Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 12 of 14 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
#1506150 - 08/30/10 06:49 PM Re: Self-Teaching Support Thread [Re: Late-Starter]
BEARitone Offline

Late-Starter: To be honest it has been discussed to death. I only see posts like this as discouragement for the people who want to visit this thread.

I am loving the recommended Alfred books, I bought them on my Kindle right after they were recommended because I couldn't wait. Cheers for the advice Cathy.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1506179 - 08/30/10 07:51 PM Re: Self-Teaching Support Thread [Re: BEARitone]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
I agree - this is not a thread to discuss whether or not self teaching is a good idea, it is a "self-teaching support thread". We are already self teaching, and need a thread where we can discuss our progress - or lack of it LOL - without constantly being told that we need to get a teacher.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1506190 - 08/30/10 08:06 PM Re: Self-Teaching Support Thread [Re: BEARitone]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Originally Posted By: BEARitone
Late-Starter: To be honest it has been discussed to death. I only see posts like this as discouragement for the people who want to visit this thread.

Tedious is the word I might use laugh I've never been discouraged in my own musical journey because of them. I just keep having fun.

I was way keyed last Wednesday at jam because suddenly (she says - a little like "overnight sensation" applies to someone who's been trying to break in to the music business for 10 years) I was very loose and relaxed and the piano just "popped" in its sound - quite lively and quick. Great fun.

Cathy

#1506192 - 08/30/10 08:07 PM Re: Self-Teaching Support Thread [Re: mom3gram]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
well, i've been silently supporting this thread by not jumping in and giving advice. I really admire those who have the confidence to pursue any endeavor.

i taught myself for years.. 3+ decades really. i interviewed teachers occasionally but never wanted to engage one.

good luck everyone.

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#1506226 - 08/30/10 09:14 PM Re: Self-Teaching Support Thread [Re: apple*]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
For me, it's very mood-dependent whether I let the various "You can't progress without a teacher" posts make me feel oppressed by my entire life situation, or whether they roll off without dampening my spirits too much. Mostly I try to view it as a matter of making lemonade from life's lemons -- a matter of appreciating the freedoms that self-teaching allow me.

But there is also something much larger and deeper, the question of how one motivates tasks which are not supported by any external structure in one's life -- tasks with no accountability beyond being true to one's musical self.

Edited by tangleweeds (08/30/10 09:15 PM)
Edit Reason: grammar

neglected piano blog

#1506397 - 08/31/10 02:04 AM Re: Self-Teaching Support Thread [Re: tangleweeds]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
I think I posted before my thought was quite ripe.

I think that what I was trying to say, is that working without external structure or reward is an interesting spiritual challenge in its own right. There's nothing visibly lost to the world by my failing to persist, just the abstract positive motivator of maintaining integrity in relation to my process of musical growth.

neglected piano blog

#1506456 - 08/31/10 06:21 AM Re: Self-Teaching Support Thread [Re: tangleweeds]
moscheles001 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Northeast Pennsylvania
When life gives you lemons, just throw them at the next person who says you can't progress without a teacher.

#1506515 - 08/31/10 09:43 AM Re: Self-Teaching Support Thread [Re: moscheles001]
NocturneLover Offline

Loc: Dantooine
Lovin this thread tangleweeds.

IMO, teachers are important for kids and students looking to major in music, or perform, but for the average adult there are diminishing returns. The older one becomes, the more this should be a side hobby then something that is taken too seriously.

It is safe to assume that the older one gets, the more unlikely they will be playing in competitions in front of a panel of judges. Friends and families are usually the ones who hear us play, and mostly they are just happy to hear us playing whether it be classical or pop.

Self teaching is sufficient for an adult because this is not our priority and you can actually get a lot out of reading books, listening to recordings, etc... And I have lesson when I was younger from the ages of 7-18 and for all those years my teacher mostly corrected my posture and hands, taught me a little theory, and she would play pieces while I imitated her... then again, I had the "little old lady" piano teacher who just taught kids whose parents just wanted their kids to have fun.

#1506730 - 08/31/10 05:16 PM Re: Self-Teaching Support Thread [Re: NocturneLover]
Bradley P Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA, USA
I am self taught after 6 weeks of lessons a decade ago. I will say that high school band helped solidify the theory of music in my mind, those 6 weeks of lessons helped me learn posture and fingerings, etc.

My main method of practicing and learning is to just sit down with some new sheet music, try my hand at sight reading it, then slowly work my way through from start to finish.
By the end, I usually end up with the song memorized anyway so i can play it wherever I go (and there's a piano).

I think there is nothing wrong with self teaching, especially if it makes you happy...anyway, thats what this is about right? I get a lot of enjoyment from sitting in front of a piano a fiddling around making up chords and melodies even though I don't do it perfectly. Piano makes me happy and I don't need to be a professional to appreciate that!

P.S. I'm excited to be a part of this forum! I am amazed to see some folks with tens of thousands of posts!

-Brad

#1519552 - 09/21/10 04:29 AM Re: Self-Teaching Support Thread [Re: tangleweeds]
Krukje Offline

I thought myself to read music and play the piano. I play pretty hard pieces after 1 year. But now I take lessons once a month to get some advise on my finger positions and some techniques.

It helps a lot and I decide myself when I go to the teacher.

#1521706 - 09/24/10 09:12 AM Re: Self-Teaching Support Thread [Re: tangleweeds]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I began learning to play piano after I retired 5 years ago. I am full of music (singing, playing guitar, banjo, trumpet) so this seems to be the next (and final) step in my musical journey.

I used to jump all over the place trying to find things I could learn to play and purchased a ton of books and materials to help me learn.

I had a tendency (and still do) to practice things until I could "almost" play it. Then I would get tired of playing it and move on to something else. This has resulted in my being able to play very little from beginning to end but a ton of things at 75% completion.

I have now decided to focus on just a few pieces (5-10) and keep rotating around with those until I begin to "finish" some of them before adding any others. This seems to be working as I am now beginning to build a repertoire which I am comfortable playing at a moments notice.

As others have said, I play (and practice) because I enjoy doing it, not to arrive at some destination. I just do it for fun.

Edited by dmd (09/24/10 09:13 AM)

My current system: Kawai ES7 + Focal CMS40 Powered Monitors, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Mackie ProFX8 Mixer, Ravenscroft275, True Keys American Grand, Ivory II American Concert D, Steinway Basic, Galaxy Vintage D, True Pianos, Pianoteq, Alicia's Keys

#1534299 - 10/13/10 12:32 AM Re: Self-Teaching Support Thread [Re: tangleweeds]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
I'm self taught. No regrets.

I'd surely have learned better and more quickly if I'd had a proper teacher.

But no matter. I don't intend to become a performer. I only perform for myself. Lots of fun.

#1534385 - 10/13/10 03:54 AM Re: Self-Teaching Support Thread [Re: MacMacMac]
Una Bicicleta Offline

Originally Posted By: MacMacMac
I'm self taught. No regrets.

I'd surely have learned better and more quickly if I'd had a proper teacher.

But no matter. I don't intend to become a performer. I only perform for myself. Lots of fun.

I couldn't agree with you more! Isn't it more fun to skipping some boring lessons?

I do like to practicing Hanon, Czerny, Brahms or Burgmuller, but I don't want anybody force me to do that laugh

#1534583 - 10/13/10 11:50 AM Re: Self-Teaching Support Thread [Re: Una Bicicleta]
Cobra1365 Offline

So, I am trying to mix it up some in my pursuit.

I have Alfreds All in One.. Book 1 and some Blues books and some sheet music I downloaded from Musicnotes (great site BTW).

I am also practicing "Through The Eyes Of Love" (theme from Ice Castles). It was our wedding song and I would like to learn to play it so I can play it for my wife on our 30th next year.

What I am finding is I have trouble immediately recognizing what notes are on the upper scale. Additionally when I play what I think is the right combination of notes, it doesn't sound right. So, I have jotted notations on the score and even then, some parts sound off.

I have tried looking for videos of it, but there are so many witdh different interpretations and none that show clearly the fingerings.
Any ideas?

#1534618 - 10/13/10 12:38 PM Re: Self-Teaching Support Thread [Re: tangleweeds]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I love the theme from Ice Castles! But I haven't tried playing it other than a very simple 4 bar version in the Schaum primer a few years ago, so I can't offer any suggestions. But I'd love to hear it if you get it to a recordable version.

Oh, I'm sure you can find a chart of those upper notes online somewhere to check your score against, and then you can write in the note names of the ones you are having trouble with. Just don't let any of the teachers here know that you did that. LOL

Have fun with it!

#1534619 - 10/13/10 12:38 PM Re: Self-Teaching Support Thread [Re: tangleweeds]
nancymae Offline

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I'm joining the self teaching thread. I started learning to play piano on Xmas Day 2009, with a keyboard. I started with the Alfred Series, of which I am in Book 2. When I received my acoustic piano, I decided that I need a teacher, but due to personal conflicts which I mentioned on the Alfred thread, I have decided to quit this teacher.

I have always been a self-starter with learning. I taught myself to knit, crochet, play guitar, Irish Tin Whistle, self taught watercolorist, oil painter, so this stuff isn't new to me. It's with help like this forum, that you can achieve so much more than hammering away alone.

I will look forward to any insights and will offer my own. My first, I believe is to practice each and every day...setting up a schedule for yourself. When you do lessons, you have deadlines. Although you may not want or need to push yourself to learn certain songs, you should still have a schedule. I think my commitment to practicing each and every day has made my advancement more than anything else. Am looking forward to hearing what works for you/what doesn't!

Nancy
Finished Alfred Book 1-August 2010
Started Book 2--August 11, 2010
Alfred Favorites Book

#1534637 - 10/13/10 01:01 PM Re: Self-Teaching Support Thread [Re: tangleweeds]
Daryl Durand Offline

Loc: Missouri USA
Learning the songs you like is the key to being self taught. I like lots of types of music but it needs to have a good catchy melody.
When I was taking lessons in my younger days from a teacher the songs she picked we're terrible. It's a lot more fun to hand pick my songs to learn.

#1534638 - 10/13/10 01:01 PM Re: Self-Teaching Support Thread [Re: tangleweeds]
ladypayne Offline

Loc: AK, USA
I haven't had a teacher in about a decade or so but I still have improved a lot just by playing pieces that I enjoy. I took one piano class at college and improved a little bit but mainly on some music theory and those scales. I'm sure I've acquired all kinds of bad habits in the mean time playing by myself :p Which can be a downfall if you don't have a teacher but I still love to play and encourage anybody who wants to play, to go ahead and do so with or without a teacher. It's a wonderful hobby to have if you want to do something with your free time and it's very relaxing and a good way to clear your mind if you have a lot on it smile LOVE that PIANO!

"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -Ludwig van Beethoven

#1534642 - 10/13/10 01:05 PM Re: Self-Teaching Support Thread [Re: mom3gram]
bluebilly Offline

Loc: England
-
Self teaching Piano is different now, we have the support of this forum, if we're having difficulty we can ask here and we get good advice. I admit I'm biased, in my early teens my parents paid for me to be tutored by three different piano teachers none of whom inspired me into wanting to continue playing piano. However, there are teachers who contribute to Pianoworld who would be excellent, unfortunately none of them seem to be located in the UK, i.e., Morodiene and Betty Patnude are locate in the USA.
-

#1534650 - 10/13/10 01:17 PM Re: Self-Teaching Support Thread [Re: Daryl Durand]
ladypayne Offline

Loc: AK, USA
I definitely agree with Daryl though that playing pieces you like is the key to self teaching. I only play pieces that I enjoy and I'm also constantly playing new pieces. I'm always getting new music all the time. I get rather bored playing the same songs over and over unless I really enjoy them and I lose interest in playing rather fast. So playing pieces I like and playing new pieces is how I keep playing without losing interest!

"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -Ludwig van Beethoven

#1534746 - 10/13/10 03:29 PM Re: Self-Teaching Support Thread [Re: tangleweeds]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
This topic seems to come up a lot here on the ABF…

There seems to be two primary camps here (or schools of thought); one thinks the only way to learn to play the piano is to have a teacher. The other thinks they can learn to play the piano well enough without a teacher. At times, there seems to be just a little animosity between the two camps and that is a shame.

Nothing is completely and totally “self-taught” without the learner seeking instruction and information from somewhere. So, I agree with those here who believe we all learn from each other. I learn a lot by watching and listening to others play. Perhaps this is called “visual” and “auditory” learning styles.

I enjoy sitting down at my piano(s) and making some sort of coherent music to my ears. I like the way the keys feel to my fingers and hands. I like the way my piano sounds to me. Sometimes my music is coherent and sometimes it is not. Even the incoherent jargon that I play at times sounds good to my ears.

I usually match my style of music to my moods, not that I’m all that moody. If I really feel inspired, I’ll write a new song that has never been heard by anyone but me, unless I record it and post it on YT. Sometimes I’ll learn a new blues lick or a new intro run or a new cord just by playing around or noodling around, if you will. It’s all for the sake of fun and enjoyment and stress relief.

Sometimes my playing ability surprises me; sometimes it disappoints me. But it always makes me feel good and often brings a smile to my face and even tears on occasion.

Does any of this make any sense?

Take care,

Rick

#1534780 - 10/13/10 04:48 PM Re: Self-Teaching Support Thread [Re: Rickster]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Rickster

Does any of this make any sense?

Totally!

#1534793 - 10/13/10 05:04 PM Re: Self-Teaching Support Thread [Re: Cobra1365]
jlynne Offline

Originally Posted By: Cobra1365
I am also practicing "Through The Eyes Of Love" (theme from Ice Castles). . . .

30 years? Congrats! Here's page 1 of the version I have - if your copy is the same, I can try and help you work through it.

*** Copyrighted material deleted by moderator ***

Edited by BB Player (10/14/10 08:53 AM)
Edit Reason: Deleted copyrighted material

#1534829 - 10/13/10 06:06 PM Re: Self-Teaching Support Thread [Re: jlynne]
Cobra1365 Offline

Jlynne...yes that's it!

In the second measure of the bridge, is that a natural E or an E Sharp? I have seen it played on video both ways.

Then in the 8th measure, it has a "Fm7/Bb" how is that played?

Actually, the 7th, 8th and 9th measures all give me problems! crazy

Edited by Cobra1365 (10/13/10 06:11 PM)

#1534858 - 10/13/10 06:49 PM Re: Self-Teaching Support Thread [Re: Cobra1365]
jlynne Offline

Jlynne...yes that's it!

In the second measure of the bridge, is that a natural E or an E Sharp? I have seen it played on video both ways.

Natural E - because the key signature specifies E Flat, the little square thingy (accidental) is used to denote E Natural. The number sign accidental that would indicate an E Sharp looks similar, but you would see the difference if I could only figure out how to make the symbols show up here. Sorry. mad Look at the 2nd measure, 2nd line, page 2, and the 3rd measure, 1st line, page 3 - each has an F-Sharp accidental, and you can see the difference in the symbols.

Then in the 8th measure, it has a "Fm7/Bb" how is that played?

Ignore the chord markings above the staff. Just tell your brain that they are for guitar players and those crazy people dedicated to improvisation, and forget all about them. Follow the notes on the staff.

Actually, the 7th, 8th and 9th measures all give me problems! crazy

Because of the chord notation? or for other reasons?

Edited by jlynne (10/13/10 07:06 PM)

#1535345 - 10/14/10 12:21 PM Re: Self-Teaching Support Thread [Re: jlynne]
Cobra1365 Offline

Mainly chord notations. I will readily admit, I am weak on chords. I REALLY need to practice them more. They just don't come to me easliy when I see them on sheet music. I end up pausing to think about what I am seeing.

I alos don't fully understand the "to Coda" part. I always thought that mean the way to end the song. Yet it seems you go to the coda and then back to the second verse. Or am I lost here too?

Thanks!

#1535408 - 10/14/10 01:54 PM Re: Self-Teaching Support Thread [Re: Cobra1365]
jlynne Offline

Mainly chord notations. I will readily admit, I am weak on chords. I REALLY need to practice them more.

We all do. wink One step at a time.

I alos don't fully understand the "to Coda" part. I always thought that mean the way to end the song. Yet it seems you go to the coda and then back to the second verse. Or am I lost here too?

Thanks!

You got me there. My copy of the music does not have a Coda. So, I'm not sure what you are seeing. As noted above, we can't post even portions of copyrighted material, so can you describe the notation?

Generally speaking, you are correct, the Coda ends the piece. Just before the actual start of the Coda, you will see the notation, "D.S. ___ al ___ Coda". In the blanks are two weird looking characters. The first is a lazy S with an inverted percent sign superimposed on it. That is the "Segno" or "sign". That same character will appear by itself at some point in the music - usually toward the beginning. The second character is the Coda sign. It looks like a capital letter "O" with an inscribed plus sign or cross. That sign also appears by itself - at the start of the Coda.

Playing through the first time, when you reach "D.S. __ al __ Coda, you return to the point in the music where the Segno appears by itself, and play from there until you are directed to go "to Coda," at which point you jump to the Coda sign and then play to the end.

Does that help, or have I confused you more?

[edit] PS: If you really can't make yourself ignore the chord notation, this site may be of some help. 8notes

Edited by jlynne (10/14/10 03:42 PM)

#1535460 - 10/14/10 04:09 PM Re: Self-Teaching Support Thread [Re: jlynne]
Cobra1365 Offline

Quote:
Playing through the first time, when you reach "D.S. __ al __ Coda, you return to the point in the music where the Segno appears by itself, and play from there until you are directed to go "to Coda," at which point you jump to the Coda sign and then play to the end.

Does that help, or have I confused you more?

That part clears it up! Thanks!

I sent you a PM about the score.

Edited by Cobra1365 (10/14/10 04:14 PM)

#2208329 - 01/04/14 09:05 PM Re: Self-Teaching Support Thread [Re: tangleweeds]
FrostyKeys Offline

Hi, resurrecting this thread because besides it being awesome, I have a question.

I had a teacher for two years, and learned a lot....well a lot for two years. Anyway, I simply can not afford a teacher anymore. Does anyone think those two years should be enough foundation for me to go it alone with significantly less likelihood of bad habits?

I read these forums, music theory books, and watch videos, which, while not an actual person, are a type of teacher in my eyes.

#2208347 - 01/04/14 10:00 PM Re: Self-Teaching Support Thread [Re: tangleweeds]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
It's an interesting question and I don't feel experienced enough to really answer but my insight is this.

I have had a teacher for a year, I got a teacher a couple of months after starting piano. Except for the very start I virtually have always picked the repertoire I practice/learn and during the year it feels I have guided the general direction. I like having a teacher for the tricky questions that pop up but I think I could live without one when there is a great resource like PW.

I am highly motivated and disciplined in my practice so don't need the motivation of a weekly session. Using my books, PW, and the internet I can usually work out any problem that arises. What I feel my teacher really provides is a guide and a sounding board. I think these are important elements but to be honest I do wonder if I could get by without them. I think probably not as there would be something nagging at me am I still doing the right thing all the time. But if it were a financial decision I could go without and still maintain learning and improving.

Page 12 of 14 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
72 registered (Baudelaire, barbaram, a-z0-9, AndrewJCW, 20 invisible), 1328 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75553 Members
42 Forums
156220 Topics
2294268 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Best Digital Piano for Touch
by JoeCPiano
3 minutes 52 seconds ago
Happy Birthday Cinnamonbear!
by Kuanpiano
Yesterday at 11:17 PM
Finger "Tapes": Purpose?
by CleverName
Yesterday at 10:56 PM
Accessories needed for grand pianos.
by Stevio55
Yesterday at 08:31 PM
Schulze Pollmann 113e Moderno detail information?
by pdxfz1
Yesterday at 07:12 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission