2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
28 members (APianistHasNoName, crab89, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, 9 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Sort of like the doctor only cares about making money, the engineer only cares about making money, the .....

As though the human ego can be reduced to that. No one cares about the quality of their work, or about how others perceive it (and us)?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Originally Posted by hippymusicman
the reality is the teachers are there for one reason, to make money, they fulfill tasks designed by the superior. They lose the ability to care about each child's education and focus more on the children getting good grades. And don't get me started on GRADES... In my opinion they usually teach the kids exactly how to pass exams. and no more.
[Linked Image]

There are so many things wrong with your post, I don't know where to begin. You do not grasp the complexity of the issues in education. Your statement on "GRADES" is baseless and completely misguided. While I cannot promise that ALL teachers care about their students ALL the time, I can never defend someone who claims that teachers only care about making money--that statement alone is wrong on so many levels!!

AZN, I'm not saying what you said is wrong, but I believe hippymusicman was talking about the teachers he has encountered in the school system he is teaching in now. And that may be different from what you have experienced. He even said that the teachers here didn't seem to fit that bill.

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
i found your post interesting.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by Ben Crosland

Step 1 - Put down the instrument.

This is the bit that really cracks me up - you post this in a teacher's forum?? I can only begin to imagine how many music teachers would read that and think "yeah, right - be nice if they'd actually picked up their instrument once in a while!" grin

It's a twisted situation I know! but the question teachers should ask themselves is "why .. do the students not WANT to pick up the instrument?" Has it become a chore?

The idea for me is .. introduce it as FUN.. then show the student THE VALUE OF LEARNING AN INSTRUMENT.. Then you wont need to tell them to pick up the instrument. They'll just grab it. well my students seem to anyway.

... such a vital organ
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
No one has mentioned the elephant in this particular room: a bit hard to put down a piano!!!

Teacher, Composer, Writer, Speaker
Working with Hal Leonard, Alfred, Faber, and Australian Music Examination Board
Music in syllabuses by ABRSM, AMEB, Trinity Guildhall, ANZCA, NZMEB, and more
www.elissamilne.wordpress.com
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Elissa Milne
No one has mentioned the elephant in this particular room: a bit hard to put down a piano!!!
Piece of cake compared to picking it up...

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Little_Blue_Engine
HAHAHA!!!!!

Originally Posted by Little_Blue_Engine
In fact! Putting it down is an eccentric muscle contraction - they handle far heavier loads.

introduce it as FUN..

Wow!!!
They are right ... you really are a genius after all !!!!
grin

B
B
Originally Posted by Ejay
introduce it as FUN..

Wow!!!
They are right ... you really are a genius after all !!!!
grin

I know! If only someone had suggested this to me in capital letters 23 years ago, it might have saved my poor students from all that torture I forced them to endure! Maybe more people would be labelling me a genius by now!!11!

Yeh, learning is fun! Thanks for passing that little nugget on.

W
W
What you have described sounds more like "reasonable fluency" than "genius".

To those not accustomed to being around competent musicians, that kind of fluency seems like magic, and they'll use words like "genius". I know it seemed like magic to me once.

Fluent emotional expression through music is wonderful! And I have to agree that this aspect of music is under-nurtured in schools.

I don't mean to be discouraging, but from this and your other posts I have the feeling that you don't realize how good the really good musicians actually are. I'm not talking about the Mozarts and the Coltranes, but more like the run-of-the-mill working jazz musician in New York City. It's great that you can pick up a new instrument and find joy in it - that's my hobby too. But don't compare your abilities to the people who have been working on it for a couple years; measure them by the standards of the professionals in New York City, and you will be elevated.

H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by wavelength
To those not accustomed to being around competent musicians, that kind of fluency seems like magic, and they'll use words like "genius". I know it seemed like magic to me once.

I don't mean to be discouraging, but from this and your other posts I have the feeling that you don't realize how good the really good musicians actually are. I'm not talking about the Mozarts and the Coltranes, but more like the run-of-the-mill working jazz musician in New York City. It's great that you can pick up a new instrument and find joy in it - that's my hobby too. But don't compare your abilities to the people who have been working on it for a couple years; measure them by the standards of the professionals in New York City, and you will be elevated.

Thanks for you post. I agree wholeheartedly!
And I am not easily discouraged, but thanks for your concern.

It's not that I don't understand there are people out there who are (as you said) "better" than me...

I just find the use of terms like "better musician" "great musician" "genius musician" are all terms we use to satisfy ourselves. If you believe you are "better" than someone else at music then that can satisfy something.. but that satisfaction is usually very shallow. I find that this kind of satisfaction gets further away as you get closer. I believe everyone is on a never ending quest to satisfy themselves.

I don't like to have a rating system. Because a rating system holds no purpose. In my mind, nobody is better than anybody. Everybody is as they are.

By the same token, I don't strive to be "better" or "great" I just love what I'm doing and that causes me to get "better" (whatever that means) .

... such a vital organ
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
HM ... the more you write, the more I like you!

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
hippymusicman, this whole thread is dedicated to you explaining what makes you a better musician than other people!!! Unless I'm horribly mistaken your opening thread sought to explain what it is about you that makes other people call you a genius, and you were seeking to elucidate others as to how they also could attain the label of 'genius'. Am I horribly mistaken?!

Originally Posted by eweiss
HM ... the more you write, the more I like you!
Don't mistake ego incontinence for genius - you've done it before.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
I think it is more important to know how to lose your inhibitions at the piano, at least the ones that impact performance negatively. I'm exploring this concept by performing for different people.

I also wonder, should I perform TO my audience or should I get wrapped up in my inner world and make them do the work of appreciating that?

One of my problems when performing is I'll think, "Gee, I really got that note perfectly" and then right after that my mind will go blank.

To the OP, what about music that isn't all that emotional by nature, for instance a Bach Sinfonia?

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Candywoman
what about music that isn't all that emotional by nature, for instance a Bach Sinfonia?

???? Bach Sinfonia, not emotional ????

But I must admit, there are quite a few clunkers in that set.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Yeah, I must say, I find Bach Sinfonias to be the essence of emotion..... Hmmmm......

Further, please keep some of your inhibitions intact - clothes on, blaspheming to a minimum, that kind of thing.

H
OP Offline
H
hippymusicman, this whole thread is dedicated to you explaining what makes you a better musician than other people!!! Unless I'm horribly mistaken your opening thread sought to explain what it is about you that makes other people call you a genius, and you were seeking to elucidate others as to how they also could attain the label of 'genius'. Am I horribly mistaken?!

I want people to attempt to attain the label 'genius' so they can understand that the word really means nothing, labels mean nothing, ranking systems mean nothing. There is no need for any use of the phrases 'better' 'musical genius' 'great musicians' besides trying to fulfill something inside of you.

Labels do not fill the inner holes..
they fill the external holes for a moment, in the same way buying a new car fills external holes. The next week, the feeling is gone and suddenly your mind is on the next thing..

... such a vital organ
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission