2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, Calavera, 10 invisible), 1,218 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1452972 06/08/10 08:59 PM
K
kfb Offline OP
OP Offline
K
After working on a few upright actions, I did my first grand regulation. Went through the Reblitz book and completed all of the steps. I even made a nice let off rack for the project. I have to say that I really like the Schwander action in the Kimball Grand. I like the repetition lever screw adjustment (makes it very easy to get the spring strength accurate quickly). Second, I like that I can regulate the let off button with the action in-situ. The most surprising thing was that the tone is now very consistent throughout. Regulation has a large affect on the tone.

I was quite surprised how nice the Kimball Grand plays after tuning, regulation and minor voicing. I can put off that Rx-3 purchase for a few more years.

Last edited by kfb; 06/08/10 09:32 PM.

Kurt, Part-time Tuner
1980 Yamaha CP-70B
1981 Kimball 6710
K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by kfb
After working on a few upright actions, I did my first grand regulation. Went through the Reblitz book and completed all of the steps. I even made a nice let off rack for the project. I have to say that I really like the Schwander action in the Kimball Grand. I like the repetition lever screw adjustment (makes it very easy to get the spring strength accurate quickly). Second, I like that I can regulate the let off button with the action in-situ. The most surprising thing was that the tone is now very consistent throughout. Regulation has a large affect on the tone.

I was quite surprised how nice the Kimball Grand plays after tuning, regulation and minor voicing. I can put off that Rx-3 purchase for a few more years.

Yes,
The action is what makes the piano a piano. Other instruments have keys and strings but the action is what Bart Christofori invented. Not that I advocate sloppy tuning, but in more situations than not a far greater improvement in the musicality and enjoyability of the instrument can be achieved through regulation and voicing than through a tunnel-vision focus on perfect tuning.

Perhaps you can tell I'm passionate about these other aspects of piano service. .. grin

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Gratifying, isn't it? The piano is one unit made up of so many different components. It can be broken down in many ways, but it's a circle of refinement from regulation to tuning to voicing, and you keep going round and round until you get it right, almost--then you start all over again.

Congrats on getting that first one out of the way! Don't give up on the RX-3 just yet, though. The better the piano, the greater the rewards.

Promote Harmony in the Universe...Tune your piano!

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAniw3m7L2I
http://dstahlpiano.net
H
Hop Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by kfb

I'm impressed. I looked over those parts of the Reblitz book many times, and don't feel as though my understanding is adequate to the task. Hats off to you!

Hop

HG178, Roland FP-5, Casio PX 130

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission