Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1450352 - 06/04/10 06:43 PM How to Produce a Warm Tone
survivordan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio
I ma wondering what can be done to prduce a warm, soft tone for a quiet, melodic piece. I am not sure if it has to do with weight, playing with more of the soft, sensitive part of the finger, or what?

Thanks in advance for the help!

BACH: Invention No. 13 in a min.
GRIEG: Notturno Op. 54 No. 4
VILLA-LOBOS: O Polichinelo

Next Up:

BACH: Keyboard Concerto in f minor

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1450375 - 06/04/10 07:12 PM Re: How to Produce a "Warm" Tone [Re: survivordan]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
first of all: use your ears, and if you don't like what you hear, try something else, wait,arms,hands, but listen first!

Couperin pièces, Ravel tombeau de C

#1450386 - 06/04/10 07:24 PM Re: How to Produce a "Warm" Tone [Re: dolce sfogato]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Play on a good piano! The instrument's quality makes a huge difference.

#1450392 - 06/04/10 07:29 PM Re: How to Produce a "Warm" Tone [Re: AZNpiano]
gooddog Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Above is good advice. It also helps to think differently when you play the notes. Pretend the keys are made of velvet. Let your hand weight touch the key gently and lift off with a slightly lingering touch. Think warm, sweet and melodic. It will come through.

Deborah

#1450394 - 06/04/10 07:30 PM Re: How to Produce a "Warm" Tone [Re: AZNpiano]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
No you should be able to produce a good sound on any piano.

Transfer weight from your whole body into the keyboard. Very strong fingers and arch, your fingers shouldn't be breaking at the top joint, and forearm should be free. And also transfering weight from finger to finger.

That's one analogy.

It's also like thinking how people play tennis or golf, strong grip but arms are free and transferring weight from the body or the ball won't go far.

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#1450399 - 06/04/10 07:41 PM Re: How to Produce a "Warm" Tone [Re: dolce sfogato]
Mostly Offline

Well, apart from the quality of the piano, what would I do to produce a warmer tone...
Use the pedal, accentuate some notes, highlight the harmonies.
Regarding touch, I think that by playing further in the keys it naturally slows your attack speed, resulting in a softer sound ; on the contrary, playing close to the edge can make for a virtuoso and somewhat brittle sound. That's what I do at least...
The last, and the hardest, is probably how you articulate the notes (holding them longer, playing them legatissimo, that will result in a warmer tone), not only around each other, but around the beat. It is particularily obvious when you hear Horowitz, he has that way of holding some notes while still giving the impression that he stays in time. More agressive players, and I think jazz players do that, will attack the notes just before the beat as to give it more strenght.

That's all I can think of, except perhaps some good old fashioned keyboard magic.

Oh, and I definitely disagree with you Angelina ! A piano you know well is often a much better instrument than another you've never tried ! Well, at least for people like me who don't really have much experience playing on concert grands...
A little personal anecdote : after high school, I practiced like there was no tomorrow, and entered an audition for the conservatory. I started by playing Chopin 10/4, and the action on the piano I was given was so stiff I missed half the note in the opening bars, then I proceeded to not sound some more. By the end, I could see the faces of the jury, and was truly ashamed. I somehow managed to play the other pieces, but not only was I not only confident, I also couldn't produce the sound I wanted. Sure, I was really inexperienced, but still - my point is, had I played on my home piano, it wouldn't have been so horrible.
(and joke aside, some pianos really have a crappy, shallow, metallic tone, and I doubt even the best players could muster anything really beautiful out of those...)

Edited by Mostly (06/04/10 07:48 PM)

#1450406 - 06/04/10 07:52 PM Re: How to Produce a "Warm" Tone [Re: Mostly]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
Yes but I was merely talking about practicing not performng and only about sound in particular.

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#1450436 - 06/04/10 08:27 PM Re: How to Produce a "Warm" Tone [Re: Mostly]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Originally Posted By: Mostly

A piano you know well is often a much better instrument than another you've never tried !

Hmm, really?

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1450442 - 06/04/10 08:32 PM Re: How to Produce a "Warm" Tone [Re: stores]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

just play between the tropic of cancer and the tropic of, well, the other one

#1450449 - 06/04/10 08:38 PM Re: How to Produce a "Warm" Tone [Re: dolce sfogato]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: dolce sfogato

..Capricorn? Yes, this is probably the best way. Otherwise, call a technician and explain to him what you want.

#1450452 - 06/04/10 08:39 PM Re: How to Produce a "Warm" Tone [Re: stores]
Mostly Offline

Originally Posted By: stores

A piano you know well is often a much better instrument than another you've never tried !

Hmm, really?

That's what I tell my poor self when I see beautiful concert grands I have about no chance of ever owning...

#1450453 - 06/04/10 08:41 PM Re: How to Produce a "Warm" Tone [Re: Damon]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Damon
Originally Posted By: dolce sfogato

..Capricorn? Yes, this is probably the best way. Otherwise, call a technician and explain to him what you want.
that's the one!

#1450457 - 06/04/10 08:44 PM Re: How to Produce a "Warm" Tone [Re: dolce sfogato]
Mostly Offline

I used to live in the South Pacific, near the tropic of the Capricorn, and if there's one thing I can tell you, it's that the only thing getting warm and moist and sticky will be your fingers. And maybe the keyboard flooded with shed skin. Your piano, on the other sticky hand, will die an horrible and painful death.

Or so the story of the poor upright I had at the time goes.

Edited by Mostly (06/04/10 08:45 PM)

#1450461 - 06/04/10 08:47 PM Re: How to Produce a "Warm" Tone [Re: Mostly]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I played a concert once on a Carribean island, and little white bugs came creaping out of the whole instrument, very disconcerting, haha

#1450462 - 06/04/10 08:50 PM Re: How to Produce a "Warm" Tone [Re: dolce sfogato]
Mostly Offline

At least you made the music come alive, I guess ? Is it what they call "mushy" playing ?

Is it not Plato that said little white bugs were the souls of the dead or something like that ? Or was it black butterflies ? Anyways you definitly conjured something there. Or maybe you just inspire that kind of audience...

Edited by Mostly (06/04/10 08:50 PM)

#1450466 - 06/04/10 08:57 PM Re: How to Produce a "Warm" Tone [Re: Mostly]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

bfff, and another instance was in this new concerthall, opening recital, a spider came down from this really high ceiling, on it's little invisible thread, dangling above the keyboard, me playing something really difficult, I had to laugh so hard internally, and hope the spider would't land on the keys, whitch it didn't luckily, that I don't remember how
I played, got a nice applause, so it worked out well...

#1450473 - 06/04/10 09:13 PM Re: How to Produce a "Warm" Tone [Re: dolce sfogato]
Mostly Offline

During my exams this year, I had a fly constantly landing on the keys while I was playing. So irritating. It was a huge fly too, I could almost hear it "bzzzt" around ; not only did it make me lose concentration (my spirit is so weak...), I also somewhat lost my "mental balance", like where the keys are relative to me, and almost made a handful of wrong notes ; luckily it was the andante from the appassionata, so I managed to hold the pedal for a while and chase it away with a swift yet elegant slap.

I've heard that in distant lands they torture pianists that are found to be spies by forcing them to play with flies and water dripping in the background. Most end up insane.

#1450589 - 06/05/10 01:50 AM Re: How to Produce a "Warm" Tone [Re: Mostly]
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
Warm playing is about gripping not poking the keys. I had mice living in a piano once - the nest was right under the keys!

#1450635 - 06/05/10 06:28 AM Re: How to Produce a "Warm" Tone [Re: keyboardklutz]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: keyboardklutz
Warm playing is about gripping not poking the keys. I had mice living in a piano once - the nest was right under the keys!

Their body heat warmed the keys thus enhancing your ability to produce a warm tone, yes?

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

#1450643 - 06/05/10 06:49 AM Re: How to Produce a "Warm" Tone [Re: Mostly]
Happy Birthday casinitaly Online   content

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy

I've heard that in distant lands they torture pianists that are found to be spies by forcing them to play with flies and water dripping in the background. Most end up insane.

I think I could cope with the water, but dripping flies ?? ewwwww. (sorry, I couldn't resist! smile )

#1450939 - 06/05/10 04:50 PM Re: How to Produce a "Warm" Tone [Re: Mostly]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
laugh

#1451007 - 06/05/10 07:58 PM Re: How to Produce a "Warm" Tone [Re: Pogorelich.]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Originally Posted By: AngelinaPogorelich

If that were true, universities and concert halls would buy Samick and Young Chang grands. They're cheaper!
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1451020 - 06/05/10 08:28 PM Re: How to Produce a "Warm" Tone [Re: Mostly]
Arghhh Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Isn't that what happened to Chopin on Majorca?

#1451029 - 06/05/10 08:55 PM Re: How to Produce a "Warm" Tone [Re: Kreisler]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kreisler

If that were true, universities and concert halls would buy Samick and Young Chang grands. They're cheaper!

Not so, because she's not talking about the voice of the piano itself, but the sound you produce. A great pianist can make a piece of sh*t piano sound good...have heard it done many, many times.

♪ ≠ $

#1451041 - 06/05/10 09:33 PM Re: How to Produce a "Warm" Tone [Re: stores]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Not so, because she's not talking about the voice of the piano itself, but the sound you produce. A great pianist can make a piece of sh*t piano sound good...have heard it done many, many times.

Well, then you haven't played those pianos in the practice rooms recently, have you??? I don't care if Liszt or Chopin came back to life, NO ONE can sound good on a piece of junk piano. The pianists you're talking about can make a "decent" piano sound "superior." Maybe that's about it.

#1451056 - 06/05/10 09:48 PM Re: How to Produce a "Warm" Tone [Re: stores]
al-mahed Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Rio de Janeiro
Originally Posted By: Kreisler

In fact, my teacher agrees with Angelina and Stores. I think there are two different things: one thing is the responsability of the artist to deliver a great rendition no matter how crapy the instrument is. On the other hand, of course one cannot deliver this great rendition with its full capabilities without a good instrument.

That is: don't use as an excuse the condition of the instrument. I don't know if I agree completely with stores/angelina/my teacher point-of-view, since I play at crapy pianos every week and I know what is a piano full of keys with "personality".

Working on: music

#1451060 - 06/05/10 09:51 PM Re: How to Produce a "Warm" Tone [Re: al-mahed]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
The piano is a limiting factor, though. Given two players and one piano, the better player will obviously produce the better tone.

But given two pianos and one great players, the better piano will sound better.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1451081 - 06/05/10 10:23 PM Re: How to Produce a "Warm" Tone [Re: Kreisler]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
For a pianist of my moderate caliber, the piano makes a substantial difference. A bad action throws my timing off, and I have to compensate for that before I can begin to work on the tone.

#1451131 - 06/05/10 11:36 PM Re: How to Produce a "Warm" Tone [Re: BDB]
Arghhh Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Back to the warm tone issue, either Dalton Baldwin or Gerald Moore (I forget which of these famed collaborative artists it was) supposedly had very fleshy fingertips and claimed that this is what helped him get a warm sound. If you play more torwards the tip of your finger (by the nail), you should get a harder sound as there is less cushioning.

On the other hand, I'm sure there are people out there who say this can't change the tone of the piano.

#1451143 - 06/05/10 11:56 PM Re: How to Produce a "Warm" Tone [Re: AZNpiano]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: AZNpiano

Well, then you haven't played those pianos in the practice rooms recently, have you??? I don't care if Liszt or Chopin came back to life, NO ONE can sound good on a piece of junk piano. The pianists you're talking about can make a "decent" piano sound "superior." Maybe that's about it.

Sure they can. I've heard many excellent pianists who have floored the room by playing pianos that no one else wants anything to do with.

♪ ≠ $

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
146 registered (accordeur, ando, Alex-SapRenovation, 43 invisible), 1840 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75574 Members
42 Forums
156262 Topics
2294814 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Lamp for Piano
by DancerJ
07/29/14 03:08 PM
Sonatina in G
by Ritzycat
07/29/14 03:06 PM
schulze pollmann upright piano SP-114/p4
by how0425
07/29/14 03:01 PM
Looking for my next piece
by Mallory
07/29/14 02:39 PM
A pianist joke
by PaperClip
07/29/14 01:55 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission