2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 6 invisible), 2,096 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
We spoke before, pppat ( here), about the difficulty people have in separating the personality from the issue on this forum. The EBVT threads rub people the wrong way because of the personality of the guy who invented it, and the way he presents it. This shouldn't, and doesn't, take anything away from the validity of his temperament or any other of his professional activities. This I'm sure many people can agree with. However, when his posting style and online personality consistently breaks forum rules, causing rifts and tensions within a professional community board, he should be banned in this way. The moderators have acted exactly as they should, and I support their decision.
For those using this thread to criticise or support the 'cause' of EBVT, it is irrelevant. The issue here IS personality.

Last edited by Not a Mongoose; 06/14/10 05:35 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Being mean to people? Can you honestly read the history of posts regarding EBVT III, or anything else Bill has written, and say that he has not been provoked? Can you honestly say that Bill has not endured criticism from others verging on slander? There has been enough name calling and mean spirited barbs to go around, back and forth, for sure. From my reading of it, people dished it out, and Bill dished it back.

Dale, I'm conveniently uninformed about the missing messages, but I will say that there's been one particular yappy little dog nipping at Bill's heels saying that the ET tuning that's good enough for his soccer moms and church pianists should be good enough for anyone, and if Bill finally decided to kick him in the teeth, good for him. The little dog is not banned, I notice.

Those were my very first thoughts. I have seen more provocation towards Bill's posts than perhaps any others. Yet, what I have not seen, are the people that do the provoking, being punished or banned. For the most part it seems that they are allowed to continue to provoke.

I figure this way. If you don't like the EBVT III then don't read about it. I skip out on a lot of what is said about it but that doesn't mean that I am not keeping an open mind to other possibilities in this field. I am..

As for the EBVT III, I've also learned that I don't have to use it verbatim. I can tweak it to my preference as I go along as we can do with any tuning.

It is nice that Bill was not banned completely. He does have a lot to contribute even if there are things that not everyone agrees with at all times.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
pppat Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Yes, Phil, I remember that discussion very well. And I agree with you on this being about personality. Still, I disagree on the decision of the moderators. I consider it unjust - when I read the many flaming disputes between Bill and others, to me either all deserve a ban, or then none of them. The line is clearly drawn, so to speak, but it's not horizontal. Or however one should put it.

BTW, I myself am a Vespaing tuner as of now smile

Patrick Wingren, RPT
Wingren Pianistik
https://facebook.com/wingrenpianistik
Concert Tuner at Schauman Hall, Jakobstad, Finland
Musician, arranger, composer

- - - -
Dedicated to learning the craft of tuning. Getting better.
Originally Posted by Not a Mongoose
We spoke before, pppat ( here), about the difficulty people have in separating the personality from the issue on this forum. The EBVT threads rub people the wrong way because of the personality of the guy who invented it, and the way he presents it. This shouldn't, and doesn't, take anything away from the validity of his temperament or any other of his professional activities. This I'm sure many people can agree with. However, when his posting style and online personality consistently breaks forum rules, causing rifts and tensions within a professional community board, he should be banned in this way. The moderators have acted exactly as they should, and I support their decision.
For those using this thread to criticise or support the 'cause' of EBVT, it is irrelevant. The issue here IS personality.

So people's personalities should be policed, then?

Respect is a two-way street, and maybe Mr. Bremmer gave as good as he got.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thought this might help...

Hint: He's thinking about getting his piano tuned. smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Now if this does not calm the nerves of everyone here, I don't know what will. I am certainly in a serene mood after that.

I would like to contact Mr. Carey, and suggest he try EBVT III.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DoelKees
Originally Posted by Ken Knapp
...I could close the topic. I could make it disappear. But I am not sure either is the RIGHT thing to do. Besides, I have seen numerous times when a topic is closed or moved off forum that someone just starts a new one.

I find it shocking that you would even CONSIDER such actions.

Kees

Kees,

I really don't know you. You could be the greatest guy in the world. But you are getting on my last nerve.

Ken

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
...I could close the topic. I could make it disappear. But I am not sure either is the RIGHT thing to do. Besides, I have seen numerous times when a topic is closed or moved off forum that someone just starts a new one.

I find it shocking that you would even CONSIDER such actions.

Kees

Kees,

I really don't know you. You could be the greatest guy in the world. But you are getting on my last nerve.

Ken

Sorry you feel that way Ken. What have I done to upset you this time?

I'm not really sure how your comment contributes to this thread or what you want from me.

Kees

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BDB
We also learn the undesirability of having one's ball taken away by those who do not play fair.
More like a kick in the balls if you ask me! (also unfair)

Last edited by keyboardklutz; 06/15/10 01:52 AM. Reason: humour being, of course, The Original Derailer!
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Sorry you feel that way Ken. What have I done to upset you this time?

I'm not really sure how your comment contributes to this thread or what you want from me.

Kees

Don't worry, I'll get over it.

Ken

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Dave Stahl
Maybe it's bordering on sacrilege in this forum, but I'll say it anyway: it's only pianos, folks. It's not a war (though that's not always evident), it's not a hurricane, an oil slick, or any other life or death situation. It's pianos. Ranting, belittling, and otherwise blatantly crossing lines when it comes to common decency are unnecessary within the discussions here.

Maybe another forum should be included: "Piano Free-For-All Forum," where all the gloves come off...

That is actually not a bad suggestion. Some forums have such septic tanks where threads are moved to that are not longer on topic for the forum or where certain posters who are incapable of civil discourse are restricted to.

Making people edit their own inappropriate posts or having them edited or deleted by the moderators is unfortunately a necessity in most successful forums. Giving repeat offenders time outs or suspensions is also common (necessary) practice.

Last edited by BB Player; 06/15/10 11:06 AM. Reason: Off topic political rant deleted.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Pat,

I've been at the receiving end of one of Bill's flaming attacks (which was later removed by way of editing, either by himself or by a moderator - I can't remember). All I did was voice some doubts and ask some pertinent questions about the sound of the remote keys, e.g. D flat maj (e.g. a melody such as the 2nd movement of Dvorak's 9th symphony). In NO way did I provoke Bill with rude comments or prejudice of any kind. Neither did I criticise his temperament.

And I have not been the only one unduly flamed by Bill.

It is therefore not fair to say that Bill only dished out as he received.

It would be more fair to say this: by all appearances, Bill has great difficulty in separating the matter at hand (in this case a temperament that he designed) from the person at hand (i.e. himself). [EDIT: Phil has already alluded to this.] If his temperament receives positive feedback, he is happy and literally basks in the sun. But if his temperament receives negative feedback, or simply a few questions, he often takes this as a personal affront and goes into a raging defensive-offensive behavior.

We've all heard the adage, "Play the ball, not the man." Well, it appears to me that Bill has great difficulty in doing this.

Yes, granted, Bill has also been at the receiving end at times, but from my own experience I can say that most of the personal attacks originate from Bill himself. (Although he would probably disagree, as he appears to see himself as a victim.)

Yes, granted, Bill did apologize to me later, but why is it necessary to explode into flames first, then back-pedal and apologize later? Methinks that this is exactly the kind of behavior that the moderators are trying to curb, and for that, I laud their decision.

I hope that Bill will return to the forum after his time-out expires, and that he will renew his efforts to play the ball, not the men (and women).

Last edited by Mark R.; 06/15/10 06:53 AM. Reason: given in post.

Autodidact interested in piano technology.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.
1977 "Ortega" 8' + 8' harpsichord (Rainer Schütze, Heidelberg)

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Originally Posted by theJourney
Maybe it's bordering on sacrilege in this forum, but I'll say it anyway: it's only pianos, folks. It's not a war (though that's not always evident), it's not a hurricane, an oil slick, or any other life or death situation. It's pianos. Ranting, belittling, and otherwise blatantly crossing lines when it comes to common decency are unnecessary within the discussions here.

Maybe another forum should be included: "Piano Free-For-All Forum," where all the gloves come off...

That is actually not a bad suggestion. Some forums have such septic tanks where threads are moved to that are not longer on topic for the forum or where certain posters who are incapable of civil discourse are restricted to.

PW used to have such a forum, called the Coffee Room. Turned out to be a bad idea indeed. Frank eventually had to shut it down because it got out of hand. Browsing through the Coffee Room archives you will quickly see what happens when people are free to make ad hominem attacks. eek

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I got into this Topic late because I usually stay away from the internet on weekends. So let me add this after having time to think about the situation.

Bill manipulated the Forum Administration into giving him a time out. Those that are saying that the time out is unfair are being enablers for others that also wish to act like adolescents.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Monica K.

PW used to have such a forum, called the Coffee Room. Turned out to be a bad idea indeed. Frank eventually had to shut it down because it got out of hand. Browsing through the Coffee Room archives you will quickly see what happens when people are free to make ad hominem attacks. eek

Ad hominem attacks should never be allowed and repeated offence is a good reason for permanent suspension in my book.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Even functioning democracies do not have unlimited free speech! Let alone those countries that claim they are the light to the world but haven't been representative democracies for decades.

In Europe, for example, hate speech is illegal, and can result in prosecution.

In America, one has to obey unwritten political correctness norms and watch one's every word as if under Stalinism, even when ambushed by a teenager, less one be destroyed by a malicious, vigilante posse as we have seen in the case of the Zionist Rabbi who orchestrated the pogrom against veteran White House reporter Helen Thomas.

This thread has deteriorated to a new low when bashing America is introduced into it.

We do need a "septic tank" after all.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rocket88

Even functioning democracies do not have unlimited free speech! Let alone those countries that claim they are the light to the world but haven't been representative democracies for decades.

In Europe, for example, hate speech is illegal, and can result in prosecution.

In America, one has to obey unwritten political correctness norms and watch one's every word as if under Stalinism, even when ambushed by a teenager, less one be destroyed by a malicious, vigilante posse as we have seen in the case of the Zionist Rabbi who orchestrated the pogrom against veteran White House reporter Helen Thomas.

This thread has deteriorated to a new low when bashing America is introduced into it.

We do need a "septic tank" after all.

But in America he can bash it or love it all he wants. No one has the right to ban him for doing either. To compare US constitutional rights to Stalism is to reveal how little one knows about Stalin.

Do or do not. There is no try.
Originally Posted by UnrightTooner
Bill manipulated the Forum Administration into giving him a time out.

That comes as a surprise to me, and I'd be interested in an explanation of this statement.

How did he do that exactly, and with what sort of leverage? Why would the forum administration accede to being manipulated when this is private property on which they call the shots?

Unless there's clear evidence of "manipulation," that assertion discredits both Mr. Bremmer and Piano World management.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Manipulation is the only thing that I can call what Bill did. He threw down the gauntlet, double dog dared the Administration and forced their hand knowing exactly what the outcome would be. Those that are criticizing the Administration’s actions are being Bill's dupes:

Frank Baxter, the owner of Piano World, did the actual banning.

Patrick, Bill is fortunate to have a friend such as you. But I would venture a guess that you've never been on the receiving end of Bill's sarcasm when he decides to go after you.

Nobody gets suspended on here for disagreeing with people. They do get suspended and sometimes banned for name calling and being mean to others.

The issue with Bill was discussed between Frank and the moderators before Bill was banned. About a year ago Bill was warned for the very same behavior. He chose to ignore the warning. That time he also got a month's suspension.

This time Bill was also warned because of his behavior towards another member. He once again chose to ignore the warning. So again he has received a one month suspension. In his response to the warning he even invited us to ban him from the forum.

Had Bill shown even a hint of being sorry about his treatment of another member, you all would be sitting here swapping tuning stories. Instead he decided he'd rather be suspended.

Bill is fortunate. Our policy is usually to permanently ban a person once they have received a warning, ignored it, and then been suspended. But Frank cut him some slack.

Patrick, thanks for your concern. Bill will be back. And none of this occurred without discussion of the matter between Frank Baxter and the moderators.

Ken

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
Thanks for the clarification, but I still think choosing to characterize that as "manipulation" sullies both parties here.

Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission