Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1463761 - 06/27/10 08:27 AM Edward Auer All-Chopin (and Schumann) Recital
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
So, Evelyne Brancart was supposed to give a performance of all 24 Chopin Etudes and the Schumann F# minor (I think?) Sonata. However, she canceled a few days in advance, so Edward Auer filled in by giving a recital. Since he's a stellar Chopin player and it's Chopin's 200th this year, he played this program:

Click to reveal..

-Ballade No. 1 in G Minor Op. 23
-Nocturne in G Major Op. 37 No. 2
-Nocturne in E-Flat Major Op. 55 No. 2
-Polonaise-Fantasie Op. 63

(Intermission)

-Ballade No. 2 in F Major Op. 38
-Ballade No. 3 in A-Flat Major Op. 47
-Trois nouvelles etudes (1839)
F Major
A-Flat Major
D-Flat Major
-Ballade No. 4 in F Minor Op. 52
-Encore: Schumann Romance (Op. ?)

It was the best solo piano recital I have seen yet (although I still hopefully have a long life ahead of me to see plenty more amazing ones). His technique is strong and solid, his musical mind is wonderful, and his sense of touch and control seriously blew my mind. There was so much contrast from his p's, his pp's and ppp's. The two highlights for me were the Polonaise-Fantasie and Ballade 4.

Although he added in notes in Ballade 2 that aren't there, or at least in the Paderewsky, Henle, or the facsimile of the manuscript I've seen, I still can't complain because it's better than my playing of it! ha

After the concert, he let the audience come briefly talk to him. I was obviously in the line, eager to meet him. I saw an oriental woman standing near me, so I thought she was in line. I asked her, "Ma'am, are you in line to talk to Mr. Auer?" She replied, "No, he's actually my husband." Nobody was talking to her, so I thought, why not talk to her?

I said to her jokingly, "I wish I had my iPod on me so he could sign that, because I have some of his recordings on there." She asked me, "What recordings do you have?" I answered her, "Some Chopin, and Alkan's Cello Sonata Op. 47." She then said, "Alkan? Who's that?" I just chuckled inside and replied "One of Chopin's friends who was also a composer."

When I got to Mr. Auer, I of course expressed my gratitude for filling in for Evelyne Brancart and how wonderful his performance was. While he was signing my program, his wife asked him if he ever remembered recording a cello sonata by some composer named Alkan. He looked up and said "Oh wow! You have that recording? Oh, I remember that piece. The second movement is absolutely wonderful. You know they [Alkan and Chopin] were friends, right?" And then the next person in line came to talk to him.

Also, one of my friends expressed how she envied his amazing sense of touch. Mr. Auer just chuckled and said, "If you're jealous, then practice!" We all started laughing.

At the piano camp at I.U. last year, I watched him give a master class, and let's just say that I would rather be his student than Pressler's. Mr. Auer communicated wonderful musical ideas and insights in his master class like Pressler, and there wasn't any worry of being abused in front of everyone.

SUMMARY: Edward Auer replaced Evelyne Brancart and gave an all-Chopin (and Schumann for encore) recital, and it was very, very good. I got to talk to his wife and a little to him about his recording of Alkan's cello sonata, and he's a wonderful artist.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1463781 - 06/27/10 09:21 AM Re: Edward Auer All-Chopin (and Schumann) Recital [Re: Orange Soda King]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Sounds like you had a really great time! His program was very interesting. I like the way he played all the Ballades but not in a row the way it's sometimes done. His comment about practicing was very inspiring hopefully.

Here's a little bio I found. It's very impressive to say the least.

"Edward Auer has long been recognized as a leading interpreter of the works of Chopin. As the first American to win a prize in the prestigious International Chopin Competition in Warsaw, he has returned to Poland for well over 20 concert tours, playing in every major city and with every major orchestra.

Auer has played solo recitals and concertos in over 30 countries on five continents, collaborating with such conductors as Zubin Mehta, Charles Dutoit, Herbert Blomstedt, Sergiu Comissiona and Riccardo Chailly.

Auer grew up in Los Angeles, where he studied piano with Aube Tzerko, a protégé of Artur Schnabel, and composition with Leonard Stein, a Schoenberg student. A precocious chamber musician and the son of an accomplished amateur violist, he was playing the Mozart piano quartets and the Schumann quintet with his father and his friends at the ripe old age of eight. He won several competitions in the Los Angeles area, and frequently appeared in concerts there, both as soloist and in chamber music.

Auer’s studies continued at the Juilliard School with Rosina Lhévinne and in Paris on a Fulbright Grant under Julius Katchen. Besides the Chopin Competition, Auer was a prizewinner in the Tchaikovsky Competition in Moscow, the Beethoven competition in Vienna and the Queen Elisabeth in Brussels, and took First Prize in the Concours Marguerite Long in Paris. Now, years later, these and other contests regularly invite him to be on their juries.

For two years now, Mr. Auer has been at work on an ambitious series of recordings of the works of Chopin, to celebrate that composer’s 2010 bicentennial. As currently projected it will consist of at least eight volumes. The first, Chopin Nocturnes Volume 1, was released to great acclaim and a dazzling review from New York Concert Review’s Harris Goldsmith.

Edward Auer is on the Piano faculty at Indiana University Bloomington."

Edited by pianoloverus (06/28/10 06:44 AM)

#1464012 - 06/27/10 06:57 PM Re: Edward Auer All-Chopin (and Schumann) Recital [Re: pianoloverus]
John Joe Townley Offline

I remember hearing Auer perform the little known Hiller F-sharp minor Concerto way back in the sixties in Los Angeles. Interesting that it only really survives because of an out-of-print Schirmer two-piano score and a couple of recordings, one of which is on YouTube played by Ponti. It's a nice concerto.

#1464199 - 06/28/10 06:19 AM Re: Edward Auer All-Chopin (and Schumann) Recital [Re: John Joe Townley]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

It's good to know he's still playing, and playing well. It is too bad that his wife didn't know about Alkan (she's a pianist, too) or of his pioneering recording of the cello sonata. Maybe you piqued her curiosity - I bet they talked about this mysterious recording she didn't know about on the way home.

#1464202 - 06/28/10 06:38 AM Re: Edward Auer All-Chopin (and Schumann) Recital [Re: wr]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Hehe, and then maybe he's going to plan to perform it sometime in 2013. smile

Oh well... I'm interested in his eight-volume set of Chopin! I'm sure it's just as wonderful (or more) than the performance I heard the other night!

Oh, pianoloverus... I didn't even notice all four Ballades were programed because they weren't in consecutive order! Wow, how unobservant I am. ha

#1464229 - 06/28/10 08:29 AM Re: Edward Auer All-Chopin (and Schumann) Recital [Re: Orange Soda King]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
Sounds like a great evening of music. Lucky you!

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
156 registered (Almaviva, ando, adanepst, 49 invisible), 1547 Guests and 45 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153496 Topics
2249292 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Teaching memorization
by clarikeys
Today at 07:45 AM
Accepted Procedure for Having a Piano Tech look at a piano?
by Paul678
Today at 07:19 AM
Tips for playing a piece through
by Hemmingway
Today at 06:40 AM
Temperature and tuning
by Beemer
Today at 04:46 AM
Tired Fingers
by adanepst
Today at 01:45 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission