2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 6 invisible), 1,935 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
BigIron Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hello all. I am 33 and my name is Michael and I have been trying to learn to play the piano on and off since about September. I am in the US. I tried lessons when I was 12ish and after a year and two teachers all I could was play the "C" scale. That was my homework every night. I am trying hard to pick this stuff up, but find it difficult finding a way of learning that keeps my interest. I look forward to learning and playing for self enjoyment.

I have tried Piano For All. I couldn't understand the practice songs. So I tried Alfred's, I was bored to tears with those songs. I have learned more just picking up sheet music and trying to play stuff. Does anyone have any suggestions? I do ok with Chords and scales, and given time, I can play "intermediate" songs.

Thanks in advance.

“The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.” Edward Phelps

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the forum, BigIron. smile

I think it's critical to be trying to learn material that you find interesting and want to play. If all I was assigned for a whole year was the C major scale, I'd be chopping my piano into firewood!

This holds true for learning the piano as an adult. My advice would be to try to find a teacher who specializes in teaching adults and who will be willing to work with you on the kind of music you want to learn. You say that you do better picking up sheet music than working with a formal method series. That's okay, but you're probably going to learn better if you have a teacher helping you with technique on those things. The advantage of the method series is that it introduces you to new concepts in a logical order. It may be a little more frustrating to work solely from sheet music without the help of a teacher who can show you how to do certain things.

Good luck!

B
BigIron Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thank you, Monica. I am in process of finding a teacher, it is hard to find a good person in my area, but I will not give up. I watched your youtube channel. Good work.

L
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Welcome!

Do you have a particular interest?

Classical? Jazz? Rock/pop/modern music? Do you want to play as part of a band or do you want to focus on solo work?

Giving us some idea of where you want to go will help us throw out more specific advice. Until then, take Monica's word and search search search!

Good luck! We're always here to help smile

II. As in, second best.
Only lowercase. So not even that.
I teach piano and violin.
BM, Violin & Percussion Performance 2009, Piano Pedagogy 2011.
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Hi Michael,

I just wanted to say "Welcome" - and to agree wholeheartedly with Monica. You can (and should!) learn to play by playing pieces that you actually enjoy smile !

The big advantage you have now is that, as an adult, you get to pick your teacher wink I know you said it's hard to find good teachers in your area - I hope you are able to find someone that you can connect with, and who has experience with adults, and teaches in a way that works for you.

You might want to ask them upfront - do they allow you to choose pieces to work on, and what styles they typically teach (classical, jazz, pop, something else?), assuming that's important to you.

And, what type of music are you interested in playing?

L
L
Hi Michael, Welcome to pianoworld.
Just like it learn it and enjoy it!

B
BigIron Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Sorry for the late response. I have been travelling with work lately. I am interested in playing a "Southern Gospel" style.

My two favorites are:
Roger Bennett - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi0bLgD9w_U
Anthony Burger - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0UyTOHLvJE about 2 minutes in is neat.

I know, corny, but I just like how they do different things with the piano, and growing up in church, I know the tunes.

I would like to be able to expand into other areas but these guys make it look so fun. I have heard these guys do popular tunes also, and they were amazing!

Thanks all for the encouragement!

I have began my search, but no luck yet.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Hi Michael,
I think the value of "just picking up sheet music and trying to play stuff," as you put it is underrated, at least for an adult who already has the basics under his or her belt. I would just look for a few books of music you like at a level you think you can play, maybe a little higher, and you'll be amazed at how much you improve as the years pass. If there are things you don't understand, google them, or ask questions here. You won't likely become a concert performer, but at 33 that ship has probably sailed.

I took lessons for 2 years and quit them over a year ago, and my progress during the year on my own has far exceeded my progress during lessons. That may not be true for everyone, but many adults do better by concentrating on the pieces they enjoy rather than using a structured approach.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission