Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
157 registered (accordeur, Anne'sson, ABC Vermonter, Anita Potter, activee, 40 invisible), 1697 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1464348 - 06/28/10 01:03 PM Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE
abcdefgh Offline

LINK

This is fascinating, she has a live stream of her practicing all this week.

Her usual 14 hours a day will be broadcast live!

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1464349 - 06/28/10 01:06 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: abcdefgh]
GeorgeB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Amazing

#1464356 - 06/28/10 01:24 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: GeorgeB]
JGonzalezGUS Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Wow! Thanks for posting. I always wondered HOW great ones practice!

#1464365 - 06/28/10 01:35 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: GeorgeB]
beet31425 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Thank you *so much* for this link. I've never seen anything like it, and I find it so entertaining and informative. This is one of my favorite internet things, ever.

-J
Schubert Immersion: Bb Impromptu; C# minor and Ab Moments Musicaux; accompanying four songs (Suleika II, Rastlose Liebe, Du Liebst Mich Nicht, Im Fruhling); listening intensely to Die Schöne Müllerin and Winterreise

Chopin: first Ballade; Mozart: D minor concerto;

#1464367 - 06/28/10 01:37 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: JGonzalezGUS]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
This is really cool!

She practices a lot different than I do - in the video I don't see any beer around whatsoever.

#1464369 - 06/28/10 01:42 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: beet31425]
Mattardo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

All I keep thinking is: "Finish the piece already! And...stop mumbling to yourself..."

It's interesting, though. Not many people would feel comfortable being filmed like that, especially with people like me making silly comments the whole time.

It's too bad I had to keep clicking the X Button to get rid of those damned advertisements. Why does it seem that every single video site forces you to watch commercials? If they can't afford the site by putting them on the left and right, like every other single site in the world, they need to find a new and less annoying way.

#1464377 - 06/28/10 01:49 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: BenPiano]
John Joe Townley Offline

You say one week. Will she take it down at the end of the week? If we e-mail her en mass and beg her to leave it up maybe she will.

#1464385 - 06/28/10 01:58 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: John Joe Townley]
ChibiSF Offline

Loc: Long Island, New York
Between work, school, and generally trying to be a normal 24 year old, if I get 14 hours of practice throughout the week, I'm happy. 13-14 hours a day, wow.

#1464450 - 06/28/10 03:37 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: ChibiSF]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
Fascinating....

Perfection even in practicing.

#1464531 - 06/28/10 05:58 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: lilylady]
beet31425 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
What is that... thing in her piano? Some kind of... rug?

-J
Schubert Immersion: Bb Impromptu; C# minor and Ab Moments Musicaux; accompanying four songs (Suleika II, Rastlose Liebe, Du Liebst Mich Nicht, Im Fruhling); listening intensely to Die Schöne Müllerin and Winterreise

Chopin: first Ballade; Mozart: D minor concerto;

#1464572 - 06/28/10 06:54 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: abcdefgh]
MikeN Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio
From what I've seen I don't like the way she practices. It leaves to much room for mistakes in my opinion.

#1464603 - 06/28/10 07:48 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: MikeN]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Originally Posted By: MikeN
From what I've seen I don't like the way she practices. It leaves to much room for mistakes in my opinion.

LOL

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1464607 - 06/28/10 07:53 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: stores]
gooddog Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Her hands look extremely relaxed. Isn't she sitting a little low?

Deborah

#1464609 - 06/28/10 07:59 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: gooddog]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Is that pillow thing meant to dampen the sound to protect her ears?
Franck - Violin Sonata

#1464613 - 06/28/10 08:02 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: MikeN]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area

Are you serious?

#1464617 - 06/28/10 08:16 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: MikeN]
chopinizmyhomeboy Offline

It's your opinion on whether you like a practice style or not; however, I think she is certainly doing a darn wonderful job (in her peformances) with that practice style you don't like lol grin.

#1464620 - 06/28/10 08:38 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: BenPiano]

Originally Posted By: BenPiano
This is really cool!

She practices a lot different than I do - in the video I don't see any beer around whatsoever.

lol grin

#1464660 - 06/28/10 10:13 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: chopinizmyhomeboy]
MikeN Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio
Well yea, because it works for her.

I didn't say she was practicing badly. I just said I personally do not like the style, and I wouldn't adopt it for myself.

What did you expect me to do, worship the ground that the great Valentina Lisitsa walks on. To me that's far more laughable than my personal comment. Seems some people are blind to the fact that their watching flesh and blood, talented flesh and blood, but flesh and blood none the less.

#1464675 - 06/28/10 10:43 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: MikeN]
whatevsyo Offline

This is so cool! Thanks a bunch for sharing!! It's really interesting to observe a concert pianist practicing instead of performing. And WOW! How does she go on for so long..?

#1464687 - 06/28/10 11:08 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: MikeN]
Ridicolosamente Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Miami, Florida, USA
I understand why you'd say that, but from where I stand (or sit,) I'm pretty sure she knows what she's doing... smile

-Daniel

#1464689 - 06/28/10 11:09 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: whatevsyo]
Butters109 Offline

I've checked back on this periodically throughout the day... and she's been practicing every time. True dedication.

#1464705 - 06/28/10 11:26 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: Butters109]
sarah_elizabeth Offline

Loc: Texas, U.S.
I've enjoyed watching her today. I wonder how she can practice that long without doing some sort of injury to herself... apparently the long hours don't faze her! A lot to admire in the plucky woman.

#1464706 - 06/28/10 11:26 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: abcdefgh]
MathGuy Offline

Loc: California
When I was watching Lisitsa earlier, she was practicing Chopin's E-flat waltz (Op. 18) in what to me was a surprising mode: she was playing it at pretty much full speed, but would frequently interrupt the flow to repeat a short phrase over and over - still at tempo - in the midst of it. For those who remember the LP era (or earlier), you could call it a needle-stuck-in-the-groove effect.

Up until now, I've always instinctively separated up-to-tempo playthroughs from the repetitous work of polishing rough spots, and in fact considered it a sign of immaturity to mix the two the way Lisitsa was doing (possibly because I've often heard young children play that way). However, now that I've heard a real artist do it I guess I'll have to reconsider that position.

Just out of curiosity, though, do others on the forum use this "stuck needle" practice mode?

#1464719 - 06/28/10 11:42 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: MathGuy]
sarah_elizabeth Offline

Loc: Texas, U.S.
I've done it before, but like you I prefer to separate playthroughs from segment practice. I quit the "stuck needle" method precisely because it would get stuck of its own accord at exactly the wrong moment. wink You have to use the method that works for you, though, and that way of practicing apparently works for her!

#1464732 - 06/29/10 12:04 AM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: sarah_elizabeth]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
I have to say I was inspired by this behind the scenes practice and had a fairly good (while short) practice tonight. Thanks for the peek, Val!

#1464743 - 06/29/10 12:37 AM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: whatevsyo]
Lone Starr Offline

This is really cool. Being able to chat with other viewers is also a great feature. I watched her go through the entire Chopin Op. 10 and 25 Etudes. I think she was reviewing the pieces, and not really practicing, but nonetheless was very informative. She even chatted with us after she was done playing, and answered some questions. I hope more concert pianists start doing this. =D

I need to start practicing more. blush

#1464748 - 06/29/10 12:41 AM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: BenPiano]
whatevsyo Offline

I chatted with Val and wished her goodnight! laugh

I've noticed she doesn't spend very much time on each piece. Of course, she has 55 pieces to work on...

#1464789 - 06/29/10 02:24 AM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: whatevsyo]
Sabre2552 Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
Aww, I missed the chat at the end. I watched her go through the Chopin Op. 10 etudes, though, which was a treat. I actually fell asleep to them; that's why I wasn't there at the end. :P It's refreshing to see that she's as human as each of us, and that though her skill is very refined, she has to practice as well to keep it in top condition and improve herself. It gives inspiration to me seeing a professional go through similar steps to what I go through!

#1464791 - 06/29/10 02:31 AM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: MikeN]

Well yea, because it works for her.

I didn't say she was practicing badly. I just said I personally do not like the style, and I wouldn't adopt it for myself.

What did you expect me to do, worship the ground that the great Valentina Lisitsa walks on. To me that's far more laughable than my personal comment. Seems some people are blind to the fact that their watching flesh and blood, talented flesh and blood, but flesh and blood none the less.

I understood exactly what you are saying; however, from your context of that last response you seem to be implying, from my perspective, that I overly "worship" Mrs. Lisitsa. I do not, however, I respect her and fancy some of her recordings of particular pieces. The reason why I replied to you in the first place is the fact that you left your comment a little "vague": "From what I've seen I don't like the way she practices. It leaves to much room for mistakes in my opinion." It could have been taken in any kind of way. I'm sorry I offended you or whatnot.

#1464824 - 06/29/10 04:14 AM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: MikeN]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there

Can you, perhaps, expound upon your statement?

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
is my piano tunable
by d3c0
12/22/14 05:45 PM
SSHD running VST
by daz100
12/22/14 05:01 PM
do you recommend further service?
by ShannonG
12/22/14 04:34 PM
Is this now real enough?
by Philip_Johnston
12/22/14 04:21 PM
Quick question
by Phil Greenough
12/22/14 03:51 PM
Forum Stats
77396 Members
42 Forums
160064 Topics
2350591 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission