Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1460313 - 06/21/10 01:17 PM Looking for good beginner's classical book
JoeyIsFunny Offline

I tried searching but kept seeing alfred's book everywhere! Many people love the series, but I dont really want to learn the type of music in that book right now, Im wanting to start with some classical. Any recommendations for a good book that has some theory and general beginners lessons in addition to music?

Edited by JoeyIsFunny (06/21/10 01:18 PM)

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1460315 - 06/21/10 01:26 PM Re: Looking for good beginner's classical book [Re: JoeyIsFunny]
Ejay Offline

Loc: U.K.
How about the Classics to Moderns series ?
I have book one and there is a guide listing them in order of difficulty.

ETA sorry , didn't see the bit about lessons until after I has started my reply.

This series is a good supplement to a method. The only classical method books I have seen in person, aimed at adults, jump ahead even faster than Alfreds. I have Thompsons and Schaums, but they contain no more actual teaching than Alfreds.

Edited by Ejay (06/21/10 01:30 PM)

#1460319 - 06/21/10 01:38 PM Re: Looking for good beginner's classical book [Re: Ejay]
JoeyIsFunny Offline

Do you think Alfred's adult beginner one book would be good to pick up anyway because of the lessons and information it provides?

I will pick up that book you linked to and others in the series, thanks!

Edited by JoeyIsFunny (06/21/10 02:04 PM)

#1460324 - 06/21/10 01:59 PM Re: Looking for good beginner's classical book [Re: JoeyIsFunny]
Ejay Offline

Loc: U.K.
Personally I like Alfreds , it is not perfect, but I think you would struggle to find any one method book, that by itself alone, would meet everyone's requirements

I'd recommend looking at suppliers of second hand books and buy a few to see which suits you best. I picked up Alfreds series second hand, with no marking on the pages, for a reasonable price.

#1460348 - 06/21/10 02:49 PM Re: Looking for good beginner's classical book [Re: Ejay]
joyoussong Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
If you live near a library, you might be able to sign out Alfred's from there, too. I did book 1 on library loans, then bought book 2.

#1460360 - 06/21/10 03:08 PM Re: Looking for good beginner's classical book [Re: Ejay]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
I tried Alfred's but I hated playing the music in it (sounded ugly & primitive to me), so switched and taught myself using the Keith Snell repertoire series. The Snell repertoire books don't have the added teaching material that Alfred's does -- they're just plain old sheet music for the pieces. I had had maybe a year or so of piano lessons as a kid, and played some tin whistle as an adult, so I didn't need to learh how to read music (at least the treble clef).

There are supplementary scale and theory supplements by for the Snell books, but I chose my own different ones, because i had a head start in theory. They're meant for use with a teacher, but I am pretty self-directed.

I like books that come with CDs, so I can hear what things are supposed to sound like. The beginner repertoire series with CD's that I found are listed below.

Keith Snell - Piano Repertoire Series. Each level has 3 books & a CD (available separately), a book of Baroque & Classical, a book of Romantic & Modern, and a book of Etudes. There is another similar series with only one book per level, which includes CD, but has less pieces and none of the modern stuff (which is fun).

Helen Marlais - Succeeding with the Masters -- focuses on easier pieces by big name composers. Beginners start with On the Way to Succeeding with the Masters.

Festival Collection, also edited by Helen Marlais -- this does NOT overlap material with Succeeding with Masters).

Masterwork Classics, edited by Jane Magrath.

Edited by tangleweeds (06/21/10 03:09 PM)
Edit Reason: meant to hit preview

neglected piano blog

#1460377 - 06/21/10 04:01 PM Re: Looking for good beginner's classical book [Re: tangleweeds]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
You might like The Joy of First Classics by Denes Agay.

#1460383 - 06/21/10 04:15 PM Re: Looking for good beginner's classical book [Re: Plowboy]
JoeyIsFunny Offline

Thank you all for the help. Time to start looking!

#1460474 - 06/21/10 06:57 PM Re: Looking for good beginner's classical book [Re: JoeyIsFunny]
bbuckis Offline

For my lessons I work out of Alfred's Group Piano for Adults Book 1. this gives me more than enough theory.
At home on the side I work out of The Joy of First Classics, books 1 and 2, by Denes Agay, also Classical Music, (Adult Piano Series) Book 1 Elementary, Arranged and Edited by Robert Schultz. These three books have no theory, but appear to have progressively more difficult pieces for the beginner.

#1460554 - 06/21/10 09:02 PM Re: Looking for good beginner's classical book [Re: bbuckis]
heidiv Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: piano bench, usually
I like The Joy of First Classics too, and use it for several students. No commentary or instructions, just pieces, but a great intro to classics book.

Another book you might like is an Alfred book called "Masterwork Classics Levels 1-2," compiled and edited by Jane McGrath. It's only $9.95 and comes with a CD, which might come in handy if you're without a teacher.

If I may make a suggestion: If you're new to classical music, start with works that seem extremely simple in order to train yourself to pay attention to the smallest details - every phrase mark, every staccato, every accent, every rest. Better to play a "simple" piece well than a challenging piece sloppily.

Best of luck to you as you explore!

Edited by heidiv (06/21/10 09:02 PM)

#1460658 - 06/22/10 01:15 AM Re: Looking for good beginner's classical book [Re: heidiv]
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Alfred's Adult Group Piano books 1 and 2 for lessons.

Keith Snell Piano Repertoire for pieces.

More than enough right there. And always having one piece from each 'era' going on, particularly the Baroque and Classical early on.

Good luck.
BM, Violin & Percussion Performance 2009, Piano Pedagogy 2011.

#1460680 - 06/22/10 03:12 AM Re: Looking for good beginner's classical book [Re: ll]
tonkempen125 Offline

Hi Joeisfunny,

I might have a very different starter's method you might be interested in.

I started playing piano a little less then a year ago and I asked my teacher to please provide me a method without the really childish songs but more classical and technical type of book.

So I started out with: "Carl Czerny: 100 recreations", or "100 erholungen" as it sometimes has been sold. A true startersbook. Although a little old-fashioned (Czerny was a 19th century piano composer/teacher, one of the teachers of Liszt). This method seems to be a little out of fashion these days but Czerny has been the start of many great pianists in the past.

As far as I am concerned this book is ideal for the adult starter who wants to develop a real classical basis.

I myself after a year of hard practice am almost finished with this book and I have learned a lot!

Edited by tonkempen125 (06/22/10 04:52 AM)

#1460693 - 06/22/10 04:24 AM Re: Looking for good beginner's classical book [Re: tonkempen125]
marcus123 Offline

First joy of classics 1 and 2. I would highly recommend.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
64 registered (ando, AZNpiano, Asmodeus, Alux, 16 invisible), 1137 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74318 Members
42 Forums
153721 Topics
2253489 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The Eagles - Hotel California (Piano Cover)
by Mr. Pianoman
Today at 03:29 AM
Student growing tall
by pianoplayer84
Today at 02:41 AM
Whole tone scales leading to interesting series of keys
by caters
Today at 12:16 AM
Another beginner
by mojoe
Today at 12:02 AM
GH1 tuning pin torque
by awyaks
Yesterday at 11:38 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission