2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, 13 invisible), 1,860 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
J
It wasn't criticism... here's some: Add dynamics. I tell all my friends that dynamics are what turn notes into music. wink

Also, there are a few instances that could use grace notes instead of a pile of notes and ties... and always keep playability in mind (like the notes I mentioned before.)

Chopin, Brahms, Schubert, Rachmaninov
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Hayden Brooks
@Nikolas
It's not really a competition, I just said it would be fun. Sure the score lacks items that say what speed to go by, what feeling to have, but in my mind, that makes it all the more fun; you get to choose. I'd pick who ever interprets the piece the best as a winner (Time considered).
hmmm... you got me there I think! laugh

As for the competition part, it's not really a competition, and I'm not trying to get someone to perform it for something, it's just for fun. I don't know, maybe you don't like fun anymore. The 'winner' will just be who I say is the winner. You do not need to listen to the piece at all, if you wish, you could just go by the sheet music, and think of the best feeling to it for yourself.
Well, you got me there too. Because I kinda thought that you were just trying to get people to perform your music for free... and used the worst possible method for this.

As for the fun comment, I have to admit that it's not my kind of fun to be feeling that I'm being taking for an idiot. Maybe I read into this too much, but all this challenge to see you in youtube (signature refernece) and challenge this, challenge that. It feels like a moronic kind of dare bait: "Do you dare to play my music?" NO! Cause I don't think you're asking nicely at all, plus I can't say I enjoyed your music.

I am glad though that there are people listening to the pieces, but why not try to get someone to learn it? I just think it would be cool.
Again, I'm not expecting anybody to play it, but I was hoping that someone would play it, for just the experience of knowing a different song.
Yes, of course, I have this feeling connstantly and this is why I offer sometimes my scores as well! Really simple. It's nice and cool to get your music played, but you have to also consider what the other end is getting. If they are, indeed, getting fun, then by all means. But if you are trying to lure them with silly challenges and all that... :-/

H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by JesseOffy
I tell all my friends that dynamics are what turn notes into music. wink

keep playability in mind (like the notes I mentioned before.)

Yes, I changed the third piece's (Toccata in C minor) super big leap, and took the bottom note up an octave, so that's playable now.
I suppose I could put some dynamics in there... Or... Some more dynamics. smile

I write music! Find me under Noteflight as Axtrubanblaha,or Youtube as Axtrubanblaha. I challenge YOU!
H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by Nikolas

you used the worst possible method for this.

Cause I don't think you're asking nicely at all, plus I can't say I enjoyed your music.

but you have to also consider what the other end is getting. But if you are trying to lure them with silly challenges and all that... :-/

Well, for the first part, I would never try to do that laugh I'm not that stupid.
The second part, I may not be asking in a 'nice' manner depending on the way you read it; since I'm not saying it in person, you can't tell the tone which would be a sort of playful tone.
The silly challenges are just one of those things. Some people may want them i.e. first comment, or some people may not like them i.e. you.
Either way, I mean no insult to this community. I apologize if my message was ill-received.
I would just be so happy if someone played it, but I didn't want to post, "Does anybody want to play this piece?" I figured that would sound real boring, and I'm sure you see my dilemma.

I write music! Find me under Noteflight as Axtrubanblaha,or Youtube as Axtrubanblaha. I challenge YOU!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Batuhan
I dont want to see shitty synthesia stuff on this forum and this piece of musics are completely garbage! waste of time. If you are too stubborn dont accept my criticism and complain me to admins.

1: That wasn't very nice :P
2: they're not only on Synthesia; I posted them on there because I think they sound better
3: I didn't ever not accept your criticism; this is the first thing you posted on this thread o.O
4: I can accept criticism. If you don't like the piece, that's great, not everybody will or has to.
5: Maybe you should work on your English smile
Turkish music is pretty good, and so I can see why you wouldn't like the pieces since Turkish music has a completely different feel.

I hate turkish music english is not my nature language if you understand me and there is no problem between us grammar dont matter.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

between us grammar dont matter.

LOL. Apparently not.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
@Nikolas
I just said it would be fun.

Playing bad music is never fun. The music posted is awful. What is the point of playing bad music like that?

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
What just happened? Has anyone noticed?

The OP is new to PW and should be welcomed.
He wanted us to try some of his music.
He asked politely.
Several responded politely.
Suddenly the tone of a few posters became nasty.
The OP responded politely and graciously accepted criticism.
Posters got nastier.
He stayed polite.

Hayden Brooks sounds like an okay guy who might have something to add to PW. He's new. Why is he being jumped on? I have been under the impression that this is not an elitist forum.

Best regards,

Deborah
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I don't know if this is refering to me but anyways, my take to your comments.
Originally Posted by gooddog

The OP is new to PW and should be welcomed.
Yes, this is true. He wasn't exactly welcomed.

He wanted us to try some of his music.
He asked politely.
Maybe it's a European vs USA thing, but I hardly found his manner polite. He didn't want us to try his music, but wanted to challenge us, reward us with his choice of the best performer/ance and so on.
Several responded politely.
True.
Suddenly the tone of a few posters became nasty.
I don't think I became nasty, but certainly I was not nice. I do think I stayed in the edge of being polite.
The OP responded politely and graciously accepted criticism.
Yes and no. He has stayed completely polite (although I have been accused of not having fun, or knowing what fun is anymore, etc... but anyway). He did stick to his idea of promoting his music in this manner and way.
Posters got nastier.
True frown
He stayed polite.

Hayden Brooks sounds like an okay guy who might have something to add to PW. He's new. Why is he being jumped on? I have been under the impression that this is not an elitist forum.
I do hope this forum stays as it is, perhaps a tiny bit under moderated, but anyway, certainly not an elitist forum. I also hope that it is clear that my 'grip' is not with a guy who I have no idea who he is, so this is not personal, nor about the quality of his music (although I did provide a few points and ideas. Had he backed up his idea of no dynamics or tempo, maybe I would've accepted this, but he didn't). It was about this promotion of challenging YOU (me) and YOU (you) and everyone to listen, to perform, to win (what?). And this has been repeated adlib, even in his signature.

Again, this could be my grip with such an (apparently) aggressive marketing strategy (marketing and aggressive are both used to explain, though things are not as strong...).

stores #1451144 06/05/10 11:57 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores

between us grammar dont matter.

LOL. Apparently not.

That's right! He forgot the apostrophe!! ha

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by JesseOffy
It wasn't criticism... here's some: Add dynamics. I tell all my friends that dynamics are what turn notes into music. wink

Tell that to Bach! laugh

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

Originally Posted by Phlebas
.....The music posted is awful.....

C'mon! smile
It might not be your style (and it's not the kind of thing I'd play or learn), but awful it ain't.

Originally Posted by Nikolas
.....He wasn't exactly welcomed....

Sure he was, by some of us.
He was by me. I gave him a little bit of a hard time (in fun) about how he expected us to play the piece, but I was glad to have him here, and welcomed him, and so did others.

Mark_C #1451154 06/06/10 12:15 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
He wasn't by me, so: Welcome mate! Enjoy your time here. I do hope we haven't scared you away. Stick around, learn, teach, give and take. That's what the internet forums are about... wink

H
OP Offline
H
Thank you Nikolas; I'm sorry if you don't like my marketing ploy, but I think it worked for the most part. In consideration that it may not be 'polite' to challenge someone to play a piece, but I had to think of a way to get people to be interested. I feel as though if I had posted "Could someone please play my songs?" that it would not be appreciated much. The only reason I didn't post it that way is because I don't think it would get any more people to listen to the music (Which is truely my goal), but I'd still get the same amount of people that don't like the music.
I don't care if people don't like my music; not everybody can like something, no matter how good it is. I don't like Chopin, but I don't go on 'everything Chopin' and post "This music is garbage!". I was expecting more people to dislike my music, and so I am quite pleased at the way this worked so far. Thank you Mark C, I don't think you realize how appreciative I am for you defending me! grin
@Kuanpiano Ha ha ha! Nice.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Hayden, I think you should apologize to this forum. You've admitted that this was a marketing ploy, yes - but more disappointing, from the beginning of this thread, your tone has not been respectful, but completely condescending.

Your 'ploy' (as you yourself call it) has been embarrassingly transparent! It's been awkward to read. I never thought I would feel awkward just reading on an internet forum.

The alternative does not have to be "Could someone please play my songs?". Why not just post them and mention that the scores are available and that you'd be excited to support anyone who would like to play the pieces? You might be surprised at the response, who knows.

Finally, I have a challenge for YOU! Step one: go to your bank. Step two: withdraw 1000 dollars. Step three: send it to me.

C'mon it'll be fun! wink

Semi-pro pianist
Tuesdays 5-8 at Vince's West Sacramento, California
H
OP Offline
H
Alright. I'm not coming back after this post.
I didn't mean to be 'awkward'. I'm not apologizing to this forum. I'm sorry if you don't want to do it. I don't care. I'm not giving you 1000 dollars. Think of this from my perspective. Do you really think that this is the first time I've ever done this? No. Maybe you misinterpreted my message. Perhaps you don't understand that I was just trying to be nice and have fun.
I told you already repeatedly that it's not really a contest. I just wanted people to interested in the first place.
I tried being nice, but a lot of you are just being jerks. I don't care any more. I don't feel like this is a great community. None of you are very nice, except for Mark and some others.
Seriously, what's the point of some of those posts? They are only to insult me. Maybe because I'm new? Maybe it's because I'm polite. I don't know. All I know is that I don't like you guys enough to actually accept your 'criticism' (Which is really just a bunch of comments to try and make me feel bad).
It doesn't work to post a song, and say that someone can play it; they never do.
You all are remarkably elitist, and stuck up. (That's the first thing I've said insulting that wasn't joking)
I was going join if you guys would stop being such jerks.
Maybe marketing was the wrong word. All I was trying to do was to get you guys to listen to the song, but screw it. I'm bored of you guys. You don't appreciate my efforts at all. Goodbye.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I can only see very few 'jerk' posts, and a few more perhaps negative. My posts have been negative, but I seriously doubt there was any insluting point, or even rude as a matter of fact.

I will repeat again, that apart from a small paragraph about the lack of dynamics, tempo, etc, which seems that you forgot, rather than you chose to emmit, there was no other critisism about you or your music, but about your approach here. Forgive me (us) if we think we have a right to care about this forum.

Communication goes both ways and it could very well be that you're sending out the wrong messages, instead of us misinterpreting.

My very sincere and kind and nice suggestion (to all I guess): Let's forget about this thread. Hayden has some music and I'm pretty sure that he would like to share it with us (like some many have done in the past, including me). There's no reason for further discussion or anything else (like appologizing for example). I just hope he got the whole idea: Internet if about getting and giving at the same time (and all bundled with a nice presentation if possible...) smile

If you love piano, or music in more general, stick around. There's hardly another place like this, and believe me, the people here are extremely kind and well tempered! (I mean check youtube/myspace comments for example... Atrocious for the most part).

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Question:
Originally Posted by gooddog

Answer:
I'm sorry if you don't like my marketing ploy, but I think it worked for the most part.

Nikolas, you're right of course. Stick around Hayden.

Last edited by Phlebas; 06/06/10 05:01 PM.
....I tried being nice, but a lot of you are just being jerks. I don't care any more. I don't feel like this is a great community. None of you are very nice, except for Mark and some others....

Thanks, but I can't quite accept the compliment. Almost everyone here is 'very nice.' Things just got off on a bad foot on this.

The way you approached us was unusual and seemed presumptuous. Since I was pretty sure you were basically okay (and still am), I thought it was best just to have fun with that and sort of trash-talk you a little about it, but still basically to welcome you here -- and that's still what I think.

I don't know if you've been on other discussion sites. I would guess not -- or at least not very much. In case you don't realize it, the fact is that you can't expect people to do stuff "for" you when you first come. You have to establish yourself -- and even then, people may or may not do it. That's just how it is. People come here mainly to "talk," and to "read," and to "listen." They don't come here to be given assignments. Once you're a known person -- well then, maybe.

I hope you won't just leave. But regardless, I hope you'll be able to understand what really happened here. This site is indeed mostly people who are quite nice, and quite willing to support and be interested in one another.

P.S. Glad to see that Nikolas said sort of the same thing.

Last edited by Mark_C; 06/06/10 05:22 PM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,259
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission