Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1451426 - 06/06/10 03:08 PM Albeniz - Asturias, Leyenda
TheFool Offline

Hi,

Started this one slow for technique (such leaps...), and looking through the written score from IMSLP I see that the big chords on right and left hand are _not_ played simultaneously.

Every recording which I've found / heard - from Alicia De Larrocha to a crazy Vladimir who plays it at 250 crotchets p.m - seems to play the left hand D octave + right hand D major chord as a single

BOOM.

Has this come up before? Is there a transcription where this is the score as written, or are these performers just doing it for the awesomez?

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1451442 - 06/06/10 03:41 PM Re: Albeniz - Asturias, Leyenda [Re: TheFool]
John_B Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bristol, UK
I've just checked the IMSLP Suite Espagnol score and don't understand the problem. In that score the LH and RH chords *are* played simultaneously, though the duration of the LH chord is a quaver (an 8th note) whereas the RH chords are semiquavers (16th notes) for obvious reasons.

I'm embarrassed to confess that I haven't listened to any piano recordings of the piece but what I said above is totally in line with the guitar arrangement and how I used to play it on that instrument.

Edited by John_B (06/06/10 03:42 PM)

#1451447 - 06/06/10 03:54 PM Re: Albeniz - Asturias, Leyenda [Re: John_B]
TheFool Offline

Sorry, I might just be having a fried brain moment. They are 'simultaneous' in that they occur as part of the same beat, yes, but is the right hand not playing a semiquaver rest after the left hand chord, and it as such that it lasts half the duration like you said?

To be perfectly clear, I'm talking about the large chords which begin on the second system of the second page of the IMSLP score for '5. Asturias Leyenda' as a separate piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1jQ3o718ls This is the sort of thing I mean. If her hands are not playing the same thing, it is a _very_ fine distinction, is it not?

#1451449 - 06/06/10 03:58 PM Re: Albeniz - Asturias, Leyenda [Re: John_B]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
I'm with JohnB on this. I also checked the IMSLP edition of the score, and on those "big" chords, the right and left hands are both on the beat. I don't understand the problem.

Regards,

#1451454 - 06/06/10 04:07 PM Re: Albeniz - Asturias, Leyenda [Re: BruceD]
daro Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Actually, you're all correct. The version referred to by the OP is the spurious abomination concocted by the publisher F. Hofmeister in order to 'complete' the unfinished Suite Espagnola, and it contains numerous egregious alterations from the original. The true piece is actually the Preludio from the Cantos de Espagna, also available on IMSLP, and included as well in the complete IMSLP edition of the Suite Espagnola.

#1451456 - 06/06/10 04:14 PM Re: Albeniz - Asturias, Leyenda [Re: John_B]
Mostly Offline

Well on the IMSLP sheet John B mentions, they resound simultaneously but aren't struck at the same time.

I learnt it when I was a kid, and I played the chords like that, left hand first and then right hand ; a few years later (still like 10 years ago), I was looking for a piano and playing this very piece when someone came to me and said, "that's all very nice, but aren't the chords meant to be struck together ?". Back home, I looked for the sheet, and indeed they were written together.

Truth is, the title of this thread is extremly strange ; Asturias ? Leyenda ? I had no clue what you were talking about until you mentioned the jumps, since as I wrote above I had wondered the same. This thread got even weirder when the second poster mentioned the "Suite Espagnole" ; what ?
After a bit of digging around, it appears that this piece is both in the "Suite Espagnole" Op.47 as number 5, and as the Prelude of "Cantos de Espana" Op. 232 (which I learnt). On IMSLP, they are 2 versions of 47-5, one which has the chords together and one which doesn't. I'm a bit too lazy to check if there are differences in the Prelude of 232 and 47-5 though.

Back on topic, I'd say play them together if you have the skill, don't if you can't manage the jumps cleanly - think of it as arpeggiated chords. The most important is that the chord progression be sounded clearly.

EDIT : regarding the tempo, I'm always shocked when I hear renditions of this piece. It's marked "Allegro ma non troppo", not "SOFASTIMUSTBEAVIRTUOSO".

Edited by Mostly (06/06/10 04:17 PM)

#1451458 - 06/06/10 04:16 PM Re: Albeniz - Asturias, Leyenda [Re: daro]
TheFool Offline

May you be kissed by the entity of your choice, Daro.

Thanks for the clarification.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
130 registered (aDino, anamnesis, ajames, Alex1, ando, 41 invisible), 1696 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75583 Members
42 Forums
156279 Topics
2295153 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano oriented film soundtracks/scores.
by aDino
12 minutes 27 seconds ago
Help with dynamics
by noobpianist90
Today at 03:53 AM
Using Kawai MP6 faders/knobs with virtual instruments?
by chicolom
Today at 02:35 AM
Coming up with new compositional methods.
by gsmonks
Today at 01:58 AM
Impromptu in A
by Ritzycat
Today at 12:42 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission