2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 12 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1450352 06/04/10 06:43 PM
S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
I ma wondering what can be done to prduce a warm, soft tone for a quiet, melodic piece. I am not sure if it has to do with weight, playing with more of the soft, sensitive part of the finger, or what?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Working On:

BACH: Invention No. 13 in a min.
GRIEG: Notturno Op. 54 No. 4
VILLA-LOBOS: O Polichinelo

Next Up:

BACH: Keyboard Concerto in f minor
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
first of all: use your ears, and if you don't like what you hear, try something else, wait,arms,hands, but listen first!

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Play on a good piano! The instrument's quality makes a huge difference.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Above is good advice. It also helps to think differently when you play the notes. Pretend the keys are made of velvet. Let your hand weight touch the key gently and lift off with a slightly lingering touch. Think warm, sweet and melodic. It will come through.

Best regards,

Deborah
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
No you should be able to produce a good sound on any piano.

Transfer weight from your whole body into the keyboard. Very strong fingers and arch, your fingers shouldn't be breaking at the top joint, and forearm should be free. And also transfering weight from finger to finger.

That's one analogy.

It's also like thinking how people play tennis or golf, strong grip but arms are free and transferring weight from the body or the ball won't go far.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
M
M
Well, apart from the quality of the piano, what would I do to produce a warmer tone...
Use the pedal, accentuate some notes, highlight the harmonies.
Regarding touch, I think that by playing further in the keys it naturally slows your attack speed, resulting in a softer sound ; on the contrary, playing close to the edge can make for a virtuoso and somewhat brittle sound. That's what I do at least...
The last, and the hardest, is probably how you articulate the notes (holding them longer, playing them legatissimo, that will result in a warmer tone), not only around each other, but around the beat. It is particularily obvious when you hear Horowitz, he has that way of holding some notes while still giving the impression that he stays in time. More agressive players, and I think jazz players do that, will attack the notes just before the beat as to give it more strenght.

That's all I can think of, except perhaps some good old fashioned keyboard magic.

Oh, and I definitely disagree with you Angelina ! A piano you know well is often a much better instrument than another you've never tried ! Well, at least for people like me who don't really have much experience playing on concert grands...
A little personal anecdote : after high school, I practiced like there was no tomorrow, and entered an audition for the conservatory. I started by playing Chopin 10/4, and the action on the piano I was given was so stiff I missed half the note in the opening bars, then I proceeded to not sound some more. By the end, I could see the faces of the jury, and was truly ashamed. I somehow managed to play the other pieces, but not only was I not only confident, I also couldn't produce the sound I wanted. Sure, I was really inexperienced, but still - my point is, had I played on my home piano, it wouldn't have been so horrible.
(and joke aside, some pianos really have a crappy, shallow, metallic tone, and I doubt even the best players could muster anything really beautiful out of those...)

Last edited by Mostly; 06/04/10 07:48 PM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Yes but I was merely talking about practicing not performng and only about sound in particular.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mostly

A piano you know well is often a much better instrument than another you've never tried !

Hmm, really?

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
just play between the tropic of cancer and the tropic of, well, the other one

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato

..Capricorn? Yes, this is probably the best way. Otherwise, call a technician and explain to him what you want.

M
M
Originally Posted by stores

A piano you know well is often a much better instrument than another you've never tried !

Hmm, really?

That's what I tell my poor self when I see beautiful concert grands I have about no chance of ever owning...

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Damon
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato

..Capricorn? Yes, this is probably the best way. Otherwise, call a technician and explain to him what you want.
that's the one!

M
M
I used to live in the South Pacific, near the tropic of the Capricorn, and if there's one thing I can tell you, it's that the only thing getting warm and moist and sticky will be your fingers. And maybe the keyboard flooded with shed skin. Your piano, on the other sticky hand, will die an horrible and painful death.

Or so the story of the poor upright I had at the time goes.

Last edited by Mostly; 06/04/10 08:45 PM.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I played a concert once on a Carribean island, and little white bugs came creaping out of the whole instrument, very disconcerting, haha

M
M
At least you made the music come alive, I guess ? Is it what they call "mushy" playing ?

Is it not Plato that said little white bugs were the souls of the dead or something like that ? Or was it black butterflies ? Anyways you definitly conjured something there. Or maybe you just inspire that kind of audience...

Last edited by Mostly; 06/04/10 08:50 PM.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
bfff, and another instance was in this new concerthall, opening recital, a spider came down from this really high ceiling, on it's little invisible thread, dangling above the keyboard, me playing something really difficult, I had to laugh so hard internally, and hope the spider would't land on the keys, whitch it didn't luckily, that I don't remember how
I played, got a nice applause, so it worked out well...

M
M
During my exams this year, I had a fly constantly landing on the keys while I was playing. So irritating. It was a huge fly too, I could almost hear it "bzzzt" around ; not only did it make me lose concentration (my spirit is so weak...), I also somewhat lost my "mental balance", like where the keys are relative to me, and almost made a handful of wrong notes ; luckily it was the andante from the appassionata, so I managed to hold the pedal for a while and chase it away with a swift yet elegant slap.

I've heard that in distant lands they torture pianists that are found to be spies by forcing them to play with flies and water dripping in the background. Most end up insane.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Warm playing is about gripping not poking the keys. I had mice living in a piano once - the nest was right under the keys!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
Warm playing is about gripping not poking the keys. I had mice living in a piano once - the nest was right under the keys!

Their body heat warmed the keys thus enhancing your ability to produce a warm tone, yes?

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

I've heard that in distant lands they torture pianists that are found to be spies by forcing them to play with flies and water dripping in the background. Most end up insane.

I think I could cope with the water, but dripping flies ?? ewwwww. (sorry, I couldn't resist! smile )

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission