Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1453009 - 06/08/10 10:23 PM Keyboard Amps
stephenchoi Offline

Hi. I tried the Roland KC350 keyboard amps on a Motif XS at a local music store, and was impressed with the sound. I preferred the playing experience thru the KC350's over listening to my Motif thru my Event 20/20 monitors. The keyboard amps seem to have a "punchier" sound that i enjoyed more than playing thru a refence monitor. So I'll be getting a pair of keyboard amps; but I need some advice from others.

I think I've narrowed my choiced to a pair of 1) Roland KC-350's, 2) Traynor K2's, and 3) Hartke KM200.

Since I'm only able to hear the Roland KC's, I was hoping some of you might be able tell me how the Traynor K2's or Hartke KM200's compare as a stereo keyboard amp solution.

Thanks!

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1453023 - 06/08/10 10:42 PM Re: Keyboard Amps [Re: stephenchoi]
MoodyBluesKeys Offline

Loc: Trent Woods, NC
I've never been much of a fan of the Rolands, don't know about the Hartke's, but the Traynors are first class equipment. I personally use a pair of Electro Voice SxA100+ powered PA with good results. Keyboards are a Nord Electro 3 and Kurzweil PC3.
JBL 10&15 EONG2s, EV SxA100+s QSC K10s, HP & ThinkPad DAWs, eMu 1820M & 1616M.
Epi Les Paul & LP 5str Bass, Trace amp-cabinets.
Formerly in electronic keyboard repair trade - semi-retired

#1453081 - 06/09/10 12:53 AM Re: Keyboard Amps [Re: stephenchoi]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: stephenchoi
Hi. I tried the Roland KC350 keyboard amps on a Motif XS at a local music store, and was impressed with the sound.

What kind of sound are you playing, grand piano or some EPs? I don't think keyboard amps are good for grand piano and classical music What to get kind of depends on the sound you want. Next is "how much sound" A small room or a big outdoor venue?

When you listen let the keyboard play a MDI file and you walk way out in front to as far as people in the last row will be and listen from there.

#1453345 - 06/09/10 12:37 PM Re: Keyboard Amps [Re: ChrisA]
nitekatt2008z Offline
500 Post Club Member

Keyboard amps like Behringer and Roland are fine for organs, Rhodes, synths but for VI's like Ivory or better acoustic piano samples, they will sound thin, tinny and very sterile, "too digital", rather than a warmer sound like an actual acoustic piano. And keyboards always sound optimal running out in stereo.

It is better to go with one of the portable Fender or Yamaha PA systems which actually run about the same price as one of the more powerful keyboard amps. Possibly two JBL EON 10" powered monitors might be also something to look into, but they are expensive. The Bose L1 system is also popular but those go for about $2500

katt

#1453370 - 06/09/10 01:10 PM Re: Keyboard Amps [Re: nitekatt2008z]
snazzyplayer Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Earth
I have some friends who find this Roland unit excellent for smaller gigs...and it weighs less than 30 lbs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afzkkXvRFIg

Snazzy

#1453388 - 06/09/10 01:29 PM Re: Keyboard Amps [Re: snazzyplayer]
nitekatt2008z Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: snazzyplayer
I have some friends who find this Roland unit excellent for smaller gigs...and it weighs less than 30 lbs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afzkkXvRFIg

Snazzy

Yes, basically all the KB amps on the market today are all very good, Roland, Behringer, Traynor, Barbetta, Centaur. It depends on what type of music you are playing, how much power you need to cut through the mix, size of the events or rooms you're playing, weight of the amp. Also, most KB amps have a Line Out to run through a club PA.

When I play live gigs, I use a Centaur 100w with an installed HD Carvin bass 12" speaker for LH bass and a 300w Behringer 12" powered monitor so I can run L/R outs from my keyboards to get stereo image. I could get by with just the Centaur and have done gigs with one amp and it's basically ok, but running in stereo makes a definite difference in sound quality and output.

katt

My Korg M50 88 has a mono piano program designed for one amp if you don't want to have a stereo PA or bring 2 KB amps. Yamaha Stage pianos also have a mono piano for the same thing.

katt

#1453394 - 06/09/10 01:40 PM Re: Keyboard Amps [Re: nitekatt2008z]
snazzyplayer Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Earth
Another amp I've tried myself, is the Traynor K-4 Stereo Keyboard Amp.

It is basically a combo amp, a tad heavy, and is designed for stage pianos, organs, and synthesizers.

Exceptional stereo sound, no shortage of power, lots of connectivity, and built like the proverbial shrick bithouse. wink

I've also used Yamaha Stagepas 500/300 which both do an excellent job with pianos.

Again, as the previous poster suggests, it will depend on type of music, venue size, and probably budget as well.

Snazzy

#1453434 - 06/09/10 02:36 PM Re: Keyboard Amps [Re: snazzyplayer]
nitekatt2008z Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: snazzyplayer
Another amp I've tried myself, is the Traynor K-4 Stereo Keyboard Amp.

It is basically a combo amp, a tad heavy, and is designed for stage pianos, organs, and synthesizers.

Exceptional stereo sound, no shortage of power, lots of connectivity, and built like the proverbial shrick bithouse. wink

I've also used Yamaha Stagepas 500/300 which both do an excellent job with pianos.

Again, as the previous poster suggests, it will depend on type of music, venue size, and probably budget as well.

Snazzy

Snazzy, I have heard a lot of positive reviews on the Yamaha StagePass series. They are portable enough to move around and do a fine job getting an optimal stereo sound out of digital pianos, VI software, organs, etc. I've also hear that there are some portable Fender PAs that do a fine job as well.

I would like to try one out. Perhaps our local GC has one hooked up to a keyboard that I could demo. I'm still looking for a small stereo speaker system for live gets that puts out a great sound.

katt

#1453499 - 06/09/10 04:33 PM Re: Keyboard Amps [Re: nitekatt2008z]
stephenchoi Offline

I appreciate all the comments! Based on what I read in various discussions (most folks advising a P/A setup over the KC range), I went to my local store and tested the QSC K Series. I was very impressed, and noticed superior clarity up and down the keyboard range, and no undesirable coloration on the acoustic piano sounds. I've purchased a pair of QSC K10's!

#1453500 - 06/09/10 04:34 PM Re: Keyboard Amps [Re: stephenchoi]
stephenchoi Offline

Follow up question. I'd like to pair my new QSC K10's with a subwoofer. However, the QSC Sub is expensive and big - perhaps overkill for me. What do you guys think about pairing a studio reference subwoofer with the QSC K10s? Will, say an ADAM SUB7 or SUB8 work just fine? If so, any other good subs you might recommend?

(Dont worry, I wont be gigging with the sub.)

Again, much appreciated!

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
88 registered (A Guy, AndrewAJC, AmateurBob, 27 invisible), 1197 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75369 Members
42 Forums
155822 Topics
2288109 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Theoretical tuning sequence
by DoelKees
Today at 01:01 AM
It's will never emit sounds again
by Maximillyan
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
yamaha finish
by johnfin
Yesterday at 10:21 PM
Advice on best way to structure my practicing...
by MZCT
Yesterday at 09:03 PM
How important are the wheels for you?
by doremi
Yesterday at 06:46 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission