2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,131 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
fs6500 Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I'm planning to buy a (discontinued) CVP-401 model found at a local store. They currently have 2 units available. 1 is a demo model, that has been shown in the showroom for about 2 weeks. The other one is a consignment from a buyer whom purchased the piano about 1.5 years ago. It is still in a great condition with plastic wrap on the digital screen intact. Both model is in Rosewood.

Since the store won't disclose the asking price over the phone, I have to come there tomorrow to see the actual items and do the bargaining. I need help on what price I need to offer them. For a comparison, another local store nearby had agreed to lower their asking price (after bargaining) of $2,999 for a CVP-501 to sell it for $2,900 nett (incl. delivery and a 9.75% CA tax), if I decided to go ahead with this new version. This store also used to carry CVP-401. Unfortunately, they sold all of them. Their closeout asking price was $2,499 (excl. delivery and tax - before bargaining).

My thought is I will spend less by getting the discontinued CVP-401 model as opposed to buy the new CVP-501. I'm still undecided if I wanted to buy the demo or the 1.5-year old used, although I'm leaning toward the used one to save more money.

I would appreciate any input and your suggestion on asking price would help me greatly.

Thank you in advance.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
For comparison purposes ... the prices-paid thread shows three US sales of the CVP-401, purchased new:
$2995 ... Dec 2007 ... California
$2995 ... Jan 2009 ... So. Carolina
$2990 ... Jan 2009 ... Maryland
Those were sold before the new 500-series came out.
My guess is that a new CVP-501 for $2999 included tax and delivery would be a great buy.

A used or demo CVP-401 would save you lots of money. What were the asking prices?

F
fs6500 Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thank you for the price comparison info.

The store wouldn't disclose the asking price over the phone. I will check them out tomorrow. As for the other local store, the asking price for the already-sold demo of CVP-401 was $2,4999 (excl. bargaining, 9.75% tax, and delivery). I don't know how much the depreciation % per year, but I assume the 1.5 year old used one would be less than $2,000. If that's the case, I would at least save $500 compared to the demo one. Appreciate any advice on how much to offer the store on the used one.

Thank you in advance.

Sales of the higher-priced pianos are generally negotiated, so a quoted price means little. And, yes, it seems the stores are prohibited from discussing price over the phone, apparently as part of their agreement with Yamaha (and the same probably applies to the other brands). So you have to make an appearance at the store.

There's no fixed depreciation rate. A sale happens when a buyer and a seller come to any agreement that suits them. You might want to offer $2000 for the 401. I wouldn't go any higher. Here's why:

This unit is at the low end of the CVP line. It's specs are comparable to the CLP-320 ... not even that good, since the 401 has only 1-level sampling, while the CLP-320 has 3-levels. (But the 401 looks nicer, eh?)

So unless you're REALLY attracted by the drums and other accompaniment features of the 401, this is not the best choice for the money. If you're willing to spend $2500, the CLP-340 is a better choice in all respects (except that it lacks the accompaniment features).

F
fs6500 Offline OP
OP Offline
F
This is a long overdue follow-up. Thank you MacMacMac for your input. Turned out the seller refused to lower their $2,500 asking price for the used 401. I couldn't justify the price with 501 only for $400 more. So it was no deal for me.

I have looked at CLP-320 and I read that it is similar to YDP-161 as both share CF sampling, GH graded hammer and 128-note polyphony. I wonder if I should take YDP-161 instead as it is cheaper with similar features.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission