2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

Believe it or not, we are already planning our schedule of classes for the 2011 PTG Technical Institute in Kansas City, Missouri. To shake things up and create some intrigue, Institute Director, Marc Poulin has set the goal of having a curriculum of all new classes!

His criteria are thus:

1. A new class or instructor that has never been offered before.
2. A class that has been taught at the chapter or regional level but never at an annual event.
3. A class that is so old that it will SEEM like a brand new class!

[Linked Image]
While Marc has taken a bit of flak for this theme, I was impressed to see how many instructors at the Las Vegas convention were enthusiastic about the challenge! You could literally see their mental gears turning as they mulled over this idea, and the classes have already started coming in!

This year I would like to use Pianoworld to help develop some ideas for new classes. Since this forum is a mix of PTG and non-PTG piano technology enthusiasts, it will be a terrific venue for this discussion.
[Linked Image]
I put forth the following questions:

• What would YOU (yes I mean YOU!) like to see at an annual convention?
  • What classes can we offer that will most benefit the piano playing public?
  • What classes can contribute best to the well being of piano technicians?
  • Is there a particular instructor that needs to be seen? (note: not all instructors have to be PTG members)

Thank you! I look forward to your creative responses!

Ryan Sowers, RPT
Assistant Director
2011 PTG Technical Institute
Kansas City, MI

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
I would really like to see a wood technology class - Bruce Hoadley possibly?
How about an amature rebuilders showcase. Bring in the first complete rebuild for scurtiny by the pros.
In 2005 the regional conference we did at the university we had a dead room in the physics lab. It was a great place for an acoustics class but we could not put it together.
I don't think that Del taught his scale class at a national yet - using his jig thing that demonstrates tone based on wire perameters like diameter, tension and tail length etc.

x-rpt
retired ptg member
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Gene Nelson
....I don't think that Del taught his scale class at a national yet - using his jig thing that demonstrates tone based on wire perameters like diameter, tension and tail length etc.

I have been asked about this but....
The dual mono-chord is somewhat heavy and is difficult (though certainly not impossible) to ship. I did short versions of the class in Denver, Colorado (as part of an all-day seminar) and in Belleview, Washington and found that three hours is just barely adequate to get some of the basic ideas across.

Most recently I did an all-day seminar in Sacramento (where I could drive and haul the equipment with me) that was, I thought, somewhat more successful in large part because I had experienced piano rebuilders (Dale Fox and Brett Dearing) to assist in the switchover between string setups. I’m not sure I’d want to do the class again without this kind of assistance. And I’m undecided about trying to do a presentation featuring the dual mono-chord in a standard three hour class format (i.e., two 1-1/2 hour sessions).

I am planning another three-day in-shop seminar that will incorporate the dual mono-chord as an integral part of the curriculum.

We’ll see.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Del

I am planning another three-day in-shop seminar that will incorporate the dual mono-chord as an integral part of the curriculum.

We’ll see.

ddf

When?

Dale Fox
Registered Piano Technician
Remanufacturing/Rebuilding
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Dale Fox
Originally Posted by Del

We’ll see.

ddf

When?

When I'm not in Korea or China. I'll let you know.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
ddfandrich@gmail.com

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Del, any chance you might be teaching that (maybe a 2 * 1.5 hour version) or any other classes at the 2011 Western/Pacific Conference? I'm still undecided about whether or not I'm going (am hoping to go) but if you're teaching classes there it may(?) help sway my decision in favor of going... if financial issues don't get in the way (like they very nearly did with the convention in Vegas)...

1950 (#144211) Baldwin Hamilton
1956 (#167714) Baldwin Hamilton
You can right-click my avatar for an option to view a larger version.
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by 88Key_PianoPlayer
Del, any chance you might be teaching that (maybe a 2 * 1.5 hour version) or any other classes at the 2011 Western/Pacific Conference? I'm still undecided about whether or not I'm going (am hoping to go) but if you're teaching classes there it may(?) help sway my decision in favor of going... if financial issues don't get in the way (like they very nearly did with the convention in Vegas)...

Sorry, I don't know as yet. Depends on timing--will I be in the country? And time--will I have enough time to prepare something useful? And resources--can I afford to make the trip? And being asked.

ddf

Last edited by Del; 07/05/10 12:40 PM.

Delwin D Fandrich
ddfandrich@gmail.com

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Very good suggestions so far!I just tracked down Professor Hoadley's email address and sent him an invitation. It will be exciting if he can participate!

There was another gentleman who gave a terrific wood technology class years ago at a regional conference. I think his name may have been Lee Josa, but I can't seem to find anything online about him, so I may not have his name quite right. I believe he was a Canadian resident. He also taught a beginning wood carving class that was well received.

Del - There may be someone from Seattle driving to Kansas city. Roger Gable may be one of them - perhaps he could haul your fixtures. I'll check into this.

Another class idea that someone mentioned to me recently was one about chemicals that are used in the piano trade - their toxicity and safe handling. Also understanding how different types of lubricants work. This could be a sort of "chemistry 101" for piano technicians. I don't know who would teach it. Any ideas? Del, would this be up your alley?

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by rysowers
There was another gentleman who gave a terrific wood technology class years ago at a regional conference. I think his name may have been Lee Josa, but I can't seem to find anything online about him, so I may not have his name quite right. I believe he was a Canadian resident. He also taught a beginning wood carving class that was well received.

It is Les Joso, I believe. Last I heard he still lived in Vancouver, BC. Check with Rod--someone in the Vancouver chapter should be able to track him down. Best class on wood I ever saw. Informative and highly entertaining!

Del - There may be someone from Seattle driving to Kansas City. Roger Gable may be one of them - perhaps he could haul your fixtures. I'll check into this.

Be better than shipping it. What are the chances of making it an all-day affair ala Sacramento? Check with Dale Fox and Gene Nelson.

Another class idea that someone mentioned to me recently was one about chemicals that are used in the piano trade - their toxicity and safe handling. Also understanding how different types of lubricants work. This could be a sort of "chemistry 101" for piano technicians. I don't know who would teach it. Any ideas? Del, would this be up your alley?

Nope. I’m not a chemist.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
ddfandrich@gmail.com

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Is Franz Mohr still around? I've never met him, and if he's still alive, would love the opportunity, but don't really feel like traveling to NYC at this time (and by the time I can afford a trip like that he'd be almost 200 if he was still alive).

1950 (#144211) Baldwin Hamilton
1956 (#167714) Baldwin Hamilton
You can right-click my avatar for an option to view a larger version.
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by 88Key_PianoPlayer
Is Franz Mohr still around? I've never met him, and if he's still alive, would love the opportunity, but don't really feel like traveling to NYC at this time (and by the time I can afford a trip like that he'd be almost 200 if he was still alive).

Excellent idea, 88key! I'll check into this. BTW, it was nice to meet you in Las Vegas! You are wise to take advantage of the educational opportunities the guild offers.

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by rysowers

I think that's a fantastic idea for a class.

Tuner-Technician

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Agreed! What with all the lead, teflon, mclube, methanol (bad!), lacquer, acetone, etc. that we're exposed to all the time, this a great idea for a class. In fact, someone could take the class notes and turn it into a nifty brochure/bulletin for distribution among technicians.

Shop safety is up there too. Also hearing protection, but that one is already being covered.

Zeno Wood, Piano Technician
Brooklyn College
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
After the long EBVT thread, I'd be happy to give "An introduction to Temperaments" - an understanding of Jason Kanter's www.rollingball graphs. When I usually give a similar class, I tune three or more pianos so that participants have a chance to "feel" the tuning from the bench - I think it is a different experience from hearing from the audience.

The class usually branches out to include ETD tuning, the Bach/Lehman temperament story, and stretch preferences as well as temperament choices.

These types of classes always depend on the willingness of the class to participate by bringing even the easiest repetoire to play...

Ron Koval
chicagoland

Piano/instrument technician
www.ronkoval.com

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Zeno Wood
Agreed! What with all the lead, teflon, mclube, methanol (bad!), lacquer, acetone, etc. that we're exposed to all the time, this a great idea for a class. In fact, someone could take the class notes and turn it into a nifty brochure/bulletin for distribution among technicians.

Shop safety is up there too. Also hearing protection, but that one is already being covered.

Hi there Zeno! It's hard to believe it hasn't even been a week since we had dinner in the "Miracle Mile"!
[Linked Image]. Jean and I finally had dinner at Ellis Island the next night. It turns out we were in the wrong part of the building when we went there! And the rumors were true: $1.50 micro brews while you wait!

The trick with this class will be to find someone qualified to teach it! But I agree it is a very important topic. It seems I recall that Doug Wood in Seattle had a chemistry background and had maybe taught a similar class years ago. He'll be recovering from his bicycle accident for a while, but maybe this would be a good time for him to work on a class!

If anyone out there knows a good instructor for this topic let me know! I'll check the pianotech list as well.

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RonTuner
After the long EBVT thread, I'd be happy to give "An introduction to Temperaments" - an understanding of Jason Kanter's www.rollingball graphs. When I usually give a similar class, I tune three or more pianos so that participants have a chance to "feel" the tuning from the bench - I think it is a different experience from hearing from the audience.

The class usually branches out to include ETD tuning, the Bach/Lehman temperament story, and stretch preferences as well as temperament choices.

These types of classes always depend on the willingness of the class to participate by bringing even the easiest repetoire to play...

Ron Koval
chicagoland

Ron! I like this idea! It's especially fun to have public figures at the convention. You've attained a certain level of fame through your youtube videos! This would be an opportunity for people to learn from you in person. Can you send me a more detailed class description so I can bring it to the Institute Director?

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
Along the Hoadley theme: woodworking for piano technicians. For those of us who are primarily tuner-techs, are generally handy, but haven't bought their first major power tool yet. Cut, plane, and assemble a sound board. Make repairs to existing piano parts in the case, action. Make your own bridge. I know, I know, those are all all-day/week classes, but not the introduction to the common things done on the drill press, table, band, and miter saw, etc. Building a woodworking shop specifically tailored to piano work, showing what you need, what you would like, and where you go all-out. Maybe it's been done and I just haven't been around long enough.

Jim Moy, RPT
Moy Piano Service, LLC
Fort Collins and Loveland, Colorado
http://www.moypiano.com
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jim Moy
Along the Hoadley theme: woodworking for piano technicians. For those of us who are primarily tuner-techs, are generally handy, but haven't bought their first major power tool yet. Cut, plane, and assemble a sound board. Make repairs to existing piano parts in the case, action. Make your own bridge. I know, I know, those are all all-day/week classes, but not the introduction to the common things done on the drill press, table, band, and miter saw, etc. Building a woodworking shop specifically tailored to piano work, showing what you need, what you would like, and where you go all-out. Maybe it's been done and I just haven't been around long enough.

I feel the same way! I wish I had taken WAY more woodworking classes in high school and college.

Now we just need to find the right person to teach "Basic Woodworking for Piano Technicians". I'll check with the pianotech list too. A couple of people are coming to mind...

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
There is a violin maker in Cincinnati who use to be an industrial chemist. I haven't talked to him in a few years, but he might fit the bill. I could try to look him up if there is interest. He gave me stern warnings about the dangers of lacquer thinner, acetone, etc. He use to work with them all the time, and I think suffers some long term nervous system damage. He said he wore full protection, but it still seeps into the bloodstream. It's one reason I haven't had much interest in getting back into the refinishing part of trade.

Roy Peters, RPT
Cincinnati, Ohio
www.cincypiano.com
R
RPD Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
How about a class entitled "The Well Tooled Shop: All the Tools Necessary to Expand into Regulation, Rebuilding and Restoration"

I know it varies from tech to tech, but we've got a fairly large and full time shop here, and its taken us years to tool up the way we are now...and we're still refining. It would be a great class for beginners, but also for experienced tech's looking to take in larger jobs. The one-bench shop could be covered too, for smaller operations.

Perhaps its been done (certainly in derivative form through accumulated classes etc, but my idea would target JUST setting up a shop)...we're planning to attend in Kansas, and that's my 2 cents.

The rest of the ideas look great, BTW!

RPD

Last edited by RPD; 07/06/10 10:21 PM.

MPT(Master Piano Technicians of America)
Member AMICA (Automated Musical Instruments Collector's Association)
(Subscriber PTG Journal)
Piano-Tuner-Rebuilder/Musician
www.actionpianoservice.com
DEALER Hailun Pianos
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission