2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Craig Hair, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, Davidnewmind, 4 invisible), 1,265 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
Hello!

Here's a little background:
I am looking into buying a piano and have just found out about digital pianos - I realize I'm way behind the times smile I am a very beginner player. Anyway, I cannot afford much at all (probably less than $500) so I am looking at used ones. I don't care anything about being able to make it sound like a violin or anything like that - all I care is that it sounds like an acoustic piano. Also, as far as the looks go, I only like the ones that have a wooden stand with the pedals attached (not a pedal on a cord). Oh and if you can't already tell, I'm totally lost as to what I'm doing smile - it took me forever just to figure out how to post this question!

My first question is what are the brands I should be looking at for a very basic digital piano with a good sound and weighted keys? The Williams brand seems inexpensive for new ones, but does that mean they are not good quality?

And secondly, these are a couple ads in my local classifieds:

"Used Technics digital upright Piano for sale. Condition is mint. Model number PX71. Comes with bench. Paid $1800 new in 2000. Asking $375.00"

and,

"This is a 2 yr old Williams Etude digital piano in perfect as new condition. It comes with wood stand, foot pedal, power cord & user's manual. The sound is incredible. Asking $495.00."

Can someone please tell me what they think of these ads and whether or not they are a good deal or if I should stay away from them?

Thank you!!!

J
J
Im not very experienced with DPs so take my advice lightly, but from the little bit Ive heard of Williams, their lower models are not good. For the price you are looking at (less than $500), you will most likely only be able to afford low end older models in the "cabinet" style. Piano sounds have come a long way in the last 5-7 years so try to find one newer than 2005-ish if you can.

If you can find a used Casio Celviano ap-220, this is a great sounding piano that would be in your price range. They are fairly new though, so may be hard to find used.

Again Ive got to toot my px-130 horn. I bought the DP, wooden stand, and 3 pedal unit brand new for $600 through guitar center. It is a great "low end" instrument that is ahead of the competition with a very good quality piano sound for under $500 (for the DP alone). Check it out.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I agree with Joey, consider Casio if your budget is very tight, I have an older PX200. But also look at the major brands like Yamaha, Kawai, Roland for used. And also Korg, here's a link to their new model for under $500. Korg for sale

Last edited by guest1013; 06/25/10 01:51 PM.
S
OP Offline
S
Thank you so much for the advice! It is VERY appreciated. Of course any other advice anyone wants to give is also very welcome.

F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
When buying used, you're essentially substituting time for money.

If you can get help from a friend, that'd be good. If no help is available, you'll have to check out the DP yourself. Touch is the most important consideration when buying a DP. With a used one, it'd be a good idea to verify that all keys do in fact work. With the DP turned off, press each key and release it. Do you feel any differences with any of the keys? Do they all rebound at the same rate? Do you hear any noises with some keys which are different from the others? Press keys and wiggle them a little from side to side. There should be minimal movement. Look at the keyboard from one side. Are the keys level?

Turn on the DP and make sure that all notes sound. If there's a sustian pedal - there should be - make sure that it does sustain the notes that you play.

Condition, condition, and condition. If anything doesn't work every time, don't buy.

Yamaha would be my first choice when buying a used DP, because their actions have a good reputation for durability and quality control. Casio would be my last choice, unless you find one which is not more than two years old and whose appearance verifies the seller's claim that it's been lightly used. YMMV.

S
OP Offline
S
Thank you. What about a Yamaha DP vs. a Kawai DP?

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission