2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 11 invisible), 1,938 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
OP Offline
J
Not sure if this topic has been done before but I thought it might be nice if each of us introduced to the audience a movement of one of our favorite "UNKNOWN" piano concertos. I've listened to many concertos by unfamiliar composers over the years. YouTube is now a veritable treasure trove of them with Hyperion's Romantic Piano Concerto Series, some 100 concertos so far and they all seem to be on YT. Here's one I've known since the early 70's. It's the last movement of the Stenhammar Piano Concerto No. 2 in d and it's so fantastic that, well you'll just have to hear for yourselves. Note from about 3:35 on how it builds into one of the most exciting conclusions I've ever heard. Great well-written music, terrific orchestration. It pauses at :15 for about 10 seconds; be patient and it will resume. Enjoy.
Fourth Movement Stenhammar Piano Concerto No 2

Last edited by John Joe Townley; 06/29/10 09:15 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Nice question!
Easy one for me:

......glad to know about Stenhammar now!

....and my #2 would be (not really "unknown" and not even a "piano" concerto, but it's not enough well-known, and I'd play it on the piano): smile

....and here's the last 2 movements by Glenn Gould (couldn't find the rest of Schiff's performance):

H
hat Offline
H
Medtner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Repertoire
John Cage: 4'33"
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Leroy Anderson laugh So unknown that a recording of it isn't even on youtube! >:O

Working On-

Deux Arabesques, Debussy

On Queue-

Danse Russe from Petroushka, Stravinsky
Toccata, Ravel

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Is Busoni's unknown enough?

Deservedly so. ha

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Bortkiewicz 1st and Medtner 2nd.

"I'm a concert pianist--that's a pretentious way of saying I'm unemployed at the moment."--Oscar Levant

http://www.youtube.com/kojiattwood
https://www.giftedmusicschool.org/
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
I feel like anything I post will be known by at least a couple other posters.

Franck's Variations Symphoniques? They used to be a lot more frequently played than they are now.

Sgambati's Concerto may be the greatest concerto to never get a widespread, or even a cult following.

Last edited by jeffreyjones; 06/29/10 10:35 PM.
Originally Posted by jeffreyjones
....Franck's Variations Symphoniques? They used to be a lot more frequently played than they are now....

You're right. I had forgotten that the piece existed.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Moszkowski has always been a favourite, though the last movement tends to be the weakest, rather a lot of sequencing, as if the composer wasn't sure where to go.

But that kind of stuff is always the give-away of a second-rate composer.

I might vote for Rimsky-Korsakov myself. I wouldn't say that the Busoni is 'unknown'; there must be a good 12 recordings (I have 7 of them), but the male chorus in the last movement surely contributes to the impracticality of programming it. (Pity, it is a glorious piece.)

The Henselt is a cool piece, though it seems to me that its difficulties are out of proportion to its musical value, IMO.

Odd that Sgambati is mentioned; would have thought that Martucci's two concertos are better written.

Going to the Brits, the Howells 1st is a very fine piece (so is the Hamilton Harty B minor), but I've always had a soft spot for the solo version of the Vaughan Williams concerto. Commentators generally pass it up, but I just love it.

Jason
Originally Posted by argerichfan
.....The Henselt is a cool piece, though it seems to me that its difficulties are out of proportion to its musical value, IMO....

I agree.
I just wish I could play it without working on it. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C

Nice question!
Easy one for me:

Henselt is great! He's too under-rated now, unfortunately.
I would put a vote for Samuel Barber's Piano Concerto - but I'm not sure if that qualifies as obscure or unknown: Barber is certainly known, but is the concerto still played? Everyone seems to focus on that Adagio-thingee he did..

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I feel like anything I post will be known by at least a couple other posters.

Yes, that's the way it is on this forum: it doesn't matter what you say, there will always be someone to disagree with you and make it appear as if you're incredibly stupid for saying it (whatever it is) in the first place ha ha!

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
....Franck's Variations Symphoniques? They used to be a lot more frequently played than they are now....

You're right. I had forgotten that the piece existed.

Except for organists -and they consider Franck second only to Bach- Franck is rather out of fashion.

What a pity. The 'Variations' are absolutely astounding to me, a precious piece of music, and one can only hope that Franck has his day again.

But maybe not. In this day and age, there is just something about his earnest, spiritually-tainted sound world which dies on the vine when taken out of a church environment. I guess this is why organists will always revere his works, and why pianists might not be comfortable playing his two tremendously engaging triptychs. At least the violin sonata holds its own in the repertoire.

Funny, though: not all of Franck's organ works were conceived for a church environment, thus adding to the mystery -no, oddity!- of it all.

Jason
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I third the Symphonic Variations. Another favorite of mine is the Saint-Saens No.1, which nobody plays. Another of my favorites that was very popular years ago but seems to have fallen out of favor is the Weber Konzertstucke. Also add Chopin Variations on "La Ci Darem La Mano." (Well not really unknown but rather underplayed, like Prok 1.)

Last edited by DameMyra; 06/30/10 12:07 AM.

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Skorpius
Leroy Anderson laugh So unknown that a recording of it isn't even on youtube! >:O
haha. But I actually heard it on the radio here the other morning - an Australian recording with pianist Simon Tedeschi.

Du holde Kunst...
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mattardo

Nice question!
Easy one for me:

Henselt is great! He's too under-rated now, unfortunately.
I would put a vote for Samuel Barber's Piano Concerto - but I'm not sure if that qualifies as obscure or unknown: Barber is certainly known, but is the concerto still played? Everyone seems to focus on that Adagio-thingee he did..

Actually, the Barber is a good choice. Not many pianists play it at all and many aren't even aware that he wrote a concerto. James Tocco, though did play it at the beginning of this last season here with the DSO, but I couldn't say when the last time was that I heard it performed.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
stores, it's a small world in music, right? James Tocco is set to perform here at Indiana University with the Schumann Toccata, the complete Chopin Preludes, and the Barber Sonata.

I'll have to check out Barber's concerto.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Wow, some really interesting stuff here. Thanks!

At times I get depressed thinking about all the really good (perhaps not geat) music that's been written that I've never heard, and in many cases, never will.

Last edited by Bart Kinlein; 06/30/10 06:56 AM.

Steinway 1905 model A, rebuild started 2008, completed 2012
Yahama CVP-401
Will somone get my wife off the Steinway so I can play it!
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
It is, Orange. He's from the area and I've known him for quite a while. If you're attending his recital I'm sure you'll enjoy it as he's an excellent pianist.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Norman Dello Joio's Fantasy and Variations, the Copland Piano Concerto, and the Moscheles concerti.

M
M
Any of Ferdinand Ries' concerti. They're all jewels.

J
OP Offline
J
Chopin got his idea for the recitative middle section of the slow movement of his 2nd piano Concerto from Ries' Piano Concerto in c#-minor, in which Ries does the exact same thing with the hands playing a unison line above tremolo strings. The only difference is Chopin did it much better.

Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
stores, it's a small world in music, right? James Tocco is set to perform here at Indiana University.....

It's even a smaller world than that. smile
Way back when I was in school, I heard this terrific Liszt Mephisto waltz being rehearsed in an empty auditorium, and went in. The guy seemed like a fellow kid, and in a way he was. He introduced himself: "My name is Tocco." smile
He was on the piano faculty there. I've gone to his concerts whenever possible ever since.

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Jo Kondo's piano concerto.

M
M
The only difference is Chopin did it much better.
I'd say that's debatable. >_>

Speaking of Chopin and Ries, if you listen to the opening theme of the Rondo from Chopin's Op. 11, you can clearly hear the opening motif from the same Ries C#-minor concerto.

Ries' orchestral fantasies and variations are also awesome.

Online Content
Brahms 3rd

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Hummel 1 and 2, Dohnanyi's variations on a nursery tune, Tchaikovsky 2 and Concertfantasy, Paderewsky, Saint-Saëns 1,3,4,5, Scriabin, Ireland, Schumann's Introduction und Allegro, d'Indy's Symphonie sur un air montagnard, Falla's Noches..., Medtner 2, Vaughan Williams, just to name a few lesser played ones, but dearly loved!

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
F
F
Hans Werner Henze's 2nd Concerto--it's a monster!

Yama B3
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
is that good or bad?

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
If it's Henze, it's most likely good. I don't actually know the concerto, but I'm quite familiar with his symphonies and all of them are wonderful.

I have an ice cream. I cannot mail it, for it will melt.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I enjoy Alkan's Concerto da Camera in A Minor Op. 10 No. 1, but it's not my favorite. Just a breath of fresh air. smile

Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Brahms 3rd

Why we're on things like this:

-Beethoven's Concerto No. 0
-The other Liszt E Flat Major concerto discovered in the 1980's

Did Brahms really write a third piano concerto?

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King

Did Brahms really write a third piano concerto?

It's an arrangement by Dejan Lazic of the violin concerto. The recording has been reviewed, but I haven't heard it.

Jason
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
like Beethoven's '6th', the violin, mwah..

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato
like Beethoven's '6th', the violin, mwah..

Wasn't it Clementi who commissioned Beethoven to (freely) arrange it?

Beethoven may have welcomed the money, but he sure as heck didn't waste any time (with the exception of the cadenza) on the project. I've never figured it out... and I've never been able to stomach it.

Jason
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
neither have I, and shall, BTW, did you here that, wait, what's the right word, let's say awesome...transcription of Alkan's op.39 8/10 études, also known as the Concerto, by Klindworth, it was on Youtube, a travesty, so funny, that one has to weep...

F
F
is that good or bad?

Oh, it's good, very good. Not too many play it (Henze 2nd) due to the extreme technical difficulty, not to mention it's a 50 minute 12-tone piece!

Last edited by Fugue14; 06/30/10 09:56 PM.

Yama B3
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
neither have I, and shall, BTW, did you here that, wait, what's the right word, let's say awesome...transcription of Alkan's op.39 8/10 études, also known as the Concerto, by Klindworth, it was on Youtube, a travesty, so funny, that one has to weep...

Yeah. It deviates from the original, but another conductor of this age named Mark Starr has also orchestrated the entire concerto, and I would like to hear it. Maybe it's better than Klindworth's.

Either way, Alkan (at least somewhat) approved of Klindworth's. wink

I knew Mark Starr when he was conductor of the orchestra at U. Wisc. - Milwaukee for a couple of years.
Not really name-dropping, just letting you know that he's an actual real person. ha

Here he is in his younger days:

[Linked Image]

(He's the one on the left.)

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Dang! It really IS a small world!

BTW I'm not going to be able to see Tocco... his performance is after the piano camp, and I'll be at Niagara Falls with the family.

(please see the edit) smile

BTW.....Tocco and Starr were at that same place at the same time (and did some performing together). Milwaukee had a pretty neat music faculty.

R
R
I haven't listen to many of the ones mentioned (unknown concertos) but I have always liked Khachaturian's Concerto in D flat major smile It's quite unique.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Rach3PianoS139
I haven't listen to many of the ones mentioned (unknown concertos) but I have always liked Khachaturian's Concerto in D flat major smile It's quite unique.

I admit, I've always had a soft spot for that delightfully overblown concerto. The second movement is rather stunning.

BTW, if you like Khachaturian, and are willing to follow this gloriously unsubtle composer into areas that are so completely over-the-top then by all means check out his 3rd Symphony. It's a positively ghastly piece of music -complete with a very busy organ part- but if you get on K's wavelength, you're going to say oh yeah, bring it on!

Jason
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

I'll agree with the 'travesty' part, and I guess I had to 'weep', but alas, the humour of it passed me by. wink

Orchestrations of Chopin have never appealed to me, and it's all the more a commemoration of the genius of Chopin in that his music so stubbornly resists transcription (songs excepted). Perhaps with the Alkan Concerto there is a bit more leeway -and therefore more temptation to tinker- but Klindworth's arrangement doesn't convince me that Alkan didn't know exactly what he was up to in casting this remarkable concerto for solo piano.

Jason
J
OP Offline
J
Is that one of his students (the one on the right with the stars in her eyes) hanging onto him?

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
I guess the ones that first ones crossed my mind - concertos by Persichetti, Chavez, and Hakola - really are unknown, because not a one was on YouTube. And it has gotten to where if it isn't on YouTube, you begin to wonder if it even exists. smile

But there are so many more possibilities, I knew I would hit one eventually, and sure enough, Per Nørgård's marvelous Concerto in Two Tempi is there. Although the idiom might take a bit of time to sink in, it is one of those pieces that keeps getting better the more you listen to it (which is true of most of Nørgård's music, I think).

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Schnittke Concerto for piano and strings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9DEfeU1lis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFZZw368lw4&
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=487594W0dq4&NR=1

It's EXCELLENT and actually not too difficult to perform!

Wife smile

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Say what now? laugh

I guess conducting is sexy. ha

J
OP Offline
J
I don't usually see wives look that lovingly at their husbands. Usually I see daggers.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I guess conducting is sexy. ha

I will refrain from making a joke about the size of one's baton.
wink

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission