some good acoustic pianos, the keys have the sort of mechanical/string bounce feel, which if you could take advantage of would make playing much easier, but digital keys (at least in current action technology) don't have such feel, and would feel somewhat 'dead weight', which won't help your relaxing your fingers or arms at all unless you force yourself playing relaxed. just have to find a way to adapt to it. my teacher used to tell me that playing on acoustic is easier than on digital.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission