2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (accordeur, Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,891 guests, and 287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 20 21
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I thought the point of this thread would be simply to provide support among those of us learning without direct support from teachers. We're all seeking indirect support--from each other, from YouTube, books, DVD, concerts, etc. Would it be better to have a good teacher? Yes, of course. But they cost money some of us don't have.

Let's try working from where we are: we're self-learners who love what we're learning, and want to improve as best we can in the most efficient and painless way possible.

Perhaps then , we can think about what are important things for people starting on the journey of self teaching to know.

Links to sites that explain posture and correct placement of hands.
Theory sites.
Tips on how to practice, how to fix mistakes.

How do we organise it so the info doesn't get lost in chat about the merits of teaching via self taught ?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tangleweeds
I was wondering whether it might be possible to have a thread that was officially a safe space to talk about self-teaching. I've been searching back threads about the subject, and they seem to all eventually get derailed into arguments that self-teaching dooms one to pianistic heck.

This seemed like such a good idea at the start, but it seems that another derailment was immediately and inevitably in progress - you should have posted a sign: NO TEACHERS ALLOWED!

Don't you teachers have a whole damn Forum of your own? So, unless you have something positive and helpful to say about self-teaching... We've heard all the negative stuff before in any number of other threads... Apparently some of you don't get it, or just can't help yourself & you're failing to honor and respect the OP's original intention for this thread..

JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Like I've said, we've sworn an oath!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by John Frank
This seemed like such a good idea at the start, but it seems that another derailment was immediately and inevitably in progress - you should have posted a sign: NO TEACHERS ALLOWED!

Don't you teachers have a whole damn Forum of your own? So, unless you have something positive and helpful to say about self-teaching... We've heard all the negative stuff before in any number of other threads... Apparently some of you don't get it, or just can't help yourself & you're failing to honor and respect the OP's original intention for this thread..

JF

Good post, JF

Joe Whitehead ------ Texas Trax
Ejay rolls up a big soft fluffy pillow and bashes Keyboardklutz over the head.

I must admit I read and have posted in the teachers thread, perhaps a better request would be no teachers or indeed anyone criticising the decision to self teach. I am happy and grateful for any supportive tips and critique from the teachers here.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by John Frank

Don't you teachers have a whole damn Forum of your own?

We do, and several self-taught non-teachers post there, and we let them and they are not censored.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
I will be honest and say I have posted a lot in this thread (just can't help it) - but then who is forced to read them? I think John is right many posters would love a thread excluding teachers (I don't agree with them though).

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I would say teachers would probably be welcome to post as long as they are supportive and not disparaging one's reasons to self teach.

Joe Whitehead ------ Texas Trax
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I think TLT said it best - "there is no teaching, only learning." We're all self-taught. And one of the resources that can be enormously helpful is a good teacher.

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Question:

What exactly are the criteria for "Self-Taught" on this thread?

* Is it only for those who never had a teacher?

* Or how about those who had a teacher, but now self-teach?

* Or those who currently have a teacher, but augment the lessons by self-teaching themselves a different style of music?

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I'm in the second category, too. Two teachers when I was a teenager. Neither was very good, unfortunately.

I don't think anyone should feel inhibited about participating. There are so many knowledgeable people posting on all the forums, and I want to learn from them.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
By the way, I seem to recall reading that Alfred Brendel was self-taught for the most part. He turned out OK.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by moscheles001
By the way, I seem to recall reading that Alfred Brendel was self-taught for the most part. He turned out OK.

Actually, he had numerous teachers up to the age of 16, including studies at a Conservatory, then as an adult some master classes.

This quote is from his biography at his official website:

His father then went to Zagreb and became the director of a cinema. Here Alfred Brendel was given his first piano lessons at the age of six from Sofia Dezelic (he also appeared at a children's theatre in Zagreb) and had a succession of early teachers as the family moved on, returning after the War to a place near Graz where Brendel pere worked in a department store.

Here Alfred studied at the Graz Conservatory with Ludovika von Kaan (who had studied with one of Liszt's more illustrious pupils, Bernhard Stavenhagen) as well as private composition lessons with Artur Michl, a local organist and composer. After the age of sixteen, the little formal training he had had came to an end. Apart from attending a few master classes he had no further teachers.

He likes to call himself "Self-Taught", but that sounds like spin to me, because he did have piano teachers, one of which was a star student of Liszt.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
Originally Posted by gmm1
But, I have to ask, what is it about my way that is so wrong? I don't care that I am doing something wrong that will keep me from playing advanced pieces if I don't fix it now while it's easy. I can play this piece now. I am probably never going to reach that level anyway, so let me enjoy what I can do now.

Mistakes are relative. My goal is to enjoy myself now, not to play "correctly", whatever that means.
The trouble is piano teachers have a kinda Hippocratic Oath which forbids them to allow you to hobble yourself.

Ah Klutz, you made me laugh....I understand JF's point, but must admit I enjoy the posts here from teachers.

To Rocket's point, I don't remember if you were around, but a while back the teachers had a huge thread on "teacher's only" .. I took it to heart and rarely post or visit anymore ( unless I get a note to check something out, like the "worst article" thread).

Everyone is welcome says me....

"There is nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself." Johann Sebastian Bach/Gyro
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gmm1

To Rocket's point, I don't remember if you were around, but a while back the teachers had a huge thread on "teacher's only" .. I took it to heart and rarely post or visit anymore ( unless I get a note to check something out, like the "worst article" thread).

I remember that conversation, and recall that the consensus was that anyone can post on the teachers forum, not just teachers.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Moving forward, I would like to share what has been perhaps the most helpful thing for me in my self-teaching career: making as recording of myself and playing it back - listening critically. It's painful at times - those times when I don't sound very good. But it has always been most worthwhile.

For this purpose I have a zoom digital recorder, which I love.

It's also a good self-motivational feature - to make recordings as a record of my progress. Without a teacher, this is all I have to tell myself I'm getting better.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
I'll go back and look (when I get time...)but I remember quite a few wanted an area for themselves. Some, like this thread, did not care, but the feeling I have is my posting will be tolerated but not welcome...

And, I have no problem with that. It is the Teachers Forum after all.

I will go back and check my memory.

"There is nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself." Johann Sebastian Bach/Gyro
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
Originally Posted by moscheles001
So those of us who can't get a teacher are just doomed to failure?
No, just failure to reach your true potential.
To a certain extent where we are born and who our parents are has already set many of us up to never reach our "full potential" in many areas of life. Its just the way things are.

In KK's defence most of what he's posted here so far has actually been reasonably supportive. He's admitted most people even with a teacher are likely to develop at least some nad habits at some point.

Now on to the origional purpose of the thread.
I've found some of Lypur's lessons on youtube to be helpful, although I haven't watched any lately. There's even one about setting realistic goals as a self-learner.

There's a note reading game/app on facebook I used for a while, somewhat helpful as a drill for recognizing individual notes quickly.

Right now I'm using a tutorial from "pianojohn113" on youtube to help me learn a Beatles song. I'm using music which he seems to be really close to so even the few notes that may be different I don't consider an issue. His explaination of the tempo/dynamics of the song so far heve been very helpful. I can post links to any of these later if someone would like me too, but I don't have time right now.

In classical music the grading system is helpful for the self learner to figure out which pieces may be within their reach, but there's nothing like this for non-classical. With all the different arrangements available it would be impossible but it would be helpful to maybe list songs(and which arrangement we used if we used music) and how hard or easy we found them to be.

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I tried to watch Lypur's videos, but I can't hear a word he is saying, its so quiet.

Page 4 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 20 21

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission