Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1466255 - 07/01/10 09:53 AM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: JGonzalezGUS]
Ridicolosamente Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Miami, Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: JGonzalezGUS
Yes, debrucey. You are right. That music is not new to her. I happen to have the DVD blush I just un-earthed it after your comment reminded me of it (Black and Pink - Liszt Don Juan the best in it in my opinion).
What threw me before was the comment (I know I read it correctly) that she had never owned the Chopin Op.2 score.
She's been playing the Chopin Op 2 since at least the late 90s, so it's definitely not new or unfamiliar to her.

-Daniel

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1466328 - 07/01/10 11:49 AM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: Ridicolosamente]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
Her energy, focus, capacity, and endurance during those practice sessions is unlike anything I could imagine.

Not only is it an inspiration for me to practice with greater focus, but what a joy it is to watch and listen to such a gifted pianist play all those pieces. Look forward to a time when she comes to Denver!

Glen

March piano audio
https://app.box.com/s/evl3yyp1kj52ve8l069u

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#1466410 - 07/01/10 01:49 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: Jamerz]
RonaldSteinway Offline
1000 Post Club Member

No wonder she is so good. Since I came to the office, I turned on her practicing website. I have been working more than 4 hours, and she is still practicing....

This is the way to improve!!

#1466520 - 07/01/10 04:24 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: RonaldSteinway]
ABC Vermonter Offline

Originally Posted By: RonaldSteinway
No wonder she is so good. Since I came to the office, I turned on her practicing website. I have been working more than 4 hours, and she is still practicing....

This is the way to improve!!

There is no reason for me to doubt that this is the way "for her" to improve. But I think one needs to be a bit more careful about generalizing it. At least, according to his one of his DVDs, Hamelin would spend some time just walking and thinking about his music. Or, Richter stated that he would almost never practice more than 3 hours each day.

#1466541 - 07/01/10 04:43 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: ABC Vermonter]
jazzyprof Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Originally Posted By: ABC Vermonter
Or, Richter stated that he would almost never practice more than 3 hours each day.

But Richter was no ordinary mortal.

#1466578 - 07/01/10 05:50 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: jazzyprof]
ABC Vermonter Offline

Originally Posted By: jazzyprof
Originally Posted By: ABC Vermonter
Or, Richter stated that he would almost never practice more than 3 hours each day.

But Richter was no ordinary mortal.

I am not going to assume that she is ordinary mortal. If both she and Richter are no ordinary mortal, there seems to be a difference in their attitudes toward practice time.

#1466811 - 07/02/10 03:22 AM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: ABC Vermonter]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
Richter said that but apparently Nina Dorliak said different.
Esa-Pekka Salonen - Dichotomie
Kevin Oldham - Ballade, Op. 17

#1466819 - 07/02/10 03:54 AM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: debrucey]
MikeN Offline

Loc: Ohio
Considering Richter, I believe Nina.

#1466826 - 07/02/10 04:12 AM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: MikeN]
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Edinburgh
Originally Posted By: MikeN
Considering Richter, I believe Nina.

Definately smile In his DVD he mentions the 3hrs thing, then the interview cuts to her laughing at that quote and doesn't she mention that he did '8-9hrs'? Then the camera cuts back to Richter and he then has to concede:

"...well, sometimes... if I had to learn something at short notice".

So from that, I would believe Nina also!

#1467028 - 07/02/10 12:56 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: Euan Morrison]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Her technique is fluid and relaxed but does anyone else find her dynamics rather flat?

Deborah

#1467032 - 07/02/10 01:00 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: gooddog]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: gooddog
Her technique is fluid and relaxed but does anyone else find her dynamics rather flat?

I would venture to guess that that is an artifact of the compressed internet stream. wink

#1467051 - 07/02/10 01:24 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: Horowitzian]
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: Horowitzian

I would venture to guess that that is an artifact of the compressed internet stream. wink

I think you are right. Last night I compared a video I posted on youtube with the original file I have, the one on youtube clearly does not sound as good as the original file.

#1467081 - 07/02/10 02:38 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: gooddog]
beet31425 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA

Also, she *is* practicing. She's making music out of it, of course, but maybe there's a layer of expression that she's holding back on, at least for some of the session.

Still the coolest and most illuminating thing I've seen online in years.

-Jason

#1467094 - 07/02/10 03:25 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: gooddog]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north

She is PRACTICING, not performing.

I find it all very intriquing.

PL, last nite she verified your note on all three being used in her playing at the same time - in a chat session at midnight.

#1467098 - 07/02/10 03:30 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: lilylady]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
Such a gift this is... Astonishing!

Glen

March piano audio
https://app.box.com/s/evl3yyp1kj52ve8l069u

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#1467506 - 07/03/10 09:33 AM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: gooddog]
cscl Offline

Loc: Suburban Boston
Last weekend for this, don't miss it if you haven't seen it already. Last two days!

#1468024 - 07/04/10 09:36 AM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: abcdefgh]
Arabesque Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Japan
I also think anyone can set up this kind of thing. Nice piece of furniture at the moment and as I'm going to bed too, that's fine by me.

#1468032 - 07/04/10 09:51 AM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: Arabesque]
EJR Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bristol, UK
This was very inspirational. One thing I found interesting was Val's explanation for the big cussion on top of the piano - to protect her from broken strings - apparently she broke 15 learning Prok second. I was guessing she probably slept there!

I wonder how many others at her level do 12 hours+ practice (but just don't admit it)..

Edited by EJR (07/04/10 09:52 AM)

Daily ramblings....

#1468060 - 07/04/10 10:43 AM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: EJR]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Originally Posted By: EJR
I wonder how many others at her level do 12 hours+ practice (but just don't admit it)..

Most of them.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1468300 - 07/04/10 06:36 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: EJR]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: EJR

Maybe that's the definition of her level. The ones above that level don't need to.

Didn't Chopin say that more than 3-4 hours was useless and harmful? Not that his is the only word on the matter, but I really don't think that many of the top level pianists go in for that kind of grueling schedule unless it is some kind of extraordinary situation, and then they only do it for a short period. At least that's the impression I get from the ones I've known, and from reading what various top pianists and teachers have to say about practice.

To my ear, Lisitsa's YouTube performances (I've never heard her live) have an oddly mechanized quality that can come from over-practice, and I don't think it does much for the music.

#1468596 - 07/05/10 11:58 AM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: John_B]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: John_B
About the 55 pieces that VL is working up.

Out of curiosity I checked on the concert schedule for Mitsuko Uchida (available on her website). She is performing a total of 21 pieces (including concertos and chamber works) during the period from May of this year to February 2011.

Often she will work up one programme (with a few alternative pieces) and then tour with it.

This seems far more 'sensible' (not that I am in anything like a position to judge). But then Uchida is a tremendously respected performer and draws large audiences where ever she plays, so she can set her own terms.

I heard once from an acquaintance who works in the music "industry" that many rising pianists learn and maintain vast amounts of repertoire so as to be able to jump in as replacement for a more prominent artist. Often this affords them a great opportunity for future bookings if things go well. Apparently organizers at large venues favor minimizing additional disruptions to the program and prefer to replace their canceled artist by either an equally famous pianist or a more obscure one who would stick to the announced program.
I don't know how universally true that is or if it even applies to Ms Lisistsa's 55 pieces. But nobody plans to perform that many different pieces in a single year, to my knowledge (and I often scour concert schedules )..

#1468605 - 07/05/10 12:31 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: Andromaque]
jdhampton924 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Evansville, Indiana
She probably does plan to perform that many pieces in a year, some pianists like to have many different programs.

Remember when the rolling stones said during one tour no two concerts would have the same set. Though, it is probably difficult to maintain that number of pieces, hence the crazy practice schedule. Or maybe the opportunities to practice won't be there on the road.

I do not think it speaks to how good or bad she is as a pianist, we all see how good she is, and it is up to each of us to form our own opinion of that. How she maintains that in the end is her own business.

My own personal opinion was I did not like watching someone else practice. Two things go through my head, first and foremost, why am I not practicing? The second is I sometimes feel that it is simular to the magician who reveals how to do his tricks, it takes away more in the end. It takes away of the amazment I have of the performer. This is still true, despite me knowing how to practice, or at least know a way that has worked for me. Each pianist is unique and brings something new to the table, something to be amazed of.

#1468647 - 07/05/10 01:56 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: jdhampton924]
Numerian Offline
1000 Post Club Member

There is something missing here. Her performances are much more musical and nuanced than these practices, which tells me these are really efforts to maintain note-perfect performances and maintain a memory of these pieces. Where does she get the time, then, to work on the music? It just doesn't appear magically after doing 14 hours of practice like this every day.

#1468683 - 07/05/10 03:17 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: Numerian]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Agree with Numerian. I remember reading somewhere (and being told by my teacher) that Neuhaus often recommended that his students visit museums, read world literature, music history etc so as to enrich their artistry. At some point, there has to be more than note readiness. I am not saying Lisitsa does not seek to enrich her artistic side. I simply do not know much about her, but surely occupying oneself with this practice for 14 hours a day leaves little time for much else.

I also wonder when does a performing pianist really put together a piece, ie architecture, tempo modulation and other nuances. Does it simply occur at the time of performance or does she /he "plan" it or study it ahead of time? Or, as is more liekly the case, does it vary among pianists?

#1468693 - 07/05/10 03:35 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: Andromaque]
Crit Offline

Loc: North Carolina, US
She mentioned in a chat session after one of her practices that she likes to read; in fact she likes to read history. Maybe influence of Neuhaus.

#1468718 - 07/05/10 04:17 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: Crit]
PianonaiP Offline

Loc: Central PA
After that much practice and complete technical mastery of the pieces she is playing, all that is left to focus on in concert is the musicality of the piece.

#1468719 - 07/05/10 04:18 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: Crit]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
Perhaps when ones technique is as formidable as Lisitsa's and one's memory as prodigious, its far easier for one to be spontaneously musical.
Esa-Pekka Salonen - Dichotomie
Kevin Oldham - Ballade, Op. 17

#1468744 - 07/05/10 04:47 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: debrucey]
Damon Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Once you can play the notes with the speed, dynamics, and accuracy that you want, the musicality should be easy (not to mention, subjective).

#1468783 - 07/05/10 05:32 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: debrucey]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Originally Posted By: debrucey
Perhaps when ones technique is as formidable as Lisitsa's and one's memory as prodigious, its far easier for one to be spontaneously musical.

Yes. And furthermore, this was only one week. I don't think we can assume that every week for her is like this one. I'm sure she will have plenty of time on airplanes and in hotel rooms to practice away from the score and work on the things that aren't physical.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1469319 - 07/06/10 02:49 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa in Practice.... LIVE [Re: Kreisler]
euler Offline

Loc: NYC, USA
Was anyone else surprised by the level of (un)readiness of Brahms PC2, given that she'll be performing it in 1 week? It's amazing to me how quickly someone like that can bring up a piece to performance level. I know she's played it in the past, but from her schedule it looks like the first performance of the piece in 2010.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
143 registered (ADWyatt, Almaviva, 36251, AmateurBob, 41 invisible), 1727 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74270 Members
42 Forums
153629 Topics
2251683 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
CA95 noisy front rail
by lolatu
04/21/14 10:57 AM
It's not so simple as the 10,000 hour rule.
by Brad Hoehne
04/21/14 10:43 AM
Day brightener
by Chuck Behm
04/21/14 10:09 AM
Paris Atelier
by Beemer
04/21/14 09:20 AM
Lubricious Whippen Cushions
by Grotriman
04/21/14 09:12 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission