Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1449190 - 06/03/10 01:24 AM Nice places in NYC to serenade a lovely lady?
jscomposer Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Boogie Down
Yes, I'm a hopeless romantic.

I posted in the "Piano" section and the replies were helpful, but only 2.

I'm looking for a grand piano in a relatively private setting I can use for 20-30 minutes one afternoon to show a date how to play a few simple songs and maybe play her some, oh I dunno... Chopin? whistle

Any ideas?

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1449198 - 06/03/10 01:39 AM Re: Nice places in NYC to serenade a lovely lady? [Re: jscomposer]
Rui725 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Polonaise in A flat, Op. 53 will knock her socks off, she will think:

"waaa, so Manly"

haha..

#1449214 - 06/03/10 02:19 AM Re: Nice places in NYC to serenade a lovely lady? [Re: jscomposer]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Grand piano in a relatively private setting?

That's tough, unless you get an apartment, buy a grand piano, and put it in there.
(I mean put the piano in the apartment.) ha

But seriously folks.......usually you'd have to rent a space to get that. Is that what you're thinking of?

#1449254 - 06/03/10 04:40 AM Re: Nice places in NYC to serenade a lovely lady? [Re: Mark_C]
Rui725 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Or sneaking into a practice room at Juillard, NYU, Columbia....

If you know anyone that could help you get access, this would probably be your best bet.

#1449282 - 06/03/10 06:29 AM Re: Nice places in NYC to serenade a lovely lady? [Re: Rui725]
Phlebas Offline

Loc: New York City
Call some of the "community" music schools: Lucy Moses, Turtle Bay, etc. See if they rent practice space. The probably do in the mornings before lessons start in full force during the afternoons.

#1449332 - 06/03/10 09:08 AM Re: Nice places in NYC to serenade a lovely lady? [Re: Phlebas]
Phlebas Offline

Loc: New York City
Also this is coming to NYC later this month. Not as private, though.

#1449382 - 06/03/10 10:25 AM Re: Nice places in NYC to serenade a lovely lady? [Re: jscomposer]
Brooklyn Pianist Offline

Loc: Brooklyn
Midtown studio space

I have not used this space before, but I've been wanting to for a while. The pictures look nice and the prices are reasonable.
Friedman/Bach - Sheep May Safely Graze
Beethoven - Les Adieux

#1449432 - 06/03/10 11:30 AM Re: Nice places in NYC to serenade a lovely lady? [Re: Brooklyn Pianist]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: chicago, il
steinway hall is building practice rooms for $30 an hour. not sure they're ready yet; give 'em a call.

#1449467 - 06/03/10 12:27 PM Re: Nice places in NYC to serenade a lovely lady? [Re: Brooklyn Pianist]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: Brooklyn Pianist
Midtown studio space

I have not used this space before, but I've been wanting to for a while. The pictures look nice and the prices are reasonable.

At $20.00 per hour, these seem like real bargains for NYC!

Regards,

#1449471 - 06/03/10 12:31 PM Re: Nice places in NYC to serenade a lovely lady? [Re: Brooklyn Pianist]
Mark_C Offline

Midtown studio space

Thank you!!!! smile
I'm not the one who asked the question but I think I'll be able to use that place, maybe quite a bit. I often look for places to run through recital and competition programs -- usually I use Merkin Hall but that's hard to get, not to mention expensive.

I'm checking out this place later today. Thanks!!!!!

#1449474 - 06/03/10 12:32 PM Re: Nice places in NYC to serenade a lovely lady? [Re: BruceD]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: BruceD
At $20.00 per hour, these seem like real bargains for NYC!

Darn right!
Although.....you have to realize, it seems most of the grands are TINY -- I just called the place and the guy said they're 4'11, which wouldn't be real helpful for me and I imagine not for you either. One of the rooms has a 5'7 (and is priced a bit higher), and that's the one I'll be checking out.

#1449480 - 06/03/10 12:46 PM Re: Nice places in NYC to serenade a lovely lady? [Re: Mark_C]
BruceD Offline

I thought that the pianos looked quite small, and I agree that anything less than a 5'6" might really be inadequate for the serious musician doing a final few run-throughs of a recital program. We don't know where the pianos came from, but I hope they weren't specifically purchased for the venue; why spend money on "furniture" cases when a plain black ebony for (around?) the same price might have brought in a larger, better piano.

Then again, some of those studios are quite small and one might not want a larger piano in them.

Regards,

#1449482 - 06/03/10 12:48 PM Re: Nice places in NYC to serenade a lovely lady? [Re: BruceD]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: BruceD
I thought that the pianos looked quite small.....

....and the actual pianos are smaller than what you see.

I actually didn't think they looked small in the photos and so I was surprised when he told me 4'11. When I said so, he explained that the pianos in the rooms mostly aren't what is shown.

#1449485 - 06/03/10 12:51 PM Re: Nice places in NYC to serenade a lovely lady? [Re: Mark_C]
BruceD Offline

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
[...]
I actually didn't think they looked small in the photos and so I was surprised when he told me 4'11. When I said so, he explained that the pianos in the rooms mostly aren't what is shown.

That's a little disconcerting, isn't it? When you click to see the photos of individual studios, the caption is "This is (name of studio room)".

"Truth in advertising"? No, I guess not .... Some might be disappointed. Oh, well.

Regards,

#1449498 - 06/03/10 01:10 PM Re: Nice places in NYC to serenade a lovely lady? [Re: BruceD]
Mark_C Offline

Yes.
That's part of why I said I'm "checking it out."
I chose my words purposefully. smile

#1449509 - 06/03/10 01:39 PM Re: Nice places in NYC to serenade a lovely lady? [Re: Mark_C]
Brooklyn Pianist Offline

Loc: Brooklyn

Thank you!!!! smile
I'm not the one who asked the question but I think I'll be able to use that place, maybe quite a bit. I often look for places to run through recital and competition programs -- usually I use Merkin Hall but that's hard to get, not to mention expensive.

I'm checking out this place later today. Thanks!!!!!

Let us know how the pianos are. I really want it to be a decent option as it's just blocks from my office.
Friedman/Bach - Sheep May Safely Graze
Beethoven - Les Adieux

#1449516 - 06/03/10 01:56 PM Re: Nice places in NYC to serenade a lovely lady? [Re: Brooklyn Pianist]
cardguy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Seems to me you can always wander into a piano shop and tell the salesman you want to browse a bit and would like a little privacy. When I was looking for a piano in the Boston area they never objected to that, though some of them couldn't resist popping back every ten or 15 minutes to see "if I had any questions."

#1449547 - 06/03/10 02:55 PM Re: Nice places in NYC to serenade a lovely lady? [Re: cardguy]
jscomposer Offline
500 Post Club Member

Only problem with showrooms/dealers is, people coming in and noodling around on other pianos in the showroom. And of course, the salesmen "checking up on you." Some dealers apparently have private rooms. I'm looking into that...

Renting space is out. I just feel it'd be classier if I could find people willing to let me use a nice space on a handshake rather than go through a toll booth.

I'll definitely poke around NYU if I can't find anything else. I'm an alumnus, so that should help.

Keep 'em comin' folks! Thanks!

#1449549 - 06/03/10 02:59 PM Re: Nice places in NYC to serenade a lovely lady? [Re: Mark_C]
Samuel1993 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I don't live in NYC but play her a Chopin Nocturne or Mazurka. I won over my Girlfriend as she overheard me playing Chopin's Nocturne Bb minor Op. 9 No. 1. wink
Liszt - Romance in E minor "O pourquoi donc" S.196

#1449575 - 06/03/10 03:32 PM Re: Nice places in NYC to serenade a lovely lady? [Re: jscomposer]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
Originally Posted By: jscomposer

Renting space is out. I just feel it'd be classier if I could find people willing to let me use a nice space on a handshake rather than go through a toll booth.

If I were she, I'd feel better that you were classy enough to RENT a space...and an hour would not be too short!!!

Best wishes!

#1449712 - 06/03/10 06:46 PM Re: Nice places in NYC to serenade a lovely lady? [Re: lilylady]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Originally Posted By: lilylady

If I were she, I'd feel better that you were classy enough to RENT a space...and an hour would not be too short!!!

Best wishes!

I'm not a she, but have to agree. Don't be a cheapskate.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1449722 - 06/03/10 07:01 PM Re: Nice places in NYC to serenade a lovely lady? [Re: stores]
Rui725 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sneaking into a piano room at NYU is the best idea I think. Adds some adventure and perhaps a possible story to tell.

#1449726 - 06/03/10 07:18 PM Re: Nice places in NYC to serenade a lovely lady? [Re: stores]
jscomposer Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ahh, stores. The ladies of pianoworld.com can always count on you having their backs. wink

Anyway, I'mma scope out piano row and NYU tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: Rui725
Sneaking into a piano room at NYU is the best idea I think. Adds some adventure and perhaps a possible story to tell.

Haha, now that's the spirit!

#1449817 - 06/03/10 10:44 PM Re: Nice places in NYC to serenade a lovely lady? [Re: Brooklyn Pianist]
Mark_C Offline

....I'm checking out this place later today....

Let us know how the pianos are. I really want it to be a decent option as it's just blocks from my office.

Too bad this isn't what our OP was looking for; it seems like it might have filled the bill, although with issues.

The place is "okay." It's not the nicest location or building, but it's all right, and this studio is all right too. It seems like they're somehow in transition -- maybe just starting their operation, or maybe renovating. They emphasized to me that the pianos (at least some of them) have just come in and are in the process of being worked on.

I used the largest room ("M. Butterfly"), which also has the largest piano: a 5'7" Bergmann. It's all right -- it was in good tune, I was happy enough with it, and would use it again -- but it needs work. The dampers have something wrong -- a lot of the notes keep sounding when they shouldn't. And the room doesn't look anything like the online pic, which makes it seem like a beautiful Parisian salon. The room is (again) 'okay,' and it's fairly large for a studio room, plus, it has the bonus of a private bathroom. smile (Dunno if any of the others have that.) BTW I'm not familiar with the Bergmann company but this piano seemed more than all right; it's a type of piano that I like -- it seemed similar to a Kawai. Hopefully and presumably the pianos will be put into better shape soon.

There's also a nice Bergmann upright in the room.

P.S. If I went back -- and someone thinking of serenading a partner might especially want to keep this in mind ha -- I would bring a little can of air freshener, because the place in general has the slightly musty odor of a lot of older apartment buildings. Not terrible but noticeable.

#1450083 - 06/04/10 11:27 AM Re: Nice places in NYC to serenade a lovely lady? [Re: Mark_C]
jscomposer Offline
500 Post Club Member

^Haha, thanks for taking one for the team! grin

#1450154 - 06/04/10 01:11 PM Re: Nice places in NYC to serenade a lovely lady? [Re: jscomposer]
Mark_C Offline

^Haha, thanks for taking one for the team! grin

LOL!!!
Truly I don't look at it that way.
I'll be back there.

#1450226 - 06/04/10 03:03 PM Re: Nice places in NYC to serenade a lovely lady? [Re: Mark_C]
Rui725 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Does it have a bed?

#1450262 - 06/04/10 03:58 PM Re: Nice places in NYC to serenade a lovely lady? [Re: Rui725]
Mark_C Offline

No, but I'm sure you could bring one in, if you can get it past the security guy. ha

#1450656 - 06/05/10 07:40 AM Re: Nice places in NYC to serenade a lovely lady? [Re: Mark_C]
jnod Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
I would say Steinway Hall.
Bach English Suite #5
Scarlatti Sonata K141 . L422
Mozart Sonata K333
Schubert Impromptu opus 90 D899
Schubert Moment Musicaux opus 94 D780

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
125 registered (Abby Pianoman, accordeur, AmateurBob, 41 invisible), 1553 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156315 Topics
2295752 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Old Wurlitzer (circa 1940s) baby grand, Worth Picking Up?
by Paul678
07/31/14 07:31 PM
Piano software without sheet music
by OneSixty
07/31/14 06:05 PM
Transcribing Music
by Tigero
07/31/14 05:31 PM
Yamaha P-105 or the Casio PRIVIA px-135?
by Acevle
07/31/14 05:30 PM
Another reason to love the MP11
by Markarian
07/31/14 03:57 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission