Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1466341 - 07/01/10 12:07 PM Please help! CA63 or Celviano AP-6
photo-pro-123 Offline

Hello everybody,

Thanks for your help in finding a good practice DP--really great forum here. I have narrowed it down to two models--the Kawai CA63 or Casio AP-6 (which is a dressed up AP620 I believe). No stores around me have either, but I have read great reviews of both. I will be mostly using a headphone or moderate volumes of the speaker.

The key action is important to me--that is how realistic it feels to an acoustic.

Price is important as well, but if the Kawai is that much better, I will shell out for it. The difference between the AP-6 and Kawai is about $1000.

So, for those who have had experience between the two, any recommendations? For those who have either, any regrets?

Thanks,

Joe

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Click Here

#1466801 - 07/02/10 02:48 AM Re: Please help! CA63 or Celviano AP-6 [Re: photo-pro-123]
TADutchman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Just to challenge the discussion, because there has not been any response yet: shocked

I guess it boils down to choosing between Top A-brand Kawai including full support and improving B-brand Casio.

#1466803 - 07/02/10 02:52 AM Re: Please help! CA63 or Celviano AP-6 [Re: TADutchman]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Casio is widely recognized as the "value for money" brand and could be an excellent choice for a beginning student. The actions on Casio are widely reported to have improved dramatically over the past few years. The action on the Kawais -- at least the top of the line models such as the CA63 -- are considered to be the best in the business (without having to spend $10k on a real grand keyboard such as in a Yamaha AvantGrand) and are a delight to play.

Digital pianos are improving rapidly. It is likely that you will be tempted to upgrade to a new model within 3 years. $1000 will buy as much as 20-30 hours of quality piano lessons or can turn into a $1500 down payment on a more state of the art instrument in 3-4 years...

Edited by theJourney (07/02/10 02:55 AM)

#1466809 - 07/02/10 03:17 AM Re: Please help! CA63 or Celviano AP-6 [Re: theJourney]
TADutchman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: theJourney
It is likely that you will be tempted to upgrade to a new model within 3 years.

I don't think so in case you buy a top action DP. Great action lasts a very long time, but from a historical point of view, it is to be expected that any DP sound engine will age. Therefore, i.m.h.o. it is very important that a DP such as the CA63 also has excellent connectivity, making it more futureproof.

#1466820 - 07/02/10 03:57 AM Re: Please help! CA63 or Celviano AP-6 [Re: photo-pro-123]
10_lame_fingers Offline

Loc: Düsseldorf / Germany
Hi photo-pro-123,

I was in the middle of the same decision and narrowed down to the same two pianos (except that the Casio AP 620 was the choice) I have described my decision making process here:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...tml#Post1455668

In Europe the Casio are not as low-priced as in the USA, therefore the difference is smaller. The Casio AP-6 is about 450 EUR more expensive than the Casio AP 620, that would have made about 1800 EUR. Personally, I do not think that the agio for the polish is not worth it. Taking into account that I was quoted the Kawai CA 63 for 2100 EUR, I would have opted for the Kawai, because it was the better piano IMHO.

However, my choice was between Casio AP-620 (which still looks good, although not polished) for 1400 EUR and Kawai CA 63 for 2100 EUR. Then I opted for the Casio, which is also an excellent piano and for me it was the better buy.

Hope, that might help.

#1466865 - 07/02/10 06:54 AM Re: Please help! CA63 or Celviano AP-6 [Re: TADutchman]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: TADutchman

I don't think so in case you buy a top action DP. Great action lasts a very long time, but from a historical point of view, it is to be expected that any DP sound engine will age. Therefore, i.m.h.o. it is very important that a DP such as the CA63 also has excellent connectivity, making it more futureproof.

Get back to us after 3 years...

#1466882 - 07/02/10 08:02 AM Re: Please help! CA63 or Celviano AP-6 [Re: theJourney]
TADutchman Offline
500 Post Club Member

I don't think so, I'm available anytime, so to speak and my ancient Yamaha PSR6700 and comparatively modern Technics sx-P50 are still up and running (no need to add them to the gear list anymore though).
You can see that my keyboard gear life cycle is more than 10 years grin

#1467096 - 07/02/10 03:26 PM Re: Please help! CA63 or Celviano AP-6 [Re: 10_lame_fingers]
photo-pro-123 Offline

Thank you so much for your reply--all of you! This has been a great community of players. Anyway, I decided to go with the casio. There would be a $1300 difference between the AP6 and the CA63 from where I would have gotten them from.

Any recs on headphones? I was looking at the ATH M50?

Joe

#1467341 - 07/03/10 12:47 AM Re: Please help! CA63 or Celviano AP-6 [Re: TADutchman]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I don't think so, I'm available anytime, so to speak and my ancient Yamaha PSR6700 and comparatively modern Technics sx-P50 are still up and running (no need to add them to the gear list anymore though).
You can see that my keyboard gear life cycle is more than 10 years grin

Cool. A few of us should get together and start a museum! ha.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
131 registered (Abby Pianoman, A Guy, 36251, 49 invisible), 1493 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76039 Members
42 Forums
157220 Topics
2309165 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Question about 1975 Steinway L
by mahlers2nd
Today at 09:02 PM
Kawai ES7 v1.15 software update - now available
by Kawai James
Today at 08:43 PM
Mason & Hamlin's action vs. Kawai's Millennium III action
by ColinDS
Today at 08:32 PM
Recognising Slash chords by ear
by Visalia
Today at 06:07 PM
Hammer blow distance, dynamic range, controllability
by prout
Today at 05:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission