2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, 4 invisible), 1,276 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
.......and here's a couple more, for a full selection..... smile

Chris Kattan getting one:

Kid with a purposely lame line:

R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
impeccable timing on the 2nd video. I'll have to find a sound byte for my phone and play it after a lame pick up line at a social event. That'll leave an impression.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Mark -

grin grin grin thumb

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
jscomposer, stores, carey, osk, and mark c,

You guys have seriously cracked me up! I can't quit laughing!!!

Did anyone read my response to this thread?

"Can someone identify these chords for me?" (Chopin Nocture in Eb)

Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear
Originally Posted by Damon
Originally Posted by carey
Jon England.....a Liberace clone ??

Certainly his inspiration. (If adding a handful of arpeggios to a piece is good, then playing the piece in continuous arpeggio must be even better.) He forgot to turn to the camera and smile, that was the real secret of Liberace. laugh

Damon, you didn't stick around to the end of the piece! Fast forward it...

It is my considered opinion, after much research and scholarly inquiry, including a study of Chopin's original letters in which he responds to appreciation for his performances, as well as a study of the various original drafts of the Nocturne in question in the composer's own hand, that this is the way Chopin would have played it himself.

A very genuine interpretation. Thank you, Jon England!

--Ahem

I think this Beethoven thread is done for now! Except for one more thing...

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Julian, I really appreciate this quote:

Originally Posted by SlatterFan
Julian,

I'm sorry to say, I think you missed my point...

I believe I understand what you and Mattardo have been saying, but I just don't think you have successfully made your point. The gist of what you are saying is (correct me if I'm wrong here), "Why are you reacting so negatively to my changing Beethoven, and playfully saying that I 'improved' his music? Beethoven wasn't such an inflexible guy, you know. To back me up, here are some anecdotes and eyewitness accounts of his working with other musicians and improvising and taking part in fun pianistic 'duels', etc."

What I am saying (and I sincerely hope that I'm speaking for some others here too), is that everything you and Mattardo have been saying about Beethoven is like some apples, and what you're doing to the Pathetique is like an orange. They're different fruit, it's as simple as that. Improvising, playing variations on other composers' themes, taking part in fun pianistic 'duels', liking it when musicians get carried away with "fervor", got it. Adding some notes to a Beethoven sonata as part of a serious interpretation, yikes, that's something else.

Beethoven, in a letter to publisher George Thomson dated Feb 19th, 1813:
"I am not in the habit of rewriting my compositions. I never did it because I am profoundly convinced that every change of detail changes the character of the whole."

(Thomson was Scottish, and he and Beethoven usually wrote to each other in French. I haven't been able to find the original French, but I have every reason to believe that the above is a faithful translation.)

And daro, I really appreciate this quote:

Originally Posted by daro
Originally Posted by stores

"I am not in the habit of rewriting my compositions. I never did it because I am profoundly convinced that every change of detail changes the character of the whole."

Thank you Slatter. I've been thinking of this letter the entire day and couldn't exactly place it. I'm going to have to look through my copies of the letter and try to find it now. At any rate, I don't think a stronger case can be made. Beethoven, himself, sums things up best.

While lesser mortals should rightly quail, at least for a little while, before altering so much as an inkblot on the Master's pages, at least one transcendent 19th-century musical genius had what he felt were cogent reasons for doing so, as Cosima tells us in her diary entry of Saturday, March 1, 1872:

"Of all [Beethoven's] works, Richard considers the 7th and 8th incomparably the boldest and most original; but, he says, if he himself were ever to conduct them again, he would not hesitate to change some things in the orchestration, which Beethoven had written thus only because he could no longer hear it."

May I please have the "last word" until I post my version of the Bagatelle?

Ha-ha!!!

Last edited by Cinnamonbear; 06/14/10 04:54 AM.

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mattardo
Henle is great (my preferred edition) - but the Bulow-Lebert edition is also good for students still learning. It helps to have an experienced pianist give some pointers from time to time. They don't have to be followed, of course, but it can be a very good guide to the possibilities involved in playing music. It always helps to have the urtext editions to help make a decision on certain things.

I agree about the value of having an experienced pianist give pointers. I just prefer to have an urtext or lightly edited text as my main edition, and to refer occasionally to a more heavily edited edition, rather than the other way around. (I also think that's good for aspiring pianists in general, but I'll let the experienced teachers debate that in other threads!)

Brendel wrote an essay on the danger of urtext editions producing dogmatic and unimaginative pianists - a very good point.

Surely a decent teacher will be encouraging imaginative musicianship from early on? A danger of Urtext editions "producing"...?! Surely outcomes also depend on the nature of the urtext edition (for example, the performance commentaries of the PWM/National editions of Chopin contain many stimulating performance ideas and suggestions), the pianist, the teacher(s), the musical environment, and so on. How is the use of more heavily edited editions supposed to "produce" imaginative pianists, or "avoid producing" unimaginative ones? Maybe there is some good, persuasive reasoning to be found in Brendel's complete essay if one reads it all the way through (anticipating that will be in your reply, hehe), but as a simple statement I find it dubious.

Maybe urtext editions have a way of exposing a lack of imagination in pianists that would otherwise be partially concealed when they unimaginatively learn editors' interpretations rather than their own? Now that hypothesis I agree with.

It's hard to condense his essay into a forum post, but the main thrust of it can probably be summed up as:
seek out the urtext editions, the autographs, don't rely on an editor to do your homework - however, learn the rules first, learn how to play before charging straight to your own interpretations of the urtext, autographs, 'originals': that will make the exceptions you bring to the performance that much more satisfying and wonderful and generally acceptable.

I hope I didn't give the impression that Brendel is opposed to Urtext editions - he is not. He was simply reacting against their tendency to produce mindless obedience sometimes (he relates his memories of Nazi Germany and how the word Werktreue smacks of their ideology if followed blindly), and also talks about how his early playing was criticzed because it was not metronomic and predictable, but rather romanticized and a little free. He is actually a big proponent of urtext, etc.

I really can't do justice to the essay Werktreue: An Afterthought - and I hope that clears it up a little! It's available in Alfred Brendel On Music: His Collected Essays. While I don't agree with everything he writes, he is generally, in my opinion, a phenonemal writer.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Thank you Slatter. I've been thinking of this letter the entire day and couldn't exactly place it. I'm going to have to look through my copies of the letter and try to find it now. At any rate, I don't think a stronger case can be made. Beethoven, himself, sums things up best.

Unfortunately, his later letters expressing a desire to revise all his works for a complete publication speak against this letter. Obviously, he changed his mind - which I suppose is quite human and natural. Or did Beethoven concrete his way of thinking in 1813 and never have another original thought after that?

Do you hold people to statements made 20 years ago, when they have obviously grown since that time, and see things differently?

I'm sorry - but this letter only sums up Beethoven's views on the subject in 1813, and that in a letter to one individual.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Julian,

I'm sorry to say, I think you missed my point...

I believe I understand what you and Mattardo have been saying, but I just don't think you have successfully made your point. The gist of what you are saying is (correct me if I'm wrong here), "Why are you reacting so negatively to my changing Beethoven, and playfully saying that I 'improved' his music? Beethoven wasn't such an inflexible guy, you know. To back me up, here are some anecdotes and eyewitness accounts of his working with other musicians and improvising and taking part in fun pianistic 'duels', etc."

What I am saying (and I sincerely hope that I'm speaking for some others here too), is that everything you and Mattardo have been saying about Beethoven is like some apples, and what you're doing to the Pathetique is like an orange. They're different fruit, it's as simple as that. Improvising, playing variations on other composers' themes, taking part in fun pianistic 'duels', liking it when musicians get carried away with "fervor", got it. Adding some notes to a Beethoven sonata as part of a serious interpretation, yikes, that's something else.

(Thomson was Scottish, and he and Beethoven usually wrote to each other in French. I haven't been able to find the original French, but I have every reason to believe that the above is a faithful translation.)

As for my point - it has been entirely: WHY not?
The only reasons given are easily put aside by pointing out the many mistakes Beethoven made in composition (so he's not perfect), his improvisations (he had no problem with altering music to a certain degree), the classical playing style of the time (it was common to alter music, produce variations, play it differently on subsequent performances).

It's the Beethoven Myth again: "Oh, his music was sublimely perfect in every way, a testament to all eternity, ever-un-changing and pure, to be worshipped on the pedestal of the gods".
I think Beethoven was GREAT - he's my favorite composer - really! But I also realize he was not a Greek God, I'm not part of a Beethoven Cult and I do feel he's approachable on more levels than simple awe and reverance. We have a different piano style today - but if you look back on the history of piano playing, you'll find very, very different treatments of composers and their works - not all of them strictly following the letter in every way.

I think they called that the Golden Days of Piano Playing.

So, that's my point, at least. I'm not just building it on "beethoven improved" - it's also built on a piano tradition and historical viewpoint that has been lost to us, apparantly.

But anyways - I'm just clarifying. I should have stuck to it when I said I was done. Everyon can carry on lighting candles to Ludwig now again!

Unfortunately, his later letters expressing a desire to revise all his works for a complete publication speak against this letter. Obviously, he changed his mind - which I suppose is quite human and natural. Or did Beethoven concrete his way of thinking in 1813 and never have another original thought after that?

Do you hold people to statements made 20 years ago, when they have obviously grown since that time, and see things differently?

I'm sorry - but this letter only sums up Beethoven's views on the subject in 1813, and that in a letter to one individual.
If I remember correctly, the letter to the publisher was in response to the publisher's request that Beethoven make changes. If so, it really means that Beethoven didn't like others making changes to his works.

I also think you should give at least one quote from his letters expressing a "desire to revise all his works", so others can decide if it means the same thing to them as it does to you.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 06/14/10 11:58 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

If I remember correctly, the letter to the publisher was in response to the publisher's request that Beethoven make changes. If so, it really means that Beethoven didn't like others making changes to his works.

I also think you should give at least one quote from his letters expressing a "desire to revise all his works", so others can decide if it means the same thing to them as it does to you.

Yes, I will. I think there's a difference here between 'revising' and 'rewriting' - that might be the key: Beethoven wasn't going to just redo one of his works completely (well, except for Fidelio...), but he would revise the works to take into account the expanded keyboard, at least.
Here's the quote I have from my small edition of selected letters:

To C.F.Peters, Vienna, June 5th, 1822 - an excerpt:

"More than all this, I treasure the hope that my complete works may soon be published, for I wish to prepare such an edition in my lifetime. True, I have had several offers to this effect, but there were conditions which I could scarcely overcome and was neither able nor willing to fullfill. I could complete the whole edition in two, or possibly one or one-and-a-half years, given then necessary assistance, could entirely revise all my works and add one new work in every genre of composition, for example [lists some works]..., and for all this together I would demand ten thousand guilders in voncention coin."

He clearly states his intention to publish his complete works after revising ALL of them - "entirely revise". That's different from rewriting them, of course. Not possible to reinterpret this letter away from the obvious meaning, unless we really want to engage in some strenuous apologetics worthy of the church fathers themselves! smile

There's your quote - I typed it out since I don't feel like googling it. This is one of the quotes mentioned by Beethoven biographers.

Last edited by Mattardo; 06/14/10 12:33 PM.
There's your quote - I typed it out since I don't feel like googling it. This is one of the quotes mentioned by Beethoven biographers.
Thanks.

Of course, this quote doesn't mean I think anything else you said in this thread makes sense, unless you think a composer revising his works is the same as someone else doing that. I notice you didn't respond to the first paragraph in my last post, which seems to show that Beethoven didn't want others to revise his works.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 06/14/10 01:48 PM.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J

It's important to realize that the later letter does not completely contradict the earlier one.

From the 1813 letter: "...I am profoundly convinced that every change of detail changes the character of the whole."

That's the crucial part and the rest is there for context. It expresses a fundamental attitude towards the implication of changing details in his works, stated when he was 42 years old and towards the end of his middle period of composition. It is not something one would expect him to change his mind about. So in 1822 Beethoven said he was interested in revising all his works? Fine. His choice, his decision, to change his earlier works. Maybe as you speculate, in the case of his piano works this would partly be about exploiting the new and wider compass beyond 5 octaves. Maybe he felt he had enough experience by that time to see where the works could be improved in other ways too. But whatever the reasons, he would be working as he always did, crafting with great care and thought. (And if he had revised some of his works, his revisions would have the same status of, "For pete's sake, we non-Beethoven people no touchy!")

None of this is remotely the same as one of us thinking we can "do a Beethoven" with his works, when it comes to serious interpretations to play to others. Improvising is something completely different.

I don't see anyone here revering Beethoven as a God incapable of making mistakes, so your sarcastic comments look misguided to me. You keep attributing strange and extreme attitudes in those of us who simply disagree with the idea of us thinking we are in a position to "improve Beethoven". And the composer's viewpoint expressed in 1813 is definitely a cautionary flag supporting our position. (Not that such a cautionary flag "from the horse's mouth" should really be necessary. A basic knowledge of how Beethoven composed should be enough of a flag by itself.)

(Used to post as SlatterFan)
None of this is remotely the same as one of us thinking we can "do a Beethoven" with his works...
Exactly. And, as I said earlier, the quote from Beethoven was, to the best of my knowledge, in repsonse to a publisher who asked him to change some of the music Beethoven had submitted for publication. So I think the quote in question means Beethoven was very mad at the publisher for this request. He did not like the idea of others changing(or requesting a change in)his music.

I don't see anyone here revering Beethoven as a God incapable of making mistakes, so your sarcastic comments look misguided to me. You keep attributing strange and extreme attitudes in those of us who simply disagree with the idea of us thinking we are in a position to "improve Beethoven".
And it was the wording that was used also, i.e., "Beethoven can definitely be improved upon." Frankly, even if someone said "Moszkowski can definitely be improved upon" I would find it arrogant unless that person was an internationally renown pianist or composer.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 06/14/10 06:26 PM.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
We have a different piano style today - but if you look back on the history of piano playing, you'll find very, very different treatments of composers and their works - not all of them strictly following the letter in every way.

I think they called that the Golden Days of Piano Playing.

So, that's my point, at least. I'm not just building it on "beethoven improved" - it's also built on a piano tradition and historical viewpoint that has been lost to us, apparantly.

There was quite a lot of discussion recently on another thread about Pogorelich's "interesting" performance of Liszt's Mephisto Waltz #1. Among many oddities (grotesquely over-accented notes and a sprinkling of strange hesitations) the most striking thing was the extremely slow middle section. I had never seen the sheet music before then, so I checked it out, and I exploded with laughter when I saw Liszt's direction: "Un poco meno mosso (ma poco.)"

Liszt was obviously well aware, back around 1860, of the building trend towards indulgent, schmaltzfestlich, "I did it myyyyyyyyyyyyy waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy (and who gives a stuff about musical balance or taste or appropriateness in the process eh)" performing habits. Those two little words in brackets speak volumes. He's warning performers not to do "golden age" in a crappy way (which a big change of tempo would certainly be, as Pogo shows), while leaving the way open for performers to do "golden age" in a good way. When I hear "golden age" recordings, I hear a very mixed bag. Some stuff is charming and great, other stuff is just awful.

I agree that value can be gained from listening to "golden age" performances and appreciating the initially surprising and individual things that can be good about them, as a window into earlier eras of musicmaking. But still, changing/adding/dropping notes from a Beethoven piano work... that's just something very, very different. As already elaborated upon in detail by some of us in this thread.

Out of curiosity, do you have examples of early recordings where performers changed, added or omitted notes in Beethoven?

(Used to post as SlatterFan)
.....Pogorelich's "interesting" performance of Liszt's Mephisto Waltz #1. Among many oddities (grotesquely over-accented notes and a sprinkling of strange hesitations) the most striking thing was the extremely slow middle section....

......not to mention the very slow opening. smile

Among quite a few other things of course.

It was already off-the-charts bizarre (and frankly, disturbed) before he got to that middle section.

M
M
This thread would have been so much better with some humility in the title. Beethoven Improved ? Regardless of what you say, it sounds pretentious and shameless. And here I was reading Kissin lacked sociability ?

Piano playing is quite like translation ; there is original material you have to translate into actual playing, and you have quite a great deal of freedom in doing so.
As such, there are many schools of translations, the extremes of which are the "littérales", thoses that stick too close to the text, sounding strange and clumsy, and the "belles infidèles", those that go so far in trying to translate the intention of the author that they lose sight of what he left - the original text.

Of course there are also those that rewrite novels' endings because they prefer happy ends. Or those that ignore chapters or passages of a work because they find it boring. Children often skip descriptive passages in books, because the reading time flows slowly in those, often pausing ; some more learned adults even skip them because they're seen as the relics of another time that didn't fully understand story telling. "I mean, if those author lived today, they surely wouldn't have written such boring passages, eh ?", or so they argue.

In any case, even the most extensive researchs can almost never acertain the true intention of an author - merely guessing it is pure futility. Whatever they "really" meant, I think the least we can do is to respect their work as it was written and not tinker with them ( and please, I'm not talking about correcting editorial mistakes here.)
You're free to use them as canvas for your own compositions, that's why there are genres such as the variation ; but I'm not even sure "improving" works is even something the author themselves can do - as their outlook on life will have changed in the meantime, often giving a different meaning to the work. Sure, the work might end up "better crafted", more mature, or whatever, but it might also lose some candeur, naïveté, some youthful energy.

What you did here, from what I saw, isn't meaningful enough to be called a new work. In the end, it's really something many performers would do as they play, because it simply sounds better to their ears. They just won't yell after their recital, "hey guyz, see how I taught that Beethoven ?". I'm don't even think Horowitz advertised the Rachmaninov second sonata he played as the Horowitz-Rachmaninov sonata - and there were some huge changes !

--not meaning to be rude, but as you can guess that title has been irking me for a while and I just had to rant.
The original "Would you do it ?" title was much more interesting, as it really is a choice as a performer, rather than one as a composer, I think.

Last edited by Mostly; 06/14/10 10:17 PM.
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Sorry, Mostly!

It was my impetuous, warped sense of humor coming out. I realize it rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

Perhaps I should have said, "Beethoven Riffed: People Miffed!" grin

But look at the discussion it generated! I sure learned a lot, and am honestly thankful for all of the thought and passion that has been poured into this thread, including yours!

--Andy

Last edited by Cinnamonbear; 06/14/10 10:28 PM.

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mostly
[...] but I'm not even sure "improving" works is even something the author themselves can do - as their outlook on life will have changed in the meantime, often giving a different meaning to the work. Sure, the work might end up "better crafted", more mature, or whatever, but it might also lose some candeur, naïveté, some youthful energy.

What you did here, from what I saw, isn't meaningful enough to be called a new work. In the end, it's really something many performers would do as they play, because it simply sounds better to their ears. They just won't yell after their recital, "hey guyz, see how I taught that Beethoven ?". I'm don't even think Horowitz advertised the Rachmaninov second sonata he played as the Horowitz-Rachmaninov sonata - and there were some huge changes !

And, for the record, I really like these two ideas above, especially! I started this thread after making a point in the "Would You Do It?" thread that prompted Mark C to ask [paraphrase], "Wouldn't it be neat if we had a seminar..."

Well...I was just trying to oblige! grin

Oh, and also for the record, to my ears, in my living room, for several instants, I truly believed that I did "improve Beethoven!" But, I said that earlier...

It's not really arrogance. It's more a response to a sense of adventure in artistic expression, which is where all of this got started... Although, I will grant you, that the title really does sound arrogant! I was hoping for "snappy!"

Last edited by Cinnamonbear; 06/14/10 10:44 PM. Reason: added a thought

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
M
M
Sorry, Mostly!

It was my impetuous, warped sense of humor coming out. I realize it rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

Perhaps I should have said, "Beethoven Riffed: People Miffed!" grin

But look at the discussion it generated! I sure learned a lot, and am honestly thankful for all of the thought and passion that has been poured into this thread, including yours!

--Andy

I wouldn't have liked that title either because that's an horrible play on word !:)

I agree on the content of the thread definitly being interesting. I just wish all those provocative titles and their real life equivalents would go away so we could live peaceful, philosophical lives, the left hand playing the Scriabin nocturne on the piano, a cup of coffee waving in the right hand as we debate from dusk till dawn. Obviously some showy virtuososies (nice pun ! or so I wished ; sosie means look-alike in english) would have trouble talking as they play, because they "emote" the music a little too deeply, though...

Last edited by Mostly; 06/14/10 10:44 PM.
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mostly
I wouldn't have liked that title either because that's an horrible play on word !:)

LOL! thumb

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission