2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 12 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by the nosy ape

One example that I always found funny is that most people will refer to the animal that beef comes from as a "cow", even though "cow" indicates a female animal and virtually all beef comes from males. If you were to correct someone using the word in this way the best you could reasonably hope for is a shrug and a "whatever".

And pop culture is no help in this matter either. Case in point, the movie "Barnyard". In this cartoon we have male "cows" complete with udders. I've found myself in arguments with grown-ups (30+) that there is no such thing as a male cow.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
When I was 5, I thought dogs were the boys and cats were the girls. Finding out that there were girl dogs and boy cats was right up there with no Santa and no Easter Bunny.

I also called pieces songs until I got to high school and was told otherwise. And I occasionally still refer to pieces as "songs," but that's more a philosophical opinion than uninformed habit. I think of pretty much all music as vocal, and I'm more likely to hear Elizabeth Schwartzkopf or Dawn Upshaw in my head than Richter or Horowitz. I also gravitate towards pianists who seem more vocal in their tonal concept - Rubinstein, Lupu, Fischer (Edwin), etc., and some of the modern pianists I admire most are primarily collaborative artists (Martin Katz, Howard Lubin, Bengt Forsberg.)

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by Little_Blue_Engine
Originally Posted by jcabraham
I'd guess that 90% of people under a certain age, maybe 25, refer to any piece of music as a song.

Well, then, they're all idiots.
It goes without saying that many are extremely intelligent. I should know ...L taught them for 35 years. They're just using the vocabulary that has been adopted by people their age. Apparently it comes from how they refer to anything on their Ipad.
Many never learned that there was a difference to begin with so they don't realize they're doing anything wrong.
Except your comment assumes they're doing something wrong. Maybe some know there's a difference but want to communicate with their friends in the langauge most use. Words can evolve in meaning and the evolution is based on usage to some extent.
I wasn't really thinking about young people who change their usage of the word to match who they're talking to (using "song" for "piece" with their friends) which is definately not wrong. I was thinking more of the times I've seen new forum members who use "song" in the pianists' forum when talking about a piece and get corrected very quickly, sometimes nicely, sometimes not so, by forum members. I think many honestly didn't realize the difference until it was pointed out to them or at least did not realize how serious some people can be about it.

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Online Content
Originally Posted by Little_Blue_Engine
I think many honestly didn't realize the difference until it was pointed out to them or at least did not realize how serious some people can be about it.
You're assuming there is a difference. Some don'think any "difference" exists anymore and that any seriousness about this supposed difference is silly and pretentious.

To claim that someone is "assuming" that there's a difference between songs and other pieces of music is to assume that an observable and definable distinction is but a supposition or a matter of opinion.

It's been said that language evolves, and indeed it does. But "evolution" usually suggests movement toward refinement and diversity. I think that the blurring of meaningful distinctions and loss of specialized vocabulary is actually devolution.

Maybe one day everyone will talk like Frankenstein, Tonto and Tarzan in those old SNL sketches. At least there won't be any more ontological arguments about our suppositions of reality when we lack the terminology to engage in them. smile

Online Content
Originally Posted by Chopinist
To claim that someone is "assuming" that there's a difference between songs and other pieces of music is to assume that an observable and definable distinction is but a supposition or a matter of opinion.
But for many(probably the majority at this point in time)there is no difference, so talking about things as if there is one is making an assumption and also a matter of opinion.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 06/21/10 08:20 PM.
If you were to correct someone using the word in this way the best you could reasonably hope for is a shrug and a "whatever".

But for many(probably the majority at this point in time)there is no difference, so talking about things as if there is one is making an assumption and also a matter of opinion.

Meh. Whatever. smile

Vocabulary, and the use of nuanced vocabulary, is one of the choices people make for themselves. As odd as I find "song" to be as an all-encompassing default term, it's not worth getting exercised over.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
So, if you hear a "musak" (instrumental) version of a 40-year-old song (say by the Drifters or whatever), and you say to someone "God I hate that song!", are you using the term "song" correctly or not? hmmmmm

But more seriously, I think "work" is the best term for classical pieces, if for no other reason it prevents one of the ugliest (or at least strangest) misspelled words in the English language from being typed. Okay, okay, I'll type it: peice....... Yuck!

Last edited by Rick; 06/22/10 02:59 AM.
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Rick
So, if you hear a "musak" (instrumental) version of a 40-year-old song (say by the Drifters or whatever), and you say to someone "God I hate that song!", are you using the term "song" correctly or not? hmmmmm

Depends... If you know the song and hate it, and later hear an instrumental version of it and comment that you hate the song, you may be using the term correctly if you are referencing your memory of the original. But if you only have heard the instrumental, and not the original song, and don't know it ever was a song, you are using it incorrectly.

Hey, you asked...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I never liked the term 'work', only because it makes it seem as if the piece is absolutely no fun, and was just one big, annoying laborious piece of work. It also tends to set up an intellectual barrier, as if to say "don't even think of approaching this WORK in the same way that you would approach your "Oh Mickey You're So Fine" SONG! No dancing to the beat, please - this is Haydn, not MC Hammer." Though I DO tend to want to bust a move when I hear Haydn. There, I said it... Almost as if giving something the title 'work' or 'piece' puts it on a pedestal, because of the name.

I don't know - whenever I use terms like 'piece' and 'work' - I feel slightly robotic and hesitant. Maybe that's my inner hooligan yearning to call such things 'songs', 'dittys' and 'medleys'.

When I read notations in classical pieces like moderato cantabile, andante molto cantabile, I get the impression of singing. Would that make them songs?

D
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
that would them make cantabile pieces, or melodious ones, they are not sung, they are played.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

I think you've answered yourself here. You say you've just heard an instrumental version of a 40 year old song...well, there you have your answer. You just called it what it is...a song, which it is, since it was written with lyrics, yes?

Last edited by stores; 06/23/10 06:18 AM.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm not sayin what the right answer is! Cause...cause I really don't know. haha

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores

I think you've answered yourself here. You say you've just heard an instrumental version of a 40 year old song...well, there you have your answer. You just called it what it is...a song, which it is, since it was written with lyrics, yes?

So you are saying Beethoven's Variations on God Save the King is a song, correct?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Aren't they variations on a song?

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
It seemed to me that he was saying that an instrumental version of a song is still a song because the original had lyrics.

M
M
The other day, I was shopping. Let me mention that at that time I had long hair and was not really tall (well, I'm still a little bit short, but I'm working on it.)
Then, a shop helper comes behind me and asks, "Can I help you madame ?"

Obviously I was outraged in my all-roaring, profusely male virility, so I must share my deepest compassion with the poor pieces that are insulted every day and called mere songs. Having one's very nature mistaken is the worst injury and insult there is !
My ego might very well never recover... Can you imagine how those son--pieces feel ?

Last edited by Mostly; 06/23/10 12:07 PM.
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
It seemed to me that he was saying that an instrumental version of a song is still a song because the original had lyrics.

Which doesn't really make much sense, although I could see that the usage would occur. The instrumental isn't sung, so it may be the tune, but it is no longer the song. That's what happens when you take the singing out of a song, you are left with the tune or melody of the song.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores

So you are saying Beethoven's Variations on God Save the King is a song, correct?

No. The variations are not a song. They are variations on the theme of the song.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission