Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1459576 - 06/20/10 12:01 AM What are your favorite "upbeat" pieces with "energy"?
Redhead1 Offline

I was just let go from a restaurant job tonight because the manager said I didn't have enough "energy" and didn't "play in a way that makes everyone want to have a good time."

I'm not sure what that means, but it does sound like I need to add some more "upbeat" pieces to my repertoire list.

Pieces that I did play included:

When I'm Sixty-Four
Desperado
Misty
Stairway to Heaven
Just the Way You Are
and several Vince Guaraldi pieces

any ideas? What are some sure-fire pieces "with energy"?

Redhead

Piano & Music Accessories
#1459718 - 06/20/10 10:26 AM Re: What are your favorite "upbeat" pieces with "energy"? [Re: Redhead1]
BearLake Online   content

Loc: SE Idaho
Pieces with energy:

Waiting for the Robert E. Lee
Tico Tico no Fuba
Alexander's Ragtime Band
Gilbert and Sullivan Light Opera and Ragtime provide good selections
Rage over a Lost Penny (Rondo a capriccio in G Major) Beethoven
"I'll Build a Stairway to Paradise"
"California Here I Come"
Oklahoma!
"There's No Business Like Show Business"

#1459972 - 06/20/10 07:07 PM Re: What are your favorite "upbeat" pieces with "energy"? [Re: BearLake]
J_D Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
Mariah, (They call the wind Mariah)
It's gonna take some time this time.
I feel the Earth move - Carol King

Love Lies Bleeding - Elton John
All the Young Girls Love Alice - Elton John
Joy to the World - Written by Hoyt Axton,
Great Balls of Fire

#1459998 - 06/20/10 08:08 PM Re: What are your favorite "upbeat" pieces with "energy"? [Re: J_D]
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
Have you considered that maybe the repertoire isn't the issue? How are YOU approaching the repertoire? Are you throwing yourself into the music or just going through the motions? I've seen guys play upbeat stuff that sounds tired and monotonous. I've also heard guys play a simple ballad with the focus of a laserbeam and couldn't help but be drawn in as a listener.
I get that some gigs require a certain type of repertoire but all I'm saying is to look at yourself first. When you are playing, who are you 'being'? What are you trying to say or express through the music?
My 2 cents, thanks for reading.....

#1460011 - 06/20/10 08:25 PM Re: What are your favorite "upbeat" pieces with "energy"? [Re: J_D]
Little_Blue_Engine Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, US
"Lady Madonna"~Beatles
"Big Shot", "You May Be Right" or "Only The Good Die Young"~Billy Joel
"Army"~Ben Folds Five
"Honky Cat"~Elton John

#1460112 - 06/21/10 12:28 AM Re: What are your favorite "upbeat" pieces with "energy"? [Re: Redhead1]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
Sorry to hear about that, Redhead. These managers and people in general don't seem to know how difficult it all is. Hmmm.. How about "I Could Have Danced All Night" and other "show tunes", ragtime (I play my own version of "The Entertainer"), a bouncy stride tune like "As Time Goes By", Ain't Misbehavin', Piano Man, Those Were the Days, All of Me, You Are the Sunshine of my Life, Take the A Train.. I'm just going through my song list now and trying to pick out some of the "peppy" tunes that I play. Of course, you can take a ballad like "Autumn Leaves" and play it in a quick jazzy style. Will try to think of some more. How about some boogie?

Edited by Elssa (06/21/10 12:31 AM)

#1460191 - 06/21/10 08:27 AM Re: What are your favorite "upbeat" pieces with "energy"? [Re: Elssa]
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cornwall, England
Dear Redhead1

As someone who only aspires to to what you're doing I'm not really qualified to give definitive advice. However, to follow on from what AJF has advised...

If you mostly play verbatim from sheet music, then perhaps - just perhaps! - this could be part of the problem. I respectfully suggest that you may need to 'spice up', embellish or 'fill-out' the pieces you're playing. My observation is that, as written, transcripted music can often - though not always - be somewhat over-simplistic, wooden or, dare I say it, a little 'boring' (at least for public performance).

As one who admires your playing, I wish you every success!

#1460218 - 06/21/10 09:46 AM Re: What are your favorite "upbeat" pieces with "energy"? [Re: AJF]
Redhead1 Offline

Originally Posted By: AJF
Have you considered that maybe the repertoire isn't the issue? How are YOU approaching the repertoire? Are you throwing yourself into the music or just going through the motions? I've seen guys play upbeat stuff that sounds tired and monotonous. I've also heard guys play a simple ballad with the focus of a laserbeam and couldn't help but be drawn in as a listener.

Thanks for the feedback. I need all the help I can get.

Well, I certainly didn't FEEL like I was going through the motions, at least. I personally didn't feel bored or tired as I was playing. I liked what I was playing. I was happy to be there.

What's funny is that at least two people gave me tips in the hour before they sent me home. So I thought, "Wow, I'm doing great!" and that kinda got me kinda jazzed and I THOUGHT it made me play even better.

But I guess not!

Redhead

#1460223 - 06/21/10 09:55 AM Re: What are your favorite "upbeat" pieces with "energy"? [Re: Redhead1]
Arabesque Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Japan
Hey, I just had a look at your repertoire above. And, yes, nice songs but all slow and safe.

I'd think about your audience's age range and tastes more too.
Can you get someone to hear out some new songs?

I'd offer for any place:

Route 66 - Nat King Cole
Makin Whoopie - Nat King Cole
In the Mood - Glenn Miller
Want You Back - Jackson 5
Jump - Van Halen
Light My Fire - Doors
For Once in My Life - Stevie Wonder
I Wish - Stevie Wonder

Et Cetera.

However, you need to be secure as a musician. Do you agree with this? By the way, I love that repertoire you posted. I think you can get a much better venue. Anyone who doesn't love those songs is weird.

#1460371 - 06/21/10 03:53 PM Re: What are your favorite "upbeat" pieces with "energy"? [Re: Arabesque]
nitekatt2008z Offline
500 Post Club Member

Red, it seems like the dueling piano concept has set into the mind of the club owner/manager. At Universal City in Los Angeles there is a fireball club with two high energy dueling pianos who really keep the energy flowing and the crowd in a high energetic mood.

Some pianists in bars/restaurants are playing just background music. Other, more lively places want the piano to really cut through the crowd and establish a high energy vibe, possibly audience sing a longs. Sometimes a piano player is more of an entertainer than a dedicated fine pianist and their style just doesn't fit the room.

What I would advise for you to do, is go on youtube and find cocktail and cruise ship pianists and see what they are playing and how the crowd is reacting to what tunes they are doing.

Also more lively and up tunes like "S'Wonderful", "I Got Rhythm," "A Foggy Day," "Speak Low," "One Note Samba," will always liven up the joint. Give it a shot.

katt

#1460427 - 06/21/10 05:32 PM Re: What are your favorite "upbeat" pieces with "energy"? [Re: nitekatt2008z]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Here's a good one. I think she has a great style - both flowing and bouncy/upbeat. smile

#1461058 - 06/22/10 04:53 PM Re: What are your favorite "upbeat" pieces with "energy"? [Re: Elssa]
blueston Offline

Loc: MA, USA
I don't necessarily think the problem is with you. Although, I'm glad you are not too arrogant to not look inward briefly to double check you are doing all the right things.

But remember, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... and not all people can see"

(or "hear" in this case).

In other words don't take the opinion of just 1 mortal as the Gospel.

#1462970 - 06/25/10 04:40 PM Re: What are your favorite "upbeat" pieces with "energy"? [Re: blueston]
ZUNisCOOL Offline

I can guarantee that no one's going to be coming up with these songs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQfgjoV8IMo&feature=related
^^ that one's nice, easy, and short (if you're beginning)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBBy4okFwUI&feature=related
and THIS one verges on impossible (I'd change some parts if I were you..)
but it's truly beautiful.

#1467443 - 07/03/10 06:40 AM Re: What are your favorite "upbeat" pieces with "energy"? [Re: ZUNisCOOL]
Mr Linus Offline

Loc: Australia
Heres some standards I play that are bouncy and fun:

-Honeysuckle Rose
-After You've Gone
-Tangerine
-All of Me
-Have you met Miss Jones?
-Lullaby of Birdland
-At Last
-Don't Get Around Much Anymore
-Sweet Georgia Brown

Just give them an oom-pah left hand and they're full of energy! laugh

#1467568 - 07/03/10 12:23 PM Re: What are your favorite "upbeat" pieces with "energy"? [Re: Mr Linus]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
werewolves of London

heh

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#1467595 - 07/03/10 01:12 PM Re: What are your favorite "upbeat" pieces with "energy"? [Re: apple*]
Little_Blue_Engine Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, US
Originally Posted By: apple*
werewolves of London

heh
Could even do double duty, add some "Sweet Home Alabama" to it and you got yourself a Kid Rock song!LOL 3 songs for the price of 2...

#2160109 - 09/30/13 02:40 PM Re: What are your favorite "upbeat" pieces with "energy"? [Re: Redhead1]
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I second the One Note Samba suggestion. Also "Linus and Lucy" is peppy.

#2160117 - 09/30/13 03:01 PM Re: What are your favorite "upbeat" pieces with "energy"? [Re: Redhead1]
rada Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: pagosa springs,co
Ragtime usually helps and any novelty pieces...like' Dizzy Fingers' by Leroy Anderson.....anything jazzy...

rada

#2160175 - 09/30/13 05:50 PM Re: What are your favorite "upbeat" pieces with "energy"? [Re: Redhead1]
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I do all these very upbeat songs:
Born This Way (Lady Gaga), Dynamite (Taio Cruz) , Don't Stop believing, Gangnam Style, Don't Stop The Party (Pitbull), Scream and Shout (wil.I.am) Scream (Usher), Titanium (Sia), Call Me Maybe (Carly Rae),Clarity (Foxes), Just Give Me A Reason, Good Tinme (Carly Rae), Poker Face, Paparazzi (gaga), DJ Got Us Fallin In Love Again (Usher), Whistle (Flo Rida), Feel THis Moment (Pitbull 7 Christina), What Makes You Beautiful (1 Direction), Teenage Dream (Katy Perry), Firework (Katy Perry.), Hot n Cold (Katy Perry), The One That Got Away (Katy Perry), Sweet Child Of Mine (Guns Roses) Sweet Home Alabama, It's A Beautiful Day (U2)

#2160178 - 09/30/13 05:53 PM Re: What are your favorite "upbeat" pieces with "energy"? [Re: Redhead1]
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I do Satin Doll with this arrangement:

#2160215 - 09/30/13 07:58 PM Re: What are your favorite "upbeat" pieces with "energy"? [Re: Redhead1]
JamesPlaysPiano Offline

What a great thread, not only as an interesting topic to discuss but also for all the great song suggestions it generated!

I'd echo what others have said about things like "energy" being in the eye of the beholder. I'm not saying this is you at all, but I think some musicians sort of forget that their own sense of "energy" and "having a good time" can be vastly different from that of an audience, and that it can differ from one audience to another. For better or worse, I think it often relates, very generally, to what style of music and/or what kind of "approach" to music was popular when those in the audience were in their teens and twenties. This could translate not only into switching from big band standards to Beatles tunes, for example, but it could also mean switching from lots of improvisation and/or harmonic substitutions/deviations into something closer to playing tunes like they are on the record.

Looking at it purely from a business standpoint, you could suppose that the person in charge is ultimately interested in what "pushes the buttons" of the crowd, and then (again, from a business perspective) it becomes your job to try and figure out what that is, and "push those buttons." However, looking at it from an artistic standpoint, this opens the can of worms about whether you, as an artist, are willing to be "that" pianist. (Maybe you are, which is perfectly fine- just saying that business and artistic goals don't always line up, which I'm sure you know).

It's unfortunate that you weren't told more specifics about what it was that you didn't do, and even more unfortunate that you weren't told from the beginning, since it could have prevented the problem before it ever happened. It's also unfortunate that many owners/F&B managers etc. honestly can't articulate what it is they want or don't want (not because they're not smart enough, but because it's not their area of expertise). It becomes an "I'll know it when I see it" guessing game, as you try a little of this and that to see if he/she likes it. I try to tell a "boss" of a gig something to the effect that, since I'm improvising instead of reading, it's like I've got lots of little 'dials' in my head, which can be turned up or down. I can play faster vs. slower, more "in your face" vs. more "in the background," "happier" vs. "darker," and so on-- and that they can *let me know* throughout the gig if they want me to "adjust" one or more of those dials. It certainly doesn't solve all barriers of communication, but it gives us a common ground as a starting point, and it shows from the start that I (and I'm sure, you) am not just a "one-flavor" pianist.

I can definitely identify with both sides, because we're not all experts in articulating what we want in all areas. I have to admit that I've told the person cutting my hair more than once, "um, I'm not sure how much to cut off or how much was cut off last time, exactly, but can you make it look good? I think I'll know it when I see it..." smile

James

#2165871 - 10/14/13 01:37 AM Re: What are your favorite "upbeat" pieces with "energy"? [Re: JamesPlaysPiano]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I think boogie-woogie is loads of fun to play, not too difficult, and usually gets the joint jumpin'. grin

#2167724 - 10/17/13 02:07 PM Re: What are your favorite "upbeat" pieces with "energy"? [Re: Redhead1]
Michael Martinez Offline

Loc: California
Boogie Woogie or the stride piano style. Those are always favorite styles in a bar setting, particularly noisy or rambunctuous bars. They're also pretty physically demanding, with the potential to cause problems to your hands and wrists, so I wouldn't recommend making a whole set out of just boogie woogie. But definitely learn a few songs in that style.

Or, get a gig at a quiet bar/lounge setting where the pianist is expected to play soft music that keeps out of the way.

Petrucciani had a nice melodic right hand - a lot of right-on-the-money counterpoint - and could play those way upper registers in a way most people don't. His playing was exquisite, his harmonizations sophisticated and on the money, his improvisations exactly how improvised jazz should be.

Edited by Michael Martinez (10/17/13 02:38 PM)

#2167780 - 10/17/13 04:45 PM Re: What are your favorite "upbeat" pieces with "energy"? [Re: Redhead1]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Referring to that important reference volume, The Great Looney Tunes Collection (1990 ed.), some songs that pop out are:

Ain't We Got Fun
Carolina in the Morning
Forty-Second Street
Get Happy
The Gold Diggers' Song (We're in the Money)
Hello! Ma Baby
I'm Just Wild about Harry
The Lady in Red
The Latin Corner
Nagasaki
Oh, Johnny Oh
Shuffle Off to Buffalo
The Toy Trumpet
You Oughta Be in Pictures
You're Getting to Be a Habit with Me

I am sorry that book is out of print today. The current volume is nowhere near as good a collection, although it does have more high-energy Raymond Scott. Dinner Music for a Pack of Hungry Cannibals would be appropriate for a restaurant, I suppose.

#2168099 - 10/18/13 12:16 PM Re: What are your favorite "upbeat" pieces with "energy"? [Re: BDB]
Jim Frazee Offline

Loc: Westchester County, New York
Some more:

A Fine Romance
Ain't Misbehavin'
Alice in Wonderland
All the Things You Are
Autumn Leaves
Desifinado
Do Nuthin' 'Til Hear From Me
East of the Sun
Easy to Love
Green Dolphin Street
How High the Moon
I'll Remember April
I'll Take Romance
Indiana
It Could Happen to You
Joy Spring
Lady Is A Tramp
Meditation
Scotch "N" Soda
Summertime
Take the A Train
There Is No Greater Love
Up Jumped Spring
Waltz for Debby
Watch What Happens
Watermelon Man
Wave
While We're Young
Work Song
You Make Me Feel So Young

Good luck. More often than not, I used to find that it was the employees (who heard the same tunes every night) that got tired of my playing. I just changed things around and (now) almost never play the same song for three nights (unless it's a request) in a row. That also keeps things interesting for you, whether as solo or as a trio member.

Edited by Jim Frazee (10/18/13 12:18 PM)

#2168722 - 10/19/13 11:45 PM Re: What are your favorite "upbeat" pieces with "energy"? [Re: Jim Frazee]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Great song list, Jim! thumb

Take The A Train (Duke Ellington)

#2168897 - 10/20/13 11:29 AM Re: What are your favorite "upbeat" pieces with "energy"? [Re: Jim Frazee]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
If I may say so, the above list is more than a tad dated. Most people who relate to it would be either musicians or dead. Some of them I used to play about 5 years ago now, but I wouldn`t any more. Pop ballads and funky easy listening stuff seems OK this side of the pond, the object being to relax the diners and encourage them to drink/eat more. It`s great if nobody pays you any attention; means you`ll be playing next week . .

""

#2168915 - 10/20/13 12:34 PM Re: What are your favorite "upbeat" pieces with "energy"? [Re: peterws]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I must beg to differ. smile Here in New York there are plenty of venues that feature the jazz standards and songs from The Great American Songbook, and the music is enjoyed and appreciated. Then there are other places that feature more modern jazz/pop music as well.

Bert Rechtschaffer is one great local pianist who plays mostly the "old" classic jazz standards (with his trio, not solo), and whenever I've heard him play it's been a full house and they obviously loved the music. thumb

http://www.bertrechtschaffer.com/BertRechtschaffer.com/Welcome.html

Edited by Elssa (10/20/13 12:41 PM)

#2168927 - 10/20/13 01:07 PM Re: What are your favorite "upbeat" pieces with "energy"? [Re: Elssa]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
I can appreciate this, Elssa. But is this in a sophiosticated restaurant setting amid the clinks of cutlery and the waitresses` shouts of "More CHIPS!!" as she kicks in the kitchen door . . .

And you`re playing next to that same bloody door; Liverpool waitresses are the worst . . .but they`re also the best looking and funny too.

Memories! Wonder if they want me back?? eek

Edited by peterws (10/20/13 01:08 PM)

""

#2168942 - 10/20/13 01:44 PM Re: What are your favorite "upbeat" pieces with "energy"? [Re: Redhead1]
RonL Offline

Who has been stealing my set list? Lol.i do a lot of tunes mentioned as well. Billy Joel's root beer rag always perked things up.

I know what people mean though about the great American song book stuff. They are great tunes but almost a hundred years old at this point...ok 80 yrs.

It's hard to do solo piano versions of a lot of things, besides ny state of mind or piano man. I confess I don't even know what half the tunes rintincop suggested even are LOL which isn't to say they just wouldn't work I just don't know them.

You have to find a place to play that is a good fit for you. I do an Italian restaurant once in a while and play all the Sinatra stuff and the love theme from the godfather and it goes over.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
154 registered (Alex-SapRenovation, accordeur, ajames, 48 invisible), 1756 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75515 Members
42 Forums
156156 Topics
2293215 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Best Keyboard/Piano £600 light up keys
by barabusm
8 minutes 36 seconds ago
July Concert Program - Performance Thread
by hreichgott
9 minutes 47 seconds ago
Recommend me a setup for jamming at home
by Gretel
10 minutes 42 seconds ago
Can You, Will You Help?
by Piano World
49 minutes 49 seconds ago
Embedded ads?
by Peyton
Today at 09:33 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission