Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#1469701 - 07/07/10 06:26 AM Re: Rach and his 2nd sonata [Re: Damon]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
Too true Canonie from Oz,

I can read the MIDI format ... I call it by that name so that the folk don’t throw too many stones at me ... nobody likes a smart-alec ... as a fresh 26 year old architect visiting London (and working in the office of Sir Basil Spence - designer of the New Coventry Cathedral) I dreamt up the graphic format , using the Pathetique Sonata as first prototype ... 40 years later I am fortunate enough to be able to download, print and play some thousand transcribed keyboard masterpieces.

Here’s what you asked for ... MIDI of the opening 32 measures to the Beethoven sonata
Opus 111 ... I’ve just re-visited the gem at my Grotrian Steinweg and came all over goose-bumps ... images of stone-deaf Beethoven crashing those dramatic chords in the opening 4 measures ,,, and repeating the Theme higher at m5-8 (those racy arpeggio runs need some working on) ... then those glorious chiming converging chords from m9-16 ... ominously dropping the LH chord at m19 to maintain the meeting arms ... the chord at m21 drips with the finality of doom ... only to rumble into an even more macabre passage at 21-24 ... while m25-28 is positively ghoulish ending in a sepulchral pp trill.

You will notice on the graphic the six octaves of the keyboard ... divided by bold C lines ... pitch is accurately measured up and note duration across ... sharps and flats fall away by giving equal space to each of the 12 basic keyboard notes ... and numbering the notes
similar to the familiar 5 minute divisions on a clock face:
60 (C) 05, 10 (D) , 15, 20 (E) . 25 (F) , 30, 35 (G) , 40, 45 (A) , 50, 55 (B) , 60 (C)

After you’ve had your nervous breakdown ... you might like to chat some more ... it should be pointed out however, that the mind-set of the alphabetic notation makes change nigh impossible.

PS The success of the format lies in snap-reading the overall picture of the music ... where the individual notes merely articulate the shape... the grey areas represent compound sound (ie chords)

Edited by btb (07/07/10 06:49 AM)

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1469745 - 07/07/10 08:43 AM Re: Rach and his 2nd sonata [Re: btb]
Canonie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Wow btb, I'm having a good look at it now. There are dynamics and performance indications! I've seen these when you've posted them before but never realised you used them for reading. Sorry for this thread derail but I don't spose it matters too much at this stage.

I assume this works well when you have a good sound memory of the piece, or use a recording alongside - is that right? I can see the bold lines inside the grey areas to accurately mark the notes of the chords.

And have you ever tried to read a new (to you) piece notated in this method, or got someone else to try this? It's hard to imagine that this is possible except for much simpler pieces than this. Would you say there is less detail possible in this format? or would it be possible to develop the language further?

Thanks for the explanation, I find alternative notations fascinating. My students occasionally come up with bizarre methods of notating their early compositions - things I'd never think of.

Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.

#1469808 - 07/07/10 10:53 AM Re: Rach and his 2nd sonata [Re: Canonie]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
My apologies I forgot Beethoven loved MIDI. It really is the best way to learn music, how insightful!

Yet you still have the balls to criticize the rest of us, who actually devote time and effort into learning something.. Yeeeah you are always right aren't you. To hell with the proper format. Oh and the second sonata is sure a piece of crap.

I think I'm goin to stop wasting my time with your amazing words of wisdom. You should feel special - you're the first user I'm ever going to put on my ignore list! Yay!

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#1469813 - 07/07/10 11:01 AM Re: Rach and his 2nd sonata [Re: Pogorelich.]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
My search for anything new to process is like blotting paper ... anything to make my day ... but to give you some idea of the vast territory covered ... here’s a popular song by Leonard Bernstein from "West Side Story" ... the haunting "Maria".

You will notice that the lyrics are neatly perched above the keyboard outlines ... in this case there’s even a snap of a youthful Bernstein (sadly smoked himself to death ) ... I tend to play this party-piece at the drop of a hat ... don’t tempt me.

Anything new which might be spotlighted by one of our colleagues is accessed through IMSLP as with the Rachmaninoff sonata op. 36 ... thus the 40m graphic posted ... by which the content is discovered as a graphic shape ... in this case, because of the scattered nature of the note patterns and the spread between LH and RH roles, it took a few play-throughs before the music gelled.

Kind regards,

#1469819 - 07/07/10 11:16 AM Re: Rach and his 2nd sonata [Re: btb]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I don't understand the point of these when it's all too obvious from the score.

And yes, op.111 is beyond my reach, but I don't see how it becomes any closer when translated into midi. Heck, I don't even know what you're talking about any more.
Franck - Violin Sonata

#1469831 - 07/07/10 11:49 AM Re: Rach and his 2nd sonata [Re: Kuanpiano]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
I don't think anyone knows.. hahahahaah..

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
119 registered (BaR, Augustina, BB Player, Abby Pianoman, 39 invisible), 1496 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76039 Members
42 Forums
157220 Topics
2309179 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Question about 1975 Steinway L
by mahlers2nd
Today at 09:02 PM
Kawai ES7 v1.15 software update - now available
by Kawai James
Today at 08:43 PM
Mason & Hamlin's action vs. Kawai's Millennium III action
by ColinDS
Today at 08:32 PM
Recognising Slash chords by ear
by Visalia
Today at 06:07 PM
Hammer blow distance, dynamic range, controllability
by prout
Today at 05:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission