Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1464411 - 06/28/10 02:42 PM Re: "Failure to thrive" advanced students [Re: keystring]
AZNpiano Online   sleepy
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Here's a piece that saved one student:

Gwyneth Walker, "Rhythms from the North Country"

http://www.gwynethwalker.com/rhythmsf.html

Enjoy!

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1464416 - 06/28/10 02:47 PM Re: "Failure to thrive" advanced students [Re: keystring]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Perhaps, perhaps not. When I was young, I had a very strong distaste for the jazz idiom. You could give me all the theory in the world, and it wouldn't have mattered. I would have quit lessons if my teacher had insisted on jazz.

#1464440 - 06/28/10 03:26 PM Re: "Failure to thrive" advanced students [Re: John v.d.Brook]
blueston Offline

Loc: MA, USA
As a "student" I seemed to have the opposite experience. Being mostly self taught with very little formal training, I reached a certain level on my own and then plateued for several years but would always keep playing for myself at home. Then after many years of no lessons i finally found an appropriate but very demanding teacher who was able to show me the light and I made several breakthrus in only a couple years.

So non-taught student hits plateau and solves it by getting teacher.

So student taking lessons hits plateau should quit teacher?

Same logic but in reverse, but I don't know that that sounds like a good idea. How about some of these ideas instead-

A students interest and ambition needs to come from within somehow. They need to want to improve. You can't make them but you can find ways to nurture and coax them along a little. Ask yourself what would make a student want to get better.

1. Some have already suggest a showy or flashy piece they can show off to friends.

2. Finding opportunities to do more performing would be another thing, whether it be solo performances, like for church. Or joining a band. Or just getting together informally with a couple other people to jam. Playing with just one other person can be lots of fun. Or how about Open Mics nights. Or any other "Goals" to work towards.

3. Try listening to a lot of new and different music. This motivates me a lot. When I hear a really cool piece then I want to be able to play it, even if it's difficult. Try new styles if you haven't already like in the Jazz family- Blues, Boogie etc. Upbeat stuff can be a great alternative to classical and new age pieces.

4. I hate to say it but sometimes a change of teacher can be refreshing and good change of pace. Every teacher has strengths and weaknesses and I always think it's a good idea to learn from as many different people as possible. I am planning on doing this myself and rotate thru a few I know and may even go back to the same one a couple times.

But #3 is what I suggest first.

#1464445 - 06/28/10 03:29 PM Re: "Failure to thrive" advanced students [Re: AZNpiano]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
Originally Posted By: AZNpiano
Here's a piece that saved one student:

Gwyneth Walker, "Rhythms from the North Country"

http://www.gwynethwalker.com/rhythmsf.html

Enjoy!

Thanks! This is wonderful.

#1464766 - 06/29/10 01:15 AM Re: "Failure to thrive" advanced students [Re: Barb860]
Candywoman Offline
500 Post Club Member

While I'm grateful for the repertoire suggestions, upon further reflection, that's not really the problem. They both like almost everything I choose. (I've asked them to choose, btw; they have occasionally.) They simply don't place a value on practicing enough or can't make the changes to their lifestyles that piano would necessitate. I have given them performance opportunities, but they don't practice enough for a solid performance. It always sounds like a good read-through.

I suspect they don't really know how long they'd have to practice a piece to really show it. I can't handle giving more than about twelve lessons on a given piece. I usually tell them to keep practicing it after that and show it later if desired. However, by then, we're usually onto the next thing. At their slow practice rate, more than twelve weeks on the same piece wouldn't really make for interesting lessons.

At times, I envision what it would be like to teach only advanced students. I wonder how university professors do it. You'd have to see about two hours per day of practicing from the student to make an interesting lesson, I would think.

Edited by Candywoman (06/29/10 01:16 AM)

#1464844 - 06/29/10 05:32 AM Re: "Failure to thrive" advanced students [Re: Candywoman]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
You can lead a horse to water...

#1465025 - 06/29/10 12:38 PM Re: "Failure to thrive" advanced students [Re: theJourney]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
In fact, I require a minimum of 2 hours a day from my university students, but few of them actually do it and it shows. Very frustrating. I don't have this problem at all with my high school students.

#1465106 - 06/29/10 02:47 PM Re: "Failure to thrive" advanced students [Re: Minniemay]
Breathe Piano Offline

Loc: Grand Rapids, MI
Hey, I don't mean to sound promotional or anything, but it sounds like my new idea would work out really well in your situation. I'm creating online 6 week courses for building up musical fundamentals. These should enhance student's playing as well as free up your time to work on what you want to! You can read more about it in this thread: http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...tml#Post1465074

#1465225 - 06/29/10 07:18 PM Re: "Failure to thrive" advanced students [Re: Breathe Piano]
Elissa Milne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Breathe Piano, hey I don't mean to sound mean, but yeah, I reckon you do sound promotional or something, because your new idea doesn't seem to address the concern of this thread at all. But I'm only guessing because access has been denied to the link you put up.....!!!!
www.elissamilne.wordpress.com

#1465229 - 06/29/10 07:24 PM Re: "Failure to thrive" advanced students [Re: Elissa Milne]
Breathe Piano Offline

Elissa,

the person is saying that her advanced students are spending too much time working on fundamentals and not enough time music making. That is the whole point of this. You can check it out at CreatingMusicians.com. Please understand that this is completely free for you teachers as well.

Edited by Breathe Piano (06/29/10 07:24 PM)

#1465231 - 06/29/10 07:31 PM Re: "Failure to thrive" advanced students [Re: Breathe Piano]
Elissa Milne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
I didn't read the OP that way - I think that the problem is that the students are 'coasting' rather than putting in appropriate time.

It seems to me that the students have no problem with the 'fundamentals' - just with prioritising practice! And this is not a motivation issue - they don't want to stop lessons or change teachers - they just don't want to spend more than 2 hours a week playing the piano.

I've had students just like this! They really have mastered the basics - great theoretical knowledge, acceptable sight reading standard, reasonably impressive aural skills - they just haven't got more than 2 hours a week to put into piano.......... And they don't wish to cease lessons!!!!
www.elissamilne.wordpress.com

#1465236 - 06/29/10 07:38 PM Re: "Failure to thrive" advanced students [Re: Elissa Milne]
Breathe Piano Offline

oh you are right, she mentioned doing these things with them and I thought she was saying she had to focus on them, but the issue is that they aren't practicing their pieces so she's using this stuff as filler.

Thanks for clearing that up! That is very frustrating, I've not ever had a student like that so I doubt I can be much help but I can imagine it is very difficult.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
134 registered (Almaviva, accordeur, alex-kid, Anne'sson, 44 invisible), 1368 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74236 Members
42 Forums
153564 Topics
2250595 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Science
by venice1
04/18/14 09:59 PM
MP7 vs MP11: only 6 differences?
by Marko in Boston
04/18/14 09:08 PM
the conclusion on weighted keys and developing technique
by B.Petrovic
04/18/14 09:02 PM
song i wrote about a coffee shop
by jedplays
04/18/14 08:50 PM
song i wrote. people in clubs love it
by jedplays
04/18/14 08:48 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission