Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1459999 - 06/20/10 08:08 PM Re: Yamaha Disklavier GT-7 Digital Grand Piano Price? [Re: EssBrace]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: EssBrace
Do I get a jacket?

Silly. Large multi-nationals don't distribute jackets to people who are merely nice. You have to work harder at being more subservient to their agenda. And be obvious yet cool about it to attract the anti-technorati.

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1460084 - 06/20/10 11:05 PM Re: Yamaha Disklavier GT-7 Digital Grand Piano Price? [Re: Melodialworks Music]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Melodialworks Music
Thanks for the pointer to the Slate article. I had apparently missed that when searching for AG reviews.

OMG, what have I done? Lawrence, is it too late to stop you? For the the sake of all that is holy, whatever you do, don't click on the Donald Duck in MathMagic Land Link!!!

#1460123 - 06/21/10 01:37 AM Re: Yamaha Disklavier GT-7 Digital Grand Piano Price? [Re: dewster]
Melodialworks Music Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: dewster
Originally Posted By: Melodialworks Music
Thanks for the pointer to the Slate article. I had apparently missed that when searching for AG reviews.

OMG, what have I done? Lawrence, is it too late to stop you?

Heh. Heh. You think you'd get my dry humour, by now!
Yamaha NU1 + Production Grand

#1460146 - 06/21/10 03:50 AM Re: Yamaha Disklavier GT-7 Digital Grand Piano Price? [Re: dewster]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: EssBrace
Do I get a jacket?

Silly. Large multi-nationals don't distribute jackets to people who are merely nice. You have to work harder at being more subservient to their agenda. And be obvious yet cool about it to attract the anti-technorati.

I received several e-mails from Robert Heller, the National Sales Director for Yamaha's Keyboard Division. Regarding this specific situation he wrote:

Her situation was somewhat unique. In short, the local dealer where she lived refused to order an Avant Grand for [her] unless she paid up front. (We’re reviewing our relationship with that particular dealer) She wanted to try it out. The picture on her website is actually one of the events that Yamaha often attends. Since she had such a difficult time getting an Avant Grand, I wanted to give her a small token of our appreciation, directly from Yamaha.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1460150 - 06/21/10 04:40 AM Re: Yamaha Disklavier GT-7 Digital Grand Piano Price? [Re: Dave Horne]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Dave, may I ask if you sought permission from Mr Heller before pasting the contents of his private email on a public forum?

If you already did, and he was in agreement, then my apologies.
However, I believe we need to exercise a little caution before openly quoting the contents of private emails.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1460166 - 06/21/10 06:46 AM Re: Yamaha Disklavier GT-7 Digital Grand Piano Price? [Re: Kawai James]
Volusiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

I guess I'm confused because in her blog she said her dad went to the dealer to measure the N3 3 separate times to make sure it fits in the minivan. So that means there's a floor model. So why does Robert Heller's email say that the local dealer refused to order one for her to try out unless she paid up front?

#1460175 - 06/21/10 07:37 AM Re: Yamaha Disklavier GT-7 Digital Grand Piano Price? [Re: Kawai James]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
Dave, may I ask if you sought permission from Mr Heller before pasting the contents of his private email on a public forum?

If you already did, and he was in agreement, then my apologies.
However, I believe we need to exercise a little caution before openly quoting the contents of private emails.

Kind regards,
James
x

No, I did not. I wrote him initially to confirm that he actually wrote at that blog. While I may have committed a faux pas, I felt it answered the issue at hand.

When someone signs their e-mail as a representative of a company, I look at that as being less than personal e-mail - he's representing a company.

For what it's worth, I left out his comments on the 256 note polyphony issue. smile

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1460225 - 06/21/10 09:58 AM Re: Yamaha Disklavier GT-7 Digital Grand Piano Price? [Re: Dave Horne]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dave Horne
For what it's worth, I left out his comments on the 256 note polyphony issue.

Could you give us the gist of his comments re. polyphony?

#1460241 - 06/21/10 10:21 AM Re: Yamaha Disklavier GT-7 Digital Grand Piano Price? [Re: dewster]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

He and I are in agreement.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1460243 - 06/21/10 10:26 AM Re: Yamaha Disklavier GT-7 Digital Grand Piano Price? [Re: Dave Horne]
Volusiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

So does that mean it's actually 256/4=68 note only due to the 4 channels? Or is it still full 256 note polyphony for real even with the 4 channels included?

#1460259 - 06/21/10 11:15 AM Re: Yamaha Disklavier GT-7 Digital Grand Piano Price? [Re: Dave Horne]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

He and I are in agreement.

Uh, OK - could you give us the gist of your comments re. polyphony?

#1460268 - 06/21/10 11:41 AM Re: Yamaha Disklavier GT-7 Digital Grand Piano Price? [Re: dewster]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

dewster, I'll tell you what, why don't you get your hands on a N2 or N3, play a bunch of notes and then report back if you can hear anything that sounds less than 256 note polyphony.

I couldn't hear any notes dropping on my GT1 and that piano only had 32 note polyphony. smile

Wait a minute, are you the one who had an N2 and then returned it to the dealer? Who was that?

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1460274 - 06/21/10 11:53 AM Re: Yamaha Disklavier GT-7 Digital Grand Piano Price? [Re: Dave Horne]
EssBrace Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
How about you just tell us what he said about the polyphony issue?

Cheers,

Steve

#1460378 - 06/21/10 04:02 PM Re: Yamaha Disklavier GT-7 Digital Grand Piano Price? [Re: Dave Horne]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

dewster, I'll tell you what, why don't you get your hands on a N2 or N3, play a bunch of notes and then report back if you can hear anything that sounds less than 256 note polyphony.

I wasn't dissing your mad polyphony detecting skilz. smile

I just wanted to know what the Yamaha guy said about it. Your initial response was so cryptic I had to ask again. Sorry to have upset you, it wasn't intentional.

Wait a minute, are you the one who had an N2 and then returned it to the dealer? Who was that?

Snazzyplayer had an AG and sold it. There may be others here but I'm not really tracking any AG issues myself.

#1460387 - 06/21/10 04:18 PM Re: Yamaha Disklavier GT-7 Digital Grand Piano Price? [Re: dewster]
Melodialworks Music Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Snazzy had a N3.
Yamaha NU1 + Production Grand

#1460406 - 06/21/10 04:50 PM Re: Yamaha Disklavier GT-7 Digital Grand Piano Price? [Re: dewster]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I wasn't dissing your mad polyphony detecting skilz. smile

I just wanted to know what the Yamaha guy said about it. Your initial response was so cryptic I had to ask again. Sorry to have upset you, it wasn't intentional.

Snazzyplayer had an AG and sold it. There may be others here but I'm not really tracking any AG issues myself.

No, I'm not upset. What was stated to me was slightly personal in nature. I made a comment regarding the polyphony in the GT (32) and my views on one aspect of that blog and he agreed with me.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1460413 - 06/21/10 04:57 PM Re: Yamaha Disklavier GT-7 Digital Grand Piano Price? [Re: Dave Horne]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I made a comment regarding the polyphony in the GT (32) and my views on one aspect of that blog and he agreed with me.

Oh. You said this earlier:

For what it's worth, I left out his comments on the 256 note polyphony issue.

So I thought perhaps the Yamaha guy made some technical clarification regarding polyphony in the AG. But I guess that's not the case.

I'm not trying to pry into a personal conversation or anything, I'm just wondering if it is possible to exhaust the polyphony on the AG as Helen seems to be reporting in her blog.

#1460447 - 06/21/10 06:04 PM Re: Yamaha Disklavier GT-7 Digital Grand Piano Price? [Re: Dave Horne]
8000 Post Club Member

When someone signs their e-mail as a representative of a company, I look at that as being less than personal e-mail - he's representing a company.

Yes, I see your point. However, I still believe it would have been courteous to contact Mr. Heller prior to posting the contents of his private email in a public forum.

Cheers,
James
x

#1460463 - 06/21/10 06:38 PM Re: Yamaha Disklavier GT-7 Digital Grand Piano Price? [Re: Kawai James]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I only contacted him because I felt I deserved a jacket; I've spend a small fortune on Yamaha products over the years. If Yamaha is giving out jackets ... and the blog was less than accurate, well, I think I should qualify for a freebie. I know I've persuaded a few folks to buy a GranTouch over the years. Now that he explained to me exactly why she was offered a jacket, I didn't feel this was a breach of confidentiality.

I did not quote him regarding the polyphony issue since that comment was slightly more personal.

But the bottom line is this, I don't have to read a spec sheet to make a decision on a piano; I use my ears ... and since the issue in question is note polyphony and the spec sheet would seem to be a vast improvement over the GranTouch ... and since the GranTouch never gave me the feeling of being shortchanged, .... I find this entire .... sentence just a tad too long.
smile

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1849868 - 02/22/12 09:20 PM Re: Yamaha Disklavier GT-7 Digital Grand Piano Price? [Re: EKP]
hhsandi Offline

Now that much time has elapsed...

Hello. I am the Helen whose (personal) blog you discovered and so lovingly covered. I thought I'd come here myself and respond to a few points.

First and foremost, I see that you have varying opinions about who you think I might be and my mental acuity, but rest assured that I am easily accessible on the web and you can find out quite a bit about who I am and what I do. I'll even give you a start: http://www.helenhousandi.com

Regarding the jacket and the contact from Mr. Heller: I am not a Yamaha shill, and I would apologize for coming across as one, but I don't think apologies are needed here. I certainly don't expect any.

Regarding the tone: it sounds like a (recorded) Yamaha concert grand. Seeing as that's exactly what it is, I think that should explain itself. I don't look for a unique sound in a mass produced piano and thus took no notes on it.

Regarding the local dealer vs. the one near my father: I live nowhere near him and have not for some years. I'm not sure what transpired between Yamaha and the dealer located in the state I was living in at the time, but I suppose that explains why I got the offer of a jacket (which came and was about what you'd expect for digital piano related swag, by the way). Thank you for providing details on something I had not put much thought into.

In the end, I suppose I should just be glad that somebody finds me "fairly attractive", no? I hope that in the future, some of you might think to contact a person individually first, especially if your inclination is to go for ad hominem attacks.

#1849955 - 02/23/12 02:19 AM Re: Yamaha Disklavier GT-7 Digital Grand Piano Price? [Re: hhsandi]
Manolios Offline

Loc: Germany
Hi hhsandi,

I'm looking for an AP replacement due to my living situation and your review was helpful for me. Helpful pros and cons too, thank you.

As for your nice reaction here to the critics in this forum: I wouldn't worry much about them, it's generally speaking a mix of envy, misogynistic tendencies...and too much free time!

Best,
Manolios

#1849959 - 02/23/12 02:28 AM Re: Yamaha Disklavier GT-7 Digital Grand Piano Price? [Re: Manolios]
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Manolios
As for your nice reaction here to the critics in this forum: I wouldn't worry much about them, it's generally speaking a mix of envy, misogynistic tendencies...and too much free time!

Beautifully put. wink

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
137 registered (accordeur, antony, A Guy, 43 invisible), 1433 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74217 Members
42 Forums
153533 Topics
2249971 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"Love More" Chris Brown and Nicki Minaj - Piano Cover
by Zach Evans
9 minutes 8 seconds ago
Sheet music for Philip Glass's etudes?
by Eldridge
53 minutes 18 seconds ago
Charles Walters piano
by Colleen05
Today at 07:05 PM
Why 88 keys?
by gsmonks
Today at 03:01 PM
Casio AP range advice please
by thamajor7
Today at 01:38 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission