Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1454674 - 06/11/10 02:04 PM Wikipedia?
vladimiroir Offline

Hello this may not be the place but i always wonder who wrote the biographies of chopin,liszt , horowitz, polini etc? and i noticed that some is shorter than other especially rafal blechavz.. do they wrote it themselves? how about the information of pieces? when i browsed through the list of compositions by chopin some of them have information about it, some dont( less popular pieces).. it would be great to see all of them with information... again who wrote all of those information? sorry if this is a silly question

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1454679 - 06/11/10 02:15 PM Re: Wikipedia? [Re: vladimiroir]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Not a silly question, I don't think. I do believe that one has to take with "a grain of salt" information that one reads on Wikipedia. Not all who contribute or who edit articles are necessarily experts in the field.

Read this article for more information :

Wikipedia Editors

Regards,
Writing from Paris until 15 May, 2014

#1454680 - 06/11/10 02:16 PM Re: Wikipedia? [Re: BruceD]
vladimiroir Offline

Thank You BruceD:)))

#1454681 - 06/11/10 02:16 PM Re: Wikipedia? [Re: vladimiroir]
Mark_C Online   content

Loc: New York
Whoever wants to.
Those pages are by "the public."
Sometimes it might be by the person him/herself or at least some of it.

If you think something doesn't have enough, you can add to it.
If you think something in there is wrong, you can delete it.

Of course someone else can come along and put back what you deleted, but that's how life is sometimes. smile

#1454687 - 06/11/10 02:36 PM Re: Wikipedia? [Re: BruceD]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BruceD
Not a silly question, I don't think. I do believe that one has to take with "a grain of salt" information that one reads on Wikipedia. Not all who contribute or who edit articles are necessarily experts in the field.

Read this article for more information :

Wikipedia Editors

Regards,

Particularly in articles about people and pop culture. However, the science/math/engineering articles are actually quite reliable because they are regularly canvassed by professionals in the respective fields.

#1454692 - 06/11/10 02:42 PM Re: Wikipedia? [Re: Mark_C]
Chopinist Offline

From what I've seen, I believe that many (if not most) of the contributors do have expert knowledge in their fields of interest. The unfortunate implication that "anyone can edit" at Wikipedia is that it's a free-for-all strewn with vandalism or willful inaccuracies. It's not.

People with an obsessive concern for certain subjects are committed to (and vigilant about) integrity and accuracy of content. (Every article has a "discussion page"; just check out the back-and-forth that transpires even for wildly abstruse or mildly controversial topics.) Standards of form and style are closely adhered to; the lifespan of nonsense (or even unsourced, unsupported or self-serving statements) can be expected to be very brief.

While I've never made a substantive contribution to Wikipedia, I've done plenty of editing and proofreading there. I don't think claims about the illegitimacy of information on the site reflect the experiences of people who actually use Wikipedia and have built it into the resource that it is.

Of course, one shouldn't be surprised if an article about, say, Britney Spears reflects different standard of scholarship and writing ability to the one about Chopin. smile

#1454694 - 06/11/10 02:48 PM Re: Wikipedia? [Re: Chopinist]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Because authorship is questionable and editing fairly open on Wikipedia, high school students, (in every school in which I have taught) are not permitted to use it as a resource in research papers. It's a great way to look something up quickly, but is not considered reliable enough to cite in a formal paper.

Deborah

#1454695 - 06/11/10 02:49 PM Re: Wikipedia? [Re: gooddog]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: gooddog
Because authorship and is questionable on Wikipedia, high school students, (in every school in which I have taught) are not permitted to use it as a resource in research papers. It's a great way to look something up quickly, but is not considered reliable enough.

True, but most well written articles cite outside sources which can be useful during preliminary research.

#1454700 - 06/11/10 02:53 PM Re: Wikipedia? [Re: gooddog]
Chopinist Offline

Because authorship and is questionable on Wikipedia, high school students, (in every school in which I have taught) are not permitted to use it as a resource in research papers. It's a great way to look something up quickly, but is not considered reliable enough to cite in a formal paper.

I think most students would be savvy enough to cite the references found within Wikipedia rather than Wikipedia itself, in which case it's unlikely a teacher would even know.

#1454714 - 06/11/10 03:26 PM Re: Wikipedia? [Re: Chopinist]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Originally Posted By: Chopinist
Because authorship and is questionable on Wikipedia, high school students, (in every school in which I have taught) are not permitted to use it as a resource in research papers. It's a great way to look something up quickly, but is not considered reliable enough to cite in a formal paper.

I think most students would be savvy enough to cite the references found within Wikipedia rather than Wikipedia itself, in which case it's unlikely a teacher would even know.

Chopinist, you'd be amazed. Every semester I have college undergraduates, who really ought to know better, cite Wikipedia and are vastly disappointed when I inform them that they have to find peer-reviewed journal articles for their sources. Worse yet, I usually get about a student a year who merely copies and pastes huge chunks of text from Wikipedia and then is vastly disappointed when I catch the plagiarism. help

#1454719 - 06/11/10 03:37 PM Re: Wikipedia? [Re: Monica K.]
BDB Online   content

Loc: Oakland
Of course, Wikipedia is peer-reviewed. It just depends on who the peers are, just as with any other source.

#1454722 - 06/11/10 03:43 PM Re: Wikipedia? [Re: Monica K.]
jesseoffy Offline

Yeah - my dad (a teacher) asked me one day if he could check a student's work. Together we went on Wikipedia's page about some Oil thing and there was the guy's entire essay... Best of all, my dad doesn't teach anything nearly related to what the kid wrote about. smile

#1454739 - 06/11/10 04:31 PM Re: Wikipedia? [Re: jesseoffy]
Hank Drake Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Wikipedia is essentially a collaborative endeavor. In most cases, the best pages have the broadest history of editing.

I've edited quite a bit at Wikipedia, making major revisions to the Vladimir Horowitz and Arthur Rubinstein bio and discography articles, and basically rewriting the Nyiregyhazi article - along with many on non-musical subjects.

Generally speaking, the more well known the subject, the greater the incidence of vandalism. This has been a particlar problem with the Christopher Reeve page, more than five years after his death.

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell

#1454762 - 06/11/10 05:25 PM Re: Wikipedia? [Re: Monica K.]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Originally Posted By: Monica K.

Chopinist, you'd be amazed. Every semester I have college undergraduates, who really ought to know better, cite Wikipedia and are vastly disappointed when I inform them that they have to find peer-reviewed journal articles for their sources. Worse yet, I usually get about a student a year who merely copies and pastes huge chunks of text from Wikipedia and then is vastly disappointed when I catch the plagiarism. help
So true. An experienced teacher can easily pick out writing styles, vocabulary and grammar that do not match their students' abilities. I catch 'em every time.

Deborah

#1454768 - 06/11/10 05:40 PM Re: Wikipedia? [Re: Monica K.]
Nikolas Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: Monica K.

You see...

if it's a quote, it's a quote. I have used a quote before, coming from wikipedia, itself coming from elsewhere and so on... I can't really be blamed, since I used wikipedia as a kind of database and nothing more.

Wiki is useful for fast searching, but indeed the amount of *ahem* in there is quite alarming sometimes!

As an academic, the one thing that bothers me with wikipedia is the easiness of reach. It's just one google away from "search term + wiki" and you're there. Too easy. Too basic. Too informal. and too wrong sometimes! If you are writing an academic essay of any level, better be prepared to visit the unis library a few times and I'm ready to bet that the same info will be found in there, only quoted correctly, explained better, etc...

#1454782 - 06/11/10 06:41 PM Re: Wikipedia? [Re: Hank Drake]
Mark_C Online   content

Originally Posted By: Hank Drake
.....I've edited quite a bit at Wikipedia, making major revisions to the Vladimir Horowitz and Arthur Rubinstein bio and discography articles, and basically rewriting the Nyiregyhazi article.....

By coincidence (although I suppose not total) smile when I saw this thread, it jogged my mind to take a look at the Horowitz page to see what it might be. I was surprised I hadn't thought to do it before.

I was impressed. I'm not surprised to learn that people like you helped make it what it is.

#1454785 - 06/11/10 06:48 PM Re: Wikipedia? [Re: vladimiroir]
FunkyLlama Offline

Originally Posted By: vladimiroir
it would be great to see all of them with information...
'And another thing, why don't they just print more money?' and yes, it's a silly question. You could've found the answer very rapidly yourself without wasting our time.

#1454787 - 06/11/10 06:55 PM Re: Wikipedia? [Re: Mark_C]
packa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
Wikipedia is not a bad place to start your search for information; but it's a bad place to stop looking further. The articles are all over the map: good, bad, outstanding, and the bottom of the barrel. Unfortunately, the articles aren't tagged with a quality score, so you never quite know what you're getting. The other major problem is the footnotes and bibliographic links. Many are cryptic, outdated, dead links, or links to other web pages of unknown provenance and currency.
Estonia L168 #1718

#1454879 - 06/11/10 10:51 PM Re: Wikipedia? [Re: Mark_C]
al-mahed Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Rio de Janeiro
Originally Posted By: Mark_C

Of course someone else can come along and put back what you deleted, but that's how life is sometimes. smile

Hahaha, free shrink session! laugh

Working on: music

#1454925 - 06/12/10 01:03 AM Re: Wikipedia? [Re: al-mahed]
Mark_C Online   content

dam rite! smile

Martin Mull (who else remembers him??) said that his shrink used to end every session with, "Well ain't that the way it is."

I've never used the line professionally, but personally it comes in handy all the time. smile

#1455036 - 06/12/10 10:00 AM Re: Wikipedia? [Re: Mark_C]
Damon Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
dam rite! smile

Martin Mull (who else remembers him??) said that his shrink used to end every session with, "Well ain't that the way it is."

Fernwood Tonight? Who doesn't?

#1455079 - 06/12/10 11:38 AM Re: Wikipedia? [Re: Mark_C]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1455084 - 06/12/10 11:50 AM Re: Wikipedia? [Re: Kreisler]
Mark_C Online   content

Yup -- that's just the way it is. smile

(Thanks for the song, never really heard it.)

#1455085 - 06/12/10 11:52 AM Re: Wikipedia? [Re: Damon]
Mark_C Online   content

Originally Posted By: Damon
.....Fernwood Tonight? Who doesn't?

.....and I never really saw that show.....I knew him from other stuff.

I was surprised he never got a much bigger show, like "Tonight" after Johnny Carson (where he had guest-hosted a lot) or at least one of the 12:30 network shows. I expected it.

I guess they considered him "too quirky." But then what about Letterman.......

#1455196 - 06/12/10 03:13 PM Re: Wikipedia? [Re: Mark_C]
Damon Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: Damon
.....Fernwood Tonight? Who doesn't?

.....and I never really saw that show.....I knew him from other stuff.

I was surprised he never got a much bigger show, like "Tonight" after Johnny Carson (where he had guest-hosted a lot) or at least one of the 12:30 network shows. I expected it.

I guess they considered him "too quirky." But then what about Letterman.......

He might have not wanted a straight talk show. He was in several sitcoms (Roseanne being one of the longest running). I just remember him mainly from Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman, Fernwood tonight, and America tonight.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
68 registered (Atrys, Akshay, bennevis, 20 invisible), 1080 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153598 Topics
2251174 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Easter Themed Recordings - Kawai CA95
by wolferblade
04/20/14 04:55 AM
First recordings - Some music for Easter
by wolferblade
04/20/14 01:01 AM
Recorded a song on my workstation tonight
by Arizona Sage
04/20/14 12:04 AM
How to tune a piano.....
by Grandpianoman
04/19/14 11:46 PM
Need help with upgrading(?) Roland digital
by Pathbreaker
04/19/14 10:23 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission