2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 9 invisible), 1,670 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Congratulations on a superb instrument! Thanks for taking the time to share your shopping/ decision process with everyone>

Enjoy!! smile thumb thumb

Jay

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Katharine Hepburn
From one Texas Shigeru owner to another, Congratulations!
The piano and the room look fantastic.
Who built your Shigeru? Mine was built by Kawai's master piano technician, Michio Kaizuka.
I bought the 7' SK6 close to a year ago.
My Shigeru

Hamiltonian

Shigeru Kawai SK6, Hammond R124
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
David,

Congratulations on your new piano! I tried the Shigeru Kawais myself, but they were out of my price range. They were very nice!!!

tk Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
It's gorgeous! Congrats and enjoy!

tk

D
OP Offline
D
Thanks again, everyone. Hamiltonian, mine was built by the same craftsman as yours smile

Here is the picture of HIS signature, along with Mr. Kawai's. A nice touch.

[Linked Image]

By the way, notice anything different about THIS picture of the piano?
[Linked Image]

In case you can't tell, the picture in THIS piano is 5" longer. Axtremus, I'm afraid I caved in at the last moment...I went back and listened to the SK5 and decided that, while more money, I would pay on the piano a bit longer and have that extra richness in the bass. This one has the same wonderful things as the SK3, just more of them (especially in the mid to low bass). I'm afraid this is where it stops, though. No more money left frown However, this IS a happy ending, as I listen to my wife play making those wondefully rich sounds smile

David Parrish
Richardson, TX
D
OP Offline
D
I really SHOULD add one more thing: Wesley Tuttle was a WONDERFUL salesman throughout the whole thing. He made me a reasonable deal on the SK5 (as well as the SK3 initially) and graciously handled all of the redoing of the paperwork and piano moving involved.

If you are ever in the Dallas area and are looking for Shigerus, PLEASE stop by to talk with him and listen to the pianos at his showroom, which is a Mr. E's in Bedford (he's the keyboard manager for all of the Mr. E's in the area). He is knowledeable, friendly, and just a pleasure to deal with.

David Parrish
Richardson, TX
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
David:

Congratulations on your Shigeru! I played Shigerus during my piano search and they are fabulous pianos. Very responsive action, I thought. And they sound great!

I hope you enjoy your piano! :-)

Jeanne W

Music is about the heart and so should a piano be about the heart. - Pique

1920 Steinway A3
My Piano Delivery Thread:
https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/107473/1.html
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
David Parrish wrote:

Axtremus, I'm afraid I caved in at the last moment...I went back and listened to the SK5 and decided that, while more money, I would pay on the piano a bit longer and have that extra richness in the bass.
What can I say, Mr. Parrish? A wonderful turn of event! wink

According THIS CHART , <strike>we're now close cousins</strike>... uhm... I mean, our pianos are now close cousins. laugh

Congratulations, yet again, on the new piano! thumb

D
OP Offline
D
Thank you, Jeanne. I've been following your piano search and enjoying your comments. I should also congratulate you on YOUR new piano.

Best wishes on finding a good piano teacher. I'm sure there's one who's just right for your needs smile

David Parrish
Richardson, TX
D
OP Offline
D
According THIS CHART, we're now close cousins... uhm... I mean, our pianos are now close cousins.

Congratulations, yet again, on the new piano!
Axtremus,

I see what you mean! laugh

David Parrish
Richardson, TX
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Congratulations on the new Shigeru-Kauai. This is another piano I have yet to try. From all reports a great piano. Keep us posted on hoiw well it develops.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congrats from one Texan to another! That Shigeru looks great. BTW, I was organist at First Christian Church on Beltline Rd. in Richardson when I was in Grad. School.

RickG
David:
Nice upgrade to the SK-5! Congratulations. I almost bought an SK-5 first time around, but when I came back a number of months later, it was gone and in its place was an SK-6. At first I thought it was too expensive and large for my room, but after replaying everything in sight here in Houston, Austin and San Antonio, I kept coming back to the SK-6. Fortunately my local dealer was willing to let me try it for a week in my home and the rest you know.
As part of the offering on this piano, one of the Kawai master piano technicians from Japan will spend a day in your home tweaking the regulation and voicing. I have put that visit off now for almost a year and have recently made arrangements with Kawai Don for the master technician to visit in March. Will let you know my experience if you are interested.

Again, well done with the upgrade to the SK-5!

Hamiltonian

Shigeru Kawai SK6, Hammond R124
D
OP Offline
D
Hamiltonian,

Please DO let me know how the visit with Don goes and your experiences with the in-home tweaking. This really is an experience I look forward to!

David

David Parrish
Richardson, TX
congratulation, twice... smile

C
C
David,
Beautiful piano in a scrumptious-looking room! If you can break away from enjoying your new treasure, can you tell me how long the SK-5 is?

Enjoy!
cg

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. Plato
D
OP Offline
D
Classicalgirl,

I just took a break from a good bit of piano-playing smile

The SK5 is 6'6". I have it in a room that is 12' X 10", but I have two openings to the room (one rather wide to the right of the picture, which opnes up into a entryway, and another to the left of the picture, which opens into our kitchen--we have the piano in what WAS the dining room. We NOW dine in the kitchen smile ).

The SK3 which I first had is 6'1".

Are you thinking about a Shigeru?

David Parrish
Richardson, TX
Dear all, I have been gathering infomations in this forum to facilitate my piano searching for the past one month.

Congratulation to your new piano, and I like it very much, I have made an apointment with the Shigeru Kawai dealer in Hong Kong to have a test play on this marvelous piano ths weekend.

BTW, would you mind telling me the price range of the piano (SK2, SK3) so I could have some idea if the dealer is overpricing me.

Thanks in advance

D
OP Offline
D
awong,

I am very happy to hear of your interest in the Shigerus--they are really wonderful pianos.

Regarding price, feel free to PM me on this. If you have read Larry Fine's book, you know that prices vary greatly depending on the particular dealership, how much they have paid for the piano themselves, how long the piano has been sitting there, etc.

I WILL say that Larry Fine's current supplement places the prices of the SK2 and SK3 at roughly $41,000 and $47,000 US (retail).

I do remember someone posting on this board a while back who was considering a Shigeru in Singapore, and the prices there were lower than those available here. Perhaps someone else on the board can chime in regarding this?

David Parrish
Richardson, TX
David,

thank you for your informative and professional comments on all the piano you have tried. The comments are so invaluable and important to me. Your piano is really beautiful !!

Few people here know about the shigeru kawai and only two new piano (SK2,SK3) will arrive HK by end of this month. I am so excited to see their true face!

My living room size is similar to yours(13x10 ft) but the staircase can allow a 6 ft long piano only.So I could conider RX3,SK2,SK3 only.

I will tell you the price here in HK after the interview with the HK dealer later on.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission