2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, 12 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
OP Offline
P
I was wondering does anyone know why alot of music schools won't allow Beethoven's Sonata op.49 no.2 for an audition piece? I've been looking at music schools and noticed that most don't allow that piece and I just wondered why. (Also if anyone knows of any good music schools I am open for suggestions.)Thanks!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The short answer, which will no doubt be controversial is:

It's too easy.

That's not to say it isn't a wonderful piece (it is), or that it's easy to play well (it's not), but it doesn't require the same level of technical accomplishment that the other sonatas do. Op. 49#2 is routinely played at the junior high level; it appears in Suzuki Book 4, and diligent students with strong Suzuki training can pass book four at age 9 or 10. A program containing Beethoven Op. 49 won't be competitive enough to warrant admission and scholarship to a performance program at a good school.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
op.49 sonatas (both no.1 & 2) are in sonatina scale basically, and therefore are considered as too easy for audition pieces.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Yep, its one of the easy sonatas. That being said, I love the G minor one very much, and it was the first I learned..

Last edited by Kuanpiano; 06/15/10 04:25 PM.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

P
OP Offline
P
Ok thanks I figured that had to be it but I wasn't sure I was just curious.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Each of the Sonatas of Op. 49 was entitled, by Beethoven himself, as "Leichte Sonate" ("Easy Sonata").

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yes, they are pretty easy. I played them at first sight just the other day, although I can improve of course when I play them again (and I will), but basically I didn't find any difficulties... Still... they are very nice I think, I enjoyed them. smile

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

M
M
They are easier sonatas, as others have said, and so they don't really let the auditioner show of their technical skills. However, I do think that they are hard to play well musically and are wonderful pieces. I don't think all schools would exclude those, but many more competitive ones would.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Morodiene
They are easier sonatas, as others have said, and so they don't really let the auditioner show of their technical skills. However, I do think that they are hard to play well musically and are wonderful pieces. I don't think all schools would exclude those, but many more competitive ones would.

While they're difficult to pull off musically....the other Beethoven sonatas are difficult in that sense as well (mostly more difficult), as well as having the technical and structural challenges the op.49 sonatas lack.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
Yes, they are pretty easy. I played them at first sight just the other day, although I can improve of course when I play them again (and I will), but basically I didn't find any difficulties... Still... they are very nice I think, I enjoyed them. smile

wow, first sight? I'm trying to play it at 58th sight now LOL.
Some people find op 49-2 dull, I disagree, I think it is great, very bright and happy. The 49-1 is said to be more difficult, also more interesting as music.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
After studying the early sonatinas in F and G, I tackled the Op. 49/2. I was admittedly a youngster, but by that time I had begun to listen to the 'mature' sonatas, and I felt a very great sense of accomplishment at 'arriving' on the doorstep of a composer who -to this day- ranks as my number one.

I have a very warm spot for that Beethoven sonata. Interestingly, I taught myself to read an orchestral score by following the Toscanini recordings of the symphonies with the miniature scores.

How excited I got with the finale of the 7th!

Jason
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Is op 2-1 accepted (sonata in F minor, the very first of the 32) as an audition piece? Seems to be tougher than the 49's but easier than the rest.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by al-mahed
Is op 2-1 accepted (sonata in F minor, the very first of the 32) as an audition piece?

Others here will know better than I if it is 'accepted' as an audition piece -probably dependent on the school?- but I would not particularly call it easy. The counterpoint in the development group of the first movement is challenging for memorization, and the last movement -at proper speed- certainly demands an accomplished player.

Jason
Maybe related to it being "too easy," but with a different wrinkle: It's just not that good. There's not that much in it, and so it's not that challenging musically, and therefore doesn't really show that much of what you can do.

There are pieces that are just as "easy," or easier -- like, the 1st movement of the Moonlight Sonata, or the slow movement of the Pathetique -- which show much more.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
I basically agree with you, Mark, but methinks you're being a bit too hard on it. Certainly it's 'early' Beethoven, but just in the sense that it receives the second opus number Beethoven provided. He had certainly written a fair amount of music before that, including some piano quartets that I have always enjoyed. (Yes, I know some of the themes found their way into later works.)

But to me Beethoven always has something fascinating for us, be it early works or the much maligned works of his 'Congress of Vienna' period.

It is always a joy to hear this F minor sonata in a professional recital.

Jason
Originally Posted by argerichfan
I basically agree with you, Mark, but methinks you're being a bit too hard on it.....

Indeed I was.

I was trying to be as brief and clear as possible, and when we do that, we often have to oversimplify.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Now I'm confused. I thought Mark was referring to the op.49 sonatas, not the op.2/1 that argerichfan was talking about.

Du holde Kunst...
Originally Posted by currawong
Now I'm confused. I thought Mark was referring to the op.49 sonatas, not the op.2/1 that argerichfan was talking about.

You're right -- that's what I was referring to.
I'm the one who was confused. smile

My first post was a reply to Kreisler's post -- which was the first reply on this thread and was about 49/2, as per the OP.
Since Argerichfan was replying to me, I assumed he meant that too. I just didn't catch that he said "second opus number," nor "F minor." I mean, I did see the latter and didn't quite understand it; it didn't occur to me that he might be referring to a sonata other than 49/2 since it's the piece in the title of the thread and in the post that he was replying to.

Yeah, but after al-mahed's post about Op. 2 no. 1, some people thought the discussion had shifted in that direction.

I have just started Op. 14 no. 1. I needed something doable at my advanced age. Son is plowing through Op. 31 no. 2. I'm hearing lots of Beethoven these days. smile

Op. 2/1 probably isn't going to get you in to Peabody, but it's fine for some schools.

For auditions, it also depends what else is on the program. If your other pieces are a Bach invention and Schubert Op. 90#2, then the program isn't nearly as strong as putting it with something from the Well-Tempered Klavier and the Mendelssohn Rondo Capriccioso.

It also depends on your degree plans. I assume we're talking performance. If we're talking composition, BA, or music ed, then Op. 2/1 is a fine choice.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission