2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Schubertian

THis is my swan song to Piano Forums. I've got better things to do with my precious time than spend it reading trash like this.

Don't go. Don't let the ignorant bigots win. I agree with your feelings, and that amazingly offensive stuff should have been stopped earlier (and what is left should get deleted), but still, you are infinitely more valuable to us than that twaddle. And note that although the medieval one with the ignorant issues did lots of postings, the actual numbers of people who are more reasonable, educated, and humane is much much larger.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by beet31425

At least it's heartening that the number of small-minded bigots unearthed by this thread is small. Looking on the bright side.

That is a good point.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I am off to bed too (well, with my laptop to do some work smile ), and really hope that either this thread has gone back on track by tomorrow morning or that it has been closed. blush

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Nikolas
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by Nikolas
.....being married with two children counters that pretty well....

Not really.

Don't mean about you or anyone in particular, just in general.

And if what you mean is that it "works" in Greece, we take your word for it.
I dunno... could be my 'greek' thinking here, but it seems to offer some kind of proof about ones sexuality!

It really doesn't offer proof of anything. I know a couple of men who fathered children (and who are now grandfathers, incidentally) who identify themselves as being gay. The fact that they were able to have sex with a woman doesn't mean that it was their main sexual interest and desire.

This reminds me of a Catholic guy in a small town I where I used to live. He was married and had five children before he faced up to the fact that something was really wrong, and that he was mainly sexually interested in other men. He did something interesting; he tried to file a lawsuit to get the Catholic Church to pay child support, on the grounds that they had brainwashed him into assuming he was straight and having all those kids. The case was tossed, but probably more because of lack of good legal representation and money than anything else. I talked to him about it once, and think he was quite sincere about it.

Sexuality seems to be far more flexible that the labels currently being used to describe it. Some people did a study of the sexual practices of migrant farm workers (all men) in the part of the world where I live. They found that a large majority were having sex with each other, even though when at home, they were with their wives. And interestingly, depending on what they actually did, some denied it was even homosexual, in spite of the physical facts.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by wr
THis is my swan song to Piano Forums. I've got better things to do with my precious time than spend it reading trash like this.
Don't go. Don't let the ignorant bigots win. I agree with your feelings, and that amazingly offensive stuff should have been stopped earlier (and what is left should get deleted), but still, you are infinitely more valuable to us than that twaddle. And note that although the medieval one with the ignorant issues did lots of postings, the actual numbers of people who are more reasonable, educated, and humane is much much larger.
+1

Du holde Kunst...
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Boo...Hoo. It must suck to not be able to adjust to society along with the rest of the human race. I suppose we should start excusing all sorts of behavior just to cater to a minority of social deviants? Almost like an unspoken threat: "Please approve of my homosexuality, or I will rape little boys. I will have no choice in the matter! Society is forcing my hand!"

Hey - guess what? - gay people don't think like this. M - your ideas are too pedestrian, too uninteresting to even refute. But for the good of your soul, as an exercise, you should refute them yourself. And start with this premise: gay people are just average joes and jills, just like anyone else - tax paying, responsible adults who don't want pity or 'permission' or scolding or boring hand wringing. We pretty much just want to be left alone to live our own lives without being fired or beaten up or witch hunted or evicted or otherwise slammed around.

If you had bothered to read what this was in response to, you would have noticed I was dismissing this argument that was made by another poster.
I very clearly stated that a pederast should not be seen as a homosexual reacting against discrimination!

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
I am not scandalized by anybody's views. Few things scandalize me anymore, let alone opinions.

Having said this, homosexuality is natural, as natural as drinking water, having blond hair, having big hands or schizophrenia. Is schizophrenia not natural? Please.

I am very disappointed that homosexuality was thrown into the discussion almost from minute one. We were talking paedophilia. By the way, i am a heterosexual.

Sad state of things. Can't say i didn't see this one coming though.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Schubertian, Read through the posts again and I think you will see that the majority here would agree with what you say (I do). Just as in society (and this is a little microcosm of society) there will always be some folks with opposite views, some more outspoken and closed minded than others. It's really a shame that there are folks here that are determined to make the Pletnev issue into a "homosexual" issue rather than what it is, a possible case of pedophilia. A discussion of homosexuality, the morals, it's place in music etc. should be a separate thread (and I suspect a thread that wouldn't live long).

I hope you reconsider your "swan song". And then again, this is just a forum and not really worth getting too heated over. We have enough to deal with with in the real world. smile

Last edited by Peyton; 07/09/10 07:58 AM.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by currawong
Originally Posted by wr
+1

++1

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Oh, my. What's been going on here in the last 17 hours?

Ah, well. At least it's a distraction from the Lebron James fiasco.

Hank Drake

Admin: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VladimirHorowitzPianist

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Hank Drake
Oh, my. What's been going on here in the last 17 hours?

The usual. wink

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
To quote my mother: "We just can't have nice things, can we?"

Last edited by moscheles001; 07/09/10 09:56 AM.
F
F
Originally Posted by charleslang
Originally Posted by theJourney
Horowitz did famously say however that as far as he was concerned there are only three kinds of pianists: gay pianists, Jewish pianists or bad pianists.

Antiquated and a little naive sounding, to my ears. To say nothing of ethnocentric, sexist, culture-centric . . .

There are only two kinds of people in this world: people who try to separate the world into kinds of people, and people who don't.

cool wink
Don't you think that was most probably said with tongue firmly in cheek?

On an unrelated note, +1 again to the 'don't go Schubertian' crowd. It would be a shame to be put off by what really is a tiny minority.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FunkyLlama
Horowitz did famously say however that as far as he was concerned there are only three kinds of pianists: gay pianists, Jewish pianists or bad pianists.

Antiquated and a little naive sounding, to my ears. To say nothing of ethnocentric, sexist, culture-centric . . .

There are only two kinds of people in this world: people who try to separate the world into kinds of people, and people who don't.

cool wink

Completely tongue-in-cheek. Rachmaninoff was neither Jewish nor gay, but Horowitz revered him.

Hank Drake

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Hank Drake
Originally Posted by FunkyLlama

cool wink

Completely tongue-in-cheek. Rachmaninoff was neither Jewish nor gay, but Horowitz revered him.

Maybe that can excuse it, but I don't understand the humor. Just speaking honestly.

Semi-pro pianist
Tuesdays 5-8 at Vince's West Sacramento, California
OK, let's take the challenge of explaining a joke -- rarely easy.

He happened to notice (as I think would have been impossible not to notice, if you were in that crowd) that at the time, a great many top pianists were Jewish, and many others were gay -- and especially because he was both, and probably also to tweak some very fine pianists of his acquaintance who were neither Jewish nor gay, he made an exaggeration out of it.

(OK, not a great explanation, but I said it wasn't easy......) ha

P.S. I think it was a great and hilarious joke.
BTW....Are there any other (arguably) great funny lines attributed to Horowitz?? I don't think so.....

edit: I googled, and got reminded of this other one (which I don't think is that great, because I don't think it was particularly true, and IMO this one doesn't work if it wasn't):

"My face is my passport."

....as well as this other one, which IS funny but probably wasn't intended to be:

"My future is in my past and my past is my present. I must now make the present my future."

Last edited by Mark_C; 07/09/10 11:23 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
BTW....Are there any other (arguably) great funny lines attributed to Horowitz?? I don't think so.....

"When I go onstage, I want to make sure everything is perfect. I check all the details, to make sure my shoes are tied, to make sure my fly is closed. If they are open they are terrible."

"Scarlatti is the master of Grosse Kleinkunst, which is preferable to Kleine Grosskunst."

Last edited by Hank Drake; 07/09/10 11:28 AM. Reason: another quote

Hank Drake

George Szell
LOL.....even without knowing that line (as I didn't), don't most of us have dreams where we're out there playing the piano, and we realize we forgot to put our clothes on.....

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
. . . probably also to tweak some very fine pianists of his acquaintance who were neither Jewish nor gay, he made an exaggeration out of it.

That was my original interpretation of it. I'm sure it's fun to push the 'pendulum' the other way, since there has been so much historical oppression of both groups. But I still just don't approve of any group talk. For all the enlightenment in this thread, may I remind that it's a truism that humor is not any excuse.

Last edited by charleslang; 07/09/10 11:49 AM.

Semi-pro pianist
Tuesdays 5-8 at Vince's West Sacramento, California
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mattardo
So you are willing to reject thousands of years of collective human experience, simply because you personally think they were all wrong? Millions of humans got it wrong - but you get it. You're enlightened?
They were just all incredibly ignorant and stupid, and only now can their gross stupidity be lifted by the very vocal protests of certain individuals? That's very arrogant. How do you propose that it hurts nobody? You are making the claim, not me.

Hey, Rettardo, how do you possibly know it was thousands of years of collective human experience? Did you ever think that maybe people were too afraid to admit such things? Come on, even a common 10 year old knows our basic human history. I'm sure you do too.

On a side note, I guess Tchaikovsky was a moron, pretending to be gay when he really wasn't. Because it's not human nature. Oh and gay people DELIBERATELY act gay, just so that they date a sex they don't really like anyway. Would you willingly date another guy? Just out of spite, or out of - I don't know what, you make it up. Hey, you know what, tonight instead of spending the night with my boyfriend, I'm going to head to a bar and chat up some girls. If I'm lucky enough, maybe one of them will come home with me!

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission