Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1456242 - 06/14/10 05:07 AM Re: Pedal and Bach [Re: Pogorelich.]
sandalholme Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Dorset, UK
Re confusing shape with expression. Expression pretty well covers everything we do to bring the music alive. Phrasing, articulation (including accents) and rhythm provide shape. Perhaps you would like to elaborate on how dynamics shape music whilst phrasing and articulation do not.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1456291 - 06/14/10 09:04 AM Re: Pedal and Bach [Re: sandalholme]
Mattardo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Real Samples Edition Beurmann has sampled a Lute-Harpsichord built to what they think the Bach instrument was:
http://www.realsamples.de/Edition_Beurma...nwerck_SF09.mp3

http://www.realsamples.de/Edition_Beurma...astian_Bach.mp3

http://www.realsamples.de/Edition_Beurma...astian_Bach.mp3

It has some examples of how it sounds when played, if anyone is interested. Very nice sound, though - I can see why Bach would have liked it. The sample is beyond my financial reach, at the moment!

Edited by Mattardo (06/14/10 09:05 AM)

#1456307 - 06/14/10 09:49 AM Re: Pedal and Bach [Re: Mattardo]
moscheles001 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Northeast Pennsylvania
Robert Hill recorded two multi-CD sets called "Bach as Teacher: Keyboard works from the Cothen period." Many of the pieces are played on a lute-harpsichord. It's Hänssler Complete Edition Bachakademie, Volume 107, a budget label.

I bought mine very cheaply from http://www.berkshirerecordoutlet.com/

#1456313 - 06/14/10 09:59 AM Re: Pedal and Bach [Re: moscheles001]
Brandon_W_T Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Thanks so much for those links Matardo, Fantastic! I love the sound of the lute harpsichord... quite possibly more than a harpsichord itself! Even one equipped with a Lute stop!

--NEW!--- 1964ish Conn 640 vacuum tube theatre organ! (with leslie!) smile

Grandmas- New Hyundai petite baby grand

Church (the organ I practice on)-
1998 Bedient (Built about 45 minutes from me!) 2m/pedal 24 rank Cavaille-Coll style pipe organ

#1456339 - 06/14/10 11:01 AM Re: Pedal and Bach [Re: sandalholme]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
Originally Posted By: sandalholme
Re confusing shape with expression. Expression pretty well covers everything we do to bring the music alive. Phrasing, articulation (including accents) and rhythm provide shape. Perhaps you would like to elaborate on how dynamics shape music whilst phrasing and articulation do not.

What does shape mean to you? I ONLY meant shape as in, notes can sound louder and softer than others. Do you really deny that? The only point I was making is that the harpsichord can't do cantabile. I don't see why this is so hard to comprehend. I didn't say it isn't expressive. (although it's probably the least expressive instrument there is, just because of that one limitation)

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#1456342 - 06/14/10 11:02 AM Re: Pedal and Bach [Re: Brandon_W_T]
Mattardo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yes, the Lute stop has a lovely sound in itself - but a little lacking for an entire piece - the dedicated harpischord sounds like it was constructed to sound a lot better and be generally more useful.

There's some strange-looking ones out there!

#1456343 - 06/14/10 11:04 AM Re: Pedal and Bach [Re: Pogorelich.]
Mattardo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: AngelinaPogorelich
Originally Posted By: sandalholme

What does shape mean to you? I ONLY meant shape as in, notes can sound louder and softer than others. Do you really deny that? The only point I was making is that the harpsichord can't do cantabile. I don't see why this is so hard to comprehend. I didn't say it isn't expressive. (although it's probably the least expressive instrument there is, just because of that one limitation)

Have you spent time playing any harpsichords? They can be very expressive - just listen to any good recording or harpsichordist. There are ways to vary dynamics on a harpsichord - not as obviously as a piano can, but it can be done.

Does cantabile necesarrily entail marked dynamic contrast?

#1456353 - 06/14/10 11:16 AM Re: Pedal and Bach [Re: Mattardo]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

M: I don't like repeating myself..... but here: I din't say it isn't expressive. (although it's probably the least expressive instrument there is). Least expressive doesn't mean non expressive. Of course I've played harpsichords. There ARE ways to vary dynamics - on a different set of keyboard of the harpsichord. Why do I feel like I'm saying things over and over ..

Cantabile means, when applied to keyboard playing, to imitate the human voice. It doesn't just have to do with dynamics - come on, how do you usually hear a cello being played? Or piano even? How do you shape a simple phrase? (and no I don't mean accents or any of that)

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#1456355 - 06/14/10 11:23 AM Re: Pedal and Bach [Re: Pogorelich.]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Cantabile means, when applied to keyboard playing, to imitate the human voice.

Doesn't it mean to play in a singing, legato fashion? A human voice can sing staccato and in a non-cantabile way if the music calls for it. So it cannot be refering to the instrument, but the way the instrument is typically used in most vocal music.

#1456361 - 06/14/10 11:27 AM Re: Pedal and Bach [Re: keystring]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: keystring
Quote:
Cantabile means, when applied to keyboard playing, to imitate the human voice.

Doesn't it mean to play in a singing, legato fashion? A human voice can sing staccato and in a non-cantabile way if the music calls for it. So it cannot be refering to the instrument, but the way the instrument is typically used in most vocal music.

Yes, hence the imitating the human voice part. Since the voice is considered the most expressive instrument.. isn't it? I don't know why this is so difficult to get across. Maybe it's my limited english skills.

#1456378 - 06/14/10 11:54 AM Re: Pedal and Bach [Re: Pogorelich.]
sandalholme Offline
500 Post Club Member

I agree Mattardo that it is possible to alter the dynamics on the harpsichord, but I hadn't mentioned it as a) it's very subtle and b) would not be believed by the harpsichord phobics in this forum.

Angelina: if you define shaping as playing loudly or softly, fine. I define shaping rather differently. Cantabile? How do you define that? A harpsichord's single note "sings". Smooth, singing legato? Well, overlapping the notes slightly provides a legato sound, which is also, because of the open strings, resonant. Expressiveness? If you define that as playing loudly or softly, again, fine. I believe expressiveness is obtained by many more skills than just playing loudly or softly (and all the intermediate weights).

We might just agree to disagree. I will continue to enjoy Bach on the harpsichord and on the piano - the expressiveness coming from, to a degree, different skills and techniques.

#1456385 - 06/14/10 12:02 PM Re: Pedal and Bach [Re: sandalholme]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Okay. I don't think there's a point in arguing with you since I'm obviously failing to make my point.

It seems to me you're all for flat singing (monotone) with no basic shape. And I'm not talking about loud and soft, because there are so many shades of one dynamic. Which haprichord can't do. Don't take it so hard I'm just stating the obvious. It's not something that's supposed to be controversial! When someone tells me to shape something more, it means to give it more direction.

Edited by AngelinaPogorelich (06/14/10 12:04 PM)

#1456394 - 06/14/10 12:12 PM Re: Pedal and Bach [Re: Pogorelich.]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Maybe if I add, the ability to sing a single line cantabile, is much easier and much more expressive on, say, string instruments, voice or even piano.

#1456406 - 06/14/10 12:37 PM Re: Pedal and Bach [Re: Pogorelich.]
sandalholme Offline
500 Post Club Member

We really have a different definition of "shape"! If someone asks me to shape the music more, I would look to my phrasing, articulation, accents/rhythm first.
My wife's 'cello teacher (a fiery Hungarian) would splutter at the piano being equated with a stringed instrument. He's very dismissive of the piano. A stringed instrument can hold a single line for ever, literally, until the player gets too tired, with all the dynamic changes you could wish for on the way. As a percussive instrument, we pianists really struggle to get anywhere near a stringed instrument in producing a cantabile line. (As do harpsichordists, of course)
As a matter of interest, do you regard organs - except 19C ones - as unexpressive? Baroque organs certainly have more stops than a harpsichord, but are still basically limited to terraced dynamics. Does Peter Hurford's Bach playing lack expressiveness for you? A genuine question, as you seem to place a very high values on subtle changes to dynamics for expressing your feeling for the music.

#1456407 - 06/14/10 12:41 PM Re: Pedal and Bach [Re: sandalholme]
Brandon_W_T Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Just because the music says Cantabile, doesn't mean its possible to play it exactly like a human voice. No instrument can. But its the idea to play it like that, of which the music is trying to tell you.

Often times instead of saying cantabile, it says singing like. Same idea. of course your instrument cant physically sing human notes, but its the idea of shaping and developing the sound.

1998 Bedient (Built about 45 minutes from me!) 2m/pedal 24 rank Cavaille-Coll style pipe organ

#1456413 - 06/14/10 12:44 PM Re: Pedal and Bach [Re: Brandon_W_T]
Mattardo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

If I had a way to upload Rameau's Rondea Musette - it might change some minds.
I just have to find the right one I have in mind..

Edited by Mattardo (06/14/10 12:45 PM)

#1456415 - 06/14/10 12:46 PM Re: Pedal and Bach [Re: Brandon_W_T]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Well I don't particularly find the piano that expressive to be honest. Solely because the notes die after you press them. But it's a hell of a lot easier to shape. And yes we do have a different sense of shape. It's just how my teachers have talked to me all my life.

No I don't really like hurford. He's a great player but I struggle with liking organ.

I suppose you wouldn't think much of fischer's Bach?

#1456418 - 06/14/10 12:47 PM Re: Pedal and Bach [Re: Pogorelich.]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Ps listen to fischer's b flat minor WTC I.

#1456420 - 06/14/10 12:49 PM Re: Pedal and Bach [Re: Pogorelich.]
Mattardo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Here - I don't know about anyone else, but I find this piece has some cantabile playing:
http://www.box.net/shared/fl90y3giyv

It's Catherine Latzarus playing.

#1456423 - 06/14/10 12:51 PM Re: Pedal and Bach [Re: Pogorelich.]
Mattardo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

M: I don't like repeating myself..... but here: I din't say it isn't expressive. (although it's probably the least expressive instrument there is). Least expressive doesn't mean non expressive. Of course I've played harpsichords. There ARE ways to vary dynamics - on a different set of keyboard of the harpsichord. Why do I feel like I'm saying things over and over ..

Cantabile means, when applied to keyboard playing, to imitate the human voice. It doesn't just have to do with dynamics - come on, how do you usually hear a cello being played? Or piano even? How do you shape a simple phrase? (and no I don't mean accents or any of that)

Repeating one's self on this forum is quite common, ya' know! Don't ya' know you have to scream everything 20 times to be heard? smile

#1456428 - 06/14/10 12:57 PM Re: Pedal and Bach [Re: Mattardo]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I liked it and it was expressive but cantabile?

Don't get me wrong I've heard some terrific stuff I especially loved listening to a bunch of preludes, can't remember by who, and they were so free with so much well placed rubato.

#1456469 - 06/14/10 02:07 PM Re: Pedal and Bach [Re: Pogorelich.]
Mattardo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I think it was very cantabile, in it's own way - it wasn't very over-the-top, opera-diva-in-your-face cantabile, but it's definately much more cantabile than many harpsichord works.

I guess I see cantabile as encompassing all sorts of vocal-imitations. Singers do not always sing with just dynamics in mind, there's much more to cantabile than just that obvious factor. A good harpsichordist can sing with the best of them, I think.

Bach's last French Suite, the Sarabande - would you say that sings on a harpsichord?

#1456489 - 06/14/10 02:33 PM Re: Pedal and Bach [Re: Mattardo]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Isn't it problematic for cantabile if it's not possible to do even a small crescendo or phrase a single line?

I guess we define cantabile by different means.

#1456547 - 06/14/10 03:58 PM Re: Pedal and Bach [Re: Pogorelich.]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Ps listen to fischer's b flat minor WTC I.

I love Fischer's Bach. Love, love, love it.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1456554 - 06/14/10 04:09 PM Re: Pedal and Bach [Re: Kreisler]
Brandon_W_T Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I found that recording above to be very much cantabile.

Remember any instrument can play cantabile.

I dont think there is a concrete definition for cantabile, so its how one perceives it should be.

#1456557 - 06/14/10 04:15 PM Re: Pedal and Bach [Re: Brandon_W_T]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Here are some pianists who play(ed) a lot of Bach:
Feinberg, Fischer, Richter, Gould, Schiff, Perahia, Hewitt.

1=uses pedal very sparingly
3=uses "a lot" of pedal
2=neither 1 nor 3

How would you rate these pianists in terms of their use of pedal?

#1456583 - 06/14/10 05:12 PM Re: Pedal and Bach [Re: Pogorelich.]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
I suppose you wouldn't think much of fischer's Bach?

Fischer is great! Matches my view of cantabile.

#1456598 - 06/14/10 05:35 PM Re: Pedal and Bach [Re: John_B]
hophmi Offline

ROTFLMAO.

I think you can say copulating without getting censored.

Edited by hophmi (06/14/10 05:36 PM)

#1456608 - 06/14/10 05:43 PM Re: Pedal and Bach [Re: hophmi]
hophmi Offline

My feeling on pedaling in Bach is that it's OK, even desirable, but should be kept to a minimum.

Bach on piano is always a transcription of sorts, so notions of purity are a little misplaced.

As far as the harpsichord versus piano debate: every time I think about playing the harpsichord, I'm reminded of the Seinfeld joke about the Chinese and their use of chopsticks. You know they've seen the fork. And yet they stick to chopsticks.

#1456666 - 06/14/10 06:42 PM Re: Pedal and Bach [Re: Brandon_W_T]
Happy Birthday stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Originally Posted By: Brandon_W_T
I found that recording above to be very much cantabile.

Remember any instrument can play cantabile.

I dont think there is a concrete definition for cantabile, so its how one perceives it should be.

No instrument plays cantabile, the player does. Cantabile, literally means "singable", or "songlike". It does have various meanings, however, in different contexts. In reference to instrumental music, which is what we're dealing with, it means to imitate the human voice. Of course, this is very difficult, and, as with a true legato, is really an illusion created by the player. The piano is a very difficult instrument in this regard...in large part due to decay. The harpsichord makes things even more difficult. Not only because of it's even more immediate decay, but, because it's impossible to imitate the rise and fall of the voice and there's no way to taper the end of a phrase (there are "tricks" with articulation within a phrase that one can employ to create the illusion, however). Neither the piano, nor the harpsichord are "expressive" instruments. It's the player, armed with sufficient knowledge (knowledge of the functions of sound and the capabilities of the instrument itself), who is expressive (or not).

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
111 registered (anotherscott, Alan F, 34 invisible), 1425 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157253 Topics
2309700 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway or Porsche?
by Jennymomofboys
09/02/14 10:16 PM
Shostakovich Prelude 4 (E minor)
by johnlewisgrant
09/02/14 09:24 PM
Help!
by MandyD
09/02/14 09:09 PM
kitchen studio for summer just gone
by toddy
09/02/14 08:41 PM
Aebersold Play-Alongs
by EP
09/02/14 06:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission