2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 4 invisible), 1,184 guests, and 271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Well bach wrote most of his music for the organ, or on the organ.... sooo. We can maybe conclude that he was a BIG fan of the organ, or there were not many harpsichords/clavis at his disposal. wink

Last edited by Brandon_W_T; 06/13/10 12:23 PM. Reason: spelling

Hailun HU7P
1799 John Broadwood and son square
1800 George Astor London square
1810 Gibson and Davis New York square
1830 John Broadwood and sons square

Aeolian-Hammond BA player organ
Conn 652 theater organ
1922 Kotykiewicz two manual harmonium
1880s karn pump organ
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Brandon_W_T
Well bach wrote most of his much for the organ, or on the organ.... sooo. We can maybe conclude that he was a BIG fan of the organ, or there were not many harpsichords/clavis at his disposal. wink

He did? Hmm. That's news to me.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

stores #1455706 06/13/10 12:22 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
How is that news when its true? Maybe you should do some research like I have.

Hailun HU7P

Conn 652 theater organ
1880s karn pump organ
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
From what I remember, Bach owned a harpsichord (a large one) and a clavichord, at least.
While much of Bach is possible to interchange between instruments, some of it was specifically written for clavichord (some parts of the Clavierubung have notations to do so), and many of his works appear to have been written for stringed instruments. Of course, he also wrote for organ, as well (he worked for churches, after all!) - but I wouldn't say that the majority of his more frequently-played works were for organ specifically.

In those days, it was the rare individual who had access to a full-blown organ, so much of the music he wrote for his students was probably meant for the more easily available instruments of the time. Organs were expensive and churches usually had them, harpsichords were less expensive but still expensive to maintain, while clavichords were more easily affordable and suitable for the small home and very portable. So try to imagine who he was writing for, what the situation was, and you might be able to make some sort of guess as to a good instrument.

Unfortunately, there is no clear-cut answer as to what works were meant for what instruments, no matter what anyone says - and they have said a lot! Almost every single book on Bach or his musical time tackles the issue, to some degree. This is why many performers choose to record some of his works on multiple instrument types.

There is an inventory list somewhere that lists what Bach owned when he died.
Among them: 2 Lute-Harpsichords, 3 harpsichords, 1 lute, 1 spinet. I think he also had some organ practice pedals or something similar.
This site gives a good breakdown on some of the arguments over clavichord-usage:
http://www.bach-cantatas.com/Topics/Life.htm

It's helpful to know that his son Carl was quite fond of the clavichord and gives us a large repetoire for the instrument, a fondness he probably picked up from his pop.

Last edited by Mattardo; 06/13/10 12:42 PM.
wr #1455721 06/13/10 12:46 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by stores
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by AngelinaPogorelich
Didn't Bach prefer the Clavichord to the harpsichord anyway?

(god do I hate harpsichord haha)

He may have personally liked playing the clavichord the most, but that doesn't mean he was writing with it in mind when composing any specific work, does it? After all, most clavichords are so quiet that they just don't work in public performance. Bach didn't write any clavichord concertos, after all.

You're right, he wrote KEYBOARD concertos, thus meaning they're not relegated to the harpsichord.

I don't know what the source material for them actually indicates, if anything, nor whether it is the same for each one, but they do seem to be called "harpsichord concertos" quite often. Even the entry on Bach's concertos in Grove refers to them in that way, rather than using the generic "keyboard".

Regardless of nomenclature, is there any doubt that when they were played in public by Bach and his kids, they were in fact performed on harpsichord(s)?

Yes, they were harpsichord concertos specifically. Harpsichords were very common in those days, to be used for the continuo playing that kept the players together, so they were easily available in such a situation. Whenever you see a work that is from that time, just assume there would be a harpsichord tinkling along in the background, in most cases.

The clavichord, while a lovely little thing, was not suitable for public performance with other instruments, it was a more private, personal isntrument. Of course, we can be thankful that if became so popular, as our modern piano probably owes a lot to it.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
How is that news when its true? Maybe you should do some research like I have.

LOL. I've probably been doing research for half as long as you've been alive. At any rate, Bach composed the greatest majority of his works for voice...not organ, harpsichord, or any keyboard instrument.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

stores #1455731 06/13/10 01:02 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I assumed he meant "among the keyboard works."
But I would agree it's not "most" among those either.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mattardo
From what I remember, Bach owned a harpsichord (a large one) and a clavichord, at least.
While much of Bach is possible to interchange between instruments, some of it was specifically written for clavichord (some parts of the Clavierubung have notations to do so), and many of his works appear to have been written for stringed instruments. Of course, he also wrote for organ, as well (he worked for churches, after all!) - but I wouldn't say that the majority of his more frequently-played works were for organ specifically.

In those days, it was the rare individual who had access to a full-blown organ, so much of the music he wrote for his students was probably meant for the more easily available instruments of the time. Organs were expensive and churches usually had them, harpsichords were less expensive but still expensive to maintain, while clavichords were more easily affordable and suitable for the small home and very portable. So try to imagine who he was writing for, what the situation was, and you might be able to make some sort of guess as to a good instrument.

Unfortunately, there is no clear-cut answer as to what works were meant for what instruments, no matter what anyone says - and they have said a lot! Almost every single book on Bach or his musical time tackles the issue, to some degree. This is why many performers choose to record some of his works on multiple instrument types.

There is an inventory list somewhere that lists what Bach owned when he died.
Among them: 2 Lute-Harpsichords, 3 harpsichords, 1 lute, 1 spinet. I think he also had some organ practice pedals or something similar.
This site gives a good breakdown on some of the arguments over clavichord-usage:
http://www.bach-cantatas.com/Topics/Life.htm

It's helpful to know that his son Carl was quite fond of the clavichord and gives us a large repetoire for the instrument, a fondness he probably picked up from his pop.

The list of instruments in Bach's estate does contain several harpsichords, but no clavichords. What's interesting is though he remarked more than once that he preferred the clavichord, one didn't exist in his home at the time of his death (of course that's not to say he never owned one).

Bach's organ works DO, actually, outnumber his compositions for other keyboard instruments, though it's for voice that the greatest majority of his works were written (largely due to his church work).

♪ ≠ $

stores #1455734 06/13/10 01:03 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Maybe he meant most keyboard works?

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
How do you shape on a harpsichord? Phrasing, articulation. That is minute changes in the lengths of notes and the gaps between notes which provide a "shape" to the music. Nothing to do with dynamics. I would argue that the shape of music on any instrument, including the piano, is more to do with changes in phrasing and articulation than changes in dynamics. Dynamic changes alter the emotional temperature, not the shape.
Quoting Francois Couperin in his preface to his 1st book of ordres:
"Experience has taught me that strong hands, capable of the most rapid and light execution, are not always equally successful in tender and expressive pieces. For my part, I frankly confess that I would much sooner be moved than astonished.
The harpsichord is a complete instrument by virtue of its range and sufficient unto itself. However, as one can neither swell nor diminish its sounds, I shall always be grateful to those who, by consummate skill supported by good taste, are able to render this instrument capable of expression."

Couperin was probably the greatest composer for the harpsichord in terms of writing music specifically for that instrument and no other and he valued expression above virtuosity. Seems to me that he had faith in what a harpsichord can achieve.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mattardo
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by AngelinaPogorelich
Didn't Bach prefer the Clavichord to the harpsichord anyway?

(god do I hate harpsichord haha)

He may have personally liked playing the clavichord the most, but that doesn't mean he was writing with it in mind when composing any specific work, does it? After all, most clavichords are so quiet that they just don't work in public performance. Bach didn't write any clavichord concertos, after all.

You're right, he wrote KEYBOARD concertos, thus meaning they're not relegated to the harpsichord.

I don't know what the source material for them actually indicates, if anything, nor whether it is the same for each one, but they do seem to be called "harpsichord concertos" quite often. Even the entry on Bach's concertos in Grove refers to them in that way, rather than using the generic "keyboard".

Regardless of nomenclature, is there any doubt that when they were played in public by Bach and his kids, they were in fact performed on harpsichord(s)?

Yes, they were harpsichord concertos specifically. Harpsichords were very common in those days, to be used for the continuo playing that kept the players together, so they were easily available in such a situation. Whenever you see a work that is from that time, just assume there would be a harpsichord tinkling along in the background, in most cases.

The clavichord, while a lovely little thing, was not suitable for public performance with other instruments, it was a more private, personal isntrument. Of course, we can be thankful that if became so popular, as our modern piano probably owes a lot to it.

Actually no, not all of the concerti are termed "harpsichord concerto". At least three of them bear the title "keyboard concerto".

♪ ≠ $

stores #1455741 06/13/10 01:08 PM
.....Bach's organ works DO, actually, outnumber his compositions for other keyboard instruments.....

THEY DO?
Then I'd give him "credit" on what he said.

It depends on what we mean by "compositions." smile
If the WTC (2 books) counts as 48 (and why shouldn't it? it's called "the 48") smile and we add the suites, partitas, various stray works like the French Overture, and top it off with the inventions (2- and 3- part), I would have thought the organ works would hardly keep pace, if we're talking about "how many." Even if we mean duration.....I'd think organ would still be lagging.

Mind you, I don't think these "counts" matter for anything.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sandalholme
How do you shape on a harpsichord? Phrasing, articulation. That is minute changes in the lengths of notes and the gaps between notes which provide a "shape" to the music. Nothing to do with dynamics. I would argue that the shape of music on any instrument, including the piano, is more to do with changes in phrasing and articulation than changes in dynamics. Dynamic changes alter the emotional temperature, not the shape.
Quoting Francois Couperin in his preface to his 1st book of ordres:
"Experience has taught me that strong hands, capable of the most rapid and light execution, are not always equally successful in tender and expressive pieces. For my part, I frankly confess that I would much sooner be moved than astonished.
The harpsichord is a complete instrument by virtue of its range and sufficient unto itself. However, as one can neither swell nor diminish its sounds, I shall always be grateful to those who, by consummate skill supported by good taste, are able to render this instrument capable of expression."

Couperin was probably the greatest composer for the harpsichord in terms of writing music specifically for that instrument and no other and he valued expression above virtuosity. Seems to me that he had faith in what a harpsichord can achieve.

I think you are confusing shape with expression.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
Mark_C #1455745 06/13/10 01:17 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
.....Bach's organ works DO, actually, outnumber his compositions for other keyboard instruments.....

THEY DO?
Then I'd give him "credit" on what he said.

It depends on what we mean by "compositions."
If the WTC (2 books) counts as 48, and if we then add the suites, partitas, various stray works like the French Overture, and top it off with the inventions (2- and 3- part), I would have thought the organ works would hardly keep pace, if we're talking about "how many." Even if we mean duration.....I'd think organ would still be lagging.

He said Bach wrote most of his music for the organ, which isn't correct. Had he said he wrote the majority of his keyboard works for the organ, then he would have been right. In terms of numbers the organ works win, but only slightly (of course the organ list is heavily laden with chorales). Take out the chorales and the scales tip dramatically. Specifically, the difference quantitatively, is less than 20.

♪ ≠ $

Mark_C #1455747 06/13/10 01:18 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Mind you, I don't think these "counts" matter for anything.

They don't.

♪ ≠ $

stores #1455751 06/13/10 01:22 PM
.....In terms of numbers the organ works win, but only slightly (of course the organ list is heavily laden with chorales).....

AHA!!
You're counting the CHORALES??????

I've never thought of those as organ works.

I know the number of them very well -- "371" is firmly in my mind, and I've had fun doing all kinds of mathematical things with the number.
(It's a great number.) smile
But I never thought of them as organ works.
I thought of them as, well, pure music.

If the chorales count, it's tough to try to make any kind of point against what Brandon said -- whichever way he meant it.

Last edited by Mark_C; 06/13/10 01:25 PM.
Mark_C #1455754 06/13/10 01:27 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
.....In terms of numbers the organ works win, but only slightly (of course the organ list is heavily laden with chorales).....

AHA!!
You're counting the CHORALES??????

I've never thought of those as organ works.

I know the number of them very well -- "371" is firmly in my mind, and I've had fun doing all kinds of mathematical things with the number.
(It's a great number.) smile
But I never thought of them as organ works.
I thought of them as, well, pure music.

If the chorales count, it's tough to try to make any kind of point against what Brandon said -- whichever way he meant it.

Well, if one wants to be technical and count those works where an instrument is present, then I suppose we do have to count the chorales too. And that disparity of less than 20 does include "with the chorales". So, I suppose it's up to whomever to decide what they want to include.

♪ ≠ $

stores #1455805 06/13/10 02:33 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
According to many historians, the Lute-Harpsichord was his favorite instrument.

http://www.baroquemusic.org/barluthp.html

Now what may he have written for that instrument? We will never know. But he owned one!

Hailun HU7P

Conn 652 theater organ
1880s karn pump organ
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
According to many historians, the Lute-Harpsichord was his favorite instrument.

http://www.baroquemusic.org/barluthp.html

Now what may he have written for that instrument? We will never know. But he owned one!

It's thought that BWV 996 was written for the lute harpsichord. I can't say I've ever heard, or read that it was Bach's favorite instrument, but I suppose it's possible, since he did have a fondness for the clavichord.

♪ ≠ $

stores #1455929 06/13/10 06:14 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Id love to play one. Certainly looks bizarre. Like an over-sized... lute!

Hailun HU7P

Conn 652 theater organ
1880s karn pump organ
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission