Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
108 registered (bennevis, anotherscott, 36251, beet31425, anamnesis, 32 invisible), 1267 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#1499408 - 08/19/10 05:15 PM Re: Yamaha CP1 versus CP5 [Re: NikkiPiano]
Aidan Offline

Loc: UK
Wild Theme from the film Local Hero by Mark Knopfler smile

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#1499433 - 08/19/10 05:51 PM Re: Yamaha CP1 versus CP5 [Re: Aidan]
NikkiPiano Offline

Loc: Hertfordshire, UK
Thanks a million. I've probably listened to this hundreds of times without realising what it was. I love the piano rendition of it.

#1499474 - 08/19/10 06:50 PM Re: Yamaha CP1 versus CP5 [Re: NikkiPiano]
Brooks Reid Offline

Loc: United States
Purchased a Gator GK 88 soft case for my CP5 today. It fits better than I expected. The specs for the GL 88 seemed like it would be too large to fit snugly but it does. In addition it has nice big velcro straps that secure the keyboard.

Bought a Yamaha FC7 Expression pedal to control the layered sound on top of piano and it works perfectly.

Finally found out how to EQ individual instruments. Go to Mod Effects and then EQ 501. Scroll right and you have all the parameters including "Q" for 5 band parametric.

I have both the CP 500 and CP5 here in my studio now making a decision which I am going to keep. I did not want to spend the extra cash on the CP5 but it's winning me over.

#1499708 - 08/20/10 05:28 AM Re: Yamaha CP1 versus CP5 [Re: Brooks Reid]
Aidan Offline

The thing I like about the CP5 is that although it's the same weight as my RD700GX, it feels easier to haul around because the squarer nature of the case affords easier grip. Also, the RD's weight seems excessively distributed towards the back of the instrument, whereas the CP5's feels more evenly distributed.

#1499716 - 08/20/10 05:59 AM Re: Yamaha CP1 versus CP5 [Re: Aidan]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
It's the length of the RD I don't like too much due to the placement of that lame combined pitch-bend/mod control. The proportions of the thing are slightly wrong due to the excessive length, otherwise I find the RD a decent looking thing...I like the wedge profile....it's one stage piano where the term "slab" is not only unpleasant but inaccurate!

Steve

#1500272 - 08/21/10 02:53 AM Re: Yamaha CP1 versus CP5 [Re: Aidan]
Peakly Offline

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Aidan
I made a fairly rough and ready short demo of CP5 sounds yesterday which I already posted on the Keyboard magazine forum but may prove helpful to people here.

Nice demo.

The APs sound like run of the mill digital piano sounds. To me, digital pianos never sound good recorded alone. They're so finite, so boxed in, like sound inside of a fence or in a cage. A real piano has an endlessness to the sound that is hard to describe, but makes all the difference. A digital piano, like the ones in this demo, are fine for recording or playing live with a band. By themselves, they sound small to me.

I remember those "Rhodes" sounds from when I head a CP5 here for three weeks. Whatever is a word that comes to mind.

Hey Aidan, ever since you made that joke about the CP33 EP sounding like doorbells, I feel like running to see who's at the door every time I hear it! Maybe they actually sampled a doorbell for the EP sound. At least it's a pretty nice doorbell - I wouldn't mind having one by my front door!

Mychal

#1500319 - 08/21/10 06:54 AM Re: Yamaha CP1 versus CP5 [Re: Peakly]
Aidan Offline

Mychal, I don't think there's any pianist who would take a DP over an acoustic grand if given the choice. However, most of us are limited by space and budget, so I'm happy with the CP5. As I said in a previous post, the CP5 may sound a little bland compared with the Roland, for example, but on my first gig with it yesterday, it sounded really great and very even in a live setting.

#1500396 - 08/21/10 11:01 AM Re: Yamaha CP1 versus CP5 [Re: Aidan]
Peakly Offline

Loc: Southern California
Mychal, I don't think there's any pianist who would take a DP over an acoustic grand if given the choice.

I'm probably more sensitive to it right now, because I just finished recording an album using a digital piano instead of an acoustic. There were technical reasons why I had to do it, and the DP I used did a great job fitting in with the rest of the band. But during mixing I've noticed I'm missing that "infinite" impossible to describe quality that a good acoustic brings to the table. The depth and width and, well, all the nice things that you already know about.

You have a very nice pianistic touch on your recordings, and you play really well. But even with your sensitive touch, it can't bridge that gap. A DP just has a more limited sound, which in comparison to a well recorded acoustic sounds constrained to me.

Quote:
on my first gig with it yesterday, it sounded really great and very even in a live setting.

Cool, and that's the bottom line, finding a keyboard that you can count on to play well, sounds good, and is reliable. I'm glad it's working out for you!

Mychal

#1500727 - 08/22/10 12:13 AM Re: Yamaha CP1 versus CP5 [Re: Aidan]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.

2005 NY Steinway D | Yamaha CP4 | CP5

#1501020 - 08/22/10 02:58 PM Re: Yamaha CP1 versus CP5 [Re: Dave Ferris]
Brooks Reid Offline

Loc: United States
I used my Yamaha CP5 on the gig for the first time last night. Very pleased and although I really wanted to fault it so I could return it, I'm having a hard time finding a reason to take it back. The only thing I really miss is the ability to have a MIDI drum set that reads STANDARD MIDI files. The Yamaha tech told me this is not possible.
Has anyone been able to load a STANDARD MIDI drum song into the CP5/50?

Also now that I have found the INTERNAL MOD EF (not the master EQ knobs on top right) 5 band parametric EQ for the piano (or any sound) I have been able to really tweek the piano for my live gig. I can cut all the low mid mud and bring up the sparkle on the high to cut though the mix.

The Hammond sounds are really nice. In the ROTARY MOD EF you have a lot of controls for the Leslie settings but I have not got into it yet. I did notice that when you change speeds, it speeds up or slows down correctly.
You can control speed of the horn/rotor, mix, mic angle, etc.
Has anyone else played with the Leslie settings? Have you been able to switch the speed on and off with foot pedal?

#1517258 - 09/17/10 01:40 PM Re: Yamaha CP1 versus CP5 [Re: Brooks Reid]
pgrcheckit Offline

I did a side by side comparison of the Yamaha CP1 and the CP5. Played both instruments today at the shop Feedback Rotterdam in the Netherlands.

About the key action

The graded hammer action is a system that Yamaha used up till now for some of their stage piano's, the CP50 still has this graded hammer system system. The CP1 and CP5 are equipped with new improved key action, called "true wood", real wooden keys covered with synthetic ivory top layer. In my opinion the action of these true wood keys is indeed better than the "old" graded hammer action, although the way action feels on a keyboard is also influenced on the the way the sound reacts to your touch.

Sound quality

If you play both instrumentss, you cannot come to another conclusion than that the CP1 totally outclasses the CP5. The CP1 truely is the flagship of the series. I was actually a bit disappointed by the sound quality of the CP5, it can not even compeed with my own Yamaha P-250 (the flagship from it's own era).
The CP1 sounds are open, with a lot of presence which I'm sure will cut through your band mix with ease, the e-piano's are very realistic, the CP5 really cannot stand in the shadow of it's big brother. Reading the specs on the internet you would think that the CP5 has some of the sounds of the CP1, but listening to it, I conclude that this is not the case. The prize difference is there for a reason.
If you are looking for a Yamaha stage piano in the prize range of the CP5, you are adviced to also look at the CP300.

#1517842 - 09/18/10 12:21 PM Re: Yamaha CP1 versus CP5 [Re: Wojtek Kowalewski]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
CP1 to CP5 isn't much of a issue. The CP1 only has one more modulation block which can be tweaked. The CP5 has many of the same patches as the CP1 and the cut through just as well.
I happen to have them both and really only notice the difference on certain EP patches.

#1517947 - 09/18/10 03:58 PM Re: Yamaha CP1 versus CP5 [Re: pgrcheckit]
octurn Offline

Loc: Belgium
Originally Posted By: pgrcheckit
I did a side by side comparison of the Yamaha CP1 and the CP5. Played both instruments today at the shop Feedback Rotterdam in the Netherlands.

Sound quality

If you play both instrumentss, you cannot come to another conclusion than that the CP1 totally outclasses the CP5. The CP1 truely is the flagship of the series. I was actually a bit disappointed by the sound quality of the CP5, it can not even compeed with my own Yamaha P-250 (the flagship from it's own era).
The CP1 sounds are open, with a lot of presence which I'm sure will cut through your band mix with ease, the e-piano's are very realistic, the CP5 really cannot stand in the shadow of it's big brother. Reading the specs on the internet you would think that the CP5 has some of the sounds of the CP1, but listening to it, I conclude that this is not the case. The prize difference is there for a reason.
If you are looking for a Yamaha stage piano in the prize range of the CP5, you are adviced to also look at the CP300.

And you used the same headphone? Or were sure the same speakers were connected to both DP's?

And you were sure nobody had been messing with any of the settings of the models? By changing some of the many parameters you can really mess up the original sound.
When I tried the CP5 I noticed many weird settings on the showroom model, but when I asked the salesman, they couldn't help me out, since they didn't know how anything was done. Apparently some customers had been pressing buttons randomly...
Once I found out how to do a factory reset I was able to test the CP5 more thoroughly.

After all, I didn't hear the difference between CP1 and CP5 like you did...

Edited by octurn (09/18/10 03:59 PM)

My (almost blank) youtube channel

#1518070 - 09/18/10 08:16 PM Re: Yamaha CP1 versus CP5 [Re: Wojtek Kowalewski]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
octurn, you raise valid points.

And no dig at you, but this kind of squabbling is a direct product of only trusting one's ears - it's purely subjective. A CP5 DPBSD MP3 would likely settle this once and for all. I for one am very interested as to whether there are fundamental differences between the CP1/5/50 basic CF sample sets.
!IMO!

#1518099 - 09/18/10 09:00 PM Re: Yamaha CP1 versus CP5 [Re: octurn]
Melodialworks Music Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: octurn

When I tried the CP5 I noticed many weird settings on the showroom model, but when I asked the salesman, they couldn't help me out, since they didn't know how anything was done. Apparently some customers had been pressing buttons randomly...
Once I found out how to do a factory reset I was able to test the CP5 more thoroughly.

I NEVER understand why store personnel never seem to know even basic things about the gear they are selling - like a factory reset.

#1518150 - 09/18/10 10:31 PM Re: Yamaha CP1 versus CP5 [Re: Melodialworks Music]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Melodialworks Music
I NEVER understand why store personnel never seem to know even basic things about the gear they are selling - like a factory reset.

Here in the US it's basically a minimum wage job. And with zero pay there are rightly zero expectations.
!IMO!

#1518204 - 09/19/10 12:36 AM Re: Yamaha CP1 versus CP5 [Re: dewster]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: dewster
A CP5 DPBSD MP3 would likely settle this once and for all.

There is a good reason why you don't have one too, its a DAW only job. The CP5 seems to have very strange issues playing SMF's.

#1518364 - 09/19/10 10:16 AM Re: Yamaha CP1 versus CP5 [Re: Dr Popper]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dr Popper
The CP5 seems to have very strange issues playing SMF's.

Dr, could you elaborate? I'm curious as to what these issues are.
!IMO!

#1518413 - 09/19/10 12:08 PM Re: Yamaha CP1 versus CP5 [Re: Wojtek Kowalewski]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Well you do a SMF for it in your DAW take care to voice it correctly...put it on a USB stick ... tell it to play it and ....wrong voice...it will play it fine when connected directly. I don't know its a odd one and I couldn't be bothered fu<king around with it. Can't be the file because it plays when connected.

#1518860 - 09/20/10 04:52 AM Re: Yamaha CP1 versus CP5 [Re: Dr Popper]
octurn Offline

I'm by no means an expert, but I discovered if playing a loaded MIDI file, the CP5 doesn't use a voice, but uses the active preset. So if your preset is a split bass + layered piano+strings he will by default use that setup for playing the MIDI file.

Basically, you can't just select a voice in a CP5, you have to select presets and then assign voices in to the different parts in these presets.

At least that's how I think it works.

But there has to be a way around this for playing a MIDI file, or not?

#1518872 - 09/20/10 05:13 AM Re: Yamaha CP1 versus CP5 [Re: Wojtek Kowalewski]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I don't know I tried and gave up I'm sure there is a way around it but I couldn't be bothered screwing around with it.

#1518881 - 09/20/10 06:18 AM Re: Yamaha CP1 versus CP5 [Re: octurn]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: octurn
I'm by no means an expert, but I discovered if playing a loaded MIDI file, the CP5 doesn't use a voice, but uses the active preset. So if your preset is a split bass + layered piano+strings he will by default use that setup for playing the MIDI file.

Basically, you can't just select a voice in a CP5, you have to select presets and then assign voices in to the different parts in these presets.

At least that's how I think it works.

But there has to be a way around this for playing a MIDI file, or not?

Though I haven't done it, I would suspect you create a preset, a User Preset or USB Preset, using that midi file as the 'voice' for that preset.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1519732 - 09/21/10 11:46 AM Re: Yamaha CP1 versus CP5 [Re: Dave Horne]
rha Offline

Loc: vermont
Thanks for all the good info on this series from Yamaha. I can't seem to figure out if the CP50 allows for layering at least two sounds/voices. I'd prefer to get the CP50 due to weight considerations but if it doesn't have the ability to layer, that would be a deal killer.

Anyone know?

#1519887 - 09/21/10 03:14 PM Re: Yamaha CP1 versus CP5 [Re: rha]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: rha
Thanks for all the good info on this series from Yamaha. I can't seem to figure out if the CP50 allows for layering at least two sounds/voices. I'd prefer to get the CP50 due to weight considerations but if it doesn't have the ability to layer, that would be a deal killer.

Anyone know?

From the CP5\CP50 owner's manual (easily found by Googling 'yamaha cp5 manual', click on first hit, and then clicking on Resources) ...

page 7: Principal Features of the CP5 & CP50

Extremely simple overlaying and division of keyboard zones

Using your stage piano’s layering and splitting functions, you can easily layer the various parts that make up each
Performance or assign them to specific left-hand and right-hand zones.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1544747 - 10/27/10 01:13 PM Re: Yamaha CP1 versus CP5 [Re: Dave Horne]
Ovidiu M Offline

Loc: Romania
Hello guys! I've read the entire topic and so far i fail to understand if CP1 really worth ~1700 euro over CP5. I dont know about the topic initiator, but what i'm particulary interested in is that if CP1's piano samples are superior to those in CP5. Because if they are identical and given also the identical keyboards, than for me the almost double price tag is just for marketing purposes of the flagship model...
So how about those piano samples?

#1544790 - 10/27/10 02:06 PM Re: Yamaha CP1 versus CP5 [Re: Ovidiu M]
Hideki Matsui Offline
500 Post Club Member

I have the CP1 and can tell you that the acoustic piano sounds seem identical to the CP5 to my ears. The EPs are a completely different story and well worth the additional price tag if you use EPs. If APs are your primary concern, I would say not worth the price difference.

Originally Posted By: Ovidiu M
Hello guys! I've read the entire topic and so far i fail to understand if CP1 really worth ~1700 euro over CP5. I dont know about the topic initiator, but what i'm particulary interested in is that if CP1's piano samples are superior to those in CP5. Because if they are identical and given also the identical keyboards, than for me the almost double price tag is just for marketing purposes of the flagship model...
So how about those piano samples?
Roland Jupiter 80

#1544792 - 10/27/10 02:07 PM Re: Yamaha CP1 versus CP5 [Re: Aidan]
Hideki Matsui Offline
500 Post Club Member

That was a great soundtrack. I remember loving it when it came out... geez was that over 20 years ago. Knopfler has always been one of my favorites.

Wild Theme from the film Local Hero by Mark Knopfler smile

Edited by Hideki Matsui (10/27/10 02:09 PM)
Roland Jupiter 80

#1545523 - 10/28/10 04:15 PM Re: Yamaha CP1 versus CP5 [Re: Wojtek Kowalewski]
octurn Offline

After some more avant-gardist pieces, more specifically DPBSD as composed by Dewster, I've also recorded a more classical piece on my CP5: Medtner: Tales Op. 26 no 1: Allegretto Frescamente.

Maybe this one gives you a more pleasant listen about the AP sound on the CP 5. I've changed two things here on the preset voice: turned off the master compressor (which I always do, still have to find where I can put this as a default setup when the piano is turned on. Secondly I've set the hammer hardness to hard1, which I like more than the normal hardness.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Piano World 
(ad) Teaching Music To Children
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Wessell Nickel & Gross
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Which verticals would be considered mellow?
by PamDD
07/01/15 06:54 PM
Competitions and nationality
by fnork
07/01/15 06:17 PM
Twelve Major and Minor Dorian scales
by Tango
07/01/15 05:36 PM
Kawai MP7 OUTPUT Jack not working
by yukimister
07/01/15 05:33 PM
20th Century Pieces
by Christoaster12
07/01/15 05:23 PM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
79,852 Registered Members
44 Forums
165,221 Topics
2,423,051 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission