Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1450800 - 06/05/10 01:07 PM Re: Piano challenge [Re: Mark_C]
Hayden Brooks Offline

Loc: US of A
Why don't you learn some of them, Mark? It'll be something to do, it'll be fun, I promise smile

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1450801 - 06/05/10 01:07 PM Re: Piano challenge [Re: Mark_C]
jesseoffy Offline

It all depends on how much spare time we have... got about an hour to waste starting now. :P

#1450803 - 06/05/10 01:08 PM Re: Piano challenge [Re: Hayden Brooks]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
I'm so sorry but I don't get this. I hope this doesn't get off really rude...

First of all, your scores lack many details which might make them enjoyable for someone to play. Details about the tempo, the dynamics, etc. A performer shoudln't be forced to play whatever comes out of a sequencer by ear and with a help of a bad score.

Then, the "win" part and the "challenge" part. If there is a wining part there also needs to be a prize. For example, when I was looking for a performer for a piano piece of mine, I piad 400$ to the person who decide to go for it. When I was organising competitions at a website I was an admin, I always had sponsors with prizes of 500-600$ or so on, for the winner. An incentive to take part. If you are unknown, and you are not providing at least something to work with, I don't really understand what you are expecting.

In all honesty I wouldn't expect anyone to bother. As someone else said, be happy that some had a listen... And keep trying to improve in every possible angle of life. smile

#1450806 - 06/05/10 01:11 PM Re: Piano challenge [Re: Nikolas]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Cool, Nikolas -- now he'll feel I was being nice!! ha

#1450810 - 06/05/10 01:15 PM Re: Piano challenge [Re: Nikolas]
Hayden Brooks Offline

@Nikolas
It's not really a competition, I just said it would be fun. Sure the score lacks items that say what speed to go by, what feeling to have, but in my mind, that makes it all the more fun; you get to choose. I'd pick who ever interprets the piece the best as a winner (Time considered).
As for the competition part, it's not really a competition, and I'm not trying to get someone to perform it for something, it's just for fun. I don't know, maybe you don't like fun anymore. The 'winner' will just be who I say is the winner. You do not need to listen to the piece at all, if you wish, you could just go by the sheet music, and think of the best feeling to it for yourself.
I am glad though that there are people listening to the pieces, but why not try to get someone to learn it? I just think it would be cool.
Again, I'm not expecting anybody to play it, but I was hoping that someone would play it, for just the experience of knowing a different song.

#1450812 - 06/05/10 01:16 PM Re: Piano challenge [Re: Mark_C]
jesseoffy Offline

Yeah... what the hell is that middle g and upper d note at the same time on the third piece (I think). We aren't all Rachmaninoff's. laugh

Also, is there any way to download it?

#1450815 - 06/05/10 01:21 PM Re: Piano challenge [Re: jesseoffy]
Hayden Brooks Offline

Originally Posted By: JesseOffy
We aren't all Rachmaninoff's. laugh

Also, is there any way to download it?

As for the big hands stuff, you can choose to leave out a note if you want, or move one up an octave, but yes there's a way to download it. You can print out the scores grin
It's under file → print. If you don't want to do that, you can export it as a midi file, and save it to whatever you want it to be one (i.e. Finale, Sibelius etc.).
That's under file → export → midi file
Then you would have to take the midi file and put it into [insert music notation system here].

#1450871 - 06/05/10 03:07 PM Re: Piano challenge [Re: Hayden Brooks]
Batuhan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Istanbul
I dont want to see **** synthesia stuff on this forum and this piece of musics are completely garbage! waste of time. If you are too stubborn dont accept my criticism and complain me to admins.

Edited by Kreisler (06/05/10 04:34 PM)
Edit Reason: profanity removed

Published:
Waltz Op. 36 No. 1 in G-flat major,
2 Preludes, Op. 12 in D-flat major.

#1450886 - 06/05/10 03:27 PM Re: Piano challenge [Re: Batuhan]
charleslang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I just learned it and played it. It was awesome.

Too bad I don't have a camera! ;-)

Baldwin Model R (1974), Hardman 5'9" grand (1915), Rieger-Kloss 42.5" vertical

#1450895 - 06/05/10 03:40 PM Re: Piano challenge [Re: Batuhan]
Hayden Brooks Offline

Originally Posted By: Batuhan
I dont want to see shitty synthesia stuff on this forum and this piece of musics are completely garbage! waste of time. If you are too stubborn dont accept my criticism and complain me to admins.

1: That wasn't very nice :P
2: they're not only on Synthesia; I posted them on there because I think they sound better
3: I didn't ever not accept your criticism; this is the first thing you posted on this thread o.O
4: I can accept criticism. If you don't like the piece, that's great, not everybody will or has to.
5: Maybe you should work on your English smile
Turkish music is pretty good, and so I can see why you wouldn't like the pieces since Turkish music has a completely different feel.

#1450924 - 06/05/10 04:24 PM Re: Piano challenge [Re: Hayden Brooks]
jesseoffy Offline

It wasn't criticism... here's some: Add dynamics. I tell all my friends that dynamics are what turn notes into music. wink

Also, there are a few instances that could use grace notes instead of a pile of notes and ties... and always keep playability in mind (like the notes I mentioned before.)

#1450927 - 06/05/10 04:27 PM Re: Piano challenge [Re: Hayden Brooks]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Hayden Brooks
@Nikolas
It's not really a competition, I just said it would be fun. Sure the score lacks items that say what speed to go by, what feeling to have, but in my mind, that makes it all the more fun; you get to choose. I'd pick who ever interprets the piece the best as a winner (Time considered).
hmmm... you got me there I think! laugh

Quote:
As for the competition part, it's not really a competition, and I'm not trying to get someone to perform it for something, it's just for fun. I don't know, maybe you don't like fun anymore. The 'winner' will just be who I say is the winner. You do not need to listen to the piece at all, if you wish, you could just go by the sheet music, and think of the best feeling to it for yourself.
Well, you got me there too. Because I kinda thought that you were just trying to get people to perform your music for free... and used the worst possible method for this.

As for the fun comment, I have to admit that it's not my kind of fun to be feeling that I'm being taking for an idiot. Maybe I read into this too much, but all this challenge to see you in youtube (signature refernece) and challenge this, challenge that. It feels like a moronic kind of dare bait: "Do you dare to play my music?" NO! Cause I don't think you're asking nicely at all, plus I can't say I enjoyed your music.

Quote:
I am glad though that there are people listening to the pieces, but why not try to get someone to learn it? I just think it would be cool.
Again, I'm not expecting anybody to play it, but I was hoping that someone would play it, for just the experience of knowing a different song.
Yes, of course, I have this feeling connstantly and this is why I offer sometimes my scores as well! Really simple. It's nice and cool to get your music played, but you have to also consider what the other end is getting. If they are, indeed, getting fun, then by all means. But if you are trying to lure them with silly challenges and all that... :-/

#1450929 - 06/05/10 04:28 PM Re: Piano challenge [Re: jesseoffy]
Hayden Brooks Offline

I tell all my friends that dynamics are what turn notes into music. wink

keep playability in mind (like the notes I mentioned before.)

Yes, I changed the third piece's (Toccata in C minor) super big leap, and took the bottom note up an octave, so that's playable now.
I suppose I could put some dynamics in there... Or... Some more dynamics. smile

#1450934 - 06/05/10 04:36 PM Re: Piano challenge [Re: Nikolas]
Hayden Brooks Offline

Originally Posted By: Nikolas

you used the worst possible method for this.

Cause I don't think you're asking nicely at all, plus I can't say I enjoyed your music.

but you have to also consider what the other end is getting. But if you are trying to lure them with silly challenges and all that... :-/

Well, for the first part, I would never try to do that laugh I'm not that stupid.
The second part, I may not be asking in a 'nice' manner depending on the way you read it; since I'm not saying it in person, you can't tell the tone which would be a sort of playful tone.
The silly challenges are just one of those things. Some people may want them i.e. first comment, or some people may not like them i.e. you.
Either way, I mean no insult to this community. I apologize if my message was ill-received.
I would just be so happy if someone played it, but I didn't want to post, "Does anybody want to play this piece?" I figured that would sound real boring, and I'm sure you see my dilemma.

#1450936 - 06/05/10 04:39 PM Re: Piano challenge [Re: Hayden Brooks]
Batuhan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Istanbul
I dont want to see shitty synthesia stuff on this forum and this piece of musics are completely garbage! waste of time. If you are too stubborn dont accept my criticism and complain me to admins.

1: That wasn't very nice :P
2: they're not only on Synthesia; I posted them on there because I think they sound better
3: I didn't ever not accept your criticism; this is the first thing you posted on this thread o.O
4: I can accept criticism. If you don't like the piece, that's great, not everybody will or has to.
5: Maybe you should work on your English smile
Turkish music is pretty good, and so I can see why you wouldn't like the pieces since Turkish music has a completely different feel.

I hate turkish music english is not my nature language if you understand me and there is no problem between us grammar dont matter.

Published:
Waltz Op. 36 No. 1 in G-flat major,
2 Preludes, Op. 12 in D-flat major.

#1450950 - 06/05/10 05:17 PM Re: Piano challenge [Re: Batuhan]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there

between us grammar dont matter.

LOL. Apparently not.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1450952 - 06/05/10 05:22 PM Re: Piano challenge [Re: Hayden Brooks]
Phlebas Offline

Loc: New York City
@Nikolas
I just said it would be fun.

Playing bad music is never fun. The music posted is awful. What is the point of playing bad music like that?

#1450986 - 06/05/10 07:09 PM Re: Piano challenge [Re: Phlebas]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
What just happened? Has anyone noticed?

The OP is new to PW and should be welcomed.
He wanted us to try some of his music.
He asked politely.
Several responded politely.
Suddenly the tone of a few posters became nasty.
The OP responded politely and graciously accepted criticism.
Posters got nastier.
He stayed polite.

Hayden Brooks sounds like an okay guy who might have something to add to PW. He's new. Why is he being jumped on? I have been under the impression that this is not an elitist forum.

Deborah

#1451103 - 06/05/10 10:55 PM Re: Piano challenge [Re: gooddog]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

I don't know if this is refering to me but anyways, my take to your comments.
Originally Posted By: gooddog

The OP is new to PW and should be welcomed.
Yes, this is true. He wasn't exactly welcomed.

Quote:
He wanted us to try some of his music.
He asked politely.
Maybe it's a European vs USA thing, but I hardly found his manner polite. He didn't want us to try his music, but wanted to challenge us, reward us with his choice of the best performer/ance and so on.
Quote:
Several responded politely.
True.
Quote:
Suddenly the tone of a few posters became nasty.
I don't think I became nasty, but certainly I was not nice. I do think I stayed in the edge of being polite.
Quote:
The OP responded politely and graciously accepted criticism.
Yes and no. He has stayed completely polite (although I have been accused of not having fun, or knowing what fun is anymore, etc... but anyway). He did stick to his idea of promoting his music in this manner and way.
Quote:
Posters got nastier.
True frown
Quote:
He stayed polite.

Hayden Brooks sounds like an okay guy who might have something to add to PW. He's new. Why is he being jumped on? I have been under the impression that this is not an elitist forum.
I do hope this forum stays as it is, perhaps a tiny bit under moderated, but anyway, certainly not an elitist forum. I also hope that it is clear that my 'grip' is not with a guy who I have no idea who he is, so this is not personal, nor about the quality of his music (although I did provide a few points and ideas. Had he backed up his idea of no dynamics or tempo, maybe I would've accepted this, but he didn't). It was about this promotion of challenging YOU (me) and YOU (you) and everyone to listen, to perform, to win (what?). And this has been repeated adlib, even in his signature.

Again, this could be my grip with such an (apparently) aggressive marketing strategy (marketing and aggressive are both used to explain, though things are not as strong...).

#1451144 - 06/05/10 11:57 PM Re: Piano challenge [Re: stores]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: stores

between us grammar dont matter.

LOL. Apparently not.

That's right! He forgot the apostrophe!! ha

#1451145 - 06/05/10 11:59 PM Re: Piano challenge [Re: jesseoffy]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
It wasn't criticism... here's some: Add dynamics. I tell all my friends that dynamics are what turn notes into music. wink

Tell that to Bach! laugh
Franck - Violin Sonata

#1451147 - 06/06/10 12:01 AM Re: Piano challenge [Re: Phlebas]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Phlebas
.....The music posted is awful.....

C'mon! smile
It might not be your style (and it's not the kind of thing I'd play or learn), but awful it ain't.

#1451149 - 06/06/10 12:02 AM Re: Piano challenge [Re: Nikolas]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Nikolas
.....He wasn't exactly welcomed....

Sure he was, by some of us.
He was by me. I gave him a little bit of a hard time (in fun) about how he expected us to play the piece, but I was glad to have him here, and welcomed him, and so did others.

#1451154 - 06/06/10 12:15 AM Re: Piano challenge [Re: Mark_C]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

He wasn't by me, so: Welcome mate! Enjoy your time here. I do hope we haven't scared you away. Stick around, learn, teach, give and take. That's what the internet forums are about... wink

#1451438 - 06/06/10 03:36 PM Re: Piano challenge [Re: Nikolas]
Hayden Brooks Offline

Thank you Nikolas; I'm sorry if you don't like my marketing ploy, but I think it worked for the most part. In consideration that it may not be 'polite' to challenge someone to play a piece, but I had to think of a way to get people to be interested. I feel as though if I had posted "Could someone please play my songs?" that it would not be appreciated much. The only reason I didn't post it that way is because I don't think it would get any more people to listen to the music (Which is truely my goal), but I'd still get the same amount of people that don't like the music.
I don't care if people don't like my music; not everybody can like something, no matter how good it is. I don't like Chopin, but I don't go on 'everything Chopin' and post "This music is garbage!". I was expecting more people to dislike my music, and so I am quite pleased at the way this worked so far. Thank you Mark C, I don't think you realize how appreciative I am for you defending me! grin
@Kuanpiano Ha ha ha! Nice.

#1451448 - 06/06/10 03:56 PM Re: Piano challenge [Re: Hayden Brooks]
charleslang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hayden, I think you should apologize to this forum. You've admitted that this was a marketing ploy, yes - but more disappointing, from the beginning of this thread, your tone has not been respectful, but completely condescending.

Your 'ploy' (as you yourself call it) has been embarrassingly transparent! It's been awkward to read. I never thought I would feel awkward just reading on an internet forum.

The alternative does not have to be "Could someone please play my songs?". Why not just post them and mention that the scores are available and that you'd be excited to support anyone who would like to play the pieces? You might be surprised at the response, who knows.

Finally, I have a challenge for YOU! Step one: go to your bank. Step two: withdraw 1000 dollars. Step three: send it to me.

C'mon it'll be fun! wink

Baldwin Model R (1974), Hardman 5'9" grand (1915), Rieger-Kloss 42.5" vertical

#1451457 - 06/06/10 04:15 PM Re: Piano challenge [Re: charleslang]
Hayden Brooks Offline

Alright. I'm not coming back after this post.
I didn't mean to be 'awkward'. I'm not apologizing to this forum. I'm sorry if you don't want to do it. I don't care. I'm not giving you 1000 dollars. Think of this from my perspective. Do you really think that this is the first time I've ever done this? No. Maybe you misinterpreted my message. Perhaps you don't understand that I was just trying to be nice and have fun.
I told you already repeatedly that it's not really a contest. I just wanted people to interested in the first place.
I tried being nice, but a lot of you are just being jerks. I don't care any more. I don't feel like this is a great community. None of you are very nice, except for Mark and some others.
Seriously, what's the point of some of those posts? They are only to insult me. Maybe because I'm new? Maybe it's because I'm polite. I don't know. All I know is that I don't like you guys enough to actually accept your 'criticism' (Which is really just a bunch of comments to try and make me feel bad).
It doesn't work to post a song, and say that someone can play it; they never do.
You all are remarkably elitist, and stuck up. (That's the first thing I've said insulting that wasn't joking)
I was going join if you guys would stop being such jerks.
Maybe marketing was the wrong word. All I was trying to do was to get you guys to listen to the song, but screw it. I'm bored of you guys. You don't appreciate my efforts at all. Goodbye.

#1451467 - 06/06/10 04:52 PM Re: Piano challenge [Re: Hayden Brooks]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

I can only see very few 'jerk' posts, and a few more perhaps negative. My posts have been negative, but I seriously doubt there was any insluting point, or even rude as a matter of fact.

I will repeat again, that apart from a small paragraph about the lack of dynamics, tempo, etc, which seems that you forgot, rather than you chose to emmit, there was no other critisism about you or your music, but about your approach here. Forgive me (us) if we think we have a right to care about this forum.

Communication goes both ways and it could very well be that you're sending out the wrong messages, instead of us misinterpreting.

My very sincere and kind and nice suggestion (to all I guess): Let's forget about this thread. Hayden has some music and I'm pretty sure that he would like to share it with us (like some many have done in the past, including me). There's no reason for further discussion or anything else (like appologizing for example). I just hope he got the whole idea: Internet if about getting and giving at the same time (and all bundled with a nice presentation if possible...) smile

If you love piano, or music in more general, stick around. There's hardly another place like this, and believe me, the people here are extremely kind and well tempered! (I mean check youtube/myspace comments for example... Atrocious for the most part).

#1451471 - 06/06/10 04:59 PM Re: Piano challenge [Re: gooddog]
Phlebas Offline

Loc: New York City
Question:
Originally Posted By: gooddog

Answer:
Quote:
I'm sorry if you don't like my marketing ploy, but I think it worked for the most part.

Nikolas, you're right of course. Stick around Hayden.

Edited by Phlebas (06/06/10 05:01 PM)

#1451480 - 06/06/10 05:20 PM Re: Piano challenge [Re: Hayden Brooks]
Mark_C Offline

....I tried being nice, but a lot of you are just being jerks. I don't care any more. I don't feel like this is a great community. None of you are very nice, except for Mark and some others....

Thanks, but I can't quite accept the compliment. Almost everyone here is 'very nice.' Things just got off on a bad foot on this.

The way you approached us was unusual and seemed presumptuous. Since I was pretty sure you were basically okay (and still am), I thought it was best just to have fun with that and sort of trash-talk you a little about it, but still basically to welcome you here -- and that's still what I think.

I don't know if you've been on other discussion sites. I would guess not -- or at least not very much. In case you don't realize it, the fact is that you can't expect people to do stuff "for" you when you first come. You have to establish yourself -- and even then, people may or may not do it. That's just how it is. People come here mainly to "talk," and to "read," and to "listen." They don't come here to be given assignments. Once you're a known person -- well then, maybe.

I hope you won't just leave. But regardless, I hope you'll be able to understand what really happened here. This site is indeed mostly people who are quite nice, and quite willing to support and be interested in one another.

P.S. Glad to see that Nikolas said sort of the same thing.

Edited by Mark_C (06/06/10 05:22 PM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Connect virtual piano to a loopstation?
by Fannix-kun
38 minutes 46 seconds ago
Happy Birthday Charles Ives!!
by Dfrankjazz
Today at 01:11 PM
False beating and unison tuning
by SMHaley
Today at 12:41 PM
Erard/Linke - Obtaining info from Museum of Music - France
by wdmcjrd
Today at 11:59 AM
First Pianniversary
by PhilipInChina
Today at 10:06 AM
Who's Online
161 registered (accordeur, anamnesis, ajames, 36251, Al LaPorte, 44 invisible), 1778 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76594 Members
42 Forums
158380 Topics
2325694 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission